Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jahlil Okafor

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    All the media I've seen of Okafor Jnr this offseason has been pretty encouraging. Enough to stay optimistic anyway
    It reminds me of Julius Randle's off season transformation before his breakout season last year.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    It reminds me of Julius Randle's off season transformation before his breakout season last year.
    And Dipo as well.

I'm not getting my hopes up that he will make as good a jump as those two tho

But he was pick 3 so the talent is latent there somewhere

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    That's like the fifth athlete that's gotten huge results from that place.

Whatever they're doing, other players need to start copying it.

And Dipo as well.

I'm not getting my hopes up that he will make as good a jump as those two tho

But he was pick 3 so the talent is latent there somewhere
    Let’s get Anthony Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BmlysmTh...ource=ig_embed

Saw this somewhere and thought it was interesting.
    mental health is no joker, much more than physical. Maybe this was the reason for his unsuccess and he has found a way to deal with it and could blossom.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    mental health is no joker, much more than physical. Maybe this was the reason for his unsuccess and he has found a way to deal with it and could blossom.
    I think you could be right. As someone who has multiple family members with fairly severe mental illness (it runs in the family), and another family member who works in caring for people who suffer from them, I've seen first-hand, several times, how anxiety, depression, personality disorders, etc, can completely cripple perfectly capable and skilled individuals. If Okafor has been legitimately struggling with that, then his ever lessening minutes, and the constant media negativity could easily have worsened his play several times over, regardless of how skilled he is. If he's getting the help he needs, and he can be supported while he turns that corner, then he could be a completely different player this season than we've ever seen before.

Obviously I'm not saying he will be, only time will tell that, but there's a lot of reason for hope.
    Basketball.

I'm a mental health therapist. Definitely something that could have caused the decline. And our team with AD and Jrue also strikes me as a great recovery environment. Seems like really good people to be around. Gentry, too. Recovery environment is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I'm a mental health therapist. Definitely something that could have caused the decline. And our team with AD and Jrue also strikes me as a great recovery environment. Seems like really good people to be around. Gentry, too. Recovery environment is huge.
    Totally agree. If there's another team better, I don't know it. Like you say, AD and Jrue are both the perfect personalities to be around during recovery, but the whole team really. As much as Rondo was great at times, I think he's the kind of difficult personality that wouldn't be very productive for someone on the path of mental health recovery. Obviously no Boogie for the same reason. Randle, Payton, Moore, Clark, and Mirotic all seem like positive, pleasant guys.

Can training camp get here already damn I'm excited lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Ready to crush the warriors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if Okafor turns out to be a beast and takes the starting C job and AD goes back to PF? Can a man dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    What if Okafor turns out to be a beast and takes the starting C job and AD goes back to PF? Can a man dream?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iw2b.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	6351

I am rooting for him to ball out. I keep hearing on podcasts that emeka is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    I am rooting for him to ball out. I keep hearing on podcasts that emeka is gone.
    Yeah him and Liggins at this point are only valuable in trade dump.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    That's a bit sad, I loved the effort he brought on defence. Wish we could get rid of Ajinca instead

What podcasts do you listen to?

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    So you are saying Okafor is going to be better than Niko and Randle?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Now that's a bit of a stretch. But probably considerably better then Diallo

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    I don't think so, no. But then, stranger things have happened.

Like Ginobili retiring.

That's a bit sad, I loved the effort he brought on defence. Wish we could get rid of Ajinca instead

What podcasts do you listen to?
    Bird writes, locked on, black and blue, ESPN Nola and ESPN baton rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Now that's a bit of a stretch. But probably considerably better then Diallo
    Lol I was saying the same thing as far as potential but he said something along the lines of taking the starting position
    Last edited by tyler; 08-28-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Okafor was on CJ McCollum's podcast and he said a lot of encouraging stuff. Said that he was excited to be around the Pels winning environment, because he's never been around that since joining the NBA. Also said that he's been talking to the Pels coaches and trainers and he's aware that rebounding and defense are his biggest areas to work on. Seemed quite self aware and lucid. Promising stuff.

Man oh man, imagine a breakout year for Okafor, Jackson and Payton, along with Randle playing like he did last year. This team will be straight FIRE!!!

My dream scenario

Payton remains the starting PG and Hill is the starting SF with Frank winning the backup PG role and having Jah beat out Diallo for the 4th big spot.

Payton/Jackson
    jrue/Clark
    Hill/moore
    Ad/nico
    Randle/Jah

Miller/Diallo/bluiett for depth. Ajinca, t Williams and Lawson rounding out the bench. When we win big these guys will own garbage time and we will sign a second 2way project
    Last edited by wnelson; 08-30-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Let's not be too greedy, if you could only pick one to guarantee a great year who would your choice be?

Solomon Hill
    Frank Jackson
    Elfrid Payton
    Julius Randle
    Jahlil Okafor

That's a hard one but I'm inclined to go with Hill or Payton.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thread Information