Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Alvin Gentry hired as Pelicans coach !

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    As of now the pro- Gentry folks and the anti-Gentry folks are right. Once the bullets start flying the. We will see who is right and who is wrong. Nobody will be changing their opinion on this matter until then.
    Let's see if another team hire JVG. That's a sign as well.
    Lol, people are actually debating a JVG hiring like he's legendary!

JVG is in a good spot right now (can talk basketball and doesn't have to worry about a w/l record). He doesn't just go for any job, so I guess we will just have to wait and see when he does take another job.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I'm hoping he utilizes Ryno and put him in good spots like he did Frye in Phx

If playoffs and championships are what matters, Thibs, Hoiberg, jVG et al have not done anything greater than Gentry. People seem to focus on regular season win/loss. Guys like Thibs and JVG couldn't get it done with good rosters. What makes everyone think that they could do more with this roster than Gentry?
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Sean Payton didn't come here as some type of guy that was known to elevate a team to the next level. He was stripped of his play calling duties in NY and had fans putting for sale signs in his yard when he was in Dallas. He was even more of a question mark then Gentry. I think he is one of the best coaches in the NFL and I wouldn't take anyone over him but his past said otherwise. Gentry has been given terrible rosters with bad defensive assistants and when Sean Payton has had sub par rosters and assistants he has shown to have a losing record and be just average a few times. When he has talent on his team to work with the Saints look like one of the best teams in the NFL. Gentry hasn't had near the ability to coach players like Pop has or what Thibs and JVG did. When he had a few players to work with he showed exactly what he is capable of doing and that wasn't some fluke. I mean did Scott Brooks all the sudden forget how to coach or did it have to do with losing Durant and Ibaka for a little? He still had a superstar in Westbrook and a very good roster as some would say. What happened when Thibs lost Rose? They were average at best and looked like a different team but were still able to compete because of the depth and good players they had. With Rose healthy they looked like the best team in the NBA. Indiana was a powerhouse but lose their stud player and a bench guy to not even making the playoffs in the weak east. I doubt it was because Vogel forgot how to coach. Coaches simply have to have players no matter who they are. Pete Carrol and Bellicheck were both downright terrible at their first Head coaching stops in the NFL and Carrol wasn't anything special with Seattle at first. Then both become 2 of the best coaches in the league every year. Doc Rivers was terrible in Orlando to instantly an NBA champion and why? Good players to work with.
    You didn't really say a whole lot pertaining to my point. Nowhere did I say that Gentry can't be that guy, or that he unequivocally won't be, just that I had and have less faith in him to be the guy I want for this franchise when comparing him to the realistic alternatives I wanted. Thus it is why he was lower on my list.

I disagree with you about some details about some of those guys but it isnt worth derailing the topic. As it doesnt really pertain enough to what I am speaking about to go down that road. But nowhere am I excluding talent as a part of the equation in my assessments.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-31-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    If playoffs and championships are what matters, Thibs, Hoiberg, jVG et al have not done anything greater than Gentry. People seem to focus on regular season win/loss. Guys like Thibs and JVG couldn't get it done with good rosters. What makes everyone think that they could do more with this roster than Gentry?
    They aren't all that matters. I think that has been established.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    You didn't really say a whole lot pertaining to my point. Nowhere did I say that Gentry can't be that guy, or that he unequivocally won't be, just that I had and have less faith in him to be the guy I want for this franchise when comparing him to the realistic alternatives I wanted. Thus it is why he was lower on my list.

I disagree with you about some details about some of those guys but it isnt worth derailing the topic. As it doesnt really pertain enough to what I am speaking about to go down that road. But nowhere am I excluding talent as a part of the equation in my assessments.
    Yea you are just completely ignoring the talent factor to make a point that JVG and Thibs built something that you don't think Gentry can. They didn't build anything except have great rosters handed to them to work with. They were really good coaches with very good rosters. You are acting like its a fact Dell wants to be like Riley and power hungry instead of Buford or Loomis Payton type relationship all because he hired Gentry? What makes you believe he won't work with Gentry and let him help build this roster? He seemed to let Monty have input who was not even his hire. I don't know why he would hire Gentry to take all of the power and be Pat Riley when he didn't do this before. Where in the world did Thibs show you he elevated his team in all the ways he mentioned? He had some good regular seasons while being the exact opposite of the elevating the organization and team similoar to how Pops and Payton have. Gentry has been as far as Thibs and JVG while having 1 year with a really good roster woth an average and bunch of lottery rosters after that. When have Thibs and JVG ever had a roster than resembled anything that Gentry had? You have been tooting the Thibs horn for weeks now and have made that very clear with points that benefit him solely that are pure speculation. If Dell is in your opinion power hungry wich he has shown no actual proof of being that way then what is Thibs who has publicly blasted management and wanted more control of roster. I would much rather have a coach who is willing to work along with our GM then one who seems to get along with nobody including his players. They were saying how Thibs slapped a hat off of Derrick Roses head during a shoot around because he didn't like it.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-31-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Gentry wasn't my first choice but I have seen absolutely nothing people can say negatively about him other than his W/L record. If you actually go look into those rosters there is not one coach on this planet that could have done anything with the teams he had and the management he was dealing with. Thibs of all people has more negative things circling him then any coach out there. Gentry is loved by players and very respected by coaches and front offices all around the NBA. I don't think anyone can argue he had 1 really good team for 1 season taking them to the WC Finals and 1 game away from the NBA Finals losing to a stacked Lakers team. I don't think anyone can argue that he had an actual playoff roster once but still want to throw out his W/L record as the only thing able to be dug up about him not to like. Then since Dell hired him it is viewed as some power hungry hire because it wasn't someone else.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-31-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I was just hoping that the would get a better coach than Monty. I will have to wait an see if they did. Can't wait until the season starts.

Yea you are just completely ignoring the talent factor to make a point that JVG and Thibs built something that you don't think Gentry can. They didn't build anything except have great rosters handed to them to work with. They were really good coaches with very good rosters. You are acting like its a fact Dell wants to be like Riley and power hungry instead of Buford or Loomis Payton type relationship all because he hired Gentry? What makes you believe he won't work with Gentry and let him help build this roster? He seemed to let Monty have input who was not even his hire. I don't know why he would hire Gentry to take all of the power and be Pat Riley when he didn't do this before. Where in the world did Thibs show you he elevated his team in all the ways he mentioned? He had some good regular seasons while being the exact opposite of the elevating the organization and team similoar to how Pops and Payton have. Gentry has been as far as Thibs and JVG while having 1 year with a really good roster woth an average and bunch of lottery rosters after that. When have Thibs and JVG ever had a roster than resembled anything that Gentry had? You have been tooting the Thibs horn for weeks now and have made that very clear with points that benefit him solely that are pure speculation. If Dell is in your opinion power hungry wich he has shown no actual proof of being that way then what is Thibs who has publicly blasted management and wanted more control of roster. I would much rather have a coach who is willing to work along with our GM then one who seems to get along with nobody including his players. They were saying how Thibs slapped a hat off of Derrick Roses head during a shoot around because he didn't like it.
    How is it going talking to that straw man?

You are telling me something I didn't do when I told you I explicitly I did. If you are going to just choose to think I'm lying when I respond to you then this conversation should just stop.

You are continuing to attack this straw man that I don't think Gentry can succeed where I want our head coach to succeed when I have twice said the opposite. Simply stating that I preferred JVG and Thibs over Gentry doesnt mean I am calling Gentry garbage. This isn't some zero sum game where choosing one automatically means I hate the other.

Not every one is going to look at the same data and draw the same conclusions you want them too. Get over it.

Ask 30 different GM's to hire our next coach and you are likely to get a wide range of selections based on those individuals own metrics, criteria, POV, experience and goals.

But like our last conversation you get yourself going on wild tangents and just talk past the person. You really need to get a grip. If you aren't actually interested in listening to what the person you are quoting has to say and intend to communicate in good faith, I'm going to just stop responding to you.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-31-2015 at 10:54 PM.

How is it going talking to that straw man?

You are telling me something I didn't do when I told you I explicitly I did. If you are going to just choose to think I'm lying when I respond to you then this conversation should just stop.

You are continuing to attack this straw man that I don't think Gentry can succeed where I want our head coach to succeed when I have twice said the opposite. Simply stating that I preferred JVG and Thibs over Gentry doesnt mean I am calling Gentry garbage. This isn't some zero sum game where choosing one automatically means I hate the other.

Not every one is going to look at the same data and draw the same conclusions you want them too. Get over it.

Ask 30 different GM's to hire our next coach and you are likely to get a wide range of selections based on those individuals own metrics, criteria, POV, experience and goals.

But like our last conversation you get yourself going on wild tangents and just talk past the person. You really need to get a grip. If you aren't actually interested in listening to what the person you are quoting has to say and intend to communicate in good faith, I'm going to just stop responding to you.
    Haha I addressed everything you said but your right. You are a joke haha!

Haha I addressed everything you said but your right. You are a joke haha!
    I think you honestly believe that and frankly that is sad. You talk past the other person incessantly, went on ad nauseum attacking straw men and now we have come to the end; where the personal attacks begin and where I move on.

Seems to be the cycle I've come to expect with you though. Have a good night.

I think you honestly believe that and frankly that is sad. You talk past the other person incessantly, went on ad nauseum attacking straw men and now we have come to the end; where the personal attacks begin and where I move on.

Seems to be the cycle I've come to expect with you though. Have a good night.
    Haha you and the personal attacks. You were the first to personal attack and that was calling me a joke. Now your gonna cry when the same thing is said to you? How is it going talking to that straw man?

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    I was just hoping that the would get a better coach than Monty. I will have to wait an see if they did. Can't wait until the season starts.
    This is where I'm at. Those for Gentry, and those against Gentry have every reason to side where they do. The season needs to start before anyone can say with certainty if this was a good hire or not.

They aren't all that matters. I think that has been established.
    I don't think they are all that matters, but they are pretty telling. As for Gentry doing more than Tibs or Van Gundy...well yeah, I guess Paul Westphal, and Brian Hill, but nobody is screaming and throwing panties on those guys stages.

Haha you and the personal attacks. You were the first to personal attack and that was calling me a joke. Now your gonna cry when the same thing is said to you? How is it going talking to that straw man?
    Haha....All I can do is laugh and shake my head at this display by you. Good night.... For the final time.

I think I'm with Bronco in that I'd have preferred JVG, from a head coaching standpoint. I think head to head JVG is probably better in game than Gentry, however in terms of being able to compile a brilliant coaching staff, I'd say they're both as good as each other. Gentry also is a better fit with the philosophy, and I feel he'll be able to get the most out of our players on offense, which is really exciting.

Personally I would have preferred Hoiberg or Atkinson like MM had vouched for, because that chance to get the next Phil Jackson or pop is too enticing. But I understand the process behind Demps selection, and I think that we'll get infinitely better from here out regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    I think I'm with Bronco in that I'd have preferred JVG, from a head coaching standpoint. I think head to head JVG is probably better in game than Gentry, however in terms of being able to compile a brilliant coaching staff, I'd say they're both as good as each other. Gentry also is a better fit with the philosophy, and I feel he'll be able to get the most out of our players on offense, which is really exciting.

Personally I would have preferred Hoiberg or Atkinson like MM had vouched for, because that chance to get the next Phil Jackson or pop is too enticing. But I understand the process behind Demps selection, and I think that we'll get infinitely better from here out regardless.
    I would have liked Hoiberg, JVG, Atkinson, and a couple others over Gentry also. The idea that this hire was because Demps is power hungry is ridiculous. Demps didn't show he was power hungry with Monty who wasn't his guy so why would he now when he is bringing in the guy he hand picked. I think looking at Gentrys W/L record is also a poor deciding factor when you actually dig into the teams he has coached were downright terrible. This can also be a poor argument why coaches with lots of wins are great coaches also. For example Scott Brooks who I think is a really good coach but his record would have you believing he's top 5 in the NBA. Give Gentry that team over that period of time and I guarantee you he has the similiar success. Gentry mite not be my favorite along with lots of other people but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is a very good fit here and with a really good staff can be a home run hire. If he took the Suns roster to the WC Finals I think he can do something pretty special here. I'm right there with you on some of those other guys but I think we got a very good coach who is a safe hire and a great fit.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-01-2015 at 01:14 AM.

I would like everyone to go into this podcast with an open mind, listen to what a person who has actually worked for years with Gentry has to say about him and then we come back and discuss some more

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...-alvin-gentry/

Will also be on iTunes
    @mcnamara247

Gentry has been my number 1 choice since monty was fired. I'm tickled to bits by this signing... hoo hooo what an excellent season lies ahead for us peli****s。

Everyone go listen to the podcast on BSS. Pretty please
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    Gentry has been my number 1 choice since monty was fired. I'm tickled to bits by this signing... hoo hooo what an excellent season lies ahead for us peli****s。

What did you call us?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I would like everyone to go into this podcast with an open mind, listen to what a person who has actually worked for years with Gentry has to say about him and then we come back and discuss some more

Will also be on iTunes
    An excellent Podcast (You guys did really well on the audio as well, its improved heaps over the last couple years), sounds like Gentry is on the ball in terms of next gen type Bball, and can really pull together an excellent team.

I think like you said before, the crux of the all this will come down to the assistant staff, which I have confidence will be done well. I mean with him and Demps, no way they can screw it up.

I'm not sure about his in game coaching ability (particularly his ability to motivate players, and adjustments), butI don't think he'll be terrible btw, at least a s good if not a little better than Monty. But all the other stuff I'm almost 100% sure we'll be sitting pretty

I think Gentry is a significant upgrade over Monty but I know the assistants Gentry hires will be leaps and bounds above what Monty had so this is definitely an approved coaching staff in my opinion .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Will also be on iTunes
    It's Getting Better All The Time
    I enjoyed the podcast
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Thread Information