Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rockets to Cut Melo

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    None of that addresses the fact that you're suggesting an NBA coach is purposely trying to tank a player who's best friend just signed one of the largest contracts in NBA history with his team.

If Melo is being made out to be a scapegoat why hasn't CP3 stepped up and called the team out for it? Why are Harden and CP3 OK with this happening if D'antoni is actually the one at fault and not Melo?

None of your logic makes sense. Why did OKC get rid of Melo then? Why did they take back bad assets just to move him? How is D'antoni the one at fault when multiple teams have all now written Melo off?
    Dude, Melo literally got Dantoni fired from his last job. That's not going to sit well with anyone. The animosity still has to be there. You dont know what was said in their conversation, you dont know how Melo and Dantoni interactions have been around each other this year.

If someone got you fired from your job. And they came to your new company, as an employee in a department that you are managing. Could you honestly say all is forgiving because they are friends with your star employee? I know you have seen in your professional career, an employee go to HR about a manager and things are downhill from there. I've seen it multiple times.

OKC situation is irrelevant in this occurrence. Melo should've never signed with Houston. You never trust your enemy.

And that bestfriend talk is overblown. Yeah they cool but it ain't like they hanging out, going on trips, spending holidays every year. We need a best friend tracker on CP, he's best friends with the entire league apparently.

Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Dude, Melo literally got Dantoni fired from his last job. That's not going to sit well with anyone. The animosity still has to be there. You dont know what was said in their conversation, you dont know how Melo and Dantoni interactions have been around each other this year.

If someone got you fired from your job. And they came to your new company, as an employee in a department that you are managing. Could you honestly say all is forgiving because they are friends with your star employee? I know you have seen in your professional career, an employee go to HR about a manager and things are downhill from there. I've seen it multiple times.

OKC situation is irrelevant in this occurrence. Melo should've never signed with Houston. You never trust your enemy.

And that bestfriend talk is overblown. Yeah they cool but it ain't like they hanging out, going on trips, spending holidays every year. We need a best friend tracker on CP, he's best friends with the entire league apparently.
    You know they are the God father of eachother’s kids? And they are always posting stuff together such as being on a Yacht and the famous picture we all seen the banana boat crew.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Lol

You know they are the God father of eachother’s kids? And they are always posting stuff together such as being on a Yacht and the famous picture we all seen the banana boat crew.
    Shhh let these weird Melo fantasies play out its fun

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He actually was very vague. He said he talked to a few people around the team. I hope they are not interested, but would not rely on Guillory based on his vague tweet.
    Reread the tweet. There's absolutely nothing vague about it.

https://twitter.com/WillGuillory/sta...304413186?s=19

He literally says: "I can report the Pelicans won't have any interest in Carmelo Anthony if/when he becomes available."

He simply doesn't want to out his sources but he is anything other than vague. You can't get a much more definitive statement than what he said.

First, OKC is anything but irrelevant, the point stands that MULTIPLE teams have written Melo off, it only took the Rockets 11 days to do it. You cannot try and say D'antoni is the issue not Melo when it is completely different teams with no involvement from D'antoni and they have all come to the same conclusion. Melo isn't good.

We've seen with our very own Saints that coaches No. 1 priority is to win and if a player can help it almost always is irrelevant what the past is. Heck we tried to sign Jimmy Graham this summer. Why would D'antoni bring in a guy who he doesn't actually think will work with his system and risk the type of impact that will have on the attitude and locker room of all the other players simply to try and get some personal vendetta settled? It's nonsense. No coach would risk not with the way social media is nowadays.

Also how is D'antoni even going about messing up Melo? Is D'antoni tricking him into not playing defense and being a bad shooter? Why exactly is D'antoni doing and how is it he is such a mastermind that no one on or around the team (including people in Melo's own camp) noticed that D'antoni was some even genius all summer and only until Melo is about to be cut is it suddenly "D'antoni was out to get him the entire time?"

Where was this argument all summer? Why did people believe it was going to work and now suddenly when it doesn't it's someone other than Melo who is at fault?

Second, Squash that nose about Melo and CP3 not being very good friends. As has been pointed out their godparents to each others children and absolutely take vacations together. You telling me you're not going to say anything if your best friend was getting blamed falsely for something? Are you calling CP3 a coward?

See here's the difference in our two stances. Your viewpoint requires multiple people and teams to be out to get Melo. It requires that one of his best friends not speak up in his defense. It requires coaches that are willing to jeopardize locker rooms and seeding / playoffs simply for revenge. It require multiple playoff teams to all be wrong on their assessment of Melo not being good anymore.

My viewpoint requires Melo simply being exactly the way stats and the eye test look: not good.

This is getting ridiculous. HoustonPelicans won't accept that Melo is getting cut because he sucks until every person that works with the Rockets sits in a press conference and announces, verbatim, that Melo is being cut because he is not a good player.

Then, so as not to be mistaken for D'antoni just having a grudge, he needs OKC and the Hawks to contribute towards a signed affidavit confirming that they also got rid of him due to low quality play, and Melo himself to make a confession confirming that he is a bad player now.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This is getting ridiculous. HoustonPelicans won't accept that Melo is getting cut because he sucks until every person that works with the Rockets sits in a press conference and announces, verbatim, that Melo is being cut because he is not a good player.

Then, so as not to be mistaken for D'antoni just having a grudge, he needs OKC and the Hawks to contribute towards a signed affidavit confirming that they also got rid of him due to low quality play, and Melo himself to make a confession confirming that he is a bad player now.
    Melo is better than a lot of players still on the Rockets. Its obvious that it's more than his play of why he is being cut. Also ATL and OKC were paying him $22M more than the Rockets. Apples and Oranges

Lol

They are not Godparents of each other children and that banana boat picture was like decade ago.

First, OKC is anything but irrelevant, the point stands that MULTIPLE teams have written Melo off, it only took the Rockets 11 days to do it. You cannot try and say D'antoni is the issue not Melo when it is completely different teams with no involvement from D'antoni and they have all come to the same conclusion. Melo isn't good.

We've seen with our very own Saints that coaches No. 1 priority is to win and if a player can help it almost always is irrelevant what the past is. Heck we tried to sign Jimmy Graham this summer. Why would D'antoni bring in a guy who he doesn't actually think will work with his system and risk the type of impact that will have on the attitude and locker room of all the other players simply to try and get some personal vendetta settled? It's nonsense. No coach would risk not with the way social media is nowadays.

Also how is D'antoni even going about messing up Melo? Is D'antoni tricking him into not playing defense and being a bad shooter? Why exactly is D'antoni doing and how is it he is such a mastermind that no one on or around the team (including people in Melo's own camp) noticed that D'antoni was some even genius all summer and only until Melo is about to be cut is it suddenly "D'antoni was out to get him the entire time?"

Where was this argument all summer? Why did people believe it was going to work and now suddenly when it doesn't it's someone other than Melo who is at fault?

Second, Squash that nose about Melo and CP3 not being very good friends. As has been pointed out their godparents to each others children and absolutely take vacations together. You telling me you're not going to say anything if your best friend was getting blamed falsely for something? Are you calling CP3 a coward?

See here's the difference in our two stances. Your viewpoint requires multiple people and teams to be out to get Melo. It requires that one of his best friends not speak up in his defense. It requires coaches that are willing to jeopardize locker rooms and seeding / playoffs simply for revenge. It require multiple playoff teams to all be wrong on their assessment of Melo not being good anymore.

My viewpoint requires Melo simply being exactly the way stats and the eye test look: not good.
    I believe what I believe. You can have your own beliefs. I believe Dantoni held a grudge and a player who has played for him, confirmed that of his personality. You keep adding other teams to an isolated situation. Those other teams were paying Melo $24M, OKC had a $300M luxury tax looming. That's a totally different situation to paying a guy a vet minimum. Melo would still be a Thunder at that price.

They are not Godparents of each other children, that's a misinformed lie. And yes CP been a coward, ask his teammates.

If Melo isn't good than there are about a hundred players who are not either. Simple. Ryan Anderson is garbage if thats the case, his defense is abysmal. Eric Gordon should be relegated to the G league immediately.

I believe what I believe. You can have your own beliefs. I believe Dantoni held a grudge and a player who has played for him, confirmed that of his personality. You keep adding other teams to an isolated situation. Those other teams were paying Melo $24M, OKC had a $300M luxury tax looming. That's a totally different situation to paying a guy a vet minimum. Melo would still be a Thunder at that price.

They are not Godparents of each other children, that's a misinformed lie. And yes CP been a coward, ask his teammates.

If Melo isn't good than there are about a hundred players who are not either. Simple. Ryan Anderson is garbage if thats the case, his defense is abysmal. Eric Gordon should be relegated to the G league immediately.
    Serious question here:

Do you know the difference between a bad patch, and a multi-year downward trend?

Basketball Guru
    ryno is garbage....gordon can play....it should tell you something that gordon is starting over melo......it should tell you something that those 2 are on teams and the teams are not trying to get rid of them.....the same team that has gordon dont want melo anymore..

Serious question here:

Do you know the difference between a bad patch, and a multi-year downward trend?
    Yes. Do you understand that I am not calling Melo an allstar player but simply stating that he is better than alot of players in the league?

I don't know how this is so complicated for you. I'll lay the questions out very clearly to you: HOW did D'antoni sabotage Melo and be able to trick everyone including people in Melo's inner circle into believing he was serious this summer?

Why did everyone buy into it this summer but a month into the season suddenly D'antoni was some evil genius and always wanted to ruin Melo?

How did D'antoni cause Melo to be bad on multiple other teams he had no control over?

Why are players on the Rockets, including some who are at the very least close friends with Melo, not speaking out about Melo being a scapegoat and trying to make it work? Why has everyone on the team given up on Melo if they thought he could help them and D'antoni is the one at fault?

And finally:

What advantage does it make for D'antoni to cut Melo now? If he really had a grudge he'd cut him after he couldn't join another team later in the year.

Yes. Do you understand that I am not calling Melo an allstar player but simply stating that he is better than alot of players in the league?
    Do you understand that given his below league average PER, his negative VORP, his negative BPM, his negative net rating, and his below league average TS%, he is actually not better than the majority of NBA players anymore and that even if he is better than a lot of other players, that's not because he's any good, it's because they just suck even worse?

I don't know how this is so complicated for you. I'll lay the questions out very clearly to you: HOW did D'antoni sabotage Melo and be able to trick everyone including people in Melo's inner circle into believing he was serious this summer?

Why did everyone buy into it this summer but a month into the season suddenly D'antoni was some evil genius and always wanted to ruin Melo?

How did D'antoni cause Melo to be bad on multiple other teams he had no control over?

Why are players on the Rockets, including some who are at the very least close friends with Melo, not speaking out about Melo being a scapegoat and trying to make it work? Why has everyone on the team given up on Melo if they thought he could help them and D'antoni is the one at fault?

And finally:

What advantage does it make for D'antoni to cut Melo now? If he really had a grudge he'd cut him after he couldn't join another team later in the year.
    Melo wasnt bad on multiple other teams is what you keep failing to realize. He wasnt worth $24M simple. Anybody in the league would've taken his production at the vet minimum. He even accepted a bench role.

Dantoni never recruited Melo. CP and the media did. The advantage that Dantoni has in cutting Melo is that he never wanted him there in the first place and now Melo looks bad to the rest of the league. It's weird that their defensive coordinator out of the blue retired before training camp and is now coming back.

Its literally 11 games in, CP cares about the playoffs more than he will ever carry about anybody outside of his family. He's not going to call out Dantoni in defense of Melo, resulting in more conflict than now. Stop acting like CP is some standup guy all of a sudden, he been weak. And those other guys on the Rockets barely in the league. They not gon speak up publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    ryno is garbage....gordon can play....it should tell you something that gordon is starting over melo......it should tell you something that those 2 are on teams and the teams are not trying to get rid of them.....the same team that has gordon dont want melo anymore..
    Yet Gordon is playing twice as worse as Melo, go figure. Yeah you're right it should tell you something. The coach is a grudge holding fraud.

Melo wasnt bad on multiple other teams is what you keep failing to realize. He wasnt worth $24M simple. Anybody in the league would've taken his production at the vet minimum. He even accepted a bench role.

Dantoni never recruited Melo. CP and the media did. The advantage that Dantoni has in cutting Melo is that he never wanted him there in the first place and now Melo looks bad to the rest of the league. It's weird that their defensive coordinator out of the blue retired before training camp and is now coming back.

Its literally 11 games in, CP cares about the playoffs more than he will ever carry about anybody outside of his family. He's not going to call out Dantoni in defense of Melo, resulting in more conflict than now. Stop acting like CP is some standup guy all of a sudden, he been weak. And those other guys on the Rockets barely in the league. They not gon speak up publicly.

Yet Gordon is playing twice as worse as Melo, go figure. Yeah you're right it should tell you something. The coach is a grudge holding fraud.
    I guess that answers the question: no, you don't understand the difference between a bad streak and a multi-year downward trend.

Gordon is currently averaging 15/3/2 on 32% from the field and 23% from 3. Is that bad? Of course it is. That sucks. That is extremely bad.
    Melo is currently averaging 13/5/0.5 on 40% from the field and 32% from three. Is that bad? Yeah, it is, it also sucks. It sucks less, that is, he's not as bad as Gordon right now but you're the one who was insisting earlier it had only been 10 games and so we couldn't judge Melo off it.

So let's compare their last full seasons.

Eric Gordon averaged 18/2/2, on 43/36/80 splits. His net rating was +0. He had a 0.5 VORP, a 15.2 PER, and 4.7 win shares. He did this on a 24% usage rating, 58% true Shooting.
    Melo averaged 16/5/1 on 40/35/76 splits. His net rating was -5. He had a -1.1 VORP, a 12.7 PER, and 3.7 win shares. He also did this on a 24% usage rating, 50.3% true shooting.

So Melo was worse. Slightly more points and rebounds, but less accurate from the field all over, less value, less efficient, contributed less to wins, worse net rating.

The reason Gordon gets some benefit of the doubt is that his current play is unusual for him. The Rockets give him some lee-way because they saw him playing just a few months ago, and he looked nothing like this. They are willing to give him time because they have good reason to suspect this is a slump.

The reason Melo does not get this benefit of the doubt is that his current play is what is expected of him given his rate of decline over the last 5 years. We know he's got worse year on year, why would we be surprised if he got a little worse this season too? We saw him playing badly on OKC earlier this year, why would we assume he would be any different now? They aren't willing to give Melo time because Melo was already playing on borrowed time, and he's wasting it.

That's the difference.

This is great

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

If you’re not going to listen to the facts that I’m telling you then the whole discussion is pointless.They just did a documentary on a one handed basketball player... The reason I know 1st Cp3 is my favorite player so I would know a lil bit more since I follow him on social media etc... 2nd it was reported on first take that they are indeed the Godparents of eachothers kids And one if not the biggest reason why he went there to Houston .
    They are not Godparents of each other children and that banana boat picture was like decade ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nba.nbc...lose-with/amp/

I’m going to try and find the video for you also to prove you wrong again...

I guess that answers the question: no, you don't understand the difference between a bad streak and a multi-year downward trend.

Gordon is currently averaging 15/3/2 on 32% from the field and 23% from 3. Is that bad? Of course it is. That sucks. That is extremely bad.
    Melo is currently averaging 13/5/0.5 on 40% from the field and 32% from three. Is that bad? Yeah, it is, it also sucks. It sucks less, that is, he's not as bad as Gordon right now but you're the one who was insisting earlier it had only been 10 games and so we couldn't judge Melo off it.

So let's compare their last full seasons.

Eric Gordon averaged 18/2/2, on 43/36/80 splits. His net rating was +0. He had a 0.5 VORP, a 15.2 PER, and 4.7 win shares. He did this on a 24% usage rating, 58% true Shooting.
    Melo averaged 16/5/1 on 40/35/76 splits. His net rating was -5. He had a -1.1 VORP, a 12.7 PER, and 3.7 win shares. He also did this on a 24% usage rating, 50.3% true shooting.

So Melo was worse. Slightly more points and rebounds, but less accurate from the field all over, less value, less efficient, contributed less to wins, worse net rating.

The reason Gordon gets some benefit of the doubt is that his current play is unusual for him. The Rockets give him some lee-way because they saw him playing just a few months ago, and he looked nothing like this. They are willing to give him time because they have good reason to suspect this is a slump.

The reason Melo does not get this benefit of the doubt is that his current play is what is expected of him given his rate of decline over the last 5 years. We know he's got worse year on year, why would we be surprised if he got a little worse this season too? We saw him playing badly on OKC earlier this year, why would we assume he would be any different now? They aren't willing to give Melo time because Melo was already playing on borrowed time, and he's wasting it.

That's the difference.
    It'd be nice if yall stop trying to combine arguments to make your point seem right. I've already agreed that Melo has declined. But he's declined from an allstar status. He is still a good player. Stop acting like he wouldnt be a top 7 player on this team. You can give a thousand explanations and he is still better than half of our team, period.

If you’re not going to listen to the facts that I’m telling you then the whole discussion is pointless.They just did a documentary on a one handed basketball player... The reason I know 1st Cp3 is my favorite player so I would know a lil bit more since I follow him on social media etc... 2nd it was reported on first take that they are indeed the Godparents of eachothers kids And one if not the biggest reason why he went there to Houston .
    He's not a Godparent of his kid. That's not a fact. Posting a link saying they are good friends mean nothing, CP is good friends with half the league let him tell it. I dont even know what point you're making saying they are friends

It'd be nice if yall stop trying to combine arguments to make your point seem right. I've already agreed that Melo has declined. But he's declined from an allstar status. He is still a good player. Stop acting like he wouldnt be a top 7 player on this team. You can give a thousand explanations and he is still better than half of our team, period.
    How many players is he better than on OKC, atl, and Hou yet he couldn't work at any of those places...

See no matter how good or bad Melo is in a vacuum, he's terrible in the modern NBA. Iso ball and all midrange is dead, volume shooting from a bench player is not needed.

And unlike players like Carter who were willing to change their game Melo has had attitude problems everywhere he's went and had a refusal to change.

Thread Information