Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: December 19th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Milwaukee Bucks - 15-16

Pelicans December 19th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Milwaukee Bucks - 15-16

Over our last 11 games we are L-W-L-W-L-W-L-W-L-W-L. So I guess we're due a win, if the pattern is going to prevail. When it breaks, I'd much rather it be in favour of consecutive wins, rather than losses.

Tonight we play the 20-9 Milwaukee Bucks. They are 2nd in the East, and have won 4 of their last 5. We won't have Niko, or Randle, and Clark is questionable. So we're at a significant disadvantage in injuries, even beyond having Payton out still. Bucks are only missing Brogdon and Ilyasova. They're great, and healthy. Let's get a closer look at them:

Offensive rating: 3rd
    Defensive rating: 4th
    Rebounds per game: 5th
    Assists per game: 7th
    Steals per game: 24th
    Blocks per game: 9th
    2pt percentage: 1st
    3pt percentage: 14th

That is intimidating. I guess the only real consolation is that they aren't likely to force a ton of turnovers, and they aren't snipers. The bad news is that they're elite on both ends of the floor, and they have a healthy roster that plays hard, and a good coach.

Their number one guy is Giannis. Currently averaging 27/13/6, Giannis is basically putting up AD's statline (28/12.5/5), although with twice the turnovers, twice the fouls, half the blocks, and shooting an absolutely pathetic 12.5% from three despite taking just as many per game as AD does. He's playing well on defense as well, although an engaged AD (which we will have to see tonight if we want even the faintest glimmer of a chance) is still far superior. The fact is that AD is a better player than Giannis: the difference is that Giannis seems totally engaged every night, whereas AD is prone to inconsistent motivation. Guarding Giannis isn't straightforward, although it's clear that the best thing to do would be to encourage him to shoot from distance, as well as prey on his tendency to throw the ball away like it's his job.

After that, it's Khris Middleton. He's currently averaging around 18/5/4, shooting 41% from the floor and 40% from three. Again, he's playing well on defense, and essentially fills that Jrue role as secondary scorer and versatile defender, although he's not as good as Jrue. As with Giannis, it's hard to say exactly how to defend him well because he doesn't really have glaring holes in his game, so it's a case of just playing him well and really matching up man to man.

We are really up against it tonight. I don't think anyone expects us to win. They're a fantastic team, almost completely healthy, with a great coach, on a hot streak. We are a team with so much ability but we've failed to execute, and even if we were clicking well, half our roster is out on injury. Our bench is starting, in many ways. AD and Jrue are going to have to rack up 40+ minutes each to even get us in the ballpark, and that's assuming that we're in the game long enough for it to be worth playing them.

That said, crazier things have happened! Let's hope for the best, and #DoItBig.
    Basketball.

We'll probably dominate because I won't be able to watch. Soccer game.

Basketball Guru
    this dude should play alot of mins tonight so i just want to see okafor step up and play good tonight and show he can provide some depth at the position....

What is our road record anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by AstroFire View Post
    What is our road record anyway?
    4 wins, 11 losses. We suck on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    this dude should play alot of mins tonight so i just want to see okafor step up and play good tonight and show he can provide some depth at the position....
    That's my hope too. No Randle, no Mirotic. Even playing Diallo, we will be forced into using Okafor. Hopefully he can take this opportunity and really take it by the horns.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's my hope too. No Randle, no Mirotic. Even playing Diallo, we will be forced into using Okafor. Hopefully he can take this opportunity and really take it by the horns.

so tonight the starters are,,,tim,,jrue,,hill,,diallo,,AD?.......moore,,mi ller,,,jackson will have to play big off the bench tonight..i think we get 35-40 out of those 3 tonight.....i just dont want to see AD frustrated at the 5 tonight...

I think we win. Doesn’t make the Pelican Pendulum any less depressing though. I’m really most curious as to what horrible desperate move Dell will make before the trade deadline. If he strikes gold, I’ll be content. Chances are we will make a poor move out of desperation to keep AD. I’m worried

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I think we win. Doesn’t make the Pelican Pendulum any less depressing though. I’m really most curious as to what horrible desperate move Dell will make before the trade deadline. If he strikes gold, I’ll be content. Chances are we will make a poor move out of desperation to keep AD. I’m worried
    Somehow, I feel like we might as well. We're a weird team: we can beat anybody, but we can also lose to anybody. We were the first team to beat Toronto at home, and we also beat OKC only a short while ago. At the same time, we lost to Miami and the Knicks, who we should have easily beaten.

So I don't even know anymore.

Yeah. I'm kinda like that with everything Pelicans and AD, right now. On one hand, like you said in the trade thread, get Payton back and I really think the woes are over. A facilitator means so much to this offense. And that should be about two weeks, eh? On the other hand, just what I see from AD is a bit depressing. Not even the trade stuff. More the lack of Alpha-ness. He really should be willing this team to win. He made all that talk about it. But while his skillset is alpha. I'm starting to think he'll always be best behind a stronger more forceful personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Somehow, I feel like we might as well. We're a weird team: we can beat anybody, but we can also lose to anybody. We were the first team to beat Toronto at home, and we also beat OKC only a short while ago. At the same time, we lost to Miami and the Knicks, who we should have easily beaten.

So I don't even know anymore.
    I think it’s partially a motivation thing. We don’t win unless we have to. Gentry is not the man to light a fire under their asses.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Yeah. I'm kinda like that with everything Pelicans and AD, right now. On one hand, like you said in the trade thread, get Payton back and I really think the woes are over. A facilitator means so much to this offense. And that should be about two weeks, eh? On the other hand, just what I see from AD is a bit depressing. Not even the trade stuff. More the lack of Alpha-ness. He really should be willing this team to win. He made all that talk about it. But while his skillset is alpha. I'm starting to think he'll always be best behind a stronger more forceful personality.
    well said

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    That's why I believe missing out on Butler was the worst thing that's happened this year. I know giving him a max would be risky due to his mileage, but even if his skills would diminish towards the end of the deal he's still that dominant personality we need to push AD to be his best.

We are starting

PG- Tim Frazier
    SG - Jrue Holiday
    SF - Darius Miller
    PF - Solomon Hill
    C - Anthony Davis.

Injuries suck.

I want AD taking 30 shots tonight.

Miller was wide open, passed up on the shot.

We need you to shoot tonight please!

AD already with 4 points, he's scored on Giannis twice including in the open court.

Mill3r! 7-0 run to start the game!

Giannis with the nice score on Hill there, no need for that reach though. Don't wanna see Hill in foul trouble.

Solo with the 3, lots of good passing and ball movement here.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    What is up with all of these stupid ****** passes?

If it weren't for the FIVE early turnovers, the Bucks would have nothing. They've only really scored on the fastbreak. 4 of their points have come directly off turnovers.

Miller with another 3 from deep! That's what I want from him, he needs to take those shots, he can shoot!

Not liking Jrue taking early contested threes with no passes.

AD has 10/4/2/1/1 already.

Thread Information