Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fire Monty Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPel View Post
    Nope. Karl would rather a big market. Going to ask for a lot of money too. If the old man don't want to pay Jimmy Graham, what makes you think he is going to pay for Karl?
    Two points that have little to no backing. Good job, as usual.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I have been reading this forum for awhile and just decided to post. I really appreciate the insight and information a lot you all present. Many of you are very informative bunch. However, i don't honestly see how anyone can blame all of this on Monty. I mean if you saying Hey he has the talent he should be able to turn it around. I mean if talent should dictate instant results then what is Brooklyn excuse they have 5 all-stars as their starting line and at least 2 Hall of Famers, and they are struggling. Memphis is 3-4, to the poster who said Boston is playing so good, they are 4-4, Denver is 2-5, Chicago is 3-3. I mean really with our team its going to take time. We couldn't even get our rotation ironed out because of injury. This isn't 2K when you can just hit the reset button when things are going bad or you are losing. This is real life. And it takes time to build Chemistry. Now i do believe that Monty could improve on somethings; Yes i do. With this Microwave society of instant gratification if we didn't start out hot i knew ppl here would be calling for Monty to get fired. I mean the guy was selected as one of the assists of USA Basketball. One of the reason why is because Coach K wants this next run of USA players to have a defense of mindset. Which why they selected 2 of the best coaches in the business in that area. Monty and Tom. All I'm saying is just give it to Dec or Jan to look at the overall picture. That should be a good representation. Heck, DelL thought it may take a yr before we see the fruits of this team. So just give it time. Besides MM is right? You are not going to get a quote unquote good coach to come in without a training to camp to implement their philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Tech View Post
    Id rather lose with an crappy interim coach for just the remainder of the season than lose with Monty.
    Explain why? You have Monty a "proven" player developer to hold down the fort for the rest of the year versus an unknown. Please explain how some nobody is a better option than a guy at the very least will continue to develop our young guys games? The only reasoning i can see is Monty hurt you ( by losing ) and you want to hurt him back .

the guys are playing bad no doubt, but there's not movement out there and its a coaches job to instill motivation & energy in his guys to do stuff like cut to the basket, buy into team ball, etc. I question Monty as a motivator. He needs to show he trusts his guys. Look at Xavier out there when he knows he's not gonna get yanked when he makes a mistake and feels that he has a chance.

Someone mentioned Stan Van Gundy. I love that idea. Guy knows how to develop a big man and can help scorers get their points too. He did a great job all getting Nelson, Hedo, Anderson & Rashard looks. He's a no BS coach that got turned into the villain because of Dwight who people now realize is just going to have conflict with pretty much every coach he has.

It may be short term solution, but teams come out fired up after a coach firing whether it's the coaches fault or not

Here are my questions and observations in reference to Monty's coaching:

When is it ever good to run more set plays for J Smith than AD and Gordon?
    Wouldn't the money spent on Evans have been better used on a Javale McGee or a dynamic SF?
    Why isn't Evans the primary ball handler with the 2nd unit?
    Why does Monty have rotations that have no scorers in them?
    Why does Monty ice his own players just to keep his rotation schedule in tact?
    Why build your team with up tempo players and not use them in that capacity? (see Aminu/AD fast break dunks)
    Why aren't the Pels on the phone looking for a center? last night shows why Davis shouldn't be counted on as our center.
    Why aren't Gordon or AD on the court at all times?
    Why are the SF's (no matter which one is in the game) always standing around on offense?
    If the defensive rotations are always bad no matter who is in the game, maybe it's not the players.
    Why aren't there more back door cuts for lobs to AD/Aminu our 2 most athletic players?

I could keep going but I'm tired of typing....

Last rant, Dell needs to hire an offensive minded consultant to help his boy Monty out. My best option would be to hire a head coach and make Monty the assistant but Monty would never do that.
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 11-13-2013 at 08:56 AM.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    When is it ever good to run more set plays for J Smith than AD and Gordon?
    I'm not seeing set plays for Jason Smith, i'm seeing the defense react and deciding to leave Jason Smith open and us passing to the open man.

Wouldn't the money spent on Evans have been better used on a Javale McGee or a dynamic SF?
    McGee was averaging 7 and 3.5 rebounds and a block per game before getting injured. Not stellar. I'd much rather Tyreke even with his terrible start. He wasn't a free agent. So who talent would you have given up for him?

A dynamic SF? There were none in FA except maybe Iggy and who knows if he wanted to sign here. Again, what talent are you giving up for said dynamic SF? I swear if you say Austin Rivers i will imagine pistol whipping you.

Why isn't Evans the primary ball handler with the 2nd unit?
    Good question, but i see him getting the ball plenty enough for the P&R or Iso.

Why does Monty have rotations that have no scorers in them?
    His second rotation is with Roberts and Evans. The assumption is Roberts is a "scoring" pg and Evans is a scorer. Also imagine Ryno in the rotation and i think this becomes a little less of a question.

Why does Monty ice his own players just to keep his rotation schedule in tact?
    Some players play better knowing when they'll be in the game and when they won't. I'd assume young players need that structure which is why he's doing it.

Why build your team with up tempo players and not use them in that capacity? (see Aminu/AD fast break dunks)
    I think we need to push the pace more as well. Our set offense isn't good and may as well attack with the defense not set.

Why aren't the Pels on the phone looking for a center? last night shows why Davis shouldn't be counted on as our center.
    Who? Who on the market would be better than who we have ? a 55 year old Mutumbo?

Why aren't Gordon or AD on the court at all times?
    I'd like to see this as well.

Why are the SF's (no matter which one is in the game) always standing around on offense?
    Basketball IQ or lack there of. That was Tyreke's major complaint. He either needs to play point or he needs to learn to cut.

If the defensive rotations are always bad no matter who is in the game, maybe it's not the players.
    Takes time.

Why aren't there more back door cuts for lobs to AD/Aminu our 2 most athletic players?
    Everyone sags off of Aminu, hard to do a backdoor cut when the guy is playing 10 feet off of you. AD, well everyone has eyes on him.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The way people are slobbering over a bunch of Diaper Dandies™, you'd think keeping the worst coach in the history of coaches is for the best. Our pick was protected and we won't win another game so...score!

Then we can lose next season and every season after that until the team is nothing but lottery picks!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The way people are slobbering over a bunch of Diaper Dandies™, you'd think keeping the worst coach in the history of coaches is for the best. Our pick was protected and we won't win another game so...score!

Then we can lose next season and every season after that until the team is nothing but lottery picks!
    WE'RE GOING TO GET JRUE AND WIGGINS

give monty this full season and judge him after that! mc namara is right, if you fire monty now, an assistant coach would take over, which would not be any better! plus this team is young and a lot of them are new to the system, so give them time!

and i can not understand why people want george karl to be our headcoach! really?? he has no trust in young players or rookies and is a terrible playoff coach! have you watched denver in the playoffs when karl stuck on playing andre miller 30+ minutes who got killed every single trip by curry or any other guard because he couldnt defend anything? i pass

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Writings on the wall

No no no. Unless you're nominating him for tank commander, this is a horrible idea.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimeTimeNOLA View Post
    I have been reading this forum for awhile and just decided to post. I really appreciate the insight and information a lot you all present. Many of you are very informative bunch. However, i don't honestly see how anyone can blame all of this on Monty. I mean if you saying Hey he has the talent he should be able to turn it around. I mean if talent should dictate instant results then what is Brooklyn excuse they have 5 all-stars as their starting line and at least 2 Hall of Famers, and they are struggling. Memphis is 3-4, to the poster who said Boston is playing so good, they are 4-4, Denver is 2-5, Chicago is 3-3. I mean really with our team its going to take time. We couldn't even get our rotation ironed out because of injury. This isn't 2K when you can just hit the reset button when things are going bad or you are losing. This is real life. And it takes time to build Chemistry. Now i do believe that Monty could improve on somethings; Yes i do. With this Microwave society of instant gratification if we didn't start out hot i knew ppl here would be calling for Monty to get fired. I mean the guy was selected as one of the assists of USA Basketball. One of the reason why is because Coach K wants this next run of USA players to have a defense of mindset. Which why they selected 2 of the best coaches in the business in that area. Monty and Tom. All I'm saying is just give it to Dec or Jan to look at the overall picture. That should be a good representation. Heck, DelL thought it may take a yr before we see the fruits of this team. So just give it time. Besides MM is right? You are not going to get a quote unquote good coach to come in without a training to camp to implement their philosophy.
    None of that matters. We are losing NOW. It doesn't matter that LeBron is upset at his team's defense and calling them out in public. Doesn't matter that a lot of teams poised to dominate are starting slowly. WE are LOSING right NOW. To teams we should beat. So obviously it means we will never beat any other teams we should beat or teams we shouldn't beat anyway. The only solution is the fire everything pronto and have estalished coaches come in and wave their magic wands and fix everything.

This isn't some problem that we only need more time to get by. Or a long-term process. We have to be as good NOW as we will ever be or none of the trades or draft picks were worth anything!

people really want AVERY JOHNSON? there are so many better options

None of that matters. We are losing NOW. It doesn't matter that LeBron is upset at his team's defense and calling them out in public. Doesn't matter that a lot of teams poised to dominate are starting slowly. WE are LOSING right NOW. To teams we should beat. So obviously it means we will never beat any other teams we should beat or teams we shouldn't beat anyway. The only solution is the fire everything pronto and have estalished coaches come in and wave their magic wands and fix everything.

This isn't some problem that we only need more time to get by. Or a long-term process. We have to be as good NOW as we will ever be or none of the trades or draft picks were worth anything!
    My question is, who said we "should beat" anyone? Are we still going off that espy power ranking ?

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    I swear if you say Austin Rivers i will imagine pistol whipping you.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Who? Who on the market would be better than who we have ? a 55 year old Mutumbo?
    What a great idea.

He's actually only 47 years old, 7'2", and the dude has a 99 Block and Low Post Defense rating in 2K so you know he's a beast. Make it happen Demps.

Oh, I forgot the new popular opinion is that Dell is a bad GM, so he'd probably never have the foresight for such a brilliant signing.
    Last edited by SeaLegs; 11-13-2013 at 10:45 AM.

The Sky is falling!! The Sky is falling!! We lost 5 games to start the season, ohhh nooo. We are sooooo terrible. It's all Monty and Dells fault.

Yall whine more than my third grade class. We have literally played like 9% of our games. The season is 82 games long. Everyone here needs to cool it. We lost a couple of games and what? Monty needs to be fired, Dell needs to be fired? We need to trade away Jrue or Tyreke or Gordon? It's unbelievable. When the big three were formed in Miami the first month they posted a record of 10-8. Sure thats not a bad record, its a winning record. But in the losses they looked pretty bad. IT TAKES TIME. let me repeat that (for the thousandth time) IT TAKES TIME. All of this fire Monty and fire Dell stuff needs to stop. I am pretty new to this site. But there is no way that yall can tell me that you were complaining about the moves that Dell made in the offseason then.

We hit a little bit of a speed bump and everyone starts jumping off the ledge? Give them time. We have the youngest team in the NBA and we probably had the most turnover in the NBA. Only a handful of teams have as many new faces as we do. Not to mention we don't even have a fully healthy team. Tyreke's ankle, Darius Miller, Ryno, now Steimsma.
    Go get another Job somewhere and then tell me how long it takes you to get into a good flow and to know how your co-workers operate and how they like their memos typed up or their coffee a certain way. I can guarantee that it takes you more than two weeks to get it all down. So relax with all this fire Monty stuff.

Any team can win on any given night, the celtics and sixers beat the heat. Sure we lost to a couple of teams, but we blew out the Grizzlies and I dunno if you remember but they happened to make it pretty deep into the playoffs last year. We also probably got the closest to beating the Pacers who look like the best team in the NBA right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaLegs View Post

What a great idea.

He's actually only 47 years old, 7'2", and the dude has a 99 Block and Low Post Defense rating in 2K so you know he's a beast. Make it happen Demps.

Oh, I forgot the new popular opinion is that Dell is a bad GM, so he'd probably never have the foresight for such a brilliant signing.
    People seem to think that because they can make some clever trades in 2k (even though computer GMS in 2k are absolutely horrible) that they can be a better GM than Dell.

What I don't understand is why Monty chooses to run the offense through Jason Smith and let him take a jump shot every possession instead of getting the Morrow more often, Morrow shoots lights out

Firing Monty will not solve much. The team has 0 chemistry. How many people are returning from last year? Like 5? If that? They need to build chemistry up. The team is also young so having a guy like Monty in, who is a young guy also that demands respect, is great. Stop riding off of so much emotions people. It is like 8 games in the season. There still is plenty of basketball left to play. Rome wasn't build in a day and this future dynasty won't be build in a couple basketball games.
    Follow me on Twitter: @WeAreSX2

We need to give Morrow more shots

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    The Sky is falling!! The Sky is falling!! We lost 5 games to start the season, ohhh nooo. We are sooooo terrible. It's all Monty and Dells fault.

Yall whine more than my third grade class. We have literally played like 9% of our games. The season is 82 games long. Everyone here needs to cool it. We lost a couple of games and what? Monty needs to be fired, Dell needs to be fired? We need to trade away Jrue or Tyreke or Gordon? It's unbelievable. When the big three were formed in Miami the first month they posted a record of 10-8. Sure thats not a bad record, its a winning record. But in the losses they looked pretty bad. IT TAKES TIME. let me repeat that (for the thousandth time) IT TAKES TIME. All of this fire Monty and fire Dell stuff needs to stop. I am pretty new to this site. But there is no way that yall can tell me that you were complaining about the moves that Dell made in the offseason then.

We hit a little bit of a speed bump and everyone starts jumping off the ledge? Give them time. We have the youngest team in the NBA and we probably had the most turnover in the NBA. Only a handful of teams have as many new faces as we do. Not to mention we don't even have a fully healthy team. Tyreke's ankle, Darius Miller, Ryno, now Steimsma.
    Go get another Job somewhere and then tell me how long it takes you to get into a good flow and to know how your co-workers operate and how they like their memos typed up or their coffee a certain way. I can guarantee that it takes you more than two weeks to get it all down. So relax with all this fire Monty stuff.
    THANK YOU lol

Quote Originally Posted by bberg25 View Post
    We need to give Morrow more shots
    This is something that I can finally agree with Morrow def needs to get more looks.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowofSX2 View Post
    Firing Monty will not solve much. The team has 0 chemistry. How many people are returning from last year? Like 5? If that? They need to build chemistry up. The team is also young so having a guy like Monty in, who is a young guy also that demands respect, is great. Stop riding off of so much emotions people. It is like 8 games in the season. There still is plenty of basketball left to play. Rome wasn't build in a day and this future dynasty won't be build in a couple basketball games.
    Preach!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    Preach!
    It's crazy. People are basing everything off of emotions too much. Yes there are some troubles going on but firing a coach will not help this team. It'd be different it it was a team who's been together for a while and filled with Veterans. This team is a bunch of 20 something year olds still learning how to play. In a couple weeks whenever we finally have the chemistry, people will be praising Benson again for the extension they gave Monty and Dell.

Thread Information