Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rockets to Cut Melo

Rockets to Cut Melo

If Melo makes it through waivers, should we bring him in? I'd take a declining Melo at SF over anyone we currently have on the roster. Not like it could get any worse.

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's worth a shot

For God's sake, no
    Basketball.

Dear God how many teams does he have to be a malcontent on before people realize he's not worth it??

Yeah, we totally should, we havent lost enough games this year

No Rockets fan feel the same way as what's been portrayed by the media. As least amongst the ones I've talked to, who are avid Rockets followers. This mal content talk is bogus

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Dear God how many teams does he have to be a malcontent on before people realize he's not worth it??
    Sucks in NY for years, goes to OKC and sucks there, goes to Houston and sucks there, and people are still fawning after him as if it's 2008 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    No Rockets fan feel the same way as what's been portrayed by the media. As least amongst the ones I've talked to, who are avid Rockets followers. This mal content talk is bogus
    Let's live in this fantasy world that Melo doesn't have an issue with his attitude.

Gentry is literally a D'antoni apprentice. Their systems are probably the two closest offensive schemes in the entire league. We've just witnessed that Melo is a TERRIBLE fit for this system, so much so that they are thinking of cutting him a less than a month into the season. . .

Why on earth would anyone want him on our team where he is just as bad of a fit as on the Rockets? They have even less SF depth than we do and they are possibly cutting bait on him. As far as I'm concerned even on a vet minimum Melo is one of the worst players in the league we could add to this team.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Been on the "Melo is trash" bandwagon since his last year in Denver. Glad to see my fellow Pels fans are agreeing.

Basketball Guru
    houston want to run and gun....we run and gun....why?...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    No.

Let's live in this fantasy world that Melo doesn't have an issue with his attitude.

Gentry is literally a D'antoni apprentice. Their systems are probably the two closest offensive schemes in the entire league. We've just witnessed that Melo is a TERRIBLE fit for this system, so much so that they are thinking of cutting him a less than a month into the season. . .

Why on earth would anyone want him on our team where he is just as bad of a fit as on the Rockets? They have even less SF depth than we do and they are possibly cutting bait on him. As far as I'm concerned even on a vet minimum Melo is one of the worst players in the league we could add to this team.
    Houston's offense is predicated on 2 guys dominating the ball and everybody else just standing around waiting for the ball to be delivered. They're also loaded with bad defenders. I think he would be a much better fit here. Even Rockets fans say it was on the other guys more than it was on Melo

Basketball Guru
    Houston's offense is predicated on 2 guys dominating the ball and everybody else just standing around waiting for the ball to be delivered. They're also loaded with bad defenders. I think he would be a much better fit here. Even Rockets fans say it was on the other guys more than it was on Melo

cp3 on his last leg....houston defense is bad...melo was not knocking down his shots which is needed for houston style....

the only positive i see melo being on this team is that he still can use his size to be a post up player and score inside but that mean less playing time here and we know his mind is not ready to give in to less playing time...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    cp3 on his last leg....houston defense is bad...melo was not knocking down his shots which is needed for houston style....

the only positive i see melo being on this team is that he still can use his size to be a post up player and score inside but that mean less playing time here and we know his mind is not ready to give in to less playing time...
    If it fails we can cut him. But he's better than Wes Johnson and Solomon Hill so it's worth a shot imo. Nobody in Houston was knocking down their shots. Eric Gordon shooting 32% fg, 23% 3pt. Harden shooting 41%fg. Chris Paul shooting 40%fg, 33% 3pt. It's just easier to point the finger at Melo.

Edit: also this isnt exactly a reply to you. But Houstons offense is also predicated on jacking up an insane amount of 3s. They totally avoid the mid range, even if it's open. Gentry bent on that last year which allowed Jrue to take off. Although I dont think Melo should be shooting alot, we need another scorer on this team. If Melo fails cut him, it's hard to lose in the situation so it's worth a shot.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 11-12-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Basketball Guru
    If it fails we can cut him. But he's better than Wes Johnson and Solomon Hill so it's worth a shot imo. Nobody in Houston was knocking down their shots. Eric Gordon shooting 32% fg, 23% 3pt. Harden shooting 41%fg. Chris Paul shooting 40%fg, 33% 3pt. It's just easier to point the finger at Melo.
    yeah its easier to point at melo because he is the new guy...those 3 will play better but you dont know what you will get from melo in the future so i guess houston feel the need to cut now but majority of people figure melo to houston may not work out so just end it now and let whatever team sign him if they think he will be good for them.......

Houston's offense IS predicated on guys standing around waiting to get the ball. One of those guys? Melo. Because he doesn't know how to move off-ball, or cut, or come off screens, because he is next to useless without the ball in his hands. In a motion offense like ours, he would be a dead weight who either stands there waiting for someone to pass it to him so he can jack up a bad shot, or he would refuse to pass the ball and waste the motion of everyone else. The man has a 2.9% assist percentage. It was 6.5% last year, which still sucks.

We had this conversation last time he got dumped, by the Hawks, which happened immediately after he got dumped by OKC.

Melo sucks. He can't defend at all. He is inefficient, and has got more inefficient every year for basically half a decade now. His scoring has gone down, basically every year. His net rating has gone down, basically every year. He hasn't had a positive BPM in years, his win shares are down annually, his VORP is down annually, his PER is down annually, his TS% is down annually, he sucks.

When he sucked in NYC, the excuse was that he had a horrible organisation around him and no help. Doesn't explain why his individual numbers were declining, but we could accept that as a cause of team failure. Then, he goes to OKC: Suddenly he's on a team that gets to the playoffs every year, and he's playing with the reigning MVP and another guy who was an all-star the year before: he still sucks, and all the blame got put on Donovan for letting the entire team down, or Russ for not being a team player. Fine, maybe that's true. Doubtful, but maybe. Now he goes to Houston, who have one of the top 5 point guards of all time, last years MVP, and just came off a conference finals run, and he still sucks, and now the excuse is that his team around him is playing badly, and the coach doesn't know how to use him in the offense.

At what point does Melo get any blame for this? Him sucking in NY isn't his fault, him sucking in OKC isn't his fault, him sucking in Houston isn't his fault. When do we stop with the excuses and realise that the common factor on every team he's sucked on, is him? Doesn't matter if he has no talent like in NY, or a reigning MVP and a guaranteed hall of famer in Houston. Doesn't matter if the team was in a playoff drought like NY or if it just went to the conference finals like Houston. Doesn't matter if the coach was a failure like in NY, or if he was a COTY candidate like D'Antoni. The common factor in every case is Melo, and he sucks. Do we have to get to the point where he spontaneously vomits whenever he touches the ball before people accept that he's declined BADLY?

When do the excuses stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Houston's offense IS predicated on guys standing around waiting to get the ball. One of those guys? Melo. Because he doesn't know how to move off-ball, or cut, or come off screens, because he is next to useless without the ball in his hands. In a motion offense like ours, he would be a dead weight who either stands there waiting for someone to pass it to him so he can jack up a bad shot, or he would refuse to pass the ball and waste the motion of everyone else. The man has a 2.9% assist percentage. It was 6.5% last year, which still sucks.

We had this conversation last time he got dumped, by the Hawks, which happened immediately after he got dumped by OKC.

Melo sucks. He can't defend at all. He is inefficient, and has got more inefficient every year for basically half a decade now. His scoring has gone down, basically every year. His net rating has gone down, basically every year. He hasn't had a positive BPM in years, his win shares are down annually, his VORP is down annually, his PER is down annually, his TS% is down annually, he sucks.

When he sucked in NYC, the excuse was that he had a horrible organisation around him and no help. Doesn't explain why his individual numbers were declining, but we could accept that as a cause of team failure. Then, he goes to OKC: Suddenly he's on a team that gets to the playoffs every year, and he's playing with the reigning MVP and another guy who was an all-star the year before: he still sucks, and all the blame got put on Donovan for letting the entire team down, or Russ for not being a team player. Fine, maybe that's true. Doubtful, but maybe. Now he goes to Houston, who have one of the top 5 point guards of all time, last years MVP, and just came off a conference finals run, and he still sucks, and now the excuse is that his team around him is playing badly, and the coach doesn't know how to use him in the offense.

At what point does Melo get any blame for this? Him sucking in NY isn't his fault, him sucking in OKC isn't his fault, him sucking in Houston isn't his fault. When do we stop with the excuses and realise that the common factor on every team he's sucked on, is him? Doesn't matter if he has no talent like in NY, or a reigning MVP and a guaranteed hall of famer in Houston. Doesn't matter if the team was in a playoff drought like NY or if it just went to the conference finals like Houston. Doesn't matter if the coach was a failure like in NY, or if he was a COTY candidate like D'Antoni. The common factor in every case is Melo, and he sucks. Do we have to get to the point where he spontaneously vomits whenever he touches the ball before people accept that he's declined BADLY?

I know these are just highlights but Melo made about 4 great defensive plays in these 2 minutes while scoring 24pts. We wont know if Melo can move off ball because he never played in an offense that called for it. Anybody can cut, it's not rocket science. He's still an offensive weapon. I still believe he can play for us. Rockets just looking for a scapegoat and Dantoni never liked him, I think he's still holding a grudge.

Melo does not suck. That's just not true. You're pulling advanced statistics 11 games into the season from a losing team. Of course those numbers will look bad. Again we're talking about a minimum deal. We're literally paying 2 SF's a combined $19M that he is much better then. You would literally have to hate Melo to not want to bring him in. It's like this team has crazy depth on the wings or something.

Thanks. Saved me the trouble. Melo is an iso ball player who simply isn't a good fit in an uptempo motion based offense like ours. He's a bad 3pt shooter, a bad defender who gives little to no effort, and his attitude makes him a malcontent whenever things aren't going his way. I don't believe he's better than Wesley Johnson for us.

I know these are just highlights but Melo made about 4 great defensive plays in these 2 minutes while scoring 24pts. We wont know if Melo can move off ball because he never played in an offense that called for it. Anybody can cut, it's not rocket science. He's still an offensive weapon. I still believe he can play for us. Rockets just looking for a scapegoat and Dantoni never liked him, I think he's still holding a grudge.

Melo does not suck. That's just not true. You're pulling advanced statistics 11 games into the season from a losing team. Of course those numbers will look bad. Again we're talking about a minimum deal. We're literally paying 2 SF's a combined $19M that he is much better then. You would literally have to hate Melo to not want to bring him in. It's like this team has crazy depth on the wings or something.
    He's in an offense that requires it right now. Rewatch the Rockets from last season: guys like Ariza cut pretty regularly. Anyone can cut? Somebody better tell that to Melo, because he doesn't seem aware of that.

Also, advanced statistics from 11 games? Dude, the downward trend I'm describing started in 2013-14. The total number of games since then is 351. He's been declining for more games than Joel Embiid has ever played. He's been declining for more games than Kristaps Porzingis has ever played. Hell, he's been declining for more games than Kristaps and Joel Embiid combined have ever played. If that's not a big enough sample size for you, I don't know what to say.

I'd like an answer for my question still: if he sucked in NY and it wasn't his fault, and then he got even worse in OKC and it wasn't his fault, and now he's performing poorly again in Houston and it's not his fault, at what point will it be his fault? What does he have to do in order for it to be his fault, and not somebody else's?

I got have highlights too lol
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

The Rockets have even worse wing depth than us and they're discussing cutting him. That should tell you everything you need to know about how they feel about him. If they thought he could help them win at all, they wouldn't get rid of Melo.

Highlights are absolutely pointless when looking at a player. Look here's highlights of Hill, it must mean he's actually good!

https://youtu.be/xDZHx_NIFBk

https://twitter.com/WillGuillory/sta...304413186?s=19

Good to know the Pelicans are sensible. They don't even view him as a SF anymore.

He's in an offense that requires it right now. Rewatch the Rockets from last season: guys like Ariza cut pretty regularly. Anyone can cut? Somebody better tell that to Melo, because he doesn't seem aware of that.

Also, advanced statistics from 11 games? Dude, the downward trend I'm describing started in 2013-14. The total number of games since then is 351. He's been declining for more games than Joel Embiid has ever played. He's been declining for more games than Kristaps Porzingis has ever played. Hell, he's been declining for more games than Kristaps and Joel Embiid combined have ever played. If that's not a big enough sample size for you, I don't know what to say.

I'd like an answer for my question still: if he sucked in NY and it wasn't his fault, and then he got even worse in OKC and it wasn't his fault, and now he's performing poorly again in Houston and it's not his fault, at what point will it be his fault? What does he have to do in order for it to be his fault, and not somebody else's?
    He's decline from a superstar status. He hasnt sucked, peoples expectations have been too high. I will gladly take 13-15ppg from Melo. We dont need him to be a star player.

Also Ariza barely cut, I watched tons of rockets games last year. He camped on the 3pt line.

Who on our team will stop Melo from getting minutes? Ian Clark? Solomon Hill? Wesley Johnson? Are these better players? Its established Melo isnt a star anymore. He even accepted a bench role so anybody saying that he still thinks he is, are speaking for a man that has shown different.

https://twitter.com/WillGuillory/sta...304413186?s=19

Good to know the Pelicans are sensible. They don't even view him as a SF anymore.
    Well that's that. I still disagree

Thread Information