Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fire Monty Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    None of what you said applies to tonight. There is no way you can put injuries and foul trouble on Monty. Am I saying Monty is a good coach? No. I am saying that tonight was almost worst case scenario level. Its foolish to think the Monty could have prevented AD from riding the bench with fouls and being taken out of his rhythm. Have you seen the plus minus stats of this team? They are a net 13 PP100 worse with AD on the bench. And thats without D League talent playing heavy minutes like they did tonight.
    ...I'm not talking about just tonight. This loss was merely the culmination of years of frustration. I hope you understand that.

And yes, Monty is supposed to prevent sloppy offense, confused defense, and no energy. That's one of the core functions of his position in this organization. Yet he doesn't fulfill this properly and never has.

Please, again. Give me one reason that you think Monty is a good coach.

Its only the beginning of the season. Its way Too early to panic.

It's official.

The problems tonight were a whole lot different than the ones last year.
    No, they were not. I understand you're trying to lay this loss fully on AD's lack of minutes and Stiemsma getting hurt, but that's a disingenuous argument. We did, and have throughout this season, displayed some of the same problems (fundamental problems, mind you) as previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
    ...I'm not talking about just tonight. This loss was merely the culmination of years of frustration. I hope you understand that.

And yes, Monty is supposed to prevent sloppy offense, confused defense, and no energy. That's one of the core functions of his position in this organization. Yet he doesn't fulfill this properly and never has.

Please, again. Give me one reason that you think Monty is a good coach.
    "Am I saying Monty is a good coach? No. I am saying that tonight was almost worst case scenario level. "

Not saying Monty is a good coach. I understand you are frustrated and I am too. But this is all overreaction. Monty has his flaws, but I don't think you can pin more than 15% of the blame on him tonight. Less.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Xavier henry was tonight living proof that monty doesn't get the best out of his players, he dominated us today, and has been shining ever since he has been in a lakers uniform, but he was junk in New Orleans because Monty is a junk coach!!!
    It helps having, statistically, the best offensive coach in NBA history on the Lakers sideline.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    Its only the beginning of the season. Its way Too early to panic.
    Hey everyone, this guy's using reason!!

GET HIM!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
    No, they were not. I understand you're trying to lay this loss fully on AD's lack of minutes and Stiemsma getting hurt, but that's a disingenuous argument. We did, and have throughout this season, displayed some of the same problems (fundamental problems, mind you) as previous years.
    And Anderson not being there, and people like Withey and Amundson taking said minutes. But we can agree to disagree.

I really don't care if we bring in a big name coach or just hire an interim or assistant off the bench. At this point I think most of us fans just want Monty gone and to see someone with a different perspective try to lead the team. Wish the team would've hired Marc Jackson when they had the chance.
    If you will excuse me, I have to go return some video tapes.

The problems tonight were a whole lot different than the ones last year.
    Were they now? What was different, pray tell?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar

Um, to the people saying Xavier has been great and that is evidence that we didn't utilize a good player properly, why don't you go look at his stats from this year heading into this game. I would post them, but I want you to go look so you can actively learn. Crazy statement to make. Just shows that people speak without thinking or looking for evidence.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    +1000000

"Am I saying Monty is a good coach? No. I am saying that tonight was almost worst case scenario level. "

Not saying Monty is a good coach. I understand you are frustrated and I am too. But this is all overreaction. Monty has his flaws, but I don't think you can pin more than 15% of the blame on him tonight. Less.
    We'll have to agree to disagree then. It'd take a lot to convince me that I didn't see the same problems. Yes, I recognize that there were extenuating circumstances that made a win all but impossible, but I also recognize that there are recurring issues that he has yet to fix, that only make it harder to win, even when everyone is healthy and playing.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Um, to the people saying Xavier has been great and that is evidence that we didn't utilize a good player properly, why don't you go look at his stats from this year heading into this game. I would post them, but I want you to go look so you can actively learn. Crazy statement to make. Just shows that people speak without thinking or looking for evidence.
    I would hope that most recognize that this game was a circled one for Henry and not a snapshot of his whole season. There are so many other things to complain about with Monty that Henry's usage should barely register.

Never thought Monty was a good coach, still don't. But my questions are:

1.) Who do you get? I mean, realistically. Already into the season; any good coach wants a full training camp to implement their system. Only a desperate coach would take that job. In all likelihood, you are settling for an interim coach off your bench.

2.) What would you expect this season with that new head coach?
    It couldn't get much worse or embarrassing... The only reason we won 3 games is because of AD's dominance and hurt or absent players on the opposing teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    It couldn't get much worse or embarrassing... The only reason we won 3 games is because of AD's dominance and hurt or absent players on the opposing teams.
    People always say things can't get worse. They always can. Maybe the percentage isnt that high, but it could get worse. What if you hire a coach that AD absolutely hates? What if you get one who is all about the short term and finds a gimmick to win some but doesnt develop guys for the long term?

It can always get worse. Always.

People always say things can't get worse. They always can. Maybe the percentage isnt that high, but it could get worse. What if you hire a coach that AD absolutely hates? What if you get one who is all about the short term and finds a gimmick to win some but doesnt develop guys for the long term?

George Karl or Lionel Hollins, problem solved.

And it could get a hell of a lot better too. At this point, I don't know if fear of change helps us at all. I think if we asked, we could get Karl. That'd be enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeymaster View Post
    Demps gets a pass in my book, he's done a good job of getting young talent to N.O., it's our HC that doesn't know how to coach or execute with said talent.
    I don't think he does. Just as Monty has shown himself to be incapable of learning certain skills necessary to be a successful coach in this league like in game adjustments, play calling, rotations and matchups Demps hasn't exactly put together a coherent roster to work with.

Remember this is the guy who was ready to pull the trigger on a cp3 for Kevin martin, Scola and odom. Who sold our future(directed from above or not) for a bunch of guys with a lot of question marks about not only their true abillity but their cohesion as a unit. If the experiment fails I think Dell should rightfully be held accountable.

But I'll also throw in that I cringed a lot when I heard benson wanted to win now. This isn't football benson, teams rarely turn it around over night unless youre that rare team that can pull a miami, Boston or Houston. Especially for smaller markets. You have to play the long game and wait for not just good oppurtunities but great ones. And while I think jrue and evans were good opportunities(though evans has disappointed so far and could end up a huge problem if he doesn't come around) I'm not convinced they were great ones. And to me the difference between the teams that become elite and those that never reach it are the oppurtunities they take and don't take. Dell has made a handful of ok moves, a lot of subpar ones(original cp3 trade, bayless trade, rivers) and one great one(Davis) and that was a gimme. I'm far from crowning him the way most treated him this summer as almost sacrosanct.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-13-2013 at 12:43 AM.

xavier is not a good player..let's get that straight

Personally, I think anybody who thinks we could get Hollins or Karl or Van Gundy, etc. THIS YEAR, is living in a dream world. Good, veteran coaches want a training camp to implement their system. Only way you get a big name who can actually coach after the season has already started is if you are a contender or in a big market throwing around big bucks.

Don't believe me? Go find me examples of good, proven coaches who went to a non-contending, small market team after the season already started.

Not an option.

We have AD guaranteed for 5-6 more seasons. Do you believe Monty can lead this team to success with the mounting evidence of coaching ineptitude with each passing game? If we win, AD will be happy. If he is the only dependable player on teams that can't play offense of defense, he will want out.

So it appears a lot of people agree Monty should be gone, then there are some who are defending Monty without ever giving any reasons as to why he should continue to have a job? What have the Hornets/Pelicans excelled at under Monty?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    We have AD guaranteed for 5-6 more seasons. Do you believe Monty can lead this team to success with the mounting evidence of coaching ineptitude with each passing game? If we win, AD will be happy. If he is the only dependable player on teams that can't play offense of defense, he will want out.
    Again, I dont think Monty is the answer, but you will not find an answer after the season has already started (read above). What you could do, however, is cause more problems. Play the season out, see if Monty can turn it around. If not, you can say that you gave him a fair shake with talent (not 8 games) and fire him. Then, bring in a talented coach over the summer and give him the whole offseason to implement a plan.

Thread Information