Pelicans Report

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Western Playoffs Round 1 - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - Game One

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    We take this game, I can see us beating the Blazers in 5. I really do.

Which is why this game will be friggin' tough. Dame Lillard is a baller. So is McCollum. And if Aminu decides to hit crazy shots...

But I feel like AD has been holding back the last few weeks. Plus he's been tired. I think he breaks something off tonight.
    I missed this thread due to being at a wedding for most of the game but damn if this wasn't a negrodamus moment. lol excellent call sir
    I'm a grinder

Just chiming in on this since the area in the West from west texas to Washington was all my territory when I traveled for work.

Flying from LA to the Coachella valley is miniscule from the perspective of altitude and climate. Actually, if he as going to do any type of cardio training the dry weather is probably better in Coachella.

Flying from LA to Portland is like traveling to a different planet..cloud systems, humidity, temperature, altitude is all far worss for one's joints in Portland...factoring in the extra flight time I'm not sure it would be smart for him to fly to and stay in Portland for a long period of time

Boogie flew to New York to interview for the Knicks job. Then he walked to Brooklyn to get Puffy some cheesecake. Lol geez guys. WE WON GAME ONE ON THE ROAD IN A HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT!!!
    RIP FlyGirl

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Back to discussing the game ... something that needs to be noted is how well Mirotic played, especially defensively. Mirotic seems to thrive with more responsibility. I know we see him as a bench guy when Boogie comes back, but the guy is starting material, but not over Boogie. Could we see a starting unit of AD, Boogie, Mirotic, Jrue, and Rondo!? Who knows, but it is fun to imagine! It will be interesting to see how Mirotic, Boogie, and AD are utilized when that time comes. Mirotic is a baller!
    Last edited by luigi modelo; 04-15-2018 at 10:14 AM.

as son as I started playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDJSF6Up54

We got the lead and didn't let go. I think I found our song of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    Festivals have backstage and VIP areas with far less people, he could easily hang out see a few acts in particular that perhaps he wanted to catch. Wouldnt have to be there all day either. I saw that post earlier and thought it was him on the way to the game, outfit makes far more sense with Coachella hahaha. I imagine this will irk quite a few people, hopefully just the fans and the players can focus on game 2. I'm sure Rondo will be keeping them focused with his 2am.calls.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Lol, seriously. People think Boogie is just up in the crowd with everyone else?? Cmon man.

Mackellllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basketball Guru
    Had a good feeling the road pelicans would show up and now we need the home pelicans to seal the deal and sweep this series or close it out in 5...

I said on that build up thread that if diallo can shake the nerves off and Miller can get his 3pt shot back we should be good but I think diallo might not see but 4 mins next game just to give ad some type of rest......Miller has to get going for us to take Portland out easy.....

The highlight of the night for me was watching nbatv and Isiah Thomas asked Mike Connelly to talk about what those two was talking about off camera..then conerly said that jrue holiday is one of the players he would love to play with...hearing that made my day.......a Connely and holiday back court...make it happen Dell lol.....

Why are people talking about Boogie? We just won our first playoff game since Jesus walked on water.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Why are people talking about Boogie? We just won our first playoff game since Jesus walked on water.
    Probably because Nola.com decided to run a click bait article instead of in depth game analysis the day after our 1st playoff win in 7 years.

It was low class and in bad taste but of course why would you expect a real news organization to hold themselves to higher standards than Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Probably because Nola.com decided to run a click bait article instead of in depth game analysis the day after our 1st playoff win in 7 years.

It was low class and in bad taste but of course why would you expect a real news organization to hold themselves to higher standards than Twitter.
    I mean it was one article amongst a half dozen or so on the Pelicans last night. Which included a recap, a piece on Jrue’s suffocating defense, Anthony Davis getting over the playoff win hump, another recap from another perspective on looking to the rest of the series and why we can win. And it currently ranks at the bottom of their coverage on the site. It’s not like that was their contribution to the world and that was it.

I think it is a legit question for a news organization that covers sports to want answers on. You have a version of events from the coach that insists on one thing, and the player doing the opposite. But like I said last night, it’s not something I’m going to obsess over, but it is something I want to keep an eye on. Every other sign we have is that Boogie loves NOLA, the team, and wants to be here, and that he has turned a corner from his more immature days, but if he did lie to the coach and by default the team, that is a red flag you have to take into consideration.

Back to all the good news, it is a bit surreal to see how much the national press is straight up fawning over Jrue now. Jalen Rose calling him his favorite guard for the gritty way he plays and just makes a team better doing the often overlooked technical parts of the game. They all expect Lillard to have better games the rest of the series but say that playoff Rondo and Jrue is going to be a nightmare for any backcourt.

The secret is officially out.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-15-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

What Freaking purpose did that article serve? Absolutely disgusting . Someone should be canned.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I mean it was one article amongst a half dozen or so on the Pelicans last night. Which included a recap, a piece on Jrue’s suffocating defense, Anthony Davis getting over the playoff win hump, another recap from another perspective on looking to the rest of the series and why we can win. And it currently ranks at the bottom of their coverage on the site. It’s not like that was their contribution to the world and that was it.

I think it is a legit question for a news organization that covers sports to want answers on. You have a version of events from the coach that insists on one thing, and the player doing the opposite. But like I said last night, it’s not something I’m going to obsess over, but it is something I want to keep an eye on. Every other sign we have is that Boogie loves NOLA, the team, and wants to be here, and that he has turned a corner from his more immature days, but if he did lie to the coach and by default the team, that is a red flag you have to take into consideration.
    So, he's gonna lie & then post an Instagram for the entire country to see? Nah, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    So, he's gonna lie & then post an Instagram for the entire country to see? Nah, I don't think so.
    What are you contesting here? The facts are the facts.

They quoted Gentry's words to the press Saturday afternoon, which have been reported by additional outlets, that Boogie told him he was not yet allowed to fly and would be unable to join them......Hours later Boogie's business manager posted an instagram on the manager's own instagram page that was purported to be from yesterday heading to possibly Coachella. Either way, its Boogie on a plane after Gentry was made to understand by Boogie he was not allowed to travel by plane right now.

You can debate whether this was worthy of reporting, I think it is, but the facts be the facts.

What I hope is that there are additional facts that put to rest the worst inferences that can be drawn. Like maybe Gentry mis-interpreted what was said etc.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-15-2018 at 03:18 PM.

I agree with this. I remember I called in sick once to buy my wife Beyonce tix. While I was in line, Fox 8 wanted to ask me questions about the concert on camera. I declined because I need my job. Back to the point. Why would Boogie lie to his boss and then have his manager post a pic? No story here in my opinion plus NOLA.com is hack journalism at its best.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I agree with this. I remember I called in sick once to buy my wife Beyonce tix. While I was in line, Fox 8 wanted to ask me questions about the concert on camera. I declined because I need my job. Back to the point. Why would Boogie lie to his boss and then have his manager post a pic? No story here in my opinion plus NOLA.com is hack journalism at its best.
    Why are you assuming Boogie was aware of the post or had anything to do with it? Let alone directed for it to be posted?

Why are you assuming Boogie's business manager was aware of what Boogie told to Gentry?

Why are you assuming Boogie was aware of the post or had anything to do with it? Let alone directed for it to be posted?

Why are you assuming Boogie's business manager was aware of what Boogie told to Gentry?
    I’m also assuming that his manager is competent. If the manager put his client in jeopardy after boogie lied to his boss, he should be fired.

Edit: I’m just playing devil’s advocate. I’m not coming for you.

We actually only have speculation. We have no idea what that one photo means. We don't even know if Cousins was just trolling with it or maybe he was testing out planes because he wanted to buy a private jet.

Also he didn't lie to the coaches and team because he called and texted the team before the game giving them encouragement and told them he wasn't going to make it.

Maybe Gentry lied to the media and told a poor lie but there is no indication or proof that Cousins lied to the team at all.

The point isn't that the question was asked. If some blogger wanted to start some hot take on twitter that's one thing. The home freaking paper running what is essentially a hit piece on the team the day after they won their 1st playoff game is totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I’m also assuming that his manager is competent. If the manager put his client in jeopardy after boogie lied to his boss, he should be fired.

My guess is, and this is just from experience in life, Boogie doesn't sit down with all of his various managers and handlers and give them a breakdown of every detail in every conversation they have.

Like I already said, additional facts would clear up any speculation, but lets not concoct things we don't have evidence for because we want a certain narrative to be true. It is very possible that the lines of communication between Gentry and Cousins got crossed and Gentry heard the wrong thing. It could be that there is some medical context that explains why he might tell Gentry he can't travel to Portland but could travel to Coachella. It could also be that Cousins wanted to go to Coachella and on a whim gave the coach a white lie unbeknownst to his manager, and unbeknownst to Boogie, that manager just was excited to post a picture and had no foreknowledge of the Gentry/Boogie conversation. Lots of possibilities and none we can say for sure are correct.

And for the record, even if it came to be proven that the most nefarious explanation was the truth, I am not sure that would mean a whole lot to me when you look at the total context of Boogie's behavior since in New Orleans. Which is basically exemplary....I mean Kawhi was posting instagram stories about getting into Fortnite as the Spurs were ramping up to play the Warriors. And I don't think anyone would hesitate to sign him to a max if he wanted into NOLA.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-15-2018 at 03:54 PM.

We actually only have speculation. We have no idea what that one photo means. We don't even know if Cousins was just trolling with it or maybe he was testing out planes because he wanted to buy a private jet.

Also he didn't lie to the coaches and team because he called and texted the team before the game giving them encouragement and told them he wasn't going to make it.

Maybe Gentry lied to the media and told a poor lie but there is no indication or proof that Cousins lied to the team at all.

The point isn't that the question was asked. If some blogger wanted to start some hot take on twitter that's one thing. The home freaking paper running what is essentially a hit piece on the team the day after they won their 1st playoff game is totally different.

You need to read my words more carefully, not just that post but the others, I never said it was proven Boogie lied. One avenue of possibility is Gentry misinterpreted or misrepresented what was told to him.

There is zero wrong with reporting this inconsistency to the public that has a right to know. The presses job, including in sports, is not to act simply as fans cheering on the subjects they report on. For sports that can be a component for obvious reasons, but it shouldn't stop an outlet from reporting on things that can be interpreted negatively IMO.

Where I would criticize them is if they don't reach out to both parties for clarification and update the reader on their findings appropriately.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-15-2018 at 03:49 PM.

What are you contesting here? The facts are the facts.

They quoted Gentry's words to the press Saturday afternoon, which have been reported by additional outlets, that Boogie told him he was not yet allowed to fly and would be unable to join them......Hours later Boogie's business manager posted an instagram on the manager's own instagram page that was purported to be from yesterday heading to possibly Coachella. Either way, its Boogie on a plane after Gentry was made to understand by Boogie he was not allowed to travel by plane right now.

You can debate whether this was worthy of reporting, I think it is, but the facts be the facts.

What I hope is that there are additional facts that put to rest the worst inferences that can be drawn. Like maybe Gentry mis-interpreted what was said etc.
    Inner workings are something we know nothing about. 1) twin engine flight 1 HR vs. 2 1/2 HR commercial flight is a HUGE difference. You, have assumed that Boogie said "Coach, I can't fly yet" . You don't know that. He could have told him that 5 hrs round trip on a commercial flight is not advised. 2) Seems pretty silly to think Boogie's agent doesn't know what was conveyed to the Pelicans. 3) You have claimed "FACTS", when in fact, you don't know the contextual significance of the Boogie/Gentry conversation. I mean, really- You think Gentry is gonna go into details regarding the conversation ?

Inner workings are something we know nothing about. 1) twin engine flight 1 HR vs. 2 1/2 HR commercial flight is a HUGE difference. You, have assumed that Boogie said "Coach, I can't fly yet" . You don't know that. He could have told him that 5 hrs round trip on a commercial flight is not advised. 2) Seems pretty silly to think Boogie's agent doesn't know what was conveyed to the Pelicans. 3) You have claimed "FACTS", when in fact, you don't know the contextual significance of the Boogie/Gentry conversation. I mean, really- You think Gentry is gonna go into details regarding the conversation ?
    Again, lets get this correct. That is NOT what I have said. I repeat, that is NOT what I have said. So I would appreciate you all dropping the straw men.

What we know for fact is that Gentry spoke the words to the press that Cousins could not come because he hasn't been cleared to fly.

We don't know if that is what Boogie told coach, we don't have records of their conversation. But one possibility is that he did in fact tell coach that and coach accurately reflected the facts of their conversation to the press. Other possibilities are that the lines of communication from one or the other got crossed, misinterpreted, or even that Gentry embellished what was told to him. All we have is Gentry saying he isn't allowed to fly yet so he can't come, and hours later a photo from his manager implying they are on their way to coachella.

It something that evokes, "a hey, whats up with that?" Which is where we should be with this and no more.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 04-15-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Why does it matter what Boogie do when he is injured!? He has shown up for this team more times when he was in the position do it in the regular season. Let him enjoy festival if he wants to. We got another 3 game to win.

You need to read my words more carefully, not just that post but the others, I never said it was proven Boogie lied. One avenue of possibility is Gentry misinterpreted or misrepresented what was told to him.

There is zero wrong with reporting this inconsistency to the public that has a right to know. The presses job, including in sports, is not to act simply as fans cheering on the subjects they report on. For sports that can be a component for obvious reasons, but it shouldn't stop an outlet from reporting on things that can be interpreted negatively IMO.
    No one is claiming they cannot report it.

What I'm saying is as the local paper, your job the very day after our 1st playoff win is to NOT be the one to cast the team and/or players in a bad light that could possibly distract them from what they are doing.

Keep click bait BS on Twitter. Not a professional news organization. And not at this moment. There is a time and place and what they did AS OUR PAPER was the wrong time.

They took 1 photo with no context and 1 quote from Gentry and now instead of fans being focused on the win and the next game there's this perceived issue and another "storyline".

If TMZ had said it over a tweet, whatever. But this is the team's local paper.

Thread Information