Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: January 23rd - New Orleans Pelicans VS Detroit Pistons - 22-25

Pelicans January 23rd - New Orleans Pelicans VS Detroit Pistons - 22-25

Missing AD last game didn't seem to have too much impact, as we steamrolled the ineffectual Grizzlies so hard that their next move was to put Gasol and Conley on the block for trades. So that's nice. Tonight we play the 20-26 Detroit Pistons, at home. They have gone 2-3 in their last five, and their two wins were both by only five points, so they aren't looking great at the moment. We also aren't looking great at the moment, so it actually matches up pretty well with us.

AD will be out again tonight, and it looks like Drummond is going to play (although don't quote me on that for certain) so we're a little outmatched. Hopefully Okafor can dig deep and do some rebounding tonight, cause that's usually not his strength. We're gonna need the entire team crashing the boards. Let's look at their team:

Offensive Rating: 25th
    Defensive Rating: 11th
    Boards per game: 20th
    Assists per game: 27th
    Steals per game: 24th
    Blocks per game: 29th
    2pt percentage: 25th
    3pt percentage: 30th

That's right, Detroit is the single worst team from three this season. That should mean that even with our bad perimeter defense, we should be able to do a solid job of covering them. Please. They aren't very good anywhere, to be honest, although they have a reasonably good defensive rating. They don't get a lot of steals or blocks, and while they are 7th in the league in Offensive Rebounds, their defensive rebounding is poor enough that their overall rebounding is dragged down a lot. We should be able to feast on the offensive glass tonight, if the guys really go after it. Theirs is not a motion heavy offense with a lot of passing, so again, that should make it easier on our mediocre defense to handle it.

Their main guys are Drummond, Griffin, and Reggie Jackson. Between the three of them, they have pretty much one superstar. Blake is averaging 26/8/5, and having his best season in years. He's only shooting 36% from three, but that definitely is enough to make sure that you need to guard him, and he's had a few big games to win the Pistons more than they really should have done. Without his occasional explosions, Detroit is probably a 15 win team at this point.

Biggest threat to us on the glass is obviously Drummond, who is averaging 14.9 boards per game, including a ridiculous 5.2 offensive boards. If he can be even slightly hampered on that end of the floor, it will hamstring their already poor offense and really open things up. Honestly, being gifted games against two of the league's worst offenses (Memphis and Detroit) just as AD goes out is probably a lot more luck than we deserve.

Jackson is having a bad season. He's averaging about 15ppg, but on 39% from the floor and 33% from three. He's having a really bad time, and he's not exactly distributing the ball at a high rate to make up for it either. Jrue shouldn't have too much of a defensive assignment this game with Jackson, so he should be able to focus his priority on scoring and making things happen on the other end. Hopefully we'll see a return of Payton's confidence against such a poor guard lineup, and he can contribute at a high level again like he was doing earlier in his games for us.

Let's go and #DoItBig
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    i can see drummond getting about 25 boards tonight and being the leading scorer for them and that may be a good thing.....i hope okafor can draw some fouls on drummond and get his confidence up and have another good game like his 20pt game against Memphis...the offense should flow good tonight also and everyone play their role and we win by 10+....

go pels...

confirmed lineups:

New Orleans Pelicans

PG: Payton
    SG: Holiday
    SF: Moore
    PF: Randle
    C: Okafor

Detroit Pistons

PG: Jackson
    SG: Brown
    SF: Bullock
    PF: Griffin
    C: Pachulia

So, that's done. Pachulia can't guard Okafor. Go to him all night.

Early, our starting five looks cleanly better than theres, no question. Everything can change, but just play with your head on straight and this shouldn't be hard.

Some great d from Okafor early

Okafor has 3 blocks in 4 minutes.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Does Okafor and Randle have 5 blocks already?

Randle has taken two step back jumpers so far, one from 3. He needs to STOP doing that.

can Randle jist play decent d so we can get rid of him easier ********

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    Does Okafor and Randle have 5 blocks already?
    Okafor has 3, Randle has 0.

Oka4 blocks

Okafor is just cooking Zaza

in news from other games, Oladipo went down with a knee injury.

Basketball Guru
    smdh..dont know why gentry was not playing okafor early in this season..

lol, Griffen has more fts then our entire team and we're at home

Tim Frazier with the silliest turnover of the game in only about 20 seconds of play *kisses fingers like Italian chef*

Basketball Guru
    can we please get a backup PG in the weeks coming..

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Tim Frazier with the silliest turnover of the game in only about 20 seconds of play *kisses fingers like Italian chef*

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    can we please get a backup PG in the weeks coming..
    hell no gentry thinks Frazier is the second coming of LeBron obviously

I'd rather Clarke in there atleast he can shoot a little lol

Pistons have 10 more FTAs than us already haha

It's rare to see someone give up on playing defense as blatantly as Randle just did.

Basketball Guru
    blake has 20pts all ready...i guess he will score 80 tonight if we dont get the ball out of his hands when he gets it...

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    hell no gentry thinks Frazier is the second coming of LeBron obviously

lol...

Thread Information