Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Alvin Gentry hired as Pelicans coach !

Don't know how Gentry would be considered a safe hire...JVG and Thibs seem to be safer as they both have impressive w/l records. Gentry's W/L record is what everyone seems to have a problem with making him a harder sell to the fans and also making him the riskier choice. If Gentry does not work out it will cost Demps his job, not sure if that would have been true if Thibs or JVG didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Does anyone else view this hire as a single or a double at best? He isn't the "Wow!" like JVG (or to a lesser extent Tibs) would hVe been, but he is a safe hire.
    I guess my question to you would be: What was the Budingholzer, Kerr, or Blatt hire when they were made? Do you think their fan bases were running through the streets naked and excited? Who cares how excited people are? How the team produces will matter in the long run, not how people feel about it on June 1st
    @mcnamara247

Do you see his age as a problem MM??

Honestly I was pretty sold on all three of those hires to varying degrees. Gentry a bit less so then those 3. Still, he has my support.

Blatt I felt probably could of benefitted from 1-2 years as an assistant with Kerr(like he was positioned to do) but I still think he is pretty underrated right now and has done a good job. He is clearly a good coach but is also clearly a fish out of water in a league that is very much the epitome of a old mens club of "who do you know?"

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I guess my question to you would be: What was the Budingholzer, Kerr, or Blatt hire when they were made? Do you think their fan bases were running through the streets naked and excited? Who cares how excited people are? How the team produces will matter in the long run, not how people feel about it on June 1st
    But the difference is, those guys were all first time NBA head coaches, so hope was springing eternal. If we had hired a Hoiberg, Donovan, or Atkison, the sentiment would have been the same.

Had we picked up Karl, or picked up JVG or Tibs, people would have been maybe of the mind of a Mavs fan when they brought in Rick Carlisle. He hasn't won the big one, but his record is something that shows he can win in the league.

But Gentry. The optimism is only held by the eternal optimist. This is like going out and hiring Brian Hill or Dale Harris.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 05-31-2015 at 04:14 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Banned
    I'm thinking he was a fall guy type hire for when AD leaves. I don't hate the guy at all...I just don't get it. The logic is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    But the difference is, those guys were all first time NBA head coaches, so hope was springing eternal. If we had hired a Hoiberg, Donovan, or Atkison, the sentiment would have been the same.

Had we picked up Karl, or picked up JVG or Tibs, people would have been maybe of the mind of a Mavs fan when they brought in Rick Carlisle. He hasn't won the big one, but his record is something that shows he can win in the league.

But Gentry. The optimism is only held by the eternal optimist. This is like going out and hiring Brian Hill or Dale Harris.
    I see your point, but Gentry's got some very, very good seasons under his belt over the past few seasons. His first Suns team with Amar'e was one of the most efficient offenses in recent memory, and his Clipper and Warrior offenses were No. 1 with a bullet. He's the chief X's and O's guy on the offensive side for the Dubs (Kerr has to rely on him for that) and I'm pretty sure the same was true of LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    I'm thinking he was a fall guy type hire for when AD leaves. I don't hate the guy at all...I just don't get it. The logic is beyond me.
    Sage wisdom from "Asteptooslow"

Hill took the Magic to the Finals once, and Harris was the set up guy for Phil in LA. Neither of them were bad basketball minds, but it wasn't age that kept them from coaching successful teams after those stops.

I guess we will find out how important Gentry is to the Warriors next year (when he isn't with them). As of now it seems more a courtesy to say he was a key cog to their success. The way people talk of him you would think that he was the head coach or something.

I can't see the logic changing gentry for monty.Is not an upgrade, you can tell what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by juko123 View Post
    Don't know how Gentry would be considered a safe hire...JVG and Thibs seem to be safer as they both have impressive w/l records. Gentry's W/L record is what everyone seems to have a problem with making him a harder sell to the fans and also making him the riskier choice. If Gentry does not work out it will cost Demps his job, not sure if that would have been true if Thibs or JVG didn't work out.
    Gentry has a better W/L record than JVG. People just want to have an excuse to hate the hire because it wasn't who THEY wanted. So they nitpick and make outright false claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Gentry has a better W/L record than JVG. People just want to have an excuse to hate the hire because it wasn't who THEY wanted. So they nitpick and make outright false claims.
    Ah not sure where you got that one from?

JVG: .575 W/L record
    Gentry: .475 W/L record

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Ah not sure where you got that one from?

JVG: .575 W/L record
    Gentry: .475 W/L record
    Sorry. I was looking at Playoff W/L record.

May have a better record, but JVG always had a good team around him, gentry was always a mid season addition to a rebuilding team..
    Would you base mike malone off his coaching record?

Still ambivalent as can be. Didn't even go to get my new seats yesterday. I know he's an offensive-minded coach but our defense over the past couple of years leaves something to be desired, even with AD. Hope he has some defensive assistants he can bring along because we need 'em.

Sorry. I was looking at Playoff W/L record.
    Now that is something I have become more inticed with Gentry about. By several accounts he did a good job adjusting and preparing for his playoff matchups. Pop tried to throw a wrench at them and he ended up sweeping them that Western conference finals season.

At least Alvin's suits are better than Monty's.

Now that is something I have become more inticed with Gentry about. By several accounts he did a good job adjusting and preparing for his playoff matchups. Pop tried to throw a wrench at them and he ended up sweeping them that Western conference finals season.
    Like most, I believe with a good defensive assistant this is near about a home run as we could realistically get.

The difference seems to be those who are against this hire have no faith that Dell, the Pels FO, and even Gentry himself recognize the need for a strong defensive assistant while forum users everywhere see it clear as day.

I tend to believe they clearly see the need and will make the right hires. I don't pretend to be smarter than everyone combined in the Pels organization. Until we don't hire that defensive coach I will assume we will because everyone recognizes it.

Like most, I believe with a good defensive assistant this is near about a home run as we could realistically get.

The difference seems to be those who are against this hire have no faith that Dell, the Pels FO, and even Gentry himself recognize the need for a strong defensive assistant while forum users everywhere see it clear as day.

I tend to believe they clearly see the need and will make the right hires. I don't pretend to be smarter than everyone combined in the Pels organization. Until we don't hire that defensive coach I will assume we will because everyone recognizes it.
    My disagreement with hiring Gentry has more to do with being the right guy to build that much needed foundation for this team to not only be successful next season but for the long haul.

Which isn't just X's and O's or whether the guy we bring in will hire a good defensive assistant or offensive assistant but what Sean Payton did for the Saints or Popovich did for the Spurs, which is to elevate a franchise to the next level in terms of its team operations, long term sustainability, culture, league attractiveness and talent acquisition and development(not just with players but personnel as well). JVG and Thibs have both clearly shown the capacity to do that(JVG much more so), Gentry really hasn't and Im not convinced he will be better then those two yet.. Not to say he might not prove me wrong, which I hope he does, but when looking at his body of work so far I am not struck by Gentry as that sort. Which is what I really wanted from our next coach.

Which frankly doesnt surprise me too much because I think Demps clearly wants to be like a Pat Riley and less like RC Buford or Loomis and Payton. A guy that is more keen on keeping the power hierarchy in place instead of blurring, sharing and being on more equal footing.

And as someone around here that doesnt exactly see Demps as the next Pat Riley, you can see why I might be more keen on looking for that type of head coach.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-31-2015 at 05:45 PM.

I would have preferred JVG, our defense needs a lot more help than our offense right now, and JVG is much more likely to fill that hole. However Gentry has a lot lower chance of retaining Asik, which in my view is excellent.
    Hey @okcthunder - you guys suck! Our top players are hurt. Some are dead. Some don't even like basketball.And we still kicked y'all's asses!- @TheFakeMonty

Quote Originally Posted by frankatank109 View Post
    I would have preferred JVG, our defense needs a lot more help than our offense right now, and JVG is much more likely to fill that hole. However Gentry has a lot lower chance of retaining Asik, which in my view is excellent.
    I was thinking this before Gentry was hired. I wanted a guy that I felt could get our net rating as high as possible and obviously we are lacking on the defensive side of the ball. Now that Gentry has been hired and I have been trying to sell myself on it...I kind of like the fact that this offense will be off the charts and we won't have to worry about an assistant leaving in order to maintain our offensive explosiveness. The defensive assistants will be so key...we should have some money in the coaching budget to get some good ones. Can't wait to find out who they are.

The warriors are the #1 defensive team in the league. I'm sure Gentry will be smart enough to hire great defensive assistants. I expect the ones who are dissatisfied now will be wowed by the staff Gentry brings in. I'm sure Benson has an open budget.

As of now the pro- Gentry folks and the anti-Gentry folks are right. Once the bullets start flying the. We will see who is right and who is wrong. Nobody will be changing their opinion on this matter until then.

My disagreement with hiring Gentry has more to do with being the right guy to build that much needed foundation for this team to not only be successful next season but for the long haul.

Which isn't just X's and O's or whether the guy we bring in will hire a good defensive assistant or offensive assistant but what Sean Payton did for the Saints or Popovich did for the Spurs, which is to elevate a franchise to the next level in terms of its team operations, long term sustainability, culture, league attractiveness and talent acquisition and development(not just with players but personnel as well). JVG and Thibs have both clearly shown the capacity to do that(JVG much more so), Gentry really hasn't and Im not convinced he will be better then those two yet.. Not to say he might not prove me wrong, which I hope he does, but when looking at his body of work so far I am not struck by Gentry as that sort. Which is what I really wanted from our next coach.

Which frankly doesnt surprise me too much because I think Demps clearly wants to be like a Pat Riley and less like RC Buford or Loomis and Payton. A guy that is more keen on keeping the power hierarchy in place instead of blurring, sharing and being on more equal footing.

And as someone around here that doesnt exactly see Demps as the next Pat Riley, you can see why I might be more keen on looking for that type of head coach.
    Sean Payton didn't come here as some type of guy that was known to elevate a team to the next level. He was stripped of his play calling duties in NY and had fans putting for sale signs in his yard when he was in Dallas. He was even more of a question mark then Gentry. I think he is one of the best coaches in the NFL and I wouldn't take anyone over him but his past said otherwise. Gentry has been given terrible rosters with bad defensive assistants and when Sean Payton has had sub par rosters and assistants he has shown to have a losing record and be just average a few times. When he has talent on his team to work with the Saints look like one of the best teams in the NFL. Gentry hasn't had near the ability to coach players like Pop has or what Thibs and JVG did. When he had a few players to work with he showed exactly what he is capable of doing and that wasn't some fluke. I mean did Scott Brooks all the sudden forget how to coach or did it have to do with losing Durant and Ibaka for a little? He still had a superstar in Westbrook and a very good roster as some would say. What happened when Thibs lost Rose? They were average at best and looked like a different team but were still able to compete because of the depth and good players they had. With Rose healthy they looked like the best team in the NBA. Indiana was a powerhouse but lose their stud player and a bench guy to not even making the playoffs in the weak east. I doubt it was because Vogel forgot how to coach. Coaches simply have to have players no matter who they are. Pete Carrol and Bellicheck were both downright terrible at their first Head coaching stops in the NFL and Carrol wasn't anything special with Seattle at first. Then both become 2 of the best coaches in the league every year. Doc Rivers was terrible in Orlando to instantly an NBA champion and why? Good players to work with.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 05-31-2015 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Agreed!

Thread Information