Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Let's throw names out there to improve the roster

I think that it was me that said that Hood would be hard to trade for last year. I still think that he would be hard to get given our assets, but he is a FA, so you are looking at a rental. With the emergence of ROY Donavan Mitchell, I can see the Jazz being more willing to move Hood, but the price would have to be worth it. The Jazz are going to have a lot of open spots this offseason, and plenty of cash to blow, and with them building around Mitchell and Gobert Hood is their 6th man, and a fairly decent one at that, but he still has value, and teams don't just give up valuable players for chicken scratch.

That said, here is the opinion of Jazz fans on Hood, and if he is worth reading or not. Fun stuff.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...f=33&t=1655876
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Spencer Hawes, justin hamilton, lavoy allen are all better options than diallo/asik/ajinca at best available back up bigs

monta ellis would be a nice get if available to get
    Last edited by wnelson; 01-24-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I think that it was me that said that Hood would be hard to trade for last year. I still think that he would be hard to get given our assets, but he is a FA, so you are looking at a rental. With the emergence of ROY Donavan Mitchell, I can see the Jazz being more willing to move Hood, but the price would have to be worth it. The Jazz are going to have a lot of open spots this offseason, and plenty of cash to blow, and with them building around Mitchell and Gobert Hood is their 6th man, and a fairly decent one at that, but he still has value, and teams don't just give up valuable players for chicken scratch.

That said, here is the opinion of Jazz fans on Hood, and if he is worth reading or not. Fun stuff.

No it definitely wasn't you. I do remember you saying it would be tough to get him and something else.. but an unfamiliar name was going off how no way it would ever happen and blah blah.. I actually pay attention to the Jazz and stated that with Mitchell and Ingles taking the starting roles along with Burks and Johnson on the bench that's Hood was an obvious trade candidate. He's a FA after next season and his value will never be higher then it is now. I was told basically how stupid I was and a team would never move a young player who is good lol.. cause surely it has never happened before.. anyways it wasn't you haha.

Yeah, I said the same thing. But the emergence of Mitchell I think has changed things and proven me wrong. They looked completely desperate for scoring, and Hood was all they had. Now they have a young star who looks much more dependable, and Hood's constant string of injuries and problems can be used as trade bait for the future. Rumor is they want Mirotic up front in place of Favors, and that makes sense. They desperately need some frontcourt range/offensive talent to put next to Gobert. Not at all sure Chicago needs Hood though with all those bodies they have and LaVine back to go with Dunn.

Yea the inconsistency and free agent status makes me want to look elsewhere. Miller gives us a lot of what he does on a bargain contract. Here's a Jazz fan's opinion, and it seems like many others agree. And remember, they've watched him for years there:

"Hood ... oh, he should go. That was easy.

Alec, Mitchell, Ingles, O'Neale and co. can make up for anything he does, and then some. Yes, I love it when he gets hot, but it doesn't balance with the nights like vs the Pelicans yesterday (1-10 FG + 4 TO's) where he can't hit a shot to save his life, but doesn't do anything else to balance it out. He's only mediocre on D, allergic to contact, and has no interest in going to the basket. Also, the injuries are simply too much to endure. Trade him for whatever you can get for him. Best case scenario, he is moved as part of a bigger deal (Rubio? Favs?) and brings back a player or asset that will play 70+ games & be more consistent.

That may sound harsh, and I don't mean it to be that way. I don't dislike Hood, I just don't want to see the team re-sign him to a $15m+, multi-year deal, when there have to be better ways to spend that money. If he was a $9-10m guy, then he's worth the risk of keeping as a unidimensional bench scorer.

... I mean, he's essentially a Nick Young-type (without the stupid nickname). Young makes $6m and plays about 20 minutes a game, but when he gets hot, you play him a bunch and ride the hot hand. When he's not hot, he sits, cause there's no other reason to play him."

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Yeah, I said the same thing. But the emergence of Mitchell I think has changed things and proven me wrong. They looked completely desperate for scoring, and Hood was all they had. Now they have a young star who looks much more dependable, and Hood's constant string of injuries and problems can be used as trade bait for the future. Rumor is they want Mirotic up front in place of Favors, and that makes sense. They desperately need some frontcourt range/offensive talent to put next to Gobert. Not at all sure Chicago needs Hood though with all those bodies they have and LaVine back to go with Dunn.
    The emergence of Mitchell had already happened. Hood was on the bench which is why I mentioned trading for him and believed he was no doubt on the market. They have Burks locked up who is a very good player along with Mitchel and Ingles for cheap. Obviously he isn't in the future plans when he will need to be paid in a year and want a bigger role. Now other teams might have more to give or provide a piece the Jazz want that we can't. The Jazz are in sell mode and we have the pieces to possibly get it done. Diallo is still a very young player who is no different then drafting a 1st rounder next season except for years left under contract. Jackson hasn't played but is still a young asset on a good contract m. Plus we have all of our draft picks. This kid is worth it imo and I would go all in on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea the inconsistency and free agent status makes me want to look elsewhere. Miller gives us a lot of what he does on a bargain contract. Here's a Jazz fan's opinion, and it seems like many others agree. And remember, they've watched him for years there:
    If these Jazz fans are so right then why in the world would he get some huge contract? I have been following him since Duke and often watch the Jazz on league pass. Looks like a fan who has seen Mitchell explode on the scene while Hood went to the bench and has some in the moment amnesia. Hood has been a very solid defender in his career while being a knock down 3 point shooter. Reminds me of Otto Porter in Washington and imo here he would flourish in a role on the wing. He's going to get paid for a reason and we will find out after a season if he is worth giving that $ to. No other young player out there with his talent at that position we can realistically get.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    If these Jazz fans are so right then why in the world would he get some huge contract? I have been following him since Duke and often watch the Jazz on league pass. Looks like a fan who has seen Mitchell explode on the scene while Hood went to the bench and has some in the moment amnesia. Hood has been a very solid defender in his career while being a knock down 3 point shooter. Reminds me of Otto Porter in Washington and imo here he would flourish in a role on the wing. He's going to get paid for a reason and we will find out after a season if he is worth giving that $ to. No other young player out there with his talent at that position we can realistically get.
    Fair enough, I guess we'll see. You have to admit, he does seem to have some consistency issues, though. Having huge 20+ games then following them with really poor shooting games. I'd def root for him if we got him and find a way to be optimistic about his potential, though. He's also originally from nearby Mississippi.

--Jordan Clarkson has been playing lights-out lately. If the Lakers are serious about having double max cap room, a three team trade sending out Asik + 1st to a team like Chicago, with Clarkson coming to the Pels, and minor asset going to Lakers could work. But they might want to keep him now since he's been playing so well. Could be a good fit as another playmaker/shotmaker-off-the-dribble guard to take some pressure off Jrue back there.

The emergence of Mitchell had already happened. Hood was on the bench which is why I mentioned trading for him and believed he was no doubt on the market. They have Burks locked up who is a very good player along with Mitchel and Ingles for cheap. Obviously he isn't in the future plans when he will need to be paid in a year and want a bigger role. Now other teams might have more to give or provide a piece the Jazz want that we can't. The Jazz are in sell mode and we have the pieces to possibly get it done. Diallo is still a very young player who is no different then drafting a 1st rounder next season except for years left under contract. Jackson hasn't played but is still a young asset on a good contract m. Plus we have all of our draft picks. This kid is worth it imo and I would go all in on him.
    Yeah, but the emergence of Mitchell was about 2 weeks old at the time -- not exactly something you transform the whole franchise around yet, especially while they still had serious playoff aspirations. Now, however, its pretty obvious the future is Gobert/Mitchell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    --Jordan Clarkson has been playing lights-out lately. If the Lakers are serious about having double max cap room, a three team trade sending out Asik + 1st to a team like Chicago, with Clarkson coming to the Pels, and minor asset going to Lakers could work. But they might want to keep him now since he's been playing so well. Could be a good fit as another playmaker/shotmaker-off-the-dribble guard to take some pressure off Jrue back there.
    Yea I would love to get Clarkson. Kid would be a great fit here being able to play next to Jrue while also giving us a solid distributor and scorer for the bench. If we can somehow get Randle in the deal we would be a completely different team. I promise you nobody would want to see our team in the 1st round.

DeMarre Carroll is name HoopHype has floated around that the Pels might be interested in aquiring.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    we would almost do better cutting ajinca and asik and getting 2 vet minimum guys....
    After what Asik did last night? How dare you good sir, how dare you!

Quote Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
    DeMarre Carroll is name HoopHype has floated around that the Pels might be interested in aquiring.
    Would not want unless Dinwiddie were attached.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Would not want unless Dinwiddie were attached.
    What if Harris was attached?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    What if Harris was attached?
    You know, I just got done listening to the Dunc’d on podcast where they get a bunch of people take on the role of GM for every team, and one of the few trades they could get to the finish line was Carroll/Harris for Asik/Ajinca plus a protected first rounder.

I think it was Marc Stein that also wrote we have contacted the Nets about Carroll. Along with Detroit.

Which tells me a few things, including their skepticism about Hill fitting in well I would assume. So there is definitely smoke on this front.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    You know, I just got done listening to the Dunc’d on podcast where they get a bunch of people take on the role of GM for every team, and one of the few trades they could get to the finish line was Carroll/Harris for Asik/Ajinca plus a protected first rounder.

I think it was Marc Stein that also wrote we have contacted the Nets about Carroll. Along with Detroit.

Which tells me a few things, including their skepticism about Hill fitting in well I would assume. So there is definitely smoke on this front.
    I think it's been known for awhile that the Pels have been interested in Carroll so it makes sense that they had a trade around that. The one tweak to the trade is we would definitely need to send out 1 more player (probably Cunningham) to clear a roster spot to bring in a backup center (Bogut or even DMo).

As far as how they feel about Hill, I'm not sure. I could see them wanting insurance for this season and then we have Carroll expiring next year. I could also see the idea of playing them together (in a defensive lineup). Carroll has gotten most of his minutes at PF this season.

Adding Harris gives us another shooting threat for this season too.

You could definitely play them together in a way that you could see being very effective in a playoff series against small ball lineups.

Using Jrue/Moore/Hill/Carroll and AD. It would be that neutralizing type lineup OKC had against GS in their last matchup.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-25-2018 at 10:42 AM.

I’ll also say this, there has been a lot of speculation from people like MM about getting Spencer Dinwiddie.

I am really skeptical that he can be had. Even for the proposed two firsts along with Carroll and Zeller he proposed. Along the lines of what others have been saying.

I hope I am wrong because he would be perfect for this team. Absolutely perfect. But that’s the problem, he’s young, can share the back court with a combo guard like Jrue(or Russell), can guard multiple positions, is cheap, and narrowly fits their time schedule.

Maybe a package for two first rounders persuades them, but I think that’s aiming too high.

... I so want to be wrong about this though.

Chris Bosh

What about Jason Smith? Seems like a perfect fit here and wouldn't be wasted by Gentry with his skill set. Would be a very solid 3rd/4th big for us. His game compliments AD, Mirotic, and Diallo all very well. Plays good defense while being able to space the floor and can play those minutes at center we are looking for. Should be able to keep him healthy not needing heavy minutes from him.

What about Jason Smith? Seems like a perfect fit here and wouldn't be wasted by Gentry with his skill set. Would be a very solid 3rd/4th big for us. His game compliments AD, Mirotic, and Diallo all very well. Plays good defense while being able to space the floor and can play those minutes at center we are looking for. Should be able to keep him healthy not needing heavy minutes from him.
    I'd pay him just for a few more cannonball's, bring on the rockets!!

What's the deal with Smitty, just out of the rotation in Washington?

Why do we keep on trying to improve the roster when the obvious issues are coaching and general management?
    There are teams winning with a lot less talent then the Pelicans have.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    What's the deal with Smitty, just out of the rotation in Washington?
    he was always kinda backup, or backup's backup
    Gortat and Mahinmi eat most of the C minutes. Kieff and Scott most of PF minutes.

He has career low in minutes and FG%

he earns 5.25 millions this year and 5.45 millions (player option) for next

he is Ajinca for them. but at least he is healthy
    they would love to shed his salary - maybe two seconds would make it work.

but their 2019 and 2021 seconds are gone. 2020 probably remains with them (top 55 protected)

Because of the cap issues I wont probably trade Ajinca and second rounder for Smitty

Thread Information