Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Jahlil Okafor

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    It wouldn't have been good?
    I mean I get that many would have been upset if we traded a 1st for jahlil a couple of years ago, but it didn't happen. He's on the team now with a great contract, that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I mean I get that many would have been upset if we traded a 1st for jahlil a couple of years ago, but it didn't happen. He's on the team now with a great contract, that's all that matters.
    THIS!!!! But equally important, Dell didn't fold and max him when he rejected, and offered less do to other moves. Regardless, end result we are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better off.

I’ve wanted okafor since he came out in the draft I think he’s a product of being on bad teams I’m hopeful he’s gonna turn it around he has talent to work with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okafor appearing in quite a few summer workout videos, including this one.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Oak was straight beastin in that vid but it's Dipo's world

Guest appearance by out of shape John Wall

Yeah I mean, they were obviously only.playing at something like 60% speed and nobody was really investing in defense, but it's still encouraging footage. He had a block, another almost-block, and some decent defense staying in front of a guard at about 10 feet out for a second. His corner three looks like it's a nice shot, no idea how it will translate to a real game being legitimately defended though. His midrange looked real though.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Okafor's story hasn't been written yet. That much is clear. I don't know if he'll ever be a decent defender. But with the right team around him, he can be an asset.

He’s a low-risk signing, but I have him behind AD, Randle, Mirotic, and Diallo as far as big men depth.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    He’s a low-risk signing, but I have him behind AD, Randle, Mirotic, and Diallo as far as big men depth.

He's there with Diallo with strengths but also big weaknesses.

As MM said at TD, Oak was brought in to light a fire under Diallo's ******. He's been getting way too ahead of himself

He's there with Diallo with strengths but also big weaknesses.

As MM said at TD, Oak was brought in to light a fire under Diallo's ******. He's been getting way too ahead of himself
    Okafor has a much more polished and confident offensive game, but his defensive woes are just as bad, if not worse. Will be interesting to see how they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Okafor has a much more polished and confident offensive game, but his defensive woes are just as bad, if not worse. Will be interesting to see how they go.
    Diallo's game is mostly predicated on speed whereas Oak's game was/is predicated on calculated moves

Either way, I'm excited/ready for disappointment to see how each has evolved this season

Diallo's game is mostly predicated on speed whereas Oak's game was/is predicated on calculated moves

Either way, I'm excited/ready for disappointment to see how each has evolved this season
    I know it's been said a ton, but I do really feel bad for Okafor. If he had been drafted in 1998, he'd have been killing it.

I know it's been said a ton, but I do really feel bad for Okafor. If he had been drafted in 1998, he'd have been killing it.
    Even if he was drafted in 98 his defense would be garbage.

I think Jah is there to light a fire under diallo. Only one will be here next season regardless of this one. I hope both Okafors kill it nest season.

I love this signing. We needed another center to battle and hopefully beat out Emeka Okafor & Alexis Ajinca. He looked like one of the best players in college his one year winning a title for Duke. He’s got skills offensively no doubt. His weakness has been his play on defense. I think it had a lot to do with him being slow. Now that he’s lost some weight and is much quicker he ought to be better on defense. He had a good stat line his rookie year with 17.5 ppg, 7 rpg, & 1.2 bpg. He played on two of the worst teams in NBA history pretty much. I think we will see a much better player this year now that he’s lost some weight and playing on a competent team. He’s already put in the work to lose some weight and get faster, so hopefully he will put in the work with Erman to get better defensively. Now that he’s fighting to stay in the league, I would think he will do whatever it takes to stay. We lucky he didn’t go play in China where he would of likely made way more money. I think this will be one of those great under the radar signings that Dell seems to pull off frequently.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 08-11-2018 at 06:23 PM.

You could honestly say that about a number of big men these days.

Boban Marjanović would probably become an all time great if he was born a generation or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    I think Jah is there to light a fire under diallo. Only one will be here next season regardless of this one. I hope both Okafors kill it nest season.

I didn't think of that until it was mentioned but I could definitely see that as part of the rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    You could honestly say that about a number of big men these days.

Boban Marjanović would probably become an all time great if he was born a generation or two ago.
    Nah, Boban has feet so heavy he'd seem slow in the late 70s. He's big though so yeah, he'd probably average 26rpg in the 80s.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    The good thing is Okafor can play a role on this team. He’s never played with talent like AD or Jrue.

With the addition of Jahlil our camp roster looks pretty strong.

C: 23 Anthony Davis, 4 Jahlil Okafor, 50 Emeka Okafor, 42 Alexis Ajinca
    PF: 30 Julius Randle, 3 Nikola Mirotic, 13 Cheick Diallo
    SF: 44 Solomon Hill, 21 Darius Miller, 0 Troy Williams, 33 Garlon Green
    SG: 11 Jrue Holiday, 55 Etwaun Moore, 34 DeAndre Liggins, 12 Trevon Blueitt
    PG: 2 Elfrid Payton, 2 Ian Clark, 15 Frank Jackson

I see both Payton & Clark with #2, so not sure which one will have a different number out of those two.

Man I’m really excited about this roster. I think the combo of Julius Randle, Elfrid Payton, & Jahlil Okafor will be as effective as the combo of Demarcus Cousins & Rajon Rondo. Randle gives us scoring, rebounding, & defense in the paint. Payton gives us a playmaker that can also do some damage driving to the hoop. Hopefully his jump shot improves. I think Okafor will give us a stretch 5 that can hit those open 3s like Cousins did and space the floor for AD, Jrue, & Payton. Okafor will do some damage offensively without a doubt IMO. Niko will be a beast of a 6th man. He was a great addition last year and showed to be quite effective in the playoffs. Just imagine that coming off the bench. Not sure if we can bring Moore off the bench like I hope, but we will need another 3 point shooter in that starting lineup. I’m hoping Hill can be decent there or maybe Miller moves into the starting lineup. Hopefully against most teams Moore starts and against teams with tough 3s Hill gets the nod. Not sure what to make of Troy Williams. I’m hoping he comes in and is effective if Hill doesn’t improve any. If he’s still available I would try to bring in Shabazz Muhammad to camp. We ought to bring in as much talent as we can at the 3 and let them duke it out for the roster spots. That second team would be the best 3 point shooting 2nd team in the league. If Moore plays in a starting 3 guard lineup like he did last year than Miller may move to the backup 2. I’m hoping Frank Jackson takes the backup point spot from Ian Clark cause I think he has more talent to offer. Having a combo 4th big of Jahlil & Diallo will be huge IMO. If we need scoring we got Jahlil and if we need defense & athleticism we got Diallo. I’m hoping with the weight loss & Erman’s coaching Jahlil gets better defensively. He’s a decent rebounder and one helluva scorer. Hopefully he will allow us to use Diallo as a piece to get us a legit small forward during the season. I hope every team sleeps on Jahlil like this message board cause with him motivated to make it in this league he may just win the most improved player award!!!

Payton held up a #4 jersey at his press conference. Okafor will not wear #4. I would guess he wears #8 like he had at Philly (since his college # 15 is taken as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post

No we cant let Diallo go he is our best bench warmer I never seen someone with so much energy riding the pine. No way Okafor is a better cheerleader.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmlysmTh...ource=ig_embed

Saw this somewhere and thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BmlysmTh...ource=ig_embed

Saw this somewhere and thought it was interesting.
    All the media I've seen of Okafor Jnr this offseason has been pretty encouraging. Enough to stay optimistic anyway

Thread Information