Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Alvin Gentry hired as Pelicans coach !

I'm good with the hiring. I trust in Dell and his decisions. It seems like we have the perfect roster to fit an uptempo offense (which is what I think Dell always wanted). I hope Gentry gets a nice defensive lead assistant with him.

I just hope AD is good with this hiring in order to keep him happy!

I am willing to overlook Gentry's Clipper days. Those were the pre- Blake Griffin days when they traded good players for Capt. Kangaroo, and never paid players (only racially assaulted them). Its his Phx days which have me nervous. I remember when he left, many were confused as to why they decided to break up, but that team he left wasn't bad, it just had a bad record. Same issue with the year prior (not a bad team, just a bad record).

I hope he can secure Lindsey Hunter's services (thats who he had in Phx), or Ivaroni who he worked with in LA. He needs really strong assistants if he is going to be successful.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The Franchise
    Im happy it's done but I think the assistants are what's going to make or break this hiring. Now I'm ready for some roster moves.

I don't think Gentry's hire was governed by Demps' desire to control things. I think Demps is smart enough to know that his (Demps') future will be based by how well the team does. Now whether or not Demps made the right decision in hiring Gentry is a story yet to unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Im happy it's done but I think the assistants are what's going to make or break this hiring. Now I'm ready for some roster moves.
    Yeah me too. I think it won't be much of a roster shake-up. We already have alot of uptempo guards in Cole, Gordon, Holiday, and Evans. I think Q-Pon and Dante fit pretty well as wings (I would like to get another quality one though). I HOPE we can somehow get Robin Lopez. I still feel like he is still ideal big next to AD plus he can run. That would be sweet.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/r...new-head-coach

Primarily responsible for the Warriors offense — top-rated for most of the season — Gentry believes the Pelicans have underutilized Davis’ offensive skills. Not only did he express this during his initial interview with Loomis and Demps, but Gentry also came into that session equipped with charts and graphs to illustrate his point.

Demps is looking for the path of least resistance, of course his hiring of Gentry (and not JVG or Tibs) was based on that. Either of those two guys would have demanded more say so in their roster, while Gentry...look at his past rosters, there is no way he was fighting for some of those players.

Remember all you guys that called me idiots for saying gentry is our guy 100 percent ? Well thanks ..

I hope gentry came with charts and graphs about how tyreke is one of the most inefficient and inconsistent players ever .. And how that doesn't get you anywhere in the playoffs

I don't think people realise , gentry never had a good team in his life besides those two Suns years ...
    When Suns were bad in 10-11 amare left and their best f/a signing was vince carter .:.. It wasn't a good team, it was worse than what cp3 had in his final year yet they still had 40
    Wins

Those final Suns teams weren't bad though. Go look at those rosters. The only thing bad was, it was bad to see they couldn't get more out of that group than the following coach got out of a lessor group.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I smell Demps didn't want to give up any control to Tibs or JVG, and so he found the best "Yes" man he could. Not a bad "Yes" man, but not one that is going to demand things from the front office that they won't want to budge on.

I hope for brighter days, but we shall see. Not feeling to optomistic.
    Soooooo inaccurate! My god....

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBREED View Post
    Soooooo inaccurate! My god....
    Tell me about it.

"Of note: Brian Shaw, head coach of the Denver Nuggets until dismissed in March, was a visitor at the Warriors facility on Saturday." Hope he was there to meet with Gentry about Pelicans.

I will put myself on record just like I did with the Jrue trade and the Evans signing.

Much like most of Demps's other big moves, namely Jrue, Evans and Rivers, I am not exactly ecstatic. In fact slightly underwhelmed and a bit upset. Much like I hoped with those moves mentioned(which unfortunately I feel I was proven right about), I hope that this time, in 2 years, I am eating crow. 2 years seems a reasonable time to draw a verdict. It would make me happy because that would signal that Gentry is the best coach that gets hired out of the available candidates we had at our disposal. Better then JVG, better then Thibs, better then Malone, better then Hoiberg, better then Atkinson, better then Miller etc.

And for this franchise's sake I hope Demps is right because if he isn't the fallout will be worse then CP3. A fallout I don't know this franchise can recover from.

With that said Gentry has my full support and I will be rooting for him. I hope he truly is as great as some of his supporters claim and truly can be the sort of coaching mind that I think this franchise needed to find to make a lasting statement in this league.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 05-30-2015 at 11:21 PM.

One point I think needs to be mentioned is how Classy Kerr is. Not only letting Gentry interview but accept the job, have it be announced, and continue to use him on the staff. He could have easily felt it would be a betrayal to do anything before the Finals were over.

To say the least, I'm very confused by this hiring. I really don't think Gentry was the best coach available and I have my doubt because since the league is all about cycles, I don't know if it's good to attach the team to a precise philosophy. In few years, defense and slow pace will regain some steam and I don't see Gentry adapting well. The only sure good thing about this hiring is we should be exciting to watch.

Now, will it be enough to keep AD happy ? I have doubts but let's hope he will relate well with Alvin Gentry and his staff.

Speaking of the staff, since there was a lot of talk about how easy it was to have a great defensive lead assistant, I have to warn that I may loose my mind (and may be even my fandom) if it isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    One point I think needs to be mentioned is how Classy Kerr is. Not only letting Gentry interview but accept the job, have it be announced, and continue to use him on the staff. He could have easily felt it would be a betrayal to do anything before the Finals were over.
    Great guy. Wish he had waited one more year to make the leap lol.

He did the same thing for Blatt. He actually had David Blatt signed as his lead assistant and allowed him to interview with the Cavs. Some guys could of pulled the contract card or tried to discourage their guy from taking the interview but Kerr encouraged and completely supported it. Crazy how stuff works out. Now they will play each other for the title.

Not gonna lie though, a fish out of water like Blatt could of probably really benefitted from one year as a lead assistant. I think he is very underrated as is but I think that one year could of really helped bridge him to the league.

Don't get your hopes up for Shaw.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source-...48161-nba.html

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Spears
    Former Nuggets coach Brian Shaw is interested in replacing Gentry as the Warriors associate head coach, a source told Yahoo Sports. Shaw is an Oakland native who attended Warriors practice on Saturday. The Shaw family recently moved back to their Oakland Hills home.

i was told by my italian friend that dell was also high on messina
    but he said that he is going to succeed pop when he retires

so nothing new...

I can see not being excited about Gentry, but that is only step 1. While you can argue he might only be a small upgrade over Monty, I guarantee the lead assistant will be a MAJOR upgrade over Ayers. The coach might only slightly improve, but the coaching staff will likely be much better. I say we wait a bit before we do a full evaluation, because the next hire (of a defensive assistant) will be just as important as the Gentry hire.
    @mcnamara247

Banned
    I don't see how anyone could be excited. I think hopes and dreams were much higher than Gentry when coach got fired.

THIBS, JVG.....Gentry? Average, just average.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I can see not being excited about Gentry, but that is only step 1. While you can argue he might only be a small upgrade over Monty, I guarantee the lead assistant will be a MAJOR upgrade over Ayers. The coach might only slightly improve, but the coaching staff will likely be much better. I say we wait a bit before we do a full evaluation, because the next hire (of a defensive assistant) will be just as important as the Gentry hire.
    The suspense!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So... are we going to have a BSS lead assistant tournament ?

Thread Information