Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fire Monty Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
    And Brees got paid, handsomely. So what's your point. Benson is not making midnight calls to Loomis telling him how much he can offer Graham. Come on now.

Go on Airline Drive tomorrow and ask them who runs the show. Benson is the boss. Also where did I say Benson makes calls at midnight? Though some of you are hoping he made that call to fire Monty.
    Last edited by PowerPel; 11-13-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Personally, I think anybody who thinks we could get Hollins or Karl or Van Gundy, etc. THIS YEAR, is living in a dream world. Good, veteran coaches want a training camp to implement their system. Only way you get a big name who can actually coach after the season has already started is if you are a contender or in a big market throwing around big bucks.

Don't believe me? Go find me examples of good, proven coaches who went to a non-contending, small market team after the season already started.

Not an option.
    i dont want to give anyone false hope because it most likely will not happen but george karl actually took over the nuggets job midseason and went 32-8 as coach...maybe he does it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Tech View Post
    Id rather lose with an crappy interim coach for just the remainder of the season than lose with Monty.
    See, this is a fair statement to make. If this is how people feel, fine.

But this idea that we will fire him and get Karl or Van Gundy, etc this year and turn it all around is just fantasy land.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPel View Post
    Go on Airline Drive tomorrow and ask them who runs the show. Benson is the boss.
    He's not directly involved in contract negotiations. Contracts are why he hired Loomis in the first place. Please stop.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeymaster View Post
    Karl has always coached relatively small market teams; Seattle, Milwaukee, Denver. So I don't think he would have a problem coaching in N.O. especially when we potentially have a transcendent player in Austin Rivers.
    Karl was also absolutely enamored with Davis earlier this season when he was sitting on the round table of the nba preview shows for each team. Calling Davis essentially the next great player in this league and how incredible he is, just a dream player for a coach etc. Just piling it on.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Karl was also absolutely enamored with Davis earlier this season when he was sitting on the round table of the nba preview shows for each team. Calling Davis essentially the next great player in this league and how incredible he is, just a dream player for a coach etc. Just piling it on.
    I still maintain, despite Michael's convincing arguments to the contrary, that AD is a hell of a lure for a coach like Karl. It's players like AD that smart coaches try to hitch their bandwagons to.

At this point I'd rather take a shot in the dark with an unproven assistant than continue to watch the same issues night in and night out. Look at I believe it was the 03' Nets who fired Byron Scott early to mid-way through the year and promoted Lawrence Frank to interim coach and he ended up getting the team to play really well that year and ended up being hired as their full time HC. I know that scenario isn't likely to happen again and as time has passed Lawrence Frank hasn't become the next Gregg Popavich but it's better than watching Monty look clueless in terrible suits on the sideline (seriously the man can't even dress himself in respectable way and we expect him to be able to manage a group of 25 year olds).
    If you will excuse me, I have to go return some video tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    i dont want to give anyone false hope because it most likely will not happen but george karl actually took over the nuggets job midseason and went 32-8 as coach...maybe he does it again?
    He had a full season and a half off from coaching to recharge prior to that and he got paid well for that time period. Was a top 8 paid coach.

But there are some similarities - Melo was a blossoming star in his second year. Biggest difference, though, is that team had some vets so Karl probably knew they can pick up his system on the fly. Camby, who was 30. Kenyon Martin, Andre Miller, etc.

That's not saying much about Karl because I'm sure there are lots of guys that would love to coach AD. Of course he was enamored with him.

Karl has always coached relatively small market teams; Seattle, Milwaukee, Denver. So I don't think he would have a problem coaching in N.O. especially when we potentially have a transcendent player in Austin Rivers.

But if that Knicks job comes open

At this point I'd rather take a shot in the dark with an unproven assistant than continue to watch the same issues night in and night out. Look at I believe it was the 03' Nets who fired Byron Scott early to mid-way through the year and promoted Lawrence Frank to interim coach and he ended up getting the team to play really well that year and ended up being hired as their full time HC. I know that scenario isn't likely to happen again and as time has passed Lawrence Frank hasn't become the next Gregg Popavich but it's better than watching Monty look clueless in terrible suits on the sideline (seriously the man can't even dress himself in respectable way and we expect him to be able to manage a group of 25 year olds).
    His suit tonight was great though. He's a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Trust me, I know - I brought it up on several occassions before the season started and way back three weeks ago when the majority of people still loved Monty.

But he also said that he was just completely done after last season. Exhausted beyond belief.

Dont think he would come back this year and put in all the extra effort to fix something on the fly. Next summer, maybe. But honestly, I would prefer to find a long term solution, not a stop gap.

Go all in on Shaka Smart!

True or False

Avery Johnson has a Saints SB ring?

Something to think about?

Trust me, I know - I brought it up on several occassions before the season started and way back three weeks ago when the majority of people still loved Monty.

But he also said that he was just completely done after last season. Exhausted beyond belief.

Dont think he would come back this year and put in all the extra effort to fix something on the fly. Next summer, maybe. But honestly, I would prefer to find a long term solution, not a stop gap.

Shart for Smart?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Tech View Post
    Id rather lose with an crappy interim coach for just the remainder of the season than lose with Monty.
    Count me in this crowd. I am tired of no energy/passion, the same excuses and mistakes, and the poor rotations/use of players.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 11-13-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Shart for Smart?
    hahahahahaahah
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

True or False

Avery Johnson has a Saints SB ring?

Something to think about?
    But why is this a good thing? Avery Johnson has been a running joke on this board for years. People were terrified when we even granted him an interview 3+ years ago for our HC position.

Whats the rush? Why just settle? Again, so many candidates become available in May or June that arent available now. Do it right.

But if that Knicks job comes open
    Why the heck would he want to get tangled up with Carmello again???

Frankly if we don't start turning it around soon I just want us to tank and try and get a top 5 pick.

Karl can start summer. That's fine.

And I'm ok with a short term fix if its a fix that puts us on the right path. I mean obviously if the perfect long term solution at coach comes available you take it but I could think of a lot worse coaches to have for a couple seasons to build a winning foundation for a team. Karl has a knack for making playoff teams and if he can do that I'll take it. Davis is and will always be the difference between us reaching a finals or not IMO.

Hire Alvin Gentry for the rest of the season, at least the team would be fun to watch. Hopefully Monty wakes up with Pierre the Pelicans head in his bead tomorrow morning.

I guess the FO just has to decide if keeping Monty for the whole season has a negative impact on the franchise even outside of the win/loss column.

One thing we all seem to agree on is that something has to be done about Monty. I'm a Monty supporter and now I seem to be saying this too. Is this normal? Maybe we need to sleep on this?

I guess the FO just has to decide if keeping Monty for the whole season has a negative impact on the franchise even outside of the win/loss column.
    It should new franchise and a city ready to support them dealing with the same problems pushes the fan base away

Anthony Morrow has been playing 20 minutes a game. He is shooting 63% from three. Yet his teammates aren't looking for him.
    Unless Monty is saying "Don't give the ball to Morrow" then that is on the players.
    If Monty fails to notice that Morrow is being denied open looks while shooting so well, then that's on Monty but no one here knows, and no one here has any power to do anything about it.
    Boomshakalaka

I agree as well, I think there needs to be a poll. I'm sure the guys over at BSS will be as silent as ever though on the team's coaching problems.
    It seems you just don't read articles, listen to podcasts, read twitter feeds, etc. No wonder the site seems silent.

Or, maybe data, logic, and the like somehow don't count.

Which is it?

I remember talking coaching issues PRIOR to the season and wrote about coaching staff changes that were meeded momths ago myself, jist to name two things off the top of my head, so the contemt is there and has been there.

Thread Information