Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Seth Curry needs to be on the Pelicans roster.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I mean he is at 45% over two games and getting to the line a ton. Have to imagine his TS% is pretty high. 45% is not exactly bad

.....his three point shot and shot selection is another story. 3-16 from 3-point over two games is not where he needs to be.
    You are a great poster, but note that I was referring to today's numbers only.... he is better than that and I am pretty sure he will prove it... it just wasn't an efficient 25 points today, that's all....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's bought into the system, sure enough, and is taking a large number of 3s.

I'm actually surprised he's only made 3 so far. The ones he's missed have all been just a bit long.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    You are a great poster, but note that I was referring to today's numbers only.... he is better than that and I am pretty sure he will prove it... it just wasn't an efficient 25 points today, that's all....
    On that I agree. Definitely. Today was not very efficient.

Though even then he had a good beginning and end. It was the in-between stuff where his efficiency really dropped off a cliff.

I only posted that to put it into larger context. To add to what you were saying about today. Should of made myself more clear though because I see it looks like I took what you said out of context.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 07-11-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    He is the number 1 creator on the team which he never would be on the Pelicans. Likely just because of how many 3pt shots he's had to force

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Let's see. Are there examples of starting shooting guards, who are not immensly athletic, on any winning teams in the NBA right now, or even recently?
    I messed this question up, big time.

I was sincere in asking it. But i forgot to mention short too. (by NBA standards).
    The Nola Hornets rolled w David Wesley. I cannot think of another short on athletic starting shooting guard for a winning team though

Steph needs to be

It seems gentry and erman like drew more. During interview, everytime they are asked about curry, they bring up drew's name

he had a decent game but 1-9 on threes is not what I want to see

Quote Originally Posted by rm84_ View Post
    he had a decent game but 1-9 on threes is not what I want to see
    Its one bad shooting night. It LITERALLY has zero value. No value at all.

Now, if it becomes a trend -- pay attention. From Jerry West, the pistol, mark price, reggie miller, ray allen, steve nash, to his older brother....

They have all had terrible shooting games.....

Another way to look at it, is you have to be ultra confident to jack up 9 threes and only make 1 ....

I'd rather see both him and Drew2 sitting on the bench practicing with the team every day than the Jimmer and Tony Douglas. We already know exactly what we have in the latter 2, the young guys still have some upside.

Another way to look at it is stopping to make silly comparisons because none of the hall of famers/all pros mentioned would have had any trouble shooting 3s against summer league competition. Jeez. And it's not "one night". He was 2-7 the night before, 1-9 this night on threes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Another way to look at it is stopping to make silly comparisons because none of the hall of famers/all pros mentioned would have had any trouble shooting 3s against summer league competition. Jeez. And it's not "one night". He was 2-7 the night before, 1-9 this night on threes.
    So at this point you are comfortable taking a hard stance that this guy won't be a good shooter because of 2 summer league games? just checking?

P.S. Kevin Durant - 5 - 17 FGs, 0 assists in summer league..................

You're right, all HOF'ers dominate summer league. err or wait...

I wouldn't say going 1-9 has literally zero value. One of the main things that separate starters from everyone else is consistency and consistent efficiency. This game will be factored into the equation and gentry commented on his lack of efficiency yesterday so it didn't go unnoticed.

It is right though that if this game is an outlier it will be looked past as a fluke. Another one or two games like this and he will earn a chucker reputation and you don't want that.

And the poor three point shot is a concern. 3 for 16 over two games is bad. You can't spin the 1-9 positively by talking about the confidence to take that shot but then say any negative analysis about the outcome of those attempts is irrelevant.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 07-12-2015 at 09:44 AM.

I would say that the poor shooting does have almost no value for curry specifically. He is a proven shooter, in college and in the d league he has been a stud shooter, so he has plenty of respect for that. And before anyone says that wasn't the NBA, shooting doesn't change, maybe a bit longer maybe more contested, but if a guy can shoot the ball he can shoot the ball.

Last night curry said himself that he isn't really concerned about the shooting because people know he can shoot. Then both errman and gentry made comments about how they don't care about his shooting numbers he just has to do better to score efficiently, and when some of those shots fall they will. Errman mentioned that it wasn't exactly impressive that he can score and shoot because he knows that is a part of who he is, he said that it was more important that he kept taking open shots even when they don't fall because that shows his confidence level right now.

I don't think anyone doubts he can make open shots but going 3-16 also says something about your shot selection. So yes, if this continues it will be a factor, if it isn't already. Maybe we look past it and conclude positives outweigh negatives but it does matter. This is a team sport and he is looking to be an end of the bench guy/prospect. This team will have no use for a guy that will come in and jack shots. It won't matter how great his wide open jumper is if he is deciding to take a bunch of low quality shots.

I see a lot of Marcus Thornton in this guy, the good and the bad. A guy that when he is on can light it up but when he is off is still jacking up shots and has no self-awareness of when to stop forcing it.

What separates seth though is as Gnetry said, his defense. He is willing and has done a decent job. Which is more then you can get from a guy like Jimmer who is willing but not very capable.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 07-12-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I don't think anyone doubts he can make open shots but going 3-16 also says something about your shot selection. So yes, if this continues it will be a factor, if it isn't already. Maybe we look past it and conclude positives outweigh negatives but it does matter. This is a team sport and he is looking to be an end of the bench guy/prospect. This team will have no use for a guy that will come in and jack shots. It won't matter how great his wide open jumper is if he is deciding to take a bunch of low quality shots.

I see a lot of Marcus Thornton in this guy, the good and the bad. A guy that when he is on can light it up but when he is off is still jacking up shots and has no self-awareness of when to stop forcing it.

What separates seth though is as Gnetry said, his defense. He is willing and has done a decent job. Which is more then you can get from a guy like Jimmer who is willing but not very capable.
    I think Drew 2 beats him out tbh for that 3rd PG spot.

He brings more "balance" to the table(passing/shooting more efficiently/good rebounder/good defender)

i disagree, I did not watch very much of game 2 but I haven't seen s number of bad shots from him. I actually think he is doing a great job of playing within the offense, a part of the offense is going to be volume related because of the pace of play. I feel that he's just missed shots. I mean if he took the same shots and went 7-16 we would be considering it a verification of our impression of his skill set.

I do however get the Thornton comparison, but if he thorton was a less combative personality (I don't know what else to call in) he would be a high valued player in the leauge. Just look at a player like j.j reddick, he doesn't compare perfectly but his impact is similar except he is more valued, I think curry had a ceiling similar to that.

ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS??? YOU ARE COMPARING JIMMIE TO CURRY???? S.CURRY NEEDS TO BE ON THIS ROSTER!!!! LARRY DREW SHOULD BE INVITED TO TRAINING CAMP.

I wasn't sold on Curry until I read an argument for him in all caps.

Case closed.
    @mcnamara247

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I wasn't sold on Curry until I read an argument for him in all caps.

Case closed.
    WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    I think Drew 2 beats him out tbh for that 3rd PG spot.

He brings more "balance" to the table(passing/shooting more efficiently/good rebounder/good defender)
    Perhaps do a little more research into the players besides 2 summer league games before making such broad claims. Drew is certainly not a better shooter than Seth and anyone who takes 2 seconds to look at their career stats can see that. Perhaps Drew is the better overall PG and ball handler but we don't need another ball handler on this team, we already have enough. We need a shooter and someone who can play off ball and compliment the main ball handler and Curry unquestionably fills that role better than Drew 2.

Quote Originally Posted by studentofthegam View Post
    Perhaps do a little more research into the players besides 2 summer league games before making such broad claims.
    *claims seth curry should be a starter after seeing 1 summer league game*

I think we can all agree on the trolling goin on here
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by studentofthegam View Post
    Perhaps do a little more research into the players besides 2 summer league games before making such broad claims. Drew is certainly not a better shooter than Seth and anyone who takes 2 seconds to look at their career stats can see that. Perhaps Drew is the better overall PG and ball handler but we don't need another ball handler on this team, we already have enough. We need a shooter and someone who can play off ball and compliment the main ball handler and Curry unquestionably fills that role better than Drew 2.

I agree for the most part. Unless these practices are showing Drew to be a serious defender; able to guard 1's and 2's.

we may not need another ball handler; but is it a lock that Norris Cole is on the team this year???

I LOVED Cole last year. Hell,I think he could start for this team and we could be a winner.

That being said, if the brass truly believes that Jrue will be healthy, and that Tyreke is a PG; couldn't that be a sacrifice we make because other teams don't view two PG's being better than him on their roster; hence they offer more?

and finally ......nobody mentions Edwin. Are these two light-years ahead of him?

No such thing as "enough ball handlers".

The Pelicans have traded two players putting up great numbers in NBA Summer League. Russ Smith 29.2 MPG, 14.8 PPG, 6.8 assists per game and 3.2 steals per game. Branden Dawson 25.5 MPG, 12.8 PPG, 10.3 RPG, 1.8 steals per game and 1.3 blocks per game.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 07-13-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Thread Information