Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Alvin Gentry hired as Pelicans coach !

Banned
    Seriously...Coach will be fine as long as he hires the right assistant coaches? Not a ringing endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Seriously...Coach will be fine as long as he hires the right assistant coaches? Not a ringing endorsement.
    I can understand that argument as most of Phil Jackson's success was based upon Tex Winters, but then Greg Pop is always rotating his assistants. While I can understand why the assistants are just as important as the coach, I doubt the asst. coach will be paid as much as the HC, and I am pretty sure that if things go south people will blame the HC before they do the Asst. coach.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Sorry to break it to you, but that is basically every coach. Find me a good team and I will show you a great staff. Not every team has a great head coach, however
    @mcnamara247

Can we talk about something important now? Pick 56 tournament!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Sorry to break it to you, but that is basically every coach. Find me a good team and I will show you a great staff. Not every team has a great head coach, however
    I think you know what I mean. You have confidence in certain coaches and KNOW things will happen. With him I think we are being less than genuine to say that. I don't want to rely on an assistant coach (like Blatt did) to save us. Lets just say the enthusiasm level isn't through the roof on this board.

Kerr has Gentry run the offense, Adams run the defense.

Blatt has Lue and Boylan.

Nobody would call McHale or Wittman great coaches, but they have a great staff. Doc always surrounds himself with elite assistants. Atkinson was as responsible for Atlanta's success as Bud. Kidd has two FANTASTIC assistants running the defense.

Looking at the head coach and the head coach alone is so pointless IMO. We hired about 20% of our coaching staff yesterday. Stay tuned.

All our Gentry BSS pieces in one spot

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/tag/alvin-gentry/

Many more to come.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Persoanlly, I'm excited about this hire. He was the guy I thought we would get from the beginning of this process. It was great reading the backgrounds of all of the candidates, provided by BSS, and I was definitely intrigued by a few, but I always came back to Gentry in my mind. If we are about the now, Gentry is perfect in that his experience with the Warriors this year, and the Clips last year, are significant. This dude is hungry to go to the next level, as we are as a franchise, making this a great match, imo. Go Pels!

For what it's worth most of the Golden State fans are very upset about losing him and many say that he is the main reason for there success this year .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    For what it's worth most of the Golden State fans are very upset about losing him and many say that he is the main reason for there success this year .

He and Adams had more of an impact than Kerr according to most of the Warriors writers I have talked to

He and Adams had more of an impact than Kerr according to most of the Warriors writers I have talked to
    Agreed. Glad the truth is coming out about that Golden State team and it's success. Hell of a job by that entire staff, but mainly Gentry and Adams. And I love the way Kerr humbly acknowledge those two for their work and especially Gentry for helping him make that transition into coaching doing the season as a HC for the first time.

Banned
    Well let's hope the Pelicans hired more than a good assistant coach to lead the team.

This was the first thing that popped into my mind, AD was extremely efficient at scoring and should have had more shot attempts and plays for him. With Gentry as the coach, AD might lead the league in scoring lol.

I hope gentry can convince mike malone to be his assistant

I love the hire. Gentry was an assistant with the Clips last year and they were one of (if not THE) best offensive teams in the lead. Now he's in GS, and they lead the NBA in most offensive categories.

I have no doubts that our offense will pick up, but we still need to see who he hires onto his staff (as said by MM and others).

But as much as I'm waiting to see who gentry fills his staff with... I'm more excited about the player personnel moves that we make. Because coaches don't play... players play. This will forever be a player-driven league, and if we don't put the right players on the court that gentry needs, then the torches will be lit and the gentry haters (that are in this thread, actually) will be going for this dude's throat.

Serious question, what is Mike Malone up to?

Gentry has to know the contribution he made to shaping the Warriors defense and his success elsewhere including N.O. He honestly reminds me of a slightly poorer mans Thibodeau with the way he crafts defenses so well. Except Malone is actually universally loved by players it seems.

Any chance whatsoever we can get him to make peace with Monty about it and move on from the wolves and come to N.O. As our lead assistant?

The offense could use some solid tinkering and never really doubted Gentry could do that but the defense needs a complete overhaul. To me a good defensive assistant will take this hire from meh to incredible if we get a really good one.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-31-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Primarily responsible for the Warriors offense — top-rated for most of the season — Gentry believes the Pelicans have underutilized Davis’ offensive skills. Not only did he express this during his initial interview with Loomis and Demps, but Gentry also came into that session equipped with charts and graphs to illustrate his point.
    Have to agree with DH, this is the best part of that article. Obviously the guy came prepared to his interview.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Serious question, what is Mike Malone up to?

Gentry has to know the contribution he made to shaping the Warriors defense and his success elsewhere including N.O. He honestly reminds me of a slightly poorer mans Thibodeau with the way he crafts defenses so well. Except Malone is actually universally loved by players it seems.

Any chance whatsoever we can get him to make peace with Monty about it and move on from the wolves and come to N.O. As our lead assistant?

The offense could use some solid tinkering and never really doubted Gentry could do that but the defense needs a complete overhaul. To me a good defensive assistant will take this hire from meh to incredible if we get a really good one.
    Isn't he in a front office role with MN? Or somewhere I think. Malone is a fairly young coach and he has had 1 shot at a HC gig. I think if Gentry/Dell went to him with the idea of him eventually replacing Gentry after several years, he listens with some interest. We have a very nice foundation in place with an owner willing to spend $$. Gentry/Malone of course is a homerun hire IMO.

I'd like to see if Brian Shaw is up for a position as well. He or Mike Malone would be excellent. What are some other top assts that you could see us going after MM? Anyone on the current staff being retained?

I would like to know what assistants are we targeting and when they might be hired does anyone have a guess when this may go down ? After the Warriors are finished or has Gentry gave them a list of who he prefers .

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    I would like to know what assistants are we targeting and when they might be hired does anyone have a guess when this may go down ? After the Warriors are finished or has Gentry gave them a list of who he prefers .

Dell and Gentry have already spoken about this. At length. It is what they are working on now, with regard to putting it together. It will be a process as well, with Gentry needing to talk to current guys on staff, along with others around the league in more depth.

Yes! So in 2009-2010, Phoenix had the #1 offensive efficiency under Gentry and 4th highest pace. In 2010-2011 Phoenix 9th best offensive efficiency and 8th highest pace, and in 2011-2012 the 8th offensive efficiency and 9th pace. And this year, as assistant head coach, the Warriors have the #2 offensive efficiency, and #1 pace.

Looking forward to seeing this new offense in action.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 05-31-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Alvin Gentry hired as Pelicans coach !

I can see not being excited about Gentry, but that is only step 1. While you can argue he might only be a small upgrade over Monty, I guarantee the lead assistant will be a MAJOR upgrade over Ayers. The coach might only slightly improve, but the coaching staff will likely be much better. I say we wait a bit before we do a full evaluation, because the next hire (of a defensive assistant) will be just as important as the Gentry hire.
    I agree with you. However, i read your article about the possible assistants and not really thrilled with any of them. Only one i liked was Shaw because he was a good defensive player. Looks like he is going to the Warriors though. Do you think Gentry will go with some new blood or are you convinced it will be someone he has history with?

Even Shaw doesnt really excite me and it seems he is the first guy Gentry called( i seriously doubt Kerr was looking to hire his replacement mid finals prep and a defensive guy at that when they have Adams).

Thibs or Malone or Adams you can point to and really narrow down how good of a defensive assistant they are. I can't really do the same with Shaw I feel.

He had a bad track record with the Nuggets and the Pacers were going to be pretty good with whoever they got given the talent and head coach who had groomed that system before he took over as head coach. Shaw comes off more as a good functionary in an already established system, not really the guy to come in and completely re-craft a defense like we need to go with Gentry's offense.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-31-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Does anyone else view this hire as a single or a double at best? He isn't the "Wow!" like JVG (or to a lesser extent Tibs) would hVe been, but he is a safe hire.

Thread Information