Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans @ 76ers 2/9/18

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    AD has the skillset of a Batman and the mental toughness of an Alfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    Thank goodness we have a b2b, when we get too much rest we are BAD
    Poor preparation which is a sign of bad coaching.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    AD has the skillset of a Batman and the mental toughness of an Alfred.
    That's an insult to Alfred. Guy is the one person Bruce Wayne can always count on.

Think Batman stitches his own wounds when he gets done beating on superhuman freaks of nature? I wish AD was as stalwart as Alfred.

I know not everything is Gentry’s fault. But I hope I never see him again after this season. Not even as an assistant for another team somewhere. Just stop trying to coach. It’s over.
    RIP FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Unless this team makes the playoffs under his leadership this year, you have wonder if you’re Dell if you’ll ever be able to put a successful team around him without an extremely favorable set of circumstances.

I can’t imagine looking at other players of his caliber that it would be this hard. Maybe we’ve been looking at this all wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AD was a superstar when he played for Monty Williams. It's been downhill since Gentry got here. Energy was something we never questioned with AD. He never took a play off. Under Gentry he has taken several games off, looks disinterested and disengaged.

Monty was making Davis into a machine, but Gentry said he was under utilizing a 22 year old. Davis last year with Monty he posted career highs in PER 30.8 and blocks 2.9. He led the league in blocks consecutive years. Watching highlights of Davis 2014-15 season is nostalgic, it's like a whole different AD. He played with so much energy and passion. He got the ball in spots where it allowed him to dominate, albeit some games he was ignored due to our high usage guards. Monty was turning AD into a mid range assassin.

We made a mistake in firing Monty. I wish we could bring him back, he would fit so well with this team.

Different player
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 02-09-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    AD was a superstar when he played for Monty Williams. It's been downhill since Gentry got here. Energy was something we never questioned with AD. He never took a play off. Under Gentry he has taken several games off, looks disinterested and disengaged.

Monty was making Davis into a machine, but Gentry said he was under utilizing a 22 year old. Davis last year with Monty he posted career highs in PER 30.8 and blocks 2.9. He led the league in blocks consecutive years. Watching highlights of Davis 2014-15 season is nostalgic, it's like a whole different AD. He played with so much energy and passion. He got the ball in spots where it allowed him to dominate, albeit some games he was ignored due to our high usage guards. Monty was turning AD into a mid range assassin.

We made a mistake in firing Monty. I wish we could bring him back, he would fit so well with this team.

Different player
    I don’t disagree that Monty probably got a raw deal in hindsight.

But AD is good enough to matter regardless of who the coach is.

I won’t make excuses for him.

AD looks like he’s regressed and/or disinterested. He had so much passion and a defensive stride in college and early in his career. I just don’t get it!

I could also see AD feeling this team is cursed and giving up.

I mean we haven't been healthy ANY season he's been here. No team has ever had the amount of injuries, and to core players, for such a sustained time as ours.

I can honestly see the Cousins injury causing AD to just be sick of it all and quiting on the season.

Now is that an excuse? Not at all. I'm just trying to make sense of what has happened to AD.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We aren’t making playoffs with the way we’ve look since cousins went down. I️ think we are in a really bad spot. We really screwed up trading for niko. Giving up our first round pick... Bulls were smart because they know we really could miss the playoffs. So this is a very real possibility:

We miss playoffs and Bulls get 8th pick of draft. We don’t resign cousins.
    AD is not a natural leader. Gentry is not leading either. This team is very disappointing. I️ will trade AD if Cousins isn’t resigning and we miss playoffs. Send him to Boston for Tatum, Brown, Horford and two first round picks. Figure out the salaries and make it work.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The team feels (rightfully) like they have nothing to play for. They went from being a potential 4 or 5 seed that no one wanted to see in the playoffs, to an 8th seed at best that might get swept. From top to bottom they don't gave the make up and fortitude to respond to this. Might be time to bring in Sam Hinkie, put AD on the block, and trust the process.

I mean...look, that was so bad you can't just point at one thing to explain the badness. But I will say this: replacing Rajon Rondo with Liggins in a starting lineup that had already lost DeMarcus Cousins is just asking for trouble. Asking for a season low offensive output. You go from the #2 team in the league in assists with a Rondo/Boogie/Jrue trio of passers where Jrue might be the 3rd best passer in the lineup, to a Jrue trying to run the team all by himself set with no other creaters at all and a guy who doesn't have to be guarded in Liggins. It's just asking for trouble. You got 4 total assists out of a starting lineup that a few weeks ago might get 20.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 02-09-2018 at 09:29 PM.

All I know is AD doesn't belong in the upper echelon class. He constantly gets destroyed by other bigs in the league. Pekovic used to own him. Boogie used up own him during his Sacramento days. KAT owns him. And now Embiid. People who say AD is a top 3, hell even a top 5 player in this league are nuts. He's never developed a dominant post game, and, as DefensiveMind pointed out, his defense has severely suffered since Monty left.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    All I know is AD doesn't belong in the upper echelon class. He constantly gets destroyed by other bigs in the league. Pekovic used to own him. Boogie used up own him during his Sacramento days. KAT owns him. And now Embiid. People who say AD is a top 3, hell even a top 5 player in this league are nuts. He's never developed a dominant post game, and, as DefensiveMind pointed out, his defense has severely suffered since Monty left.
    Sadly, you’re spot on. I just hate to admit it

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    You can be really mad but saying KAT owns AD is crazy considering AD has literally had great games every game vs the Wolves since KAT has been there. AD is still a top 5 player he just doesn’t have any interest right now and I don’t blame him

Firing Monty and brining in Gentry was the worst decision this team has ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Firing Monty and brining in Gentry was the worst decision this team has ever made.
    You wouldn't have said that when we were 5 games over .500 and beating Houston by 25 points

Those were the days *sniff*
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-10-2018 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert123 View Post
    You can be really mad but saying KAT owns AD is crazy considering AD has literally had great games every game vs the Wolves since KAT has been there. AD is still a top 5 player he just doesn’t have any interest right now and I don’t blame him
    You don’t blame him? That is the stupidest thing ever. We were a 6th seed in the west when Cousins went down. Now we are falling out of the playoffs. Where is the next man up mentality? Did the Spurs fall completely apart after Leonard went out? You have to blame everyone. It is not just Gentry, AD, Demps, or Jrue fault. It is everyones fault. John Wall gets hurt and the Wizards can still win some games by team effort. It goes on and on. I have a feeling if Cousins does not resign then AD requests a trade which really sucks.

#FireGentry

#threadsthatdontagewell

Fans gonna fan really. Overreacting is in our DNA

Lol to be fair to those fans, the 6ers game was rough and possibly the lowest point of the season

Also just thought I’d comment on the highlight reel of AD against the Spurs, Ryno < Niko, Mek is slightly better than Asik, Jrue now >> Jrue then, and I would take Reke, EG, and QPon (pre-injury QPon) individually over any current guard on our roster. My point is that team had more talented guys (would be different if we had Solo and Boogie in the court) vs a few really good guys shouldering the entire load

Can you imagine when Boogie & Solo comes back if we also had Gordon or Reke? I legitimately think we’d push the Rockets and Warriors in a series

This isn't some revisionist history. AD DID suck and was playing worse than a Robin at the time. Then he got his head on straight and started playing like a MVP while being the leader of this team, the thing everyone wanted him to do.

AD SHOULD be called out when he sucks and plays bad. Just as he is getting heaps of praise now.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    this board.... lol

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I really dislike the whole Robin thing. Because depending on which Robin you're....

No. I'm done talking comic books for one lifetime.

The Franchise
    Can’t get too excited. They beat a lot of teams they should have beat. The good is they actually beat em which wasn’t the case before. I’d still like to see a buyout if they ever do. Teams aren’t buying out players like before or at least it doesn’t seem like it.

Thread Information