Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who is your guilty obsession?

Who is your guilty obsession?

Outside of the Pels, what NBA team do you have a guilty obsession with? Mine used to be the Jazz (they were in New Orleans before they moved to SLC so the obsession is pure), but now I find myself following the Spurs. They represent the best of all of us.

How do they manage to restock year after year is weird.

How did Kyle Anderson and Djonte Murray go so late in the draft?
    Will Manu and TP ever age?
    Will they miss the playoffs ever again?
    There is a lot of guilty obsession with this team.

Who is your guilty obsession team?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I love the Jazz. I've seen them play in Salt Lake (which I also love) for the past two Thanksgivings. I was really bummed that Hayward left. That team would have been in a position to really do something had he stuck around - especially with the addition of Mitchell.

I also love the Spurs. I just wish they hadn't resigned Pau or signed Gay. Simmons looked good for them in the playoffs last year and I thought for sure he was going to be another one of their great finds.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    I love the Jazz. I've seen them play in Salt Lake (which I also love) for the past two Thanksgivings. I was really bummed that Hayward left. That team would have been in a position to really do something had he stuck around - especially with the addition of Mitchell.

I also love the Spurs. I just wish they hadn't resigned Pau or signed Gay. Simmons looked good for them in the playoffs last year and I thought for sure he was going to be another one of their great finds.
    Obsession can also be negative. So, with that being said, I don't like Harden, Gordon, Ryan Anderson or CP3- thus I hate Houston

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I don't really watch the NBA outside of the Pels anymore. But before I did, I always used to like Memphis and Toronto.

After Bruce Bowen left the Spurs my overwhelming appreciation for Pops and that organization has won out and they are probably, firmly, my second favorite team.

With that said, I'm also currently rooting for the bottom to drop out of the Spurs because I wan't the Pels to get a high seed. And Memphis almost took them tonight.

Hopefully the Lakers can upset another one with Portland though. Would love to see the Pels in the third seed just for the heck of it.

Lakers were up 10 now down 3 gah

I watch the Cavs because I am convinced that LeBron is the greatest player of all time, and I want to follow his career while that chance is available to me. Which has made this season really annoying.
    Basketball.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Who is your guilty obsession?

Cavaliers. LeBron is the closest thing to the GOAT since the actual GOAT.

I also follow the Nuggets by default since I live in Denver and I know more about them than any sports fan around here simply because I follow the league in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to follow Washington because I live and work in the DC metro area and they’re always on TV of course. Would love to see John Wall in a Pels uniform someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Obsession can also be negative. So, with that being said, I don't like Harden, Gordon, Ryan Anderson or CP3- thus I hate Houston
    Cosign!!!
    I'm a grinder

During my teenage years, the Mavs and Kings were my teams. Nowitzki and Stojakovic were my guys. I was raised as a Laker hater, but this season is my first time rooting for them. They’ve somehow become my other team. I don’t care much for Isaiah Thomas though. I wish they had kept Clarkson, or sent him to us. But I like Randle, Ball, & Kuzma, and I want to see them do well in their careers.
    RIP FlyGirl

I only follow other team from a distance. Don't really half anyone else I'm pulling for. Once the playoffs hit I will be pulling for any team. Not named GS or the Rockets (I just hate Harden's game built around flopping and adding CP3 with his flopping is too much).

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Before New Orleans got the Pelicans I was a Warriors fan going back to RUN TMC. The last college basketball season that featured Must See TV for me was Curry at Davidson. I do feel guilty being a fan of both these days.

I was a Lakers fan as a kid, but started paying attention to the Heat when Tim Hardaway left Golden State. I loved watching Wade as a rookie. I was a Magic fan when they had Shaq and Penny, and enjoyed the Lakers again until they chose Kobe over Shaq. Haven't been a fan of that team since. So when Shaq got traded to Heat to team up with Wade, I was all in with the Heat. I've remained a fan of that organization through the decision and ultimately Wade's return to South Beach this year!

These are guilty obsessions because I know people will look at it and assume I've hopped on bandwagons, but it's been a completely organic development because of my appreciation of Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, Chris Mullen, Shaq, Wade, and Curry.

That White Chocolate, Peja, and Webber team was fun as hell too.

* EDIT Late addition: The Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning Hornets were fun as well.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 03-06-2018 at 09:58 AM.

The Larry Johnson and Zo Hornets are the reason a lot of international fans followed through to New Orleans

I follow the Sixers bc they’re the local sports team, and I like Philly sports in general. I was at the Pels game in philly though. Turrrrrrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in Oregon and now live in Washington state, so I've always been familiar with Portland. I always pull for them when they weren't playing the Hornets, or aren't playing the Pels.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Before New Orleans got the Pelicans I was a Warriors fan going back to RUN TMC. The last college basketball season that featured Must See TV for me was Curry at Davidson. I do feel guilty being a fan of both these days.

I was a Lakers fan as a kid, but started paying attention to the Heat when Tim Hardaway left Golden State. I loved watching Wade as a rookie. I was a Magic fan when they had Shaq and Penny, and enjoyed the Lakers again until they chose Kobe over Shaq. Haven't been a fan of that team since. So when Shaq got traded to Heat to team up with Wade, I was all in with the Heat. I've remained a fan of that organization through the decision and ultimately Wade's return to South Beach this year!

These are guilty obsessions because I know people will look at it and assume I've hopped on bandwagons, but it's been a completely organic development because of my appreciation of Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, Chris Mullen, Shaq, Wade, and Curry.

That White Chocolate, Peja, and Webber team was fun as hell too.

* EDIT Late addition: The Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning Hornets were fun as well.
    Well, as i read through this thread I was amazed to see someone has basically the same line of thinking as I do! LOL, but I will add that I loved watching the Bulls through the Jordan years and Phoenix through the Barkley years.

Not directed at you MVP: Just to throw gas on the fire, if you think Lebron is the GOAT, you didn't watch Jordan play. Lebron is amazing and I try to watch him whenever I can but he is not MJ. I have watched both of their entire careers so far. Had Jordan not taken a break to play baseball I don't think it would even be debated.

Edited to add: I really think I was just a basketball fan in general and like to watch good teams play each other. But when the Hornets moved to Nola I was hooked immediately, now I hate every other team in the league although I still find myself rooting for some of them at times. Just not against the Pels of course.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 03-06-2018 at 01:32 PM.

MJ was the greatest ever. LBJ I think has cemented himself as No. 2/3 (depending how I feel about Kobe on any given day) but unless he goes on an insane run to end his career I don't think he can surpass MJ.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I can only say that MJ was the best I've seen. I don't know how to rank LBJ. It's a completely different era of basketball now. I never saw Russell, and only saw Kareem at the end, but how do you argue against their resumes to round out the top 3? Magic was a phenom. Bird was a force of nature. That's the top 5.

Unrelated, Ben Simmons is the closest I've seen to Penny Hardaway, who himself was the closest thing to Magic. If AD ever asks to be traded, 76ers are the first team I'm calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    MJ was the greatest ever. LBJ I think has cemented himself as No. 2/3 (depending how I feel about Kobe on any given day) but unless he goes on an insane run to end his career I don't think he can surpass MJ.
    Even if I accept MJ as number one, which I don't, what possible justification is there for having Kobe top three on any given day? I sometimes have trouble fitting him in my top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I watch the Cavs because I am convinced that LeBron is the greatest player of all time, and I want to follow his career while that chance is available to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Cavaliers. LeBron is the closest thing to the GOAT since the actual GOAT.
    This. I don't really care if you rank LeBron 1st, 2nd, 3rd, whatever. He is undoubtedly the greatest player of his generation and it's an absolute pleasure to see him play basketball during the height of his career.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 03-06-2018 at 03:41 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I don't really follow any other certain teams. But i was a big Tyreke fan before he came to the Pels. And I'm still a big fan. Sadly I don't get to watch any Grizzlies games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Even if I accept MJ as number one, which I don't, what possible justification is there for having Kobe top three on any given day? I sometimes have trouble fitting him in my top ten.
    I'm not old enough to remember the greats but also the game was so different I usually think of them as a different era and a separate list. I think of late 80s-ish until recently as the next group.

That said I'm not firm on my list other than MJ at 1. I can see arguments for a ton of guys. I probably wouldn't put Magic top 5 just because he cut his career short but other than him I can see 2-5 placing in any order and maybe even 2-7ish.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    This. I don't really care if you rank LeBron 1st, 2nd, 3rd, whatever. He is undoubtedly the greatest player of his generation and it's an absolute pleasure to see him play basketball during the height of his career.
    I don't think you will find anyone that would argue with you on this. How many times does a guy come out of high school with so much hype and actually live up to it, if not surpass it at this point. The dude has just been phenomenal from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm not old enough to remember the greats but also the game was so different I usually think of them as a different era and a separate list. I think of late 80s-ish until recently as the next group.

That said I'm not firm on my list other than MJ at 1. I can see arguments for a ton of guys. I probably wouldn't put Magic top 5 just because he cut his career short but other than him I can see 2-5 placing in any order and maybe even 2-7ish.
    I'm with you on this. In my mind there is Jordan and then an argument can be made after that for many people. Having watched tons of Jordans games and all of his playoff games I can say he is the only player that was guaranteed to do at least one amazing thing in every game. The special part was that he would not only drop 30 a night but that he would also eliminate your best wing. The two way ability he had is unheard of. He could dominate both ends of the court and did almost every night.

Thread Information