Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Should we tank and become sellers at the deadline?

I understand your logic, but I can't see him walking for nothing. That's absolute worst case scenario and probably death of the franchise

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    This is all going to end with AD leaving in free agency after next season, isn't it? Desperate trade this year, enough "improvements" that we can sell AD to wait until next February, a decent enough playoff season next year so we don't trade him at the deadline, and then he bounces.

if he is not traded next season then ill believe that he is staying here.....

whoever the GM is,i dont think he will be that stupid to keep AD the whole season unless he agreed to stay or it will be smoke in the city for that GM...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I thought it would take until Feb 2nd for people to come around. Glad it didn't take that long.
    I've been wanting to trade AD since he signed with Clutch Sports. Not because I don't love the guy's game I just don't see how we can put a team around him that will challenge for a title. We're good enough to make the playoffs but not a real contender.

Trade AD and get assets that will set your team up for future success (after the Warriors break up).

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    My proposed 4 team extravaganza poopoo platter of ....buying while selling...

Hornets
    Randle
    Darius

76ers
    Mirotic
    2020 Pels 2nd round

Magic
    Fultz
    Wes Johnson
    Ian Clark
    2019 Pels 2nd round

Pels
    lottery protected 2019 Hornets pick
    MKG
    Aaron Gordon

Now here is where it gets fun this summer..

Boston
    AD
    Solo
    Moore

Pels
    Brown
    Tatum
    Horford
    Future Griz pick (likely 2020)
    Celtics 1st round pick (2020)

2019 Pelicans roll out...

Jrue/Elfrid/Frank
    Brown/2019 pick - Kevin Porter Jr.!
    Tatum/MKG/K.Williams
    Gordon/2019 pick - Jontay Porter!
    Horford/Okafor

That team can defend, run, and competes for a playoff spot. Horford is only dude over 30.

Pels can add to the above using MLE, have their own 2020 pick, Griz 2020 pick, Boston 2020 pick, and have ~$48m in expiring in a summer the cap goes up by ~$10m.

THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 01-24-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    My proposed 4 team extravaganza poopoo platter of ....buying while selling...

Hornets
    Randle
    Darius

76ers
    Mirotic
    2020 Pels 2nd round

Magic
    Fultz
    Wes Johnson
    Ian Clark
    2019 Pels 2nd round

Pels
    lottery protected 2019 Hornets pick
    MKG
    Aaron Gordon

Now here is where it gets fun this summer..

Boston
    AD
    Solo
    Moore

Pels
    Brown
    Tatum
    Horford
    Future Griz pick (likely 2020)
    Celtics 1st round pick (2020)

2019 Pelicans roll out...

Jrue/Elfrid/Frank
    Brown/2019 pick - Kevin Porter Jr.!
    Tatum/MKG/K.Williams
    Gordon/2019 pick - Jontay Porter!
    Horford/Okafor

That team can defend, run, and competes for a playoff spot. Horford is only dude over 30.

Pels can add to the above using MLE, have their own 2020 pick, Griz 2020 pick, Boston 2020 pick, and have ~$48m in expiring in a summer the cap goes up by ~$10m.

THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT.
    Why would the Hornets give up a #1 pick in that trade? That trade does not seem very level.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why would the Hornets give up a #1 pick in that trade? That trade does not seem very level.
    To get off of MKG’s 2019/20 money, make playoffs this year, resign Kemba staying below tax.

It’s projected to be 16th pick. They probably improve on that. It saves them lots of money. Maybe they move Kaminsky/Monk instead of the pick. It would still work and not disrupt any of the rest of the plan.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 01-24-2019 at 01:11 PM.

To get off of MKG’s 2019/20 money, make playoffs this year, resign Kemba staying below tax.

It’s projected to be 16th pick. They probably improve on that. It saves them lots of money. Maybe they move Kaminsky/Monk instead of the pick. It would still work and not disrupt any of the rest of the plan.
    Maybe they add Kamisky, but not a #1. MKG's contract is not outrageous enough to add a #1 as he has some value on the court.

Maybe they add Kamisky, but not a #1. MKG's contract is not outrageous enough to add a #1 as he has some value on the court.
    Fine. Kaminsky and not Jontay Porter. I still like the team, the flexibility, and the assets.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    if he is not traded next season then ill believe that he is staying here.....

whoever the GM is,i dont think he will be that stupid to keep AD the whole season unless he agreed to stay or it will be smoke in the city for that GM...
    He won't tell them that he's staying, so if we don't trade him this summer we will be doing everything possible to convince him to stay which likely means a buying trade at next year's deadline not selling.

Dell is trying to save his job, so expect a terrible trade that sets us up for failure. Ownership has to keep him in line. If this mad lad parts ways with our first rounder, he needs to be vetoed.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Dell is trying to save his job, so expect a terrible trade that sets us up for failure. Ownership has to keep him in line. If this mad lad parts ways with our first rounder, he needs to be vetoed.
    You have it backwards.

If ownership accepted the inevitable outcome that AD is gone and instructed Dell to become a seller and build long term, Dell would do it and I bet he would do a pretty good job.
    @mcnamara247

You have it backwards.

If ownership accepted the inevitable outcome that AD is gone and instructed Dell to become a seller and build long term, Dell would do it and I bet he would do a pretty good job.
    Gayle has the Benson money, but who tells her what the decisions should be? I'm fairly sure she isn't a basketball savant

Luka is tho

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Gayle has the Benson money, but who tells her what the decisions should be? I'm fairly sure she isn't a basketball savant

Luka is tho
    It's not basketball, it's business.

A rebuilding team doesn't sell as many tickets, get as many sponsorships, etc

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive

To run a business, you need to know your product first and foremost.

Does Gayle know the first thing about the game of basketball? That's a pertinent question

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive

To run a business, you need to know your product first and foremost.

Does Gayle know the first thing about the game of basketball? That's a pertinent question
    Do ANY of the owners really know the game of basketball? I see no reason to single out Gayle.

And do the extent that Mickey Loomis acts in his capacity basically as the owner's rep/adviser - I think he probably understands the business of sports better than most owners.

Is the suggestion that we need another layer of bureaucracy inserted between Dell and Mickey? I'm sure in Mickey's mind he's got plenty of people (Avery Johnson, Joe Dumars, others) that he can bounce basketball ideas off of to get outside opinion. Maybe folks think that person needs to be brought in house, but they should understand that they'll still be inserted into the org chart below Mickey and Dennis Lauscha.

Do ANY of the owners really know the game of basketball? I see no reason to single out Gayle.

And do the extent that Mickey Loomis acts in his capacity basically as the owner's rep/adviser - I think he probably understands the business of sports better than most owners.

Is the suggestion that we need another layer of bureaucracy inserted between Dell and Mickey? I'm sure in Mickey's mind he's got plenty of people (Avery Johnson, Joe Dumars, others) that he can bounce basketball ideas off of to get outside opinion. Maybe folks think that person needs to be brought in house, but they should understand that they'll still be inserted into the org chart below Mickey and Dennis Lauscha.
    I've thought about this a lot. Those critical positions in management, let's say GM, shouldn't be left to one person as the sole decision maker. It should be a team of people working towards a common goal. Not a huge team of thousands, let's say 3 to 5 people max. These decisions are worth billions and to leave them to one person is frankly irresponsible.
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-25-2019 at 11:55 AM.

I've thought about this a lot. Those critical positions in management, let's say GM, shouldn't be left to one person as the sole decision maker. It should be a team of people working towards a common goal. Not a huge team of thousands, let's say 3 to 5 people max. These decisions are worth billions and to leave them to one person is frankly irresponsible.
    I assume the team approach is how the Pels have been operating. Ultimately, because of history/seniority, Gayle relies on Mickey and Dennis though. Maybe they need an additional voice in the room beside the GM, or maybe it's just time for a different GM.

Depends on what your rebuild looks like.

I don't believe ticket sales have had dramatic swings at all one way or the other during NBA tenure in New Orleans. And sponsorships are already baked in for the most part. Actual game attendance might suffer, but rebuilding without bottoming out should be the goal and easily doable if you can get the right assets for AD.

You have it backwards.

I don’t think ownership wants to part with AD and begin a rebuild (as you rightly said), but I can see Dell making a big mistake here if the goal is to keep AD. Worst thing we can do here is part ways with our first rounder for a Terrence Ross or Otto Porter. Unless a big trade works in our favor, ownership needs to be wary of a desperate Demps. We can get caught in no man’s land (ala, the original Lakers trade). I hope to the lord ownership tells him the tank is repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I don’t think ownership wants to part with AD and begin a rebuild (as you rightly said), but I can see Dell making a big mistake here if the goal is to keep AD. Worst thing we can do here is part ways with our first rounder for a Terrence Ross or Otto Porter. Unless a big trade works in our favor, ownership needs to be wary of a desperate Demps. We can get caught in no man’s land (ala, the original Lakers trade). I hope to the lord ownership tells him the tank is repaired.
    Our first rounder will likely be 10 or worse this year.

IF/When we trade AD we should expect at least 4 of "guy on rookie contract" or "1st rounder", in addition to having our own first rounders going forward.

If Dell can trade our pick this year for the right guy, I don't mind it all. Just depends on the guy.

If Dell can trade our pick this year for the right guy, I don't mind it all. Just depends on the guy.
    Who would you see that being? I do not think Beal is realistic.

Who would you see that being? I do not think Beal is realistic.
    Not sure. The right guy might not be out there and available. I wouldn't be afraid of salary. The biggest question I'd have to answer is how the player fits in 2019/20 and beyond. Other things to consider in trying to figure out the "who" is actually worth the #1 part of it is whether or not you're also getting off of Solo's money in the same deal. I'll assume you're also including Julius in any deal since the expectation has to be that he walks this summer. Basically too many variables to settle in on a specific guy. Maybe a guard to eventually pair with Jrue and whichever SF is centerpiece of AD trade? A DSJ or D'Angelo Russell centered package? I don't really know. Maybe there isn't a deal to be made. My only point is I'm not opposed to it outright.

I was thinking, and this will be unpopular, that maybe we should take on salary and get additional youth in the process instead of throwing away talent to try and move Hill and/or Moore in an effort to -maybe- resign Randle/Miro. So my idea is, give Charlotte a big chunk of cap space, take Miles Bridges, their 1st round pick (top 5 protected), and some bad contracts that will expire alongside Hill's.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yaf9vp52

We get: Batum, Marv Williams, Bridges, Kaminsky, '19 1st
    They get: Miro, Randle, Moore, Wes Johnson

Depth post-trade:

AD / Okafor
    Marv / Diallo
    Batum / Bridges
    Jrue / Jackson
    Payton / Frazier

we'll have 2 good '19 FRP and solid vets on contract for next year.

Kinda backwards to the direction a lot of people want to go, but does it have any merit?

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I was thinking, and this will be unpopular, that maybe we should take on salary and get additional youth in the process instead of throwing away talent to try and move Hill and/or Moore in an effort to -maybe- resign Randle/Miro. So my idea is, give Charlotte a big chunk of cap space, take Miles Bridges, their 1st round pick (top 5 protected), and some bad contracts that will expire alongside Hill's.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yaf9vp52

We get: Batum, Marv Williams, Bridges, Kaminsky, '19 1st
    They get: Miro, Randle, Moore, Wes Johnson

Depth post-trade:

AD / Okafor
    Marv / Diallo
    Batum / Bridges
    Jrue / Jackson
    Payton / Frazier

we'll have 2 good '19 FRP and solid vets on contract for next year.

Kinda backwards to the direction a lot of people want to go, but does it have any merit?
    Yeah, that's literally all in the article I published. Shouldn't be unpopular at all. Its logical

Yeah, that's literally all in the article I published. Shouldn't be unpopular at all. Its logical

Oh, cool Sorry I'm pretty casual around here these days, didn't know you wrote on this idea.

Thread Information