Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: We need a POINT GUARD!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar

We need a POINT GUARD!! (Two years ago)

The truth of the matter is we do not have a true point guard. Jrue was a SG in college, and Tyreke is Tyreke. The point guard position in the NBA is like a QB in the NFL. And we don't have one. Ish Smith is a borderline NBA player, but he looks like a Messiah because he's an actual point guard. I remember when the Saints got Kerry Collins and everyone was amazed by his spiral passes. We weren't used to seeing spirals. It's just sad.

The effort and energy is not there because no one is setting the pace. A good point guard controls the flow of the game.

I don't care who it is or how you do it, but get a bonafide NBA starting Pg. Get one of those, and we will quickly realize we have a lot of talented guys on this team. Don't get one and we will continue to flounder and yell about coaching, effort, one dimensional players, etc etc.

I am very uneasy about his injuries, but Ricky Rubio is one of the first to come to mind.
    Last edited by Spaniard; 10-19-2017 at 08:07 AM.

I would love to somehow get Mike Conley but I don't know how realistic that is.

Well, we could have Elfrid Payton but Dell decided to trade 17 1st round picks for Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Well, we could have Elfrid Payton but Dell decided to trade 17 1st round picks for Jrue.
    Elfrid Payton has not played like a starting NBA PG. Not sure he would be an answer and Jrue is a better player.

I'm fine with a healthy jrue as our PG. We need to upgrade SF and C

Jrue can no doubt be our PG especially with the right guys around him. He was an all star PG when he was barely legal to drink. Jrue coming back healthy with a full summer to work on his game instead of rehabbing I have no doubt in my mind he can be everything we need there. With Jrue we definitely have more needs then PG. We need an athletic SG who can hit shots, get to the rim, play great defense, and at times create for others along with Jrue. My option for our future SG would be Oladipo and I think his skill set alongside Holiday perfectly fits together. To me SF is the most important position for us to hit on. We either need to land one at the top of the draft or sign Batum/Barnes. We need an all around SF who can play great D, rebound, and hit the 3. He needs to have high BBall IQ and be able to take over at times. If Jrue stays healthy then are biggest position of need is absolutely SF and I have no doubt we will solve that issue. I could roll with QPon at SG if we had the right SF so we need to hit on that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    LoL you can't be serious with Payton? He isn't even close to being on the same level as Jrue. Can he improve and has the potential to be better? Yes he can but as of now he has shown no signs of being anything more then an average PG. Jrue has been an all star and when healthy has all of the ability to be that again while he has been showing signs lately of being that player. People aren't realizing how his injury missing so much time working out and playing basketball will hurt your game in the short term. He's finally getting his legs under him and knocking off the rust. Once the minute restriction is lifted and he continues to get time on his legs you will see why Payton doesn't compare. You also want to get rid of AD so that's that..

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    LoL you can't be serious with Payton? He isn't even close to being on the same level as Jrue. Can he improve and has the potential to be better? Yes he can but as of now he has shown no signs of being anything more then an average PG. Jrue has been an all star and when healthy has all of the ability to be that again while he has been showing signs lately of being that player. People aren't realizing how his injury missing so much time working out and playing basketball will hurt your game in the short term. He's finally getting his legs under him and knocking off the rust. Once the minute restriction is lifted and he continues to get time on his legs you will see why Payton doesn't compare. You also want to get rid of AD so that's that..
    Well Noel for Jrue and Payton as back up PG would have been ideal.

noel has been down right awful this year, like austin rivers bad.

One guy I really hope we go after this off season is marvin williams. He's been a tremendous stretch 4 for the hornets this season. Great 3 ball, while being a good rebounder and very good defender. Smart player too.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    noel has been down right awful this year, like austin rivers bad.
    I would love to buy low on him.

They are trying to force him into the PF role because of Okafor and it just isnt going to work. Last year players shot 44% around the rim with him guarding the rim. Elite category. This year it is 52%. He is out of position.

He is a small ball defensive 5 that will be a clean up guy and be a drop off player around the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Elfrid Payton has not played like a starting NBA PG. Not sure he would be an answer and Jrue is a better player.

No, he hasn't. But few would say that he isn't going to be better than your average point guard. His skill set aligns with some pretty serious players. He's a true PG, tall and long for his position and can get by anyone

Holiday and Evans are point guards but in Gentry's scheme, they don't fit. They play more like Westbrook than Nash. Ish is the best fit under Gentry though he is not close to being the best player.
    This team has too many ball stoppers including Anderson and Davis. Secondly there is no interior defense. The Pels have lots of talented individuals that aren't team players.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    As soon as I saw this thread, I bet myself how long before you came "to Jrue's rescue".

Seriously man, do yourself a favor. Go back through one day's (or if you dare one week's) worth of post and try to realize how much of your time you are spending defending this guy.

Then after you realize that the answer is a lot of time. Try to think about what Jrue has ever ACTUALLY DONE for this franchise. Or frankly his entire career. He did have one quality year --- the year we got BAMBOOZLED for him. The rest of his career is average OR BELOW AVERAGE. This is not my opinion. Look at his stats and PER and then compare this to his peers.

You need to stop pushing this agenda. You had a lot of support before the season. Jrue's actual play has thinned the heard quite a bit, yet you keep banging that drum.

Jrue looks like the best fit off of the bench. He is not a pass first PG. He is doing well against other backup PGs and that is where he should stay. IMO of course. Jrue is a good basketball player. But he has never shown to be anything but that. I have no idea why he has been so over valued by this fan base from the get go. I am very concerned about his fit with the system.... his pace...... HOWEVER, I will credit Jrue last night, he was actually running and pushing the pace. This guy shows flashes and then follows with bonehead plays. Honestly he makes as many poor decisions as Evans. He is also not very good at running a 2v1 or 3v2 break - a clear sign he was not a PG growing up.

In summation, I agree with the OP. I think we need a PG. I thought Evans would solve it, but we tried to cross guard Thomas with EG and he was getting lit up. Still, Reke isn't even 100% yet, is playing pretty well, and will certainly get better with more time with his teammates, in the system, and recovering from his knee injury.

Let me be very clear, I think Jrue is a very very good player. If fully healthy, I think he is our best perimeter defender and second best overall player. I just think his slow, plodding approach, and his lack for what I would call a natural feel causes this team to reflect that everywhere else on the court. When we bring the pace down offensively, we tend to bring our intensity level down on the defensive side as well. We need a tone setter. Ish sets a great tone, he just isn't talented enough and is a real liability on the defensive end.

On the opposite side, you saw it with Isaiah Thomas. He would grab the boards and sprint down court. The players have no choice but to run with him.

I don't really have the solution, but this is a major major part of the problem that is not getting enough discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    As soon as I saw this thread, I bet myself how long before you came "to Jrue's rescue".

Seriously man, do yourself a favor. Go back through one day's (or if you dare one week's) worth of post and try to realize how much of your time you are spending defending this guy.

Then after you realize that the answer is a lot of time. Try to think about what Jrue has ever ACTUALLY DONE for this franchise. Or frankly his entire career. He did have one quality year --- the year we got BAMBOOZLED for him. The rest of his career is average OR BELOW AVERAGE. This is not my opinion. Look at his stats and PER and then compare this to his peers.

You need to stop pushing this agenda. You had a lot of support before the season. Jrue's actual play has thinned the heard quite a bit, yet you keep banging that drum.

Jrue looks like the best fit off of the bench. He is not a pass first PG. He is doing well against other backup PGs and that is where he should stay. IMO of course. Jrue is a good basketball player. But he has never shown to be anything but that. I have no idea why he has been so over valued by this fan base from the get go. I am very concerned about his fit with the system.... his pace...... HOWEVER, I will credit Jrue last night, he was actually running and pushing the pace. This guy shows flashes and then follows with bonehead plays. Honestly he makes as many poor decisions as Evans. He is also not very good at running a 2v1 or 3v2 break - a clear sign he was not a PG growing up.

In summation, I agree with the OP. I think we need a PG. I thought Evans would solve it, but we tried to cross guard Thomas with EG and he was getting lit up. Still, Reke isn't even 100% yet, is playing pretty well, and will certainly get better with more time with his teammates, in the system, and recovering from his knee injury.
    Jrue is a PG without a clear identity and consistency problems. Both as a scorer and a passer.

Evans up to this point is a PG that can't guard most PG's and by all accounts has the mentality of a combo guard without the jumper or the FTA's.

So far neither have been an ideal fit in Gentry's offense.

It is unfortunate so many injuries happened because it would of been nice to get a better feel for both with adequate time and minutes before the Dec 15 trade period kicks off.

With that said if the right deal is out there I wouldn't be opposed. With that also said I am not sure I trust Demps to know what the right deal is.

I wonder what it would take to get Dennis Schroder? I am from New Orleans but live in Atlanta. I have seen a lot of him and I think he could be a really great starting point guard for our team. I wonder if Atlanta would be willing to move him if they thought they could get more pieces back to get them past Cleveland. Maybe someone like Cunningham the Lebron stopper and Ryno. Or Cunningham/Cole and other small pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do wish people would cease to phrase titles of threads in such a dramatic clickbaitey way. It sours me to such a point that even if the starting post is actually reasonable I tend to view it in a bad light because of the utterly annoying thread title, if I actually decide to click on it in the first place.

I'm not sure rubio would help us much, not with the current roster anyway. I also am not sure what exactly is a pg in your eyes at this point. The head never had one, they had no trouble winning. Parker hardly is the kind of point guard that controls the flow of the game in the way you mean, yet the spurs have had no problems winning anyway. Paul is that kind of point guard and he's won jack******** over all of his career. Same as nash, for that matter. And rubio is definitely more similar to these last two (and especially ish) than he is to irving or curry or parker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    I do wish people would cease to phrase titles of threads in such a dramatic clickbaitey way. It sours me to such a point that even if the starting post is actually reasonable I tend to view it in a bad light because of the utterly annoying thread title, if I actually decide to click on it in the first place.

I'm not sure rubio would help us much, not with the current roster anyway. I also am not sure what exactly is a pg in your eyes at this point. The head never had one, they had no trouble winning. Parker hardly is the kind of point guard that controls the flow of the game in the way you mean, yet the spurs have had no problems winning anyway. Paul is that kind of point guard and he's won jack******** over all of his career. Same as nash, for that matter. And rubio is definitely more similar to these last two (and especially ish) than he is to irving or curry or parker.
    I think it goes to show that there has to be the right marriage of player, system, and supporting cast.

Parker is perfect in their system because it is tailor made for him. I mean Pop said as much after Duncan was on the decline and they changed directions. It is in a transition again but for a while it was Parker's tailor-made system.

The Heat had Lebron. He was their PG. He likes to have control of the ball with guys that can spot up and also outlet to him on the break and occasionally play make and distribute.

What Gentry has seemed to favor are smart, selfless, efficient passing but offensively capable guards with diverse scoring skill sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post

Haha, point taken on thread title. Though the point of a title is to get people to click it.

And the Heat had Lebron James as their point guard. My definition of a point guard is not some 6 foot tall, pass first and only player. The idea of positions in the NBA are becoming more and more non-existent. But every team needs that guy that runs the offense and sets the pace. Sure, we have guys that do it, technically. But not well. THAT is what we really need.

Tony Parker is EXACTLY that. He sprints up and down the court, he drives to and around the rim, breaking down the defense and forcing his teammates to be ready and willing at all times.

In the most simplistic terms. If the guy who runs our team jogs up the court, Anthony Davis will jog up the court. If the guy who runs our team takes a couple of dribbles and shoots a contested jump shot, Anthony Davis isn't going to work as hard on the next set. And if the flow on offense isn't good, the effort and energy on defense will suffer as well.

One player can greatly change the outlook of this team. I just don't think that guy is on our roster yet.

How many true point guards start in this league? 10? Maybe even less.

LoL! Again I'm not going to read anything in your post but skim it. Once I saw you thought Reke was the answer at PG I laughed. Reke was your answer at PG? So I guess defense doesn't matter to you. Reke is not a PG and never will be a PG. he is a SG with a PG skill set so you thinking Reke was going to solve the PG position then I don't need to be arguing with you in the first place. So Reke who has never proven to be anything at PG and is now coming back from injury and you are giving excuses yet Jrue can't have those same excuses right? Jrue was atleast an All Star PG at once with potential to still be a stud if he ever got by the one nagging injury that stopped him from playing which he is now finally turning the corner on while Reke has never been close to an all star at PG and has been searching for an identity his whole career since rookie of the year. Your argument is our hypocritical. Jrue has been playing better and better which will take time to get his legs under him. You obviously know nothing about injuries or how much they can hold someone back in a sport. His injury not being able to do anything but rest is probably one of the worst for a basketball player. He played decent before this injury came and has not been able to play at 100% since then. So nothing your have judged is from a healthy player. I can see your still harping over being proven wrong about the injury situation. It's ok just get over it. I'll let time tell and speak for itself on what Jrue will do for this team. Like I said I'll let time speak for itself and we can come back to your Jrue hate later.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 12-08-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Basketball Guru
    [QUOTE=Bongzilla;1351905]As soon as I saw this thread, I bet myself how long before you came "to Jrue's rescue".

lmao....

[QUOTE=6warddude;1352025]

lmao....
    I actually thought the same thing but I'm done internet beefing lol
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Thread Information