Pelicans Report

Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 1505

Thread: Official Fire Monty Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I think the staff is doing it right with Withey. The kid has potential... he's showing it more and more with the amount of minutes he's getting. He'll continue to develop for the rest of these games, and they have said that Jeff will stay in new Orleans and work this summer.

So he'll get bigger... stronger... gain more confidence. This approach worked with AD. Not saying the 2 players are on the same level, but let the kid grow. I think he'll be our opening night starting center.
    Unless we keep Steamer.

I agree. I think this last part of the season we will see a heavy dose of Withey, and we will get a glimpse as to what we can expect from him next season. Looking at his PER (which I know isn't a HR.com favorite) it's 4th among all rookies, and is less than a point away from Roy Hibbert.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 04-01-2014 at 09:47 AM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Unless we keep Steamer.

Steamer is turble.

Am I one of the only ones who thinks that monty's minute allotment to our young guys is close to spot on for their development? I always see people yelling for austin, withey, and even miller to get more playing time on here, but why would we risk their development on a broken season? now that the season is basically over I think we'll see more games like yesterday where withey is given the chance to play more than ajinca and steamer, but for the most part I think he has brought the two along well. If you just look at the monthly averages of Rivers you can see the steady improvement:
    Nov - 9.7mins, 42.9%, .9rebs, 1.3asts, 3.7pts
    Dec - 14.5mins, 34%, 1reb, .5asts, 4.8pts
    Jan - 19.8mins, 41.2%, 1.5rebs, 2.3asts, 7.8pts
    Feb - 19.4mins, 35.6%, 2.2rebs, 2.2asts, 7.2pts
    THIS MONTH - 23.1mins, 45.5%!!, 1.7rebs, 3.1asts, 10.3pts
    not to mention the defensive improvements, however he still shoots only 40.7% from the field on the year, and 64.7% from the line, he still has a ways to go. After last year it was pretty obvious that he was not one to throw into the fire to figure it out, and this year he has managed to double his PER and we haven't heard much talk about the worst rookie season ever that he had, just quiet improvement.

A lot of people scream for Withey to get more minutes simply because Ajinca, and to a larger extent Steamer, kinda suck. But on many occasions where Withey has played extended minutes he looks lost out there(while there have been times he looks really good as well) and monty can probably see that better than us, but I would not want to have another one of our young players have his confidence set back like River's was last year, I think we would have seen a lot more of this month's Rivers this year had he not had to fight back from such a confidence killer as having one of the worst rookie seasons. I think the slower approach is better for both these guys.

Dmiller I think doesn't really have much of future besides at end of the bench. But this is just me, and I'm ok with being cautious with/tracking their development because players like roberts and steamer are not long for this team. I trust that our coaching staff will know when there guys are ready for bigger roles. I think Monty at least got that right with Davis, last year he brought him along slowly and he still managed to get injured quite a few times, but Monty protected him until he thought Davis was ready, and we saw that at the end of last season he started to take the reigns off and look at the successful jump Davis made this season. Look at Rivers, especially this month, I think Monty knows when these guys are ready for bigger roles and tries to bring them along a little at a time as they are able.

Do other people follow this line of thinking?
    never assume

Seems about right. Monty is the 19th best coach.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...nkings-coaches

Mark Jackson, Kevin McHale, and Dwane Casey are all too high. Mike Malone is too low.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Seems about right. Monty is the 19th best coach.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...nkings-coaches
    It's a bit sad that we were runner-up for Thibs. Going from our 19/30 ranked Monty to second-ranked Thibs would be a difference of 56.7% -- a pretty large disparity for what was essentially the difference between our #1 and #2 candidates, and even though we knew at the time Thibs was a better choice, I don't think anyone here projected that he'd be considered the best coach in the league behind Pop after only 3 seasons.

He has done a remarkable job in Chicago (can't say anything less than that). If his teams had a franchise pg, or even an above avg. pg they would be unstoppable. I wonder why he hasn't made a play for Rondo.

To think that guys like terry stotts, Jeff hornacek, Steve Clifford, Brad Stevens, Dwane Casey, Kevin McHale, Mike budenholzer, David joerger, and Jason Kidd are all considered better coaches than Monty is pretty depressing. With Stevens, Kidd, budenholzer, being the most depressing. I thought Monty was thought of as one of the brighter minds and better young coaches in the nba? Sorry, but to put those names I listed. Especially those 3 speaks volume to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    To think that guys like terry stotts, Jeff hornacek, Steve Clifford, Brad Stevens, Dwane Casey, Kevin McHale, Mike budenholzer, David joerger, and Jason Kidd are all considered better coaches than Monty is pretty depressing. With Stevens, Kidd, budenholzer, being the most depressing. I thought Monty was thought of as one of the brighter minds and better young coaches in the nba? Sorry, but to put those names I listed. Especially those 3 speaks volume to me.
    All these coaches you mention are in their first years as a head coach.
    Even Monty had a good year in first season.

Let's see what these guy's do next year and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    A lot of these guys have better rosters. Outside out of AD, this team is filled with average players. It's not an excuse but just the truth. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even at full strength, this team won't make it out of the 1st round.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    A lot of these guys have better rosters. Outside out of AD, this team is filled with average players. It's not an excuse but just the truth. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even at full strength, this team won't make it out of the 1st round.
    I beg to differ but we shall see next year.

Just agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    All these coaches you mention are in their first years as a head coach.
    Even Monty had a good year in first season.

Let's see what these guy's do next year and beyond.
    Yea I know that and that's my point. For them to already be considered better coaches is ridiculous.

I disagree on the talent, but that's disregarding injuries. Gordon (until recent) and Evans have been pretty healthy, but I would agree that at this point Gordon is just an average player. Evans is very good, but seems to play to the talent with him. The better supporting cast the better he is.

Even though I'm on the bandwagon on getting a new coach, I do think it's ridiculous to consider all those 1st year coaches better than Monty Williams already. Maybe a few, but certainly not most or all. We all thought Monty was great after what he did his first year. I'm just not sure the talent fits his system at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I beg to differ but we shall see next year.
    Which top 4 western conference team would a healthy Pels roster beat in a 5 or 7 game series?

Spurs? Nope
    clips? Nope
    OKC? Nope
    Houston? nope

Which top 4 western conference team would a healthy Pels roster beat in a 5 or 7 game series?

Spurs? Nope
    clips? Nope
    OKC? Nope
    Houston? nope
    I am not a huge fan of our current roster in terms of championship material but I think it all really depends on how well Anthony Davis progresses.

If he becomes a legit top 3 talent in the league I could see us taking out an aging spurs team in a couple years and the clippers if we acquire a few more solid role players, one more high level player and Jrue, Ryno, and Tyreke continue to progress.

Spurs? Nope
    clips? Nope
    OKC? Nope
    Houston? nope
    I think Spurs drop off after this year. Clips I don't think there's a chance because Doc is practically training Monty, advantage to Doc. OKC I think is unlikely too. I honestly think when healthy we match up well against Houston.

But that's assuming those will be the top 4 teams next year. Injuries and everything else play too big of a role in seeding. What is OKC without Durant? Spurs if Duncan and crew retire or simply start aging again? If Harden isn't playing in Houston are they still a top 4?

I simply feel there's too much random chance to think that our team with its top 4 players are unable to get past a round one EVER. Keep in mind Houston, OKC, Clips are built. They are basically what they are going to be. I see us having far more room for not only growth but in adding another piece.

Not necessarily a fan of getting rid of Monty, but what about going after John Calipari to come coach AD and the Pels?

Quote Originally Posted by phatcaz View Post
    Not necessarily a fan of getting rid of Monty, but what about going after John Calipari to come coach AD and the Pels?
    Why would he leave college basketball to get paid potentially less and have to put up with overpaid and at times difficult NBA players?
    He is getting 5M+ incentives to coach likeable kids.....no way he gets that much in the NBA when Pop only gets 6M.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 04-09-2014 at 01:56 AM.

They were discussing on ESPN if he should go to the Lakers. If he's interested in leaving Kentucky for the NBA, why wouldnt he want to come coach one of the leagues best and his former star in AD. Not to mention, when we get out of this EG contract, he's already coached half the league at Memphis and Kentucky and could attract another star to reunite in NOLA

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    You're right about the top four in the West, but it's not up for debate whether or not Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, and Ryan Anderson are above average or not. They all are. Eric Gordon is debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    You're right about the top four in the West, but it's not up for debate whether or not Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, and Ryan Anderson are above average or not. They all are. Eric Gordon is debatable.
    Agree.

No thank you on Calipari.

Draft Pick
    KCL you said it right Karl is a good coach for an established but unsound team. The guy pulled great play from mellow and that says a lot but you are 100% right he is not a teacher he is a seller of a system. Not a coach you want running a team in its early 20's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by phatcaz View Post
    If Calipari were such a good coach he'd have a lot more to show with all the talent he's had. His biggest skill is his recruiting, a talent that doesn't really apply well to the NBA. If you're going the college route you need to get a coach that's known for being a tactician, not one that is the best at recruiting every year.

Thread Information