Pelicans Report

Thread: Refs

Refs

Ok. So there has been some questionable officiating. If there is some kind of underlying context here - what would it be? Is it just because AD and Jrue "doesn't#$@$ and complain about it" - or is it more than this? Obviously New Orleans is a very small market. Is it possible there'd be a bigger financial reward for not letting smaller markets into the playoffs?

I it has nothing to do with the Pels, it has to do with the NBA. They no longer believe in may the best team win, all they now care about is star power so Stephan A has something to ramble about. Book it, Harden wins the MVP, and the Cavs and Warriors meet in the finals again. It has become like the WWE, they do what's best for NBA business.
    Last edited by redrum; 03-19-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Both Davis and Jrue back away from contact. If they would sell it more they would get more FT calls. It's the holding onto AD off the ball which is the issue that the refs seem to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    I it has nothing to do with the Pels, it has to do with the NBA. They no longer believe in may the best team win, all they now care about is star power so Stephan A has something to ramble about. Book it, Harden wins the MVP, and the Cavs and Warriors meet in the finals again. It has become like the WWE, they do what's best for NBA business.
    Well that's massively depressing if it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Both Davis and Jrue back away from contact. If they would sell it more they would get more FT calls. It's the holding onto AD off the ball which is the issue that the refs seem to ignore.
    They don't back away from contact they just don't act like they're having a seizure when they do get contact

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I've had a conspiracy for years that the NBA is scripted. Look at what Tim Donaghy has said in the past. The league tells the refs to call the game a certain way and they try their hardest to sway the game. Whether you wanna believe him or not, that's up to you. But looking at how games have been called before, it's just way too obvious.

Is there some kind of anti corruption body to hold sporting organisations accountable in the states? Or do they govern themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by jben_net View Post
    Is there some kind of anti corruption body to hold sporting organisations accountable in the states? Or do they govern themselves?
    My understanding is sports are classified as entertainment and hence are allowed to sway results however they see fit.

Granted that would be a huge blow to fans of a sport and I'm sure they would try their very hardest to dissuade such rumors, but from a legal standpoint I think they are protected.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    They don't back away from contact they just don't act like they're having a seizure when they do get contact

Watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJjTgxzclJ4

Watch Davis at the 1 miute mark.
    Got Horford in the air and leans away.
    That's two shots, a fouls against Horford and closer to getting the team into the bonus.

Watch Holiday at the 9:30 mark.
    Got Tatum in the air 2 times which he could have had three FT's.

Prime example of the refs incompetence: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/r...m-dwane-casey/
    Sad that they inject themselves into games and really change the outcomes of games.

Quote Originally Posted by jben_net View Post
    Well that's massively depressing if it's true.
    It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    My understanding is sports are classified as entertainment and hence are allowed to sway results however they see fit.

Granted that would be a huge blow to fans of a sport and I'm sure they would try their very hardest to dissuade such rumors, but from a legal standpoint I think they are protected.
    This would be fraud and federally prosecutable.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    This would be fraud and federally prosecutable.
    How? Wrestling is labeled as entertainment as well and can't be sued due to fixing matches.

As long as a sport does not get directly involved with betting I'm not sure how they could be sued.

None of this really matters however because even if they could be sued, there is no evidence out there of a fix. On the contrary the NBA even releases the last 2 minutes of evaluation of plays on games that are close. No one would be able to prove in court that the NBA is fixed.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 03-20-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Fine its not fixed right,

But it is well known that superstars get more calls than regular players, hence they play by different rules than the others, this by itself is allowing the better players to showcase their abilities and put up better stats, get better endorsements, move to bigger markets, and become celebrities as much as basketball players.

What is to stop the NBA from allowing their Super Teams, their money makers, ( I mean how could the Warriors be called the same as the Hawks with 4 superstars to get a few special calls a game) getting favorable calls thus insuring the match ups they prefer? Creating the legacies they want, the Dynasties, the rivalries, the STORY.

Either that or the NBA has no idea how to hire, train, or discipline referees.
    Last edited by redrum; 03-20-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Fine its not fixed right,

But it is well known that superstars get more calls than regular players, hence they play by different rules than the others, this by itself is allowing the better players to showcase their abilities and put up better stats, get better endorsements, move to bigger markets, and become celebrities as much as basketball players.

What is to stop the NBA from allowing their Super Teams, their money makers, ( I mean how could the Warriors be called the same as the Hawks with 4 superstars to get a few special calls a game) getting favarable calls thus insuring the match ups they prefer? Creating the legacies they want, the Dynasties, the rivalries, the STORY.

Either that or the NBA has no idea how to hire, train, or discipline referees.
    That's a great conspiracy theory but how do you prove it?

That's a great conspiracy theory but how do you prove it?
    I can't, and they would just fine me $15,000 if I tried.
    Last edited by redrum; 03-20-2018 at 02:07 PM.

All players and fans want is consistency

All players and fans want is consistency

I think the NBA wants this too. They lost millions last year because of how short the playoffs were. I don't believe they want one super team because that actually costs them money. If anything, they want a giant killer which if healthy is what the Pels could be.

The problem I think stems more from not having enough rules in place to counter flopping / faking. Being able to retroactively punish players after the game would be a huge step and would eleminate a lot of the issues fans and teams have.

I think the NBA wants this too. They lost millions last year because of how short the playoffs were. I don't believe they want one super team because that actually costs them money. If anything, they want a giant killer which if healthy is what the Pels could be.

The problem I think stems more from not having enough rules in place to counter flopping / faking. Being able to retroactively punish players after the game would be a huge step and would eleminate a lot of the issues fans and teams have.
    The refs also being held accountable would probably go a long way bc some of these refs hold grudges and make biased calls but obviously the nab would never do that

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I can't, and they would just fine me $15,000 if I tried.
    Where's the "like" button on this site?

How? Wrestling is labeled as entertainment as well and can't be sued due to fixing matches.

As long as a sport does not get directly involved with betting I'm not sure how they could be sued.

None of this really matters however because even if they could be sued, there is no evidence out there of a fix. On the contrary the NBA even releases the last 2 minutes of evaluation of plays on games that are close. No one would be able to prove in court that the NBA is fixed.
    Wrestling is entertainment. Sports are sports. They are not the same thing. Just like getting sued and getting prosecuted aren't the same thing. I can't believe I'm wasting my time with this.

The refs also being held accountable would probably go a long way bc some of these refs hold grudges and make biased calls but obviously the nab would never do that

How do we know the refs aren't being talked to behind the scenes?

I would think odds are very high that they actually are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Wrestling is entertainment. Sports are sports. They are not the same thing. Just like getting sued and getting prosecuted aren't the same thing. I can't believe I'm wasting my time with this.
    That's why I said I thought the NBA was classified as entertainment.

I also said that it didn't matter because it could never be proved.

The biggest thing that drives me nuts, and I believe was worse in the 90s, is refs assuming a foul occurred, and blowing the whistle. I can handle no calls, but blowing a whistle because you think a foul occurred needs to stop. If refs started doing this then flopping would no longer be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information