Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Saddle Next GM with Bad Contracts and No Draft Picks?

Why Saddle Next GM with Bad Contracts and No Draft Picks?

Just putting it out there. I posted a similar response under the trade thread but it is buried.

Dell Demps Should Not Be Allowed To Make One More Trade! End of story. He has had 8 years of tinkering. Trading for Boogie (and then not resigning him), signing Rondo (and then not resigning him) and firing Monty Williams are his only accomplishments. Jeff Bower was/is more competent than this guy.

This season is over. 4 games out of 8th might as well be 40 games out. And it should. And next year doesn't look any better - already. Make a run at Calipari. At least try to. Hiring some retread will not ignite a fire under this fanbase. But I have digressed.

Maybe somebody can pass this message along to Airline Drive.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

I hope your wish is correct!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    As long as Demps is GM, he should be allowed to execute the best deals out there that achieve the desired outcomes of the team President and ownership. Period. If they don't want Dell to make a move, they should fire him.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Just putting it out there. I posted a similar response under the trade thread but it is buried.

Dell Demps Should Not Be Allowed To Make One More Trade! End of story. He has had 8 years of tinkering. Trading for Boogie (and then not resigning him), signing Rondo (and then not resigning him) and firing Monty Williams are his only accomplishments. Jeff Bower was/is more competent than this guy.

This season is over. 4 games out of 8th might as well be 40 games out. And it should. And next year doesn't look any better - already. Make a run at Calipari. At least try to. Hiring some retread will not ignite a fire under this fanbase. But I have digressed.

Maybe somebody can pass this message along to Airline Drive.
    rondo left for more money if im correct...not demps fault....

we offered boogie money and i believe it was a fair deal because of his injury for a player his size...not demps fault..

calipari is sure not the answer...

What makes Calipari not a retread? He was terrible in his stint with the Nets. His only claim to fame in Kentucky is signing up the best talent. He couldn't even coach a team of John Wall, Bledsoe and DeMarcus Cousins to a Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    What makes Calipari not a retread? He was terrible in his stint with the Nets. His only claim to fame in Kentucky is signing up the best talent. He couldn't even coach a team of John Wall, Bledsoe and DeMarcus Cousins to a Final Four.
    I believe he had some decent teams at UMass and Memphis. Where this guy goes turns into gold.
    Last edited by AstroFire; 01-19-2019 at 12:36 PM.

I'm out on Calipari. He's a great recruiter and a mediocre coach. But, more and more, I'm in on this idea. If it really is time to finally blow it up (and it's definitely starting to look that way) then no way should Dell Demps be the one making the decisions.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroFire View Post
    I believe he had some decent teams at UMass and Memphis. Where this guy goes turns into gold.
    college one and done players...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    NBA players like him. But if you want Avery Johnson or Isiah Thomas don’t complain when he is a step down from Gentry. Both have been spotted with Loomis at Saints games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    If Lakers fire Walton. Calipari could be heading that way.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Call me crazy, but I think I’m ok with keeping Demps around. Bigger question is what to do moving forward with this team.

Avery Johnson is already being looked at for the next GM spot IMO, Dell wont make it past the offseason..

As far as coach, Calipari would almost guarantee AD stays, but we need a players coach, an up and comer rookie, much like Payton was when he came in and turned the Saints around..

Becky Hammon is that coach, from interviews guys in the Spurs love playing for her, and shes learned under one of the best basketball coaches ever

Hiring the first female head coach would definitely bring media attention to the team.
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

I'm on the fence about Dell. This team should be capable of competing at a higher level and that reflects coaching in my mind. But Demps hired the coach so...

Letting go of Monty the way he did was a bad look, he had warts but what coach doesn't? I actually wish we would have brought in SVG. I would still like to bring him in if (when) they send Gentry packing.

As far as Dell though, ultimately I think you keep him around until AD asks to be traded. Then you fire him and the next guy handles the AD trade.

AD leaving or staying is the ultimate measuring stick for Dell's job performance. I guess I just figured out what I think we should do with Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Avery Johnson is already being looked at for the next GM spot IMO, Dell wont make it past the offseason..

As far as coach, Calipari would almost guarantee AD stays, but we need a players coach, an up and comer rookie, much like Payton was when he came in and turned the Saints around..

Becky Hammon is that coach, from interviews guys in the Spurs love playing for her, and shes learned under one of the best basketball coaches ever
    we already have a players coach we need someone the complete opposite or somewhere in between.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

If she has half the fire and knowledge Nancy Lieberman has, I'm in. And I think she does. It's not going to be a pretty situation for the next four or five years.

Calipari changes the narrative from when is the franchise moving to Seattle to how quickly can we contend. I'm more worried about actually keeping this franchise.

I personally don't hate Dell as much as a lot of people, however I think in a situation where AD leaves, you pretty much have to also clean house.

What about Rajon Rondo as head coach? He would be the youngest ever but I bet he could keep AD and even bring Boogie back. And he's probably top 3 basketball minds in the world, players and coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    What about Rajon Rondo as head coach? He would be the youngest ever but I bet he could keep AD and even bring Boogie back. And he's probably top 3 basketball minds in the world, players and coaches.
    Rondo signed a 2 yr deal this summer. I'd assume he would want that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Rondo signed a 2 yr deal this summer. I'd assume he would want that money.
    No, it was a 1 year 9 mil deal he signed

If you sign Rondo as the head coach and he also plays does he count against the cap? Maybe partial cap charge? LOL

No, it was a 1 year 9 mil deal he signed
    Ah yes, I just checked it was for one year. Maybe he hangs it up after this year and wants to coach. I'm not sure he's ready to be on the sideline though.

I'ts not exactly clear in your post, are you wanting to replace Dell with Calipari as the GM?

The Franchise
    To me nothing changes. Trade for star and if you don’t see a way to make playoffs then sell off Niko, Randle, Moore, and Hill. Build around star, Jrue, and Davis but if you can’t get the star trade then get off your bad contracts somehow. Move hill and one of Moore/Niko/Randle together for an expiring. You’ll have Jrue and Davis so go get another star with your money you’ve saved. Kyrie or Leonard would be tough gets but if Kyrie wants to play with Davis this is the best way. Hopefully you’ll have a couple first rounders from trading Randle and Mirotic to build your bench.

Thread Information