Pelicans Report

Thread: Ideas to Improve Team for Playoff Push

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar

Ideas to Improve Team for Playoff Push

As the team has looked stronger and more coherent over these past 3 games thanks to improving health and the luxury of playing Cleveland twice, it's starting to look like we can make a serious push for the playoffs in the ridiculous West this year. I think it's more realistic and probably smarter for the team (and its fans) to look for a smaller move that can help fill our lack of depth on the wing while not sacrificing too many of our future assets.

I'm keeping up with the Lakers and Pistons game right now and while it sucks the Pistons can't give the Lakers a much wanted loss to help our standing out West, I am thinking Pistons might be sellers near the deadline. After a blazing hot 4-0 start, the Pistons are now about to be 17-22 and out of the playoffs out East. Given that the Pistons are nowhere near close to contenders and haven't been for a while, I don't imagine any player besides Griffin and Drummond is untouchable for them. With that in mind, I think it would make a lot of sense for this team to try to make a move at Reggie Bullock.

He is a 6'7 SG/SF that is an absolute deadeye from 3. Thanks to his long arms and super quick release, he's able to get off a high volume of quality 3PA coming in at over 6 attempts per game this year (a career high) while still being right around 40%. This also limits the amount of dribbling (something he is not bad at either) he has to do in order to be effective and keeps his TO% low. When I see him play, I'm reminded very much of a taller Anthony Morrow (6'5) who played great for the Thunder for a while and the Pelicans too. It's always a nice x factor to have some capable of just going off for 15-20 on super high efficiency on any given night. Obviously, he's not perfect and won't help much defensively and definitely wouldn't help with rebounding, but I think in spite of this he would definitely make our squad better. Despite our offense being one of the most efficient and fast paced in the league, we are near the bottom of the NBA in both 3 point percentage and attempts.

I think a trade of Darius Miller & a 2019 Pelicans 2nd round draft pick for Reggie Bullock would make sense for both teams and is the type of trade the Pelicans should go for. Reggie Bullock immediately can take all of Darius' minutes along with the random minutes given to Williams/Solo/Johnson and fit a great need of a 3pt shooter. Meanwhile, the Pistons get a player that they can use to while they pretend to try to win and collect a future asset along the way. Reggie Bullock is a UFA this summer anyways and players like him move usually move around a lot of teams since their shooting is always so coveted. At least this way the Pistons will have a more long term asset. Honestly, I'm such a Bullock fan I'd be willing to give up two 2nd rounders but it's always hard to gauge players' value as a fan since we're dealing with incomplete information - namely value perceive through the lens of all 30 NBA GMs.

I'd like to hear what you guys can come up with that could pick up a similar type of player! I think small moves like this that don't lose flexibility while improving current winning chances would be best if possible. Memphis just did something similar to get Justin Holiday and maybe we should too.

Bullock could be a nice offensive addition. However, what incentive does Detroit have to do that deal? Both Miller and Bullock are expiring deals and Bullock is their starter contributing 30+ minutes a game. Would a 2nd be enough incentive to trade a starter for a backup player?

One intriguing option I've been thinking about that we could pull off:

Washington gets: Randle, Moore, and 2019 Pels 2nd
    Cleveland gets: Hill and Wes 2019 Pels 1st
    NOP gets: Porter, Satoransky, Tristan Thompson

We get our wing, backup PG and a Randle replacement, and next season we are not that far into the tax to keep them all together, or could flip Thompson for other assets

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    One intriguing option I've been thinking about that we could pull off:

Washington gets: Randle, Moore, and 2019 Pels 2nd
    Cleveland gets: Hill and Wes 2019 Pels 1st
    NOP gets: Porter, Satoransky, Tristan Thompson

We get our wing, backup PG and a Randle replacement, and next season we are not that far into the tax to keep them all together, or could flip Thompson for other assets
    No thank you
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Can't see giving up all of those assets for those players to go into the tax.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Bullock could be a nice offensive addition. However, what incentive does Detroit have to do that deal? Both Miller and Bullock are expiring deals and Bullock is their starter contributing 30+ minutes a game. Would a 2nd be enough incentive to trade a starter for a backup player?
    Perhaps it's not enough, but maybe two 2nd rounders would be? I'm assuming that the Pistons continue to slide further away from the 8th seed as we get closer to the deadline. If this happens, then I don't think the fact Bullock is their current starter would/should influence their decision. They might be better off giving more minutes to Stanley Johnson and seeing if Darius can blossom as a starter while picking up draft picks than to miss the playoffs and lose Bullock for nothing in the off-season. If they feel they can still make the playoffs, then they probably aren't sellers and wouldn't make the move. It's hard to find many teams outside of Washington with talent that fits our team and a seller's mentality to be willing to part with it. It would help if Charlotte and Miami can create some distance between themselves and the teams looking on the outside so more teams can move toward tanking.

If we aren’t going for a star, we should stay put. When we are fully healthy, the depth looks pretty darn good with Jah and Frank emerging a bit.

We should try everything in our power to get someone like Beal as we won’t be able to keep both Niko and Randle realistically. Make sure the trade is reasonable if at all available.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If a superstar trade doesn't materialize, I'd be happy with Johnson/Clark and a couple of 2nd round picks for Terrence Ross.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    If you can’t keep both Randall and Mirotic then you have to trade one, period.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    If you can’t keep both Randall and Mirotic then you have to trade one, period.
    Only if you're getting real value that helps you this year in return. Otherwise you're better off keeping both, hoping to make the playoffs, and hoping magic happens and you win a series or two.

Im hoping we can turn solo+Clark and/or Johnson and a 1st into demare Carroll who expires and allows us to keep Niko and elfrid. I think we win this season and see what's what in the off-season.

What about going after Batum and getting our SF of the future in the process?

Charlotte receives: Solo, Moore, Wes Johnson

We get: Batum, Parker and Bridges, Charlotte 2nd rd pick

Bridges could eventually be our starting SF as early as next season or even by playoffs. We use Batum in an Iguodala role. And bet on resigning Niko and Randall, or one of them. I would choose to keep Randall in the summer just because he's so young and his shooting can improve, as well as defensive awareness. Even though Niko is the better fit now.
    Parker would be great for Frank. And really all of our guards.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    What about going after Batum and getting our SF of the future in the process?

Charlotte receives: Solo, Moore, Wes Johnson

We get: Batum, Parker and Bridges, Charlotte 2nd rd pick

Bridges could eventually be our starting SF as early as next season or even by playoffs. We use Batum in an Iguodala role. And bet on resigning Niko and Randall, or one of them. I would choose to keep Randall in the summer just because he's so young and his shooting can improve, as well as defensive awareness. Even though Niko is the better fit now.
    Parker would be great for Frank. And really all of our guards.
    You list all of the reasons why it would make sense for us without acknowledging the fact that it would be a horrible trade for Charlotte. They gain nothing from that, and to add insult to injury you make them throw in a 2nd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Floyd View Post
    You list all of the reasons why it would make sense for us without acknowledging the fact that it would be a horrible trade for Charlotte. They gain nothing from that, and to add insult to injury you make them throw in a 2nd round pick.
    Oh yeah lol. They get out of Batum contract which they are reportedly desperate to get out of by trade deadline. And they do it with only having to give up one 1st(Bridges). It's basically a salary dump for them and they get Moore. They would save over $40MM.

Bleacher report proposed a similar deal with San Antonio. With Charlotte taking back Gasol(who is 38, owed 32MM and only played 12 games this season), Belinelli and giving up multiple picks to get out of Batums deal.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Only if you're getting real value that helps you this year in return. Otherwise you're better off keeping both, hoping to make the playoffs, and hoping magic happens and you win a series or two.

yes..stay pat with what we have and out score teams and hope we play defense better and upset some teams in the playoffs...

trade the back end of the bench to get a PG and combo SG/SF...

Thread Information