Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: December 7th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Memphis Grizzlies - 13-13

Pelicans December 7th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Memphis Grizzlies - 13-13

Back at home, taking on the Memphis Grizzlies to try and get back above .500! Currently 14-9, the Grizzlies have surprised a lot of people so far this year by being actually quite good, rather than apocalyptically bad like last year. They only need to win 9 more games this entire season to have a better finishing record than last year, if that illustrates the size of the jump they've made. Part of that is having Mike Conley back, but their rookie Jaren Jackson Jr has also been extremely good for them. Let's look at the team overall:

Offensive Rating: 24th
    Defensive Rating: 5th
    Rebounds per game: 30th
    Assists per game: 21st
    Steals per game: 8th
    Blocks per game: 13th
    2pt percentage: 22nd
    3pt percentage: 7th

It's pretty clear from that what sort of team they are. If 3 and D was a team, it would be Memphis. They don't take a million threes a game, but they hit them, and they defend brilliantly. However, there are some obvious holes in their game to exploit. Firstly, their offense is not good. In fact, in terms of ranking in the league, their offense is as poor as our defense has been (both 24th in their respective categories). If we play even mediocre defense tonight, we should be capable of freezing their offense up without too much issue. Secondly, they cannot rebound. Their leading rebounder is the ancient Marc Gasol, followed by JaMychal Green and Kyle Anderson. Nobody is averaging double digit rebounds for them, and only those three players are averaging at least 5 boards a game.

Who are their key guys? One: Mike Conley. Conley is averaging basically 21/4/7 this season, and playing good solid defense, and most importantly, is not prone to mistakes. He doesn't turn it over a lot (in fact, Memphis as a team are ranked 2nd in the league with only 12 turnovers per game), and he doesn't really foul much either. Nothing he does is impressive, but he has no glaring weaknesses. He is, however, having a poor season for efficiency. Shooting only 42/35/81 splits, he can be stopped by a gritty defender. Good thing we have Jrue then, who might find Conley difficult to score on with as much ease as other guards, but who he should be able to the long, long list of guards he has locked up.

Next up is their ol' reliable, Marc Gasol. Averaging 17/9/4 on 45/39/71 splits, he's a little more efficient than Conley right now and can really shoot it from deep. Again, not turnover prone, but Gasol is slightly more likely to foul, averaging basically 3 a game. Other than that, I think everyone knows him as a player: he defends well, although he probably didn't deserve his DPOY and he's only regressed since then, but he's a reliable player for them and isn't likely to make mistakes.

Finally, of their players, I think the third one to watch is their rookie, Jaren Jackson Jr. He's averaging around 14/4/1, but is leading their team in field goal percentage by converting on 51% of his shots. Along with that, he's really their rim protector, averaging 2 rejections per game; this does have it's downside, as he's also averaging 4 fouls per game and is a little jump-happy. Much the same way that AD was earlier in his career, in fact.

The solutions look clear: they can't score well, so don't let them get easy opportunities. Play solid defense, and try and match their low turnovers: since they won't beat themselves, you can't afford to either. Run the offense hard and make sure to make smart passes, as they play the passing lanes well, but focus on crashing the offensive boards because they cannot really rebound well. With our big man trio, points in the paint and offensive rebounds should be easy wins tonight. Add their age to the fact that they play the league's slowest pace, we should be able to run them off the floor if we play hard.

Let's get above .500, #DoItBig.
    Basketball.

Can the game video broadcast be picked up on my smartphone ? I have cox connect, or on a link like reddit using cellular data? I'm working an overnight in my car. Or, just radio ? Thanks
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    Can the game video broadcast be picked up on my smartphone ? I have cox connect, or on a link like reddit using cellular data? I'm working an overnight in my car. Or, just radio ? Thanks
    I know that you can find streams on reddit that you can watch on mobile, with data. Obviously it depends how good your signal is, but NBA streams on reddit do indicate which links are mobile friendly. I used to watch the streams on my phone before I got League Pass.

thanks, Pelicanidae

Kyle Anderson is one of the players in the league I hate most, for completely irrational reasons.

Jrue just held Gasol to nothing... in the low post.

FIRST. TEAM. ALL. DEFENSE.

RANDLE TO AD FOR THE BIG OOP!

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    If you have cox, and Fox Sports New Orleans is a channel you catch with your plan,
    you can download the Fox Sports app and watch it there. You just need your cox login
    credentials.

Unfortunate matchup with Randle there for JJJ. Already mistake prone and being put on someone so aggressive is a recipe for getting in foul trouble.

AD swats Conley BIG

Jrue just got knocked around like a pinball, no call.

Fine, I don't wanna see us get called for ANYTHING either.

If AD got given the calls Randle is getting right now, he'd average 15 FTAs a game

Some strong interior defense at the moment but the perimeter is just WIDE open.

we look like a young tanking team defensively.

Jrue got that steal clean compared to the defense Memphis has been playing, bad call.

One thing I don't like is that we're feeding the hot hand to the exclusion of our usual defense.

Randle has been GREAT recently, but not great enough to warrant getting more shots in the first quarter than AD and Jrue combined.

Giving up 31 in a quarter to Memphis is not a good look.

Push them hard Guys! They don't want to play fast pace basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Giving up 31 in a quarter to Memphis is not a good look.
    true but getting 30 is

this team looks pathetic at times.

Terrible turnovers and defence. Jesus Christ

man Adam Silver is one creepy looking dude

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

''There's really no other place like this, in the world.'' - Adam Silver, on New Orleans.

Nice

why the hell does Noah scream every time he dunks jesus

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Wtf are they doing out there?

Thread Information