Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Should we tank and become sellers at the deadline?

Sell sell sell

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I thought it would take until Feb 2nd for people to come around. Glad it didn't take that long.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I thought it would take until Feb 2nd for people to come around. Glad it didn't take that long.
    You think we can get Zion or RJ Barrett this way?

Basketball Guru
    i trust demps will do the right thing in upgrading the bench and the team getting the 7th or 8th seed.....

damn selling..

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Davis likely out until AS break.

You guys still against my idea to become sellers or has reality hit yet?
    If Davis sits out till the allstar break and then plays in the allstar game that'll remove any doubt... he gone. Might as well start having conversations with teams then and there.

I think Demps should gamble without sending out draft picks. If Charlotte gives you a good prospect (Monk or Bridges) to take Batum you gotta consider it. It would both make the team better now and prepare for the rebuild.

Let's face it, the only thing NO cap space is good for is bringing back the core players and at this point the Pels shouldnt be doing that anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    If Davis sits out till the allstar break and then plays in the allstar game that'll remove any doubt... he gone. Might as well start having conversations with teams then and there.
    There is no doubt as is, with the exception of what appears to be a few insane optimists on this board. The hopes/dreams of the playoffs are over and AD is going to tell the team he wants to be traded in the next few months. And you know what -- thats totally fine. He should get out and its not like this era has been so great that we should bemoan the situation anyway.

But they have to accept that reality and move on to the next era as quickly as possible to give the next era the best chance possible to be successful

Hopefully Demps will not waste our 1st rounder at the deadline for some borderline player on a bad contract. Stand pat or sell as much as possible for young talent or picks.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    If you’re convinced AD is gone and you want to sell, shouldn’t you also be shopping Jrue? He’ll be 29 in June. I’m keeping Elfrid and Frank Jackson and moving everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    If you’re convinced AD is gone and you want to sell, shouldn’t you also be shopping Jrue? He’ll be 29 in June. I’m keeping Elfrid and Frank Jackson and moving everyone else.
    Depends how we would do a rebuild. If we go full tank mode than yeah probably you move Jrue too. If we go after a player like Ben Simmons or the young core of Boston then I think Jrue pairs rather well and his deal runs until he is ~32 so it ends at the right time before he declines.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Depends how we would do a rebuild. If we go full tank mode than yeah probably you move Jrue too. If we go after a player like Ben Simmons or the young core of Boston then I think Jrue pairs rather well and his deal runs until he is ~32 so it ends at the right time before he declines.
    Fair point. Simmons for AD has been thrown around. What’s a realistic expectation of what other players/assets would be involved in such a trade?

Fair point. Simmons for AD has been thrown around. What’s a realistic expectation of what other players/assets would be involved in such a trade?
    No I'm not sure. There's a lot of variables.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It'd be only practical at that stage. My problem is I fear if this regime is allowed to remain in place, they'll want to be good sooner than later and continue with the young veteran crap. Instead of building through the draft and developing unrefined talent.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Is a Julius Randle and Wes Johnson for Kaminsky (or Monk) and MKG deal being a buyer or a seller?

I just want the Pels to make the best deals available over the next 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Is a Julius Randle and Wes Johnson for Kaminsky (or Monk) and MKG deal being a buyer or a seller?

I just want the Pels to make the best deals available over the next 2 weeks.
    My feelings exactly. If we have a chance to add a real difference maker this season, go get him. If ithat deal isn’t there, don’t force it. Accept that we need to make moves for next season.

I don't want the team making any moves until they fire Dell Demps. This all ultimately falls on him.

I still think we should keep AD. Look at what other teams are willing to give up, that's an asset you want to keep if you can. AD is still 2 seasons away from entering his prime. Trading him could be devastating when he's ripping the league for the next 7 years.

If we can clear the books for the summer, and have $50+MM to work with plus a top 6-7 draft pick, I think we will be in a good position. We could bring Boogie back, and this free agency is deep enough to fill the roster out. Boogie said it was messed up him and AD didnt get to play together longer and they still talk about it. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...48359065826528

Edit: Also we should consider the personality of Anthony Davis. He actually wants to be here. He doesnt seem like a big market type of guy, dude had a kid and nobody even knew he had a girlfriend. He's that private. He's the same kid that grew 8 inches over a summer and stayed with his school, despite being recruited by top prep schools. He's loyal. Can you say the guys we would be trading for will be loyal? Or will they be more Eric Gordon's? Or will we be looking to see what value we can get for them before they bolt?

Unless he demands a trade, we should be doing everything in our power to build a great team and franchise around AD.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 01-23-2019 at 01:55 PM.

I never assumed Cousins meant play together again on the Pelicans tho

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I never assumed Cousins meant play together again on the Pelicans tho

i was thinking in LA...if AD demand a trade,,i honestly think him and boogie talked about playing for the lakers together...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i was thinking in LA...if AD demand a trade,,i honestly think him and boogie talked about playing for the lakers together...
    Didn't Lebron draft AD and Boogie with his first 2 picks as All Star captain last year... or am I misremembering?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Now I want anything but AD and Cousins on the Lakers.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    The pelicans need to accept reality. There’s no way we are getting to WCF. Definitely not going to Finals. We had 7 years to figure this out and I’m sorry but I think we need to blow this thing up. I want to tank.

1. Trade Randle and Niko.
    2. Tank and hope to get lucky in lotto. You never know... what if we got Zion. Or Ja Morant? I’d try to get a true leader in the draft. Someone who can do it all. If we get lucky and got Zion and there’s still all this AD drama then move him but we have to get someone like Tatum and more.

We could turn this team into something special but it will require luck and really good decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want us to make a deal that sets us up for the best chance of success in the 19/20 season. Success being defined as a team competing for a playoff spot.

What can we get for Niko, Randle, Moore, other expiring contracts? That's what I'm interested in. I don't know if that makes me interested in being a buyer or seller. Is there a young player with upside on a rookie deal that we could get? If our pick is top 4 protected, is there anyone unexpectedly on the market that would be a value for that pick + our other assets? I'm not opposed to taking on salary. If we move AD, Hill and Moore, we'll be well below the tax, have young players on rookie deals, draft assets, and the MLE to use. Even if we add Horford/Hayward in an AD deal, we can still add a 3rd high salary guy if it's the right guy. Beal is obviously not going anywhere, but that's the type of player I'm thinking about. A CJ McCollum type.

I don't want to tank. And I don't want to buy under the illusion that we make the playoffs this year. I want to turn terminating and overvalued assets (draft pick) this year into assets that help next year.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I’d try to get a true leader in the draft. Someone who can do it all.
    I think everyone would want that. How do you suggest we get a true 19 year old "leader" though?

This is all going to end with AD leaving in free agency after next season, isn't it? Desperate trade this year, enough "improvements" that we can sell AD to wait until next February, a decent enough playoff season next year so we don't trade him at the deadline, and then he bounces.

Thread Information