Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: We need a POINT GUARD!!

Exactly who were we supposed to have as a backup PG and with what money? It's not like we could have had Kemba as the backup just incase of injury.

Frazier is a backup PG who would be ok in a limited role. The problem is he hasn't had a limited role due to injuries.

Who do the Warriors have if Curry gets injured or Durant?

Most teams around the league cannot survive injuries to their starters.

The Franchise
    Jrue is Good guard and I love him. I will always defend him and not bash him half the time to be equal. I think the only issue with Jrue is he’s trying to do too much and that’s when turnovers and such happen. A good SF with offense and defense ability’s will allow him to facilitate better. Beal would also be an awesome backcourt player with him. There isn’t many Pgs that can do everything and if they can we probably aren’t gonna be able to trade for him. Let’s focus on surrounding him and Davis with talented shooters and defenders. If you give them that and they still fail then I’ll bash him with y’all.

To be fair Dell did try to address this issue before the season as it was said they wanted to bring back Rondo even after Payton signed. I think they are aware of the issue but we just missed out with the Lakers outbidding us for Rondo. At that point, there wasn't anyone left. The also brought in the corpse of Jarrett Jack but that didn't work out either.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Exactly who were we supposed to have as a backup PG and with what money? It's not like we could have had Kemba as the backup just incase of injury.

Frazier is a backup PG who would be ok in a limited role. The problem is he hasn't had a limited role due to injuries.

This was 2015 I was stating this as a problem. Are we taking the stance that it wasn’t possible? Tim Frazier is not an NBA player. I’m not asking for Chris Paul here. Just NBA point guards.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    This was 2015 I was stating this as a problem. Are we taking the stance that it wasn’t possible? Tim Frazier is not an NBA player. I’m not asking for Chris Paul here. Just NBA point guards.
    Problem is, quality players are not so easily acquired. Think we can just grab Jeremy Lin with incredible ease? I don't. Same goes for Ricky Rubio.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Problem is, quality players are not so easily acquired. Think we can just grab Jeremy Lin with incredible ease? I don't. Same goes for Ricky Rubio.
    I mean honestly we could of had both at various points but we went in other directions.

On a side note I feel pretty good about my prognostications and analysis from 2015. It holds up pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    In 2015 we had on the roster at one point or another: Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, Norris Cole, Ish Smith, and Tim Frazier. That's 4 PGs and at the time it was still believed Jrue was mainly a PG and spent most of the time there.

Yet again though, that was a season where our main PG was injured. Like I stated before, how many teams survive injuries to their starting players? Teams rarely are lucky enough to have multiple starter level players at the same position. The Pels have exactly 3 starter level bigs on their team and it's viewed as one of the best front courts in the entire league... With 3 starter level players between 2 positions.

So again, I ask you how we're the Pelicans supposed to address this issue this summer with our cap at the time that would have satisfied you?

What if I told you there was a 6'7" player who can play 1-3 out there who shoots efficiently, takes care of the ball, can play offball or on, and gives effort on defense while being a great facilitator?

That players name: Tomas Satoransky.

We dont need a star point guard, we need a high IQ player who can shoot, defend and function as a secondary playmaker. This teams problem is depth for like what feels like the 100th straight year. Its a shame the clippers matched Wallace because that archetype of versatile perimeter player who plays hard is what the pelicans need

Napier signed for the min, i think, he would have been an improvement over Frazier. Yogi didnt sign for much, IT turned us down, none are great defenders but an improvement in play over Clark, tim probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Napier signed for the min, i think, he would have been an improvement over Frazier. Yogi didnt sign for much, IT turned us down, none are great defenders but an improvement in play over Clark, tim probably.
    We went after Yogi. He signed a 2yr/5.3m deal that we couldn't match.

Napier is better than Frazier? Have you seen his numbers this year? 7.9/1.7/1.5
    He is not a PG like we need. He doesn't facilitate for others at all. He's yet another in a long list of combo guards (in his case undersized) that wouldn't help.

So I ask yet again, Who could we have signed with our cap numbers that people wouldn't be complaining about?

What if I told you there was a 6'7" player who can play 1-3 out there who shoots efficiently, takes care of the ball, can play offball or on, and gives effort on defense while being a great facilitator?

We dont need a star point guard, we need a high IQ player who can shoot, defend and function as a secondary playmaker. This teams problem is depth for like what feels like the 100th straight year. Its a shame the clippers matched Wallace because that archetype of versatile perimeter player who plays hard is what the pelicans need
    Yep, Dell should just go to Washington and tell them they have to give us Sato for nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroFire View Post
    I posted this trade and got killed for it. Apparently some have stock in Jrue but Wall is better and is for sale. Sometimes you got to let go on things you like if you want to improve.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yc7kcal9
    I would not trade Jrue for Wall ever. We can get someone alot cheaper than Wall that will give us just as good of production, and not at 40 million a year.

Besides, theres rumors circulating that LA has offered Ball and one of Ingram or Kuzma for Wall

The Franchise

Thought you were gonna say Korkzma and could be cheaper too.

Reasons we DON'T need a PG:

1) I woke up in a very contrary mood.

You make Satoransky sound like a star player. He is a good backup, part-time starter if needed. He is a pretty good facilitator, not great and his defense is inconsistent. I would certainly take him on the Pels, but not sure how they acquire him.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Besides, theres rumors circulating that LA has offered Ball and one of Ingram or Kuzma for Wall
    I have read that Ball and Pope were offered, not that Ball and Ingram or Kuzma were offered. If that were the case, I would think Washington management would have flown Wall to LA and personally delivered him gift wrapped.

The beauty of this all is we have a team with scorers across the floor when fully healthy. If we continue to move the ball and avoid the braindead ball-stopping offense featuring Jrue Holiday, we’ll be fine. We have to hold steady until Payton is back.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar

People are moving.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I have read that Ball and Pope were offered, not that Ball and Ingram or Kuzma were offered. If that were the case, I would think Washington management would have flown Wall to LA and personally delivered him gift wrapped.
    Well KCP is going to have to be in the trade for a salary filler and he cant be traded until the 15th, so probably why nothing has been done yet.

Just heard on NBA radio pels are showing interest in JR Smith. Please god no

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

People are moving.
    that's a lot to send for an over the hill player no pun intended

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Just heard on NBA radio pels are showing interest in JR Smith. Please god no
    Only way I'd want smith is if deal included hood in exchange for hill and wes, even swap But still want us to trade our guys plus a pick for lopez and holiday
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 12-07-2018 at 05:53 PM.

The Franchise
    I’m not fired up about JR, now if we were flipping him maybe. Hood would be nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    that's a lot to send for an over the hill player no pun intended

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Theyre getting out of about 19million in salary next season.

We went after Yogi. He signed a 2yr/5.3m deal that we couldn't match.

Napier is better than Frazier? Have you seen his numbers this year? 7.9/1.7/1.5
    He is not a PG like we need. He doesn't facilitate for others at all. He's yet another in a long list of combo guards (in his case undersized) that wouldn't help.

So I ask yet again, Who could we have signed with our cap numbers that people wouldn't be complaining about?
    Napier is better than Frazier to be sure. Sure he's not a facilitator, but he's also not a guy who struggles to make NBA rosters. Im also not sure why we didnt get our hands on Garrett Temple. Sac seems uninterested in the players they got back in that deal. I get that there are 29 other teams and they all want rotation guys for nothing, but you're being naive to pretend we didnt miss opportunities. Rose also a guy who went for the min
    Last edited by Pelifan; 12-07-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Thread Information