Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Should we tank and become sellers at the deadline?

Basketball Guru
    demps had a couple of crazy moves but injuries to key players have killed our team year after year....if boogie dont go down last season,,we dont know how good him and AD would have been in the playoffs together or this season......some of yall can say injuries as a excuse dont cut it but when its to key players who you count on then yeah its part of the reason the team is not doing good.....

this basketball franchise has been curse for some time now lol....no one can say if we would have built the team slow that none of those draft picks would not have gotten injure either and the team would be in better shape.......the facts are that injuries played a big part in demps or ownership plans to succeed in building a top team...injuries are a fact that no one cant deny played a big part in not getting past the second round in AD stay here....

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    And you will blame him, because he is the face. But as I have been telling you guys for YEARS -- its an ownership issue. If ownership came to Demps today and told him that they know the writing is on the wall and they need to start a rebuild, he would happily become a seller and probably do a good job at it.

The more and more I read message boards and see people on twitter, etc - the more I realize that most of you guys don't really get how this all works. Where the directives come from, who makes the decisions, etc. Many of you hope that Demps is fired and seem to think that some other person will come in and make the decision to do things "the right way" - as if its the GMs decision. But all they are is a patsy acting on the orders of ownership.

It would be like if McDonald's decided to charge $8 for the Big Mac and then you guys went to your local stores and yelled at the managers about it. I don't know why I am trying to explain this to the masses again. I have literally been saying this for years and nothing has changed, but its hard not to try and educate again when so many people just don't seem to understand the basics.
    Really poor analogy here, I get the point but it's clearly not the same case. If you want it to be correct, it would be like McDonald's CEO decided to charge $8 for the big mac and you go yell to the head of pricing/marketing department. And in this case, you'll be at least partly right.

He's GM for the franchise not some random guy on the sales department. Look I understand what you're saying about having to deal with your ownership is always hard tasks and I completly relate to Demps in this case in the light of my own carreer but as GM you are not supposed to always agree with the owner/boss, you have to defend your case for what you think is the best for your franchise/company. If you follow only orders without pleading for what's best you're a terrible GM.

Did Dell defend the long term vision to the ownership ? I can't say, I just hope so but what I can judge is his inability to efficiently plead for it or to showcase it as the best possible way or to find a way to please the ownership without forfeiting the longterm. I'm not saying it would be easy but what I expect from a GM is to have force of persuasion both to sell your team to FA and to talk the ownership into buying in your vision of what's best. I can say that Demps failed at both.

Also I can't blame the ownership for Dell's infatuation for combo guard, young (overpaid) veteran or his inability to identify what's need to make good SF. I never spoke to him and I don't pretend to know why he made these choices (Was it maths/stats based ? Was it belief based ? Was it because he use to be a combo guard ?) but one sure thing : it did not work out.

He's been in NOLA for almost 9 years, he had more chances than any GM not named Ernie Grunfeld, let's move on.

Now is it going to solve all the issue in the franchise ? I don't think so but it's needed to keep at least hope.
    Last edited by Blattman; 01-27-2019 at 05:10 AM.

I understand your guys need to keep hope. I really do. Especially those of you who purchase tickets to this mess.

Knicks fans have hope every time they change GMs too. But somehow every one of those guys fail.

Pels situation isn't that bad, but I will tell you this - This ownership with a really good GM (pick any one you want) has a much lower chance of succeeding than a world in which it had an ownership situation of my choosing and Dell as GM
    @mcnamara247

No excuse for 9 years of mediocrity no matter what ownership may or may not have mandated. He had many years to build a team around a franchise player and he saddled him with overpaid underachievers and also brought in Gentry who’s mostly been a mediocre head coach throughout two decades. Time for a change after the season. No one should be giving Demps a pass at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I understand your guys need to keep hope. I really do. Especially those of you who purchase tickets to this mess.

Knicks fans have hope every time they change GMs too. But somehow every one of those guys fail.

Pels situation isn't that bad, but I will tell you this - This ownership with a really good GM (pick any one you want) has a much lower chance of succeeding than a world in which it had an ownership situation of my choosing and Dell as GM

...is that Dell Demps on the trombone and Michael McNamara playing tambourine??? lol

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

...is that Dell Demps on the trombone and Michael McNamara playing tambourine??? lol
    Great video! Thanks! I think much of the analysis in this thread has a lot of truth to it. NMThreeMVP is right, MM knows what's going on, and sometimes things just are what they are at this point. There are so many directions we can go from here, so I'm just gonna let the cards fall where they may at this point and hope that Dell makes good decisions. Of all the things mentioned that stings the most to me is that Boogie tore his achilles. For all we know, he still wouldn't have been the perfect fit with AD and we would have moved on from him, but the signs were pointing in that direction that it would work, especially by adding Niko to that mix. Oh well!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Slightly off topic - but man, I miss Rondo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    No excuse for 9 years of mediocrity no matter what ownership may or may not have mandated. He had many years to build a team around a franchise player and he saddled him with overpaid underachievers and also brought in Gentry who’s mostly been a mediocre head coach throughout two decades. Time for a change after the season. No one should be giving Demps a pass at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Again, I might be making a point to too complex.for people on a message board to understand. I know with simpler minds, life is an either/or game. There are not layers

So when I say that ownership is most at fault, simple people think that means that I am giving Demps a pass. I am not.

I am saying that you guys keep advocating for a change that will do little to nothing long term. And should we do it? Sure, why not.

But cut to 4 years from now and you will all be back on this same message board advocating for that guy to be fired in hopes that the next Patsy will turn it around.

Because you all want to hope that this is fixable. And good for you - hope can be a nice thing sometimes. But I promise you, until ownership drastically changes their priorities (and I don't think they will), it won't matter if Dell Demps, Dell Computers, or Matthew DELLavadova is GM. It honestly won't

Again, I might be making a point to too complex.for people on a message board to understand. I know with simpler minds, life is an either/or game. There are not layers

So when I say that ownership is most at fault, simple people think that means that I am giving Demps a pass. I am not.

I am saying that you guys keep advocating for a change that will do little to nothing long term. And should we do it? Sure, why not.

But cut to 4 years from now and you will all be back on this same message board advocating for that guy to be fired in hopes that the next Patsy will turn it around.

Because you all want to hope that this is fixable. And good for you - hope can be a nice thing sometimes. But I promise you, until ownership drastically changes their priorities (and I don't think they will), it won't matter if Dell Demps, Dell Computers, or Matthew DELLavadova is GM. It honestly won't
    Where do you get off speaking to other people like that? What makes you believe you are so intelligent to act as if your thoughts are so much more complex and salient than those of other members on the board? Is it from your vast working experience at Arby's? Or Taco Bell? Please, enlighten us, dear guru.

I think you make a lot of valid points and your understanding of basketball business is better than average, but your insistent need to make yourself appear superior to others by using basketball is just gross. You're not any smarter than anyone else here and I'm sure a history of your past takes would prove that. Either way, you seem much more interested in being a fan of being right (or at least appearing that way) than supporting the team. I'm sick of it.

I didn't start off that way. I was actually one of the most helpful and nicest guys on this board years ago. Answered everyone's questions and helped out.

Eventually, you realize it is pointless and that even if you educated one fan, ten dummies will regenerate in their place. So, you just give up and accept there will always be far more dummies than intelligent fans to have a convo with.

Sorry if you were offended, but it is the reality of the situation

There you go again being condescending as usual. You're not as smart as you try to portray and I'm pretty certain I'm as successful if not more and I can definitely look back and post a laundry list of stuff you've been wrong since you were CP3and11others or as the smartest Pelicans blogger in NOLA. Either way, I could care less. The fact is, no one forced Demps to draft Rivers at number 10, or trade a first and deal a bad contract for Asik or give Solo a bad contract and countless other moves he has made while having a top 5 player in the league and still being only able to field a winning team for two of those seasons. He's done a bad job no matter what kind of ownership he's been under and not even someone as smart as you can spin it. So don't come in here with your condescending crap trying to defend someone who's been nothing but below average as a talent evaluator and will be most responsible when AD is in another uniform 6 months from now.

I didn't start off that way. I was actually one of the most helpful and nicest guys on this board years ago. Answered everyone's questions and helped out.

Eventually, you realize it is pointless and that even if you educated one fan, ten dummies will regenerate in their place. So, you just give up and accept there will always be far more dummies than intelligent fans to have a convo with.

The reality is you've been as wrong as anyone the past few years when trying to predict and analyze stuff concerning this franchise, but yet come across as condescending. That's why you mostly get negative responses on this forum. Everyone is going to be wrong about stuff, but not everyone tries to come across knowing more than others or get so defensive whenever someone else has a different point of view. That's the difference between you and mostly others on this board. So just stop with the nonsense.

Its -- 'I couldn't care less' -- just so you know

Anyway changing topics, at this point the Pelicans should field offers for Mirotic and Randle or at least one of them and see if there's a quantity return. I wouldn't just give them away, but at least see what's out there.

Oh, and being different than the other posters on this board, as you put it, is perhaps the highest badge of honor imaginable. So, I thank you for that good sir.

And irregardless isn't a word either, but I've never pretended to be part of the grammar police so good for you.

Yes, original idea. One I laid out in a piece much more elaborately than you did in your very simple post. Hence, evidence that I am better. Because we had similar ideas, but I had it first and laid it out better

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...icans-to-sell/

Correction (I hate to keep having to do this for you) - but irregardless is a word. It acts as a synonym and while you can argue it is unnecessary, you can not make the argument that it isn't a word. Have a great day

Oh, and being different than the other posters on this board, as you put it, is perhaps the highest badge of honor imaginable. So, I thank you for that good sir.
    I guess you are, but I barely come on this forum anyway. But I figured I would pile on Demps as well since it wasn't that popular a few seasons ago even though I always felt he was a subpar GM since forever. I'm still surprised you give him a pass.

Correction (I hate to keep having to do this for you) - but irregardless is a word. It acts as a synonym and while you can argue it is unnecessary, you can not make the argument that it isn't a word. Have a great day
    Who cares? And it's mostly used improperly instead of regardless and irrespective. Anyway, go back to defending Demps like you have since you called him a genius after the Tyreke trade.

How did your serum work out?

And for what it's worth I'd like to think I'm one of the people that you've helped to educate. I started listening to Hornets247 back when we had the Collison/Thornton duo and you and Schwan would do your podcasts. It was my first exposure to basketball discussion beyond ESPN and I thoroughly enjoyed it and eventually got on this forum too. I think on H247/BSS when you could just directly communicate your takes without it being a back and forth conversation, your contributions were really appreciated.

But on the forums I think you've kind of always been this way in the sense that you feel it's your job to educate others. It's not. I think in believing it's your job to educate others you first have to view others needing or even wanting education which in itself is condescending to those of us that feel we already have a good grasp on the game and the business, and simply misguided for those just interested in supporting the team as a means to relax in their time away from work/other obligations. Other Pelicans writers do a good job of putting forth educational content without this problem because I think they just focus on the content only. There is no mission to "help" others. Those that want to become smarter will by reading the content and those that just want to have fun watching the team (and God bless those people right now) may or may not read it. It's up to them. I wish you could just do the same without making it into a personal vendetta to "correct" other people's perspectives of basketball.

It's a really ********ty time to be a Pelicans fan especially for those of us that have been around long enough to see the B. Davis disaster, the heartbreak of the CP3 era and the disappointment of the Davis dynasty that never was. Let's not make it worse than it needs to be.
    Last edited by Bee-Fense; 01-27-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    And for what it's worth I'd like to think I'm one of the people that you've helped to educate. I started listening to Hornets247 back when we had the Collison/Thornton duo and you and Schwan would do your podcasts. It was my first exposure to basketball discussion beyond ESPN and I thoroughly enjoyed it and eventually got on this forum too. I think on H247/BSS when you could just directly communicate your takes without it being a back and forth conversation, your contributions were really appreciated.

But on the forums I think you've kind of always been this way in the sense that you feel it's your job to educate others. It's not. I think in believing it's your job to educate others you first have to view others needing or even wanting education which in itself is condescending to those of us that feel we already have a good grasp on the game and the business, and simply misguided for those just interested in supporting the team as a means to relax in their time away from work/other obligations. Other Pelicans writers do a good job of putting forth educational content without this problem because I think they just focus on the content only. There is no mission to "help" others. Those that want to become smarter will by reading the content and those that just want to have fun watching the team (and God bless those people right now) may or may not read it. It's up to them. I wish you could just do the same without making it into a personal vendetta to "correct" other people's perspectives of basketball.

It's a really ********ty time to be a Pelicans fan especially for those of us that have been around long enough to see the B. Davis disaster, the heartbreak of the CP3 era and the disappointment of the Davis dynasty that never was. Let's not make it worse than it needs to be.
    There's always sim league.

If you ignore MM, he will go away. Just stop talking to him. The dude is nowhere to be found when we are winning then just pops up anytime we're not. It's not that he's right. It's that only one team wins the finals and only a handful of teams have a legitimate shot at it. So when all you do is whine and complain, the odds are it'll line up with the team losing eventually. He is never right on any prediction he makes, his rudeness is a clear sign of a low locus of control because he sucks at what he does, and....really he just sucks at life. But for real, my original handle here is form 2006. The guy has NEVER been right on a prediction or inside sources and has never broken news.

But the main focus here is that if we ignore him as a board he will just go away.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 01-27-2019 at 11:55 AM.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    It's -- just so you know

Thread Information