Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trade for Parsons... to get Beal!

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I could get behind getting Porter.

Washington gets: Niko, Hill, Moore, Johnson, Afernee Simons, Wade Baldwin, NOP 1st, NOP 2021 1st, POR 2nd

We get: Beal, Porter, Green and Aminu

Portland get: Randle, Satoransky

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7r7au97

Jrue/Beal/Porter/Aminu/AD could be potent offensively and defensively.

Bench not too bad either with Payton/Frank/Miller/Green/Jah

Maybe flip Clark, Diallo and a 2nd for Justin Holiday if Memphis keep sinking.
    I’m not taking chandler unless he’s at the min. He’s a guy that when healthy is a good player but the problem is he’s NEVER healthy. Plus if you did manage to get Porter and AD leaves your rebuilding around Jrue, Beal, and Porter. At that point you could get only youth and picks and not worry about veterans as much.

I’d hope we could flip Randle to Brooklyn but we looking at a complete overhaul that would hurt getting to the playoffs.
    Last edited by tdcreator; 01-08-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    This isn't about getting Parsons for any on court impact. This is about extracting an asset to take on salary and using it to put a legit 3rd star next to AD and Jrue. You figure it out next year using MLE and minimums if you have 3 stars. Then you have Parson's huge expiring and your 2021 draft choice to make a move at the deadline or the following off season.

Maybe you can convince Randle to do the "wink wink" opt in with a huge pay day the following year when Parsons comes off the books. Once you get the star like Beal - without giving up your 2021 - I think you actually have more flexibility than you give the team credit for, considering you'd have your big 3 locked in.

If AD leaves, who cares that we have Parsons for $24m on the books next season?!
    I understand it isn't about getting him for any impact, but when you have $25M on the books its a big factor if the guy cannot contribute. Look at the Asik and Hill signings and the vitriol they bring when people discuss them. Yes it might get Beal, but then he doesn't go away. As I mentioned, it could take till the trade deadline next season to move him as an expiring and that is a long time to carry $25 mill salary and a guy who doesn't contribute. And in that time if one of Jrue, AD or Beal gets injured you are very much in a bad place because you are really lacking depth.

I'm not caring about Parsons if AD wants to leave at all, this is purely about how much flexibility we give ourselves to flesh out our depth if we take on $25M of potential dead space in addition to a $27M third star. Say off-season comes and you want to move Parsons, you're going to have to give up a first just to get rid of him. And that's about all you can offer, because you really have zero other trade assets at that point (that you don't want to keep). Jah, Diallo, and Williams aren't enticing to anyone. Your first rounder went out in the trade for the draft just gone so no "buddy hield" type player to draw interest. Otherwise its wait till trade deadline, or following off-season and have him come off the books like you said. That is now going into 20-21 season, AD's Player Option season if he doesn't sign before then.

I'm just trying to flesh this scenario out more, If I'm AD and you go and sign Beal I would be really happy with the move but then question our depth and plan to fill it out if we also have Parsons. So let's say off-season rolls around, what is the type of plan for signing/filling in the roster around the trio with the MLE and minimums? Would Elfrid be a key player you'd target to return? If Yes, what is your second focus say you can bring Payton back using half the MLE. I could see Darius coming back for nothing. A wink wink with randle seems rather unlikely, or certainly not something you could sell as a plan to someone. But lets say Randle buys in and takes his PO, Elfrid takes half MLE so $4.8, Darius takes $2.4M of MLE. Leaving $2.2M of the MLE, and minimums.

That has it as

Payton (4.8)
    Holiday (26.7)
    Beal (27)
    Randle (9)
    Davis (27)

Parsons (25.1)
    Miller (2.4)
    Okafor (1.7)
    Diallo (1.9)
    Williams (1.4)

Total: 127M with the lux being 132M. So 5 million to fill out the rest (williams could be cut if we wanted, Diallo is team option, same with okafor). So you'd be trying to sign a couple of Vet Minimums in there as they would help keep costs down, but that isn't a lot of room. You could sign more and go into the lux, with intent to move Parsons by seasons end to avoid the tax but it's a tough situation to put yourself in (certainly for a team that when you look at it, doesn't exactly scream contender).

Basketball Guru
    if asik and hill were bad contracts then why do we want parsons ?......who will take him off our hands?....i dont think demps would make another move like that for a third time...

Memphis will buy out Chandler.. His 48 million owed is not worth a 1st round pick...

If we want to try to get out of 1 first rounder, we could work a 4 team trade (I believe Cleveland will look to move Love before the deadline)

Atlanta gets: Kevin Love
    Cleveland gets: Mahinmi, Hill
    Washington gets: Bazemore, Randle, Wes 2019 Pels 1st
    Pels get: Beal, Dedmon

Everyone wins

Basketball Guru
    mark cuban has made barnes and smith jr. mad about what he said about american players...they had a convo about it and barnes still want to talk about it....

so i would give cuban what he want and give up niko + hill for barnes.......that would give us jrue,,barnes and AD for this season and next ...

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Memphis will buy out Chandler.. His 48 million owed is not worth a 1st round pick...

If we want to try to get out of 1 first rounder, we could work a 4 team trade (I believe Cleveland will look to move Love before the deadline)

Atlanta gets: Kevin Love
    Cleveland gets: Mahinmi, Hill
    Washington gets: Bazemore, Randle, Wes 2019 Pels 1st
    Pels get: Beal, Dedmon

Everyone wins

i dont why alot of yall want to give up randall when yall know AD recruited him to come here.....im not giving up that beast randall because we need his inside scoring to get in the playoffs....

we are the second or third scoring team in the league so we can put up points...we have to play better defense.......if we had been playing better defense in these past games,,we would have a winning record...

Everyone keeps talking about Memphis pick, but there is a risk that Celtics could have the pick in 2019 and not Memphis.

Memphis Grizzlies first-round pick: The Celtics receive this pick if it falls between Nos. 9 and 30. If it does not convey in 2019, the pick then becomes top-6 protected in 2020. If the selection doesn’t convey by 2020, it becomes an unprotected 2021 first-rounder going to Boston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    I understand it isn't about getting him for any impact, but when you have $25M on the books its a big factor if the guy cannot contribute. Look at the Asik and Hill signings and the vitriol they bring when people discuss them. Yes it might get Beal, but then he doesn't go away. As I mentioned, it could take till the trade deadline next season to move him as an expiring and that is a long time to carry $25 mill salary and a guy who doesn't contribute. And in that time if one of Jrue, AD or Beal gets injured you are very much in a bad place because you are really lacking depth.

I'm not caring about Parsons if AD wants to leave at all, this is purely about how much flexibility we give ourselves to flesh out our depth if we take on $25M of potential dead space in addition to a $27M third star. Say off-season comes and you want to move Parsons, you're going to have to give up a first just to get rid of him. And that's about all you can offer, because you really have zero other trade assets at that point (that you don't want to keep). Jah, Diallo, and Williams aren't enticing to anyone. Your first rounder went out in the trade for the draft just gone so no "buddy hield" type player to draw interest. Otherwise its wait till trade deadline, or following off-season and have him come off the books like you said. That is now going into 20-21 season, AD's Player Option season if he doesn't sign before then.

I'm just trying to flesh this scenario out more, If I'm AD and you go and sign Beal I would be really happy with the move but then question our depth and plan to fill it out if we also have Parsons. So let's say off-season rolls around, what is the type of plan for signing/filling in the roster around the trio with the MLE and minimums? Would Elfrid be a key player you'd target to return? If Yes, what is your second focus say you can bring Payton back using half the MLE. I could see Darius coming back for nothing. A wink wink with randle seems rather unlikely, or certainly not something you could sell as a plan to someone. But lets say Randle buys in and takes his PO, Elfrid takes half MLE so $4.8, Darius takes $2.4M of MLE. Leaving $2.2M of the MLE, and minimums.

That has it as

Payton (4.8)
    Holiday (26.7)
    Beal (27)
    Randle (9)
    Davis (27)

Parsons (25.1)
    Miller (2.4)
    Okafor (1.7)
    Diallo (1.9)
    Williams (1.4)

Total: 127M with the lux being 132M. So 5 million to fill out the rest (williams could be cut if we wanted, Diallo is team option, same with okafor). So you'd be trying to sign a couple of Vet Minimums in there as they would help keep costs down, but that isn't a lot of room. You could sign more and go into the lux, with intent to move Parsons by seasons end to avoid the tax but it's a tough situation to put yourself in (certainly for a team that when you look at it, doesn't exactly scream contender).
    It's easier to solver for depth than it is to get a guy like Beal. My assumption would be that if we get Beal either AD signs his extension this summer or we're trading AD this summer. I don't buy the scenario where we hang on to AD going into the 19-20 season without him signing his extension. So again, if AD is gone with Beal and Jrue you have at least the makings of similarly situated team as Portland built on an elite backcourt and whatever wings and assets you get from trading AD. If AD signs the extension, what else matters? We have more time, we trade Parsons at the deadline, and we likely go into the playoffs with really solid big 3.

Really trying to look into the crystal ball, but a $24m expiring at next year's deadline could maybe land you a Wiggins, a Kevin Love, a Zach Lavine, Otto Porter, or Evan Fournier. All of those players have contracts that are longer than Parsons and play for teams that I can easily imagine wanting to get out of those deals if they're not in playoff contention.

I cannot imagine any team willing to take on Parson's albatross of a contract. It would likely take multiple 1sts for Memphis to unload that deal and they would not do that.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i dont why alot of yall want to give up randall when yall know AD recruited him to come here.....im not giving up that beast randall because we need his inside scoring to get in the playoffs....

we are the second or third scoring team in the league so we can put up points...we have to play better defense.......if we had been playing better defense in these past games,,we would have a winning record...
    Simply put, we dont have his bird rights, and Niko fits better than Randle..

As for the OP trade, looking more into it this would be an illegal trade.

1) It would put us into the tax, we cannot go into the tax because we are hard capped due to using the BAE on Payton.

2) Memphis doesnt currently have its 2019,2020, or 2021 1st to send out as they have protections on their pick going to Boston, so earliest any 1st from Memphis could be involved in a trade is a 2023

1) It would put us into the tax, we cannot go into the tax because we are hard capped due to using the BAE on Payton.

2) Memphis doesnt currently have its 2019,2020, or 2021 1st to send out as they have protections on their pick going to Boston, so earliest any 1st from Memphis could be involved in a trade is a 2023
    Pretty sure regarding point 1 we cannot go past the Tax Apron (becomes a hard cap). So this apron/hard cap is $129,817,000 for 2018/19. Looking at the trades, our salaries and the expected likely bonuses we would only be hitting $121M (roughly).

1 thing is for sure, at least one trade is coming. And Jackson going is pretty likely IMO

So don't get too attached to anyone not named Jrue or AD

Bye Solo

Also regarding number 2, I believe technically (not saying they would) that Memphis could trade it's 2019 or 2020 pick but only for the protected ranges. So it could trade 2019 1-8, 2020 1-6. 2021 is out as that is unprotected if not conveyed in the previous years to boston.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Also regarding number 2, I believe technically (not saying they would) that Memphis could trade it's 2019 or 2020 pick but only for the protected ranges. So it could trade 2019 1-8, 2020 1-6. 2021 is out as that is unprotected if not conveyed in the previous years to boston.
    I think they would still have to do it in a way that it wouldn't convey in back to back years. I think it's complicated, but doable if they wanted to attach a 1st round pick to move Parsons.

They cant trade their 1st in consecutive years, so they would have to wait to see if it will convey or not before they could do any kind of deal, which wouldn't be until the lottery is finished

Here's a better version. Get Memphis out of there and bring in Charlotte:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yajovlow

Wiz get our first, Charlotte's first and a future 2nd from Charlotte. Washington tanks, gets below the tax (saving over 20 mil total) and has 3 picks in the 2019 draft plus whatever they can get in a separate Ariza trade. Charlotte gets better this year for a playoff run plus opens up future money to pay Kemba.

Pels keep Niko and Frank and future draft picks. Depth is hurt as you are very top heavy with the first six but now its time for Frank and Jah to show they can be consistent rotation players. Kenrich gets a shot too and you have tons of roster spots to give guys a chance on 10 days or rest of season contracts
    @mcnamara247

Link not loading for some. Trade was:

Wash: Moore, Wes, D. Bacon, Diallo, Pels 2019 1st, Char 2019 1st, future Charlotte 2nd

Char: Randle, Miller, Solo, Clark, fake Wash 2nd (to touch)

Pels: Batum, Beal, J Green

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Wash: Moore, Wes, D. Bacon, Diallo, Pels 2019 1st, Char 2019 1st, future Charlotte 2nd

Holy crap that's a nice team:

Holiday/Payton
    Beal/Jackson/Clark
    Batum/Green/Williams
    Mirotic/
    Davis/Okafor

Just need to add a back up 4 using a 10 day or buy out market and that team is top 4 in the West.
    Multiple ball handlers.
    Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post

Holiday/Payton
    Beal/Jackson/Clark
    Batum/Green/Williams
    Mirotic/
    Davis/Okafor

Just need to add a back up 4 using a 10 day or buy out market and that team is top 4 in the West.
    Multiple ball handlers.
    Love it.
    It's also a very expensive team and is a tax team next year for sure. Let's say you can bring Niko back for 15 mil and Payton gets most of your MLE -- that's 125 mil for your top 6 guys. Luckily Frank and Jahlil are cheap. But you don't have much to fill out your bench and you are gonna be a tax team for a few years.

If Gayle is willing to pay that, cool. But if not, you gotta let Niko walk and fill his spot with a 3 mil per year guy

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    I'm under the impression that we are willing to go into the tax as long as the roster is worthy. Am I wrong to think that?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Nice! Have you shown that to Dell Demps?

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    I'm under the impression that we are willing to go into the tax as long as the roster is worthy. Am I wrong to think that?
    Gayle has said this already.
    Saying and doing is two different things though.

You have to keep Jackson at all costs. Unless he is part of a trade that lands us a long term franchise piece, you keep him. His future is bright, and will be a big piece moving forward as his gets seasoned.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Hope Frank gets lots of burn tonight

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post

Holiday/Payton
    Beal/Jackson/Clark
    Batum/Green/Williams
    Mirotic/
    Davis/Okafor

Multiple ball handlers.
    Love it.

so we are back to having jrue as starting PG which is bad....AD starting 5 with okafor as backup who gets in foul trouble which will have AD wore out lol....plus AD is getting hurt alot so now we dont have any depth and loose rebounding....

can anyone tell me how is this team better than the one we have now thats in the top 3 in scoring offense?....i rather keep the team we have now over that team with no depth,,no rebounding and players who gentry wont trust to play which goes back to no depth and jrue running the show.....

Thread Information