Pelicans Report

Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1505

Thread: Official Fire Monty Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Not necessarily, but Holiday isn't as great as advertised and he's making over 10 million a year. His basic numbers in Philly were good, but his efficiency was awful overall. Bad shooting numbers due to taking bad mid-range jumpers, high turnover rate, and not that great of a passer. I like his age and upside and his defense for sure, but I don't think he's worth his current contract and wasn't playing that well this season when healthy.
    I disagree, and I'll bring some actual numbers to the arguement:

Before Jrue got hurt, his Month of December was very nice. 5 Double-Doubles, scored in double digits all but 1 game, had some monster games like the win against Portland where he went for 31 pts, 7 reb, 13 ast, 1 blk, 1 stl.

PPG 16.3
    REB 4.6
    AST 9.0
    STL 1.4
    TO 2.8

Next, Jrue is making 9.2 Million this year. For reference,

Ty Lawson - 10.7M
    Steve Nash - 9.3M
    Jameer Nelson - 8.6M
    Rodney Stuckey - 8.5M
    George Hill - 8M

I'd say Jrue's contract is fair and even on the "good" side.

Jrue's AST/TO Ratio is pretty much identical to Tony Parker, Lillard, Rondo, and Deron Williams. That can be improved and probably will be improved when he and AD get the PnR down to a science.

He is also 7th in the league(guards only) for AST%. He assisted on 35% of all Pelicans buckets when he is on the court. Chris Paul is like 50% and ROndo at 43%, but we are not looking for the next Paul or Rondo.

TL;DR I think you are way off based in saying Holiday is over paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    I disagree, and I'll bring some actual numbers to the arguement:

Before Jrue got hurt, his Month of December was very nice. 5 Double-Doubles, scored in double digits all but 1 game, had some monster games like the win against Portland where he went for 31 pts, 7 reb, 13 ast, 1 blk, 1 stl.

PPG 16.3
    REB 4.6
    AST 9.0
    STL 1.4
    TO 2.8

Next, Jrue is making 9.2 Million this year. For reference,

Ty Lawson - 10.7M
    Steve Nash - 9.3M
    Jameer Nelson - 8.6M
    Rodney Stuckey - 8.5M
    George Hill - 8M

I'd say Jrue's contract is fair and even on the "good" side.

Jrue's AST/TO Ratio is pretty much identical to Tony Parker, Lillard, Rondo, and Deron Williams. That can be improved and probably will be improved when he and AD get the PnR down to a science.

He is also 7th in the league(guards only) for AST%. He assisted on 35% of all Pelicans buckets when he is on the court. Chris Paul is like 50% and ROndo at 43%, but we are not looking for the next Paul or Rondo.

TL;DR I think you are way off based in saying Holiday is over paid.
    I agree completely. Holiday is in no way over paid. He may be a little over hyped on this board tho. He's on a very good contract for the next 4 years. That's the thing that is so great IMO. He still has loads of potential and will only get better. Good comparisons to those other guys. I'm not the biggest holiday fan myself but his contract is a good one and I think that's a no brainer IMO. The things I'd like more of from him. I think will come with time on the court with Davis.
    Last edited by kclaboy504; 02-26-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The Nets were much better after he left? When he was fired they were .500, they finished the season with a .598 record and are worse this year than when they fired Avery. Dallas greatly upgraded? Avery's win % was .767 with them. They haven't hit .700 once since he was fired.
    Yea he was well above average with the mavericks.

If this game doesn't get Monty fired then idk what does.

There's absolutely no defense for this atrocity. The man deserves to be fired immediately.

Monty is going no where. Im telling u guys. Don't let this game get your hopes up. Monty is locked I place.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

My Under 12's basketball team that I coach plays better defense then we do at times. Shambolic really.

We all knew this was going to be bad, I don't know what some of you were expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We all knew this was going to be bad, I don't know what some of you were expecting.
    Why is Gordon and Evans and Jrue having the worst seasons of their career when they are meant to be peaking? Why is half our team injured, why is Davis not even getting many touches, why is Roberts clocking up the most minutes out of the team on most nights??
    We all expected this? really?

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Why is Gordon and Evans and Jrue having the worst seasons of their career when they are meant to be peaking? Why is half our team injured, why is Davis not even getting many touches, why is Roberts clocking up the most minutes out of the team on most nights??
    We all expected this? really?
    Um. I was talking about those who were using this game as a reason to fire Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Monty is going no where. Im telling u guys. Don't let this game get your hopes up. Monty is locked I place.
    Been saying this since December...

I didn't see the game guys I was out and forgot to set the DVR. I see we got smashed by 30, and Austin had 19 and Reke went for 20. What happened in the game that warranted bumping this ridiculous thread?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

I didn't see the game guys I was out and forgot to set the DVR. I see we got smashed by 30, and Austin had 19 and Reke went for 20. What happened in the game that warranted bumping this ridiculous thread?
    What happened is our Coach is a freaking joke...but half the fans on this board are too blind and too biased towards the Pelicans organization too see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Tech View Post
    What happened is our Coach is a freaking joke...but half the fans on this board are too blind and too biased towards the Pelicans organization too see it.
    I think most fans here see it (even MM agrees with it now) but there are a few that don't. My questions is why? Are they trying to look smarter than others? if so than i am sorry but it ain't working

Ridiculous thread? no, this is the most important thread

the fact that monty keeps playing roberts as the starting point guard is really making me mad. it is not that it is ruining rivers but it is ruining tyreke IMO. why did we actually get tyreke? to play small forward? he is not a small forward at all too me, having him at this position hurts him and the team. i think tyreke should start as a point guard. having gordon at shooting guard and some one who can shoot at sf (miller?) would work much better than roberts, gordon, tyreke or roberts, gordon, aminu

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    I think most fans here see it (even MM agrees with it now) but there are a few that don't. My questions is why? Are they trying to look smarter than others? if so than i am sorry but it ain't working
    My point all along hasn't changed... whether I, or you or anybody want Monty gone or not is irrelevant. He's gonna get a pass for this season because of the injuries (and his shiny new contract). Ever since CP3 and DW left he's had an excuse, and this season he's had more of an excuse due to all the injuries regardless of his love for Robert or his questionable rotations.

But keep calling the dude an idiot and whatever if that helps y'all sleep at night. The sooner you realize he's here for at least another season (barring any more excuses next season)... the sooner folks will stop bumping this thread. You're delusional if you think Benson is gonna fire Monty after this season.

Jim Haslett didn't get a pass during the Katrina season. If Benson wants a new coach, we'll have a new coach.

I have never been on the 'Fire Monty' train as much as I have been on the 'Hire Shaka' train. Been there since November.

I don't think Monty is terrible, I just don't think he is elite, while I think Shaka, Hoiberg, and maybe even Fizdale could be elite. Stan Van Gundy too.

I guess you do have to Fire Monty to hire one of those guys, but it is more about adding a possible elite coach than about firing a terrible one in my eyes.
    @mcnamara247

My point all along hasn't changed... whether I, or you or anybody want Monty gone or not is irrelevant. He's gonna get a pass for this season because of the injuries (and his shiny new contract). Ever since CP3 and DW left he's had an excuse, and this season he's had more of an excuse due to all the injuries regardless of his love for Robert or his questionable rotations.

But keep calling the dude an idiot and whatever if that helps y'all sleep at night. The sooner you realize he's here for at least another season (barring any more excuses next season)... the sooner folks will stop bumping this thread. You're delusional if you think Benson is gonna fire Monty after this season.
    Really starting to wonder why you feel like you have to post basically this same exact thing every week. I have to assume that perhaps you suffer from some sort of selective amnesia. This thread gets bumped because people need to vent. If we keep losing badly, it will, and should, keep getting bumped.

And we get it. You think Monty is coming back for another year. Thank you. We don't need your weekly update that never changes after every bad loss.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I have never been on the 'Fire Monty' train as much as I have been on the 'Hire Shaka' train. Been there since November.

I don't think Monty is terrible, I just don't think he is elite, while I think Shaka, Hoiberg, and maybe even Fizdale could be elite. Stan Van Gundy too.

I guess you do have to Fire Monty to hire one of those guys, but it is more about adding a possible elite coach than about firing a terrible one in my eyes.
    It all evens out to the same thing in the end.

You talk like Monty Williams is one of the highest paid coaches in the NBA. Maurice Cheeks just got fired 50 games into his first year as Pistons head coach. What the hell makes you think Monty Williams is just so untouchable? I mean you talk like it cost more to pay the coach than the actual players on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
    Really starting to wonder why you feel like you have to post basically this same exact thing every week. I have to assume that perhaps you suffer from some sort of selective amnesia. This thread gets bumped because people need to vent. If we keep losing badly, it will, and should, keep getting bumped.

And we get it. You think Monty is coming back for another year. Thank you. We don't need your weekly update that never changes after every bad loss.
    dude this thread is 48 pages of redundancy, why does everyone feel the need post the exact same fire monty posts, they are all the same
    Last edited by jgman; 03-02-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Jim Haslett didn't get a pass during the Katrina season. If Benson wants a new coach, we'll have a new coach.
    True story. As a matter of fact, minus the cheerleader scandal, Haslett and Monty have eerily similar coaching careers so far. Make the playoffs the first year, since then live off of hype of the first year, will this season for Monty (with all the injuries) be like Katrina was for Haslett?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    dude this thread is 48 pages of redundancy, why does everyone feel the need post the exact same fire monty posts, they are all the same
    Couple reasons. First, we keep losing. lol

Second, I think most probably realize that Monty's coming back, so this thread is partly fueled on by that frustration.

And as fans, we like to think our voices are heard, somehow. Some probably view this thread as their only way of letting the FO know how much they think Monty sucks, no matter how useless that may be.

Like I said, I view this as a vent thread more than one built for discussion, so those trying to constantly talk people down in here are likely wasting their time, and really, telling someone who thinks Monty sucks that he's coming back over and over again is tantamount to trolling. Don't want to see people complain about Monty, don't open a Monty complaints thread.

I'm tired of hearing this narrative on this board that Monty Williams contract is more important than the overall success of the Pelicans franchise. Dude probably not even making more than $2 million a year but that same $2 million a year (according to some folks on here) prohibits the head brass from canning an individual in charge of a team that clearly isn't headed in the direction of being successful under this individual's stewardship. There's absolutely NO positives keeping Monty Williams as head coach of this franchise.
    Last edited by Basketball Nate; 03-02-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Thread Information