Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fire Monty Thread

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    No need to being this up until they lose their next game Balls lol! Amnesia prevalent up in here

Well I think it is safe to say some people jumped to conclusions after 2 games. We can all breath easier as Monty is not going anywhere now.

Emotional outbursts I get. Jumping to conclusions I get.

The dogged, neverending defense of the human, all too human, reactions as `correct' is what irritates me.

I still say fire him a horrible coach

It's not like we beat the Heat twice, come on. Monty has issues he still needs to correct.

Wow we beat Utah and Sixers, with the talent we got.. keep monty!!!

It is not about who we beat, it is the claims people made now all of a sudden looking to be false with Ryno back.

He MAKES the team take long two's, doesn't draw up plays for three's, and keeps us at a slow pace. All suddenly false.
    @mcnamara247

Im happy he played rivers and not roberts in the sec half

About drawing up plays for threes:

Many fans were decrying the lack of three point shots. Through the first 9 games (those without Anderson), the team attempted 111 threes compared to 648 twos and 203 free throws, or 12.3 threes, 72 twos, and 22.6 free throws per game. In the two games since Anderson’s return, the rest of the team has attempted 13.5 threes, 56.5 twos, and 28.5 free throws. Anderson attempted 8 threes, 4.5 twos, and 1.5 free throws per game, bringing the Pelicans’ total to 21.5 threes, 61 twos, and 30 free throws per game.

. . .

Now, this is just a small sample, but the data shows something interesting: Anderson’s arrival increased the number of three point attempts by 1.2 per game for other players. One may be able to say the increase is merely noise, and I will not dispute that, but the 8 threes Anderson attempted upon his return simply were not taken by the rest of team during his absence.

Also, some will balk at the use of per game statistics over rates or per time measurements. The real issue is Anderson’s effect on the Pelicans, so per game statistics should be just fine for measuring his effect quickly.

The lack of three point attempts prior to Anderson’s return has been conjectured to be due poor coaching or a lack of respect for the three point shot. This data perhaps supports another theory I had, one which Mike mentioned on the podcast: Monty was simply installing his system, and given the short-term absence of Anderson, asked his players to play within the role set for them in larger plan, the logic perhaps being that it is better to get the system installed rather than tinker with roles more than necessary.

More at the link (bottom)

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...21/a-new-game/

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post

Many fans were decrying the lack of three point shots. Through the first 9 games (those without Anderson), the team attempted 111 threes compared to 648 twos and 203 free throws, or 12.3 threes, 72 twos, and 22.6 free throws per game. In the two games since Anderson’s return, the rest of the team has attempted 13.5 threes, 56.5 twos, and 28.5 free throws. Anderson attempted 8 threes, 4.5 twos, and 1.5 free throws per game, bringing the Pelicans’ total to 21.5 threes, 61 twos, and 30 free throws per game.

. . .

Now, this is just a small sample, but the data shows something interesting: Anderson’s arrival increased the number of three point attempts by 1.2 per game for other players. One may be able to say the increase is merely noise, and I will not dispute that, but the 8 threes Anderson attempted upon his return simply were not taken by the rest of team during his absence.

Also, some will balk at the use of per game statistics over rates or per time measurements. The real issue is Anderson’s effect on the Pelicans, so per game statistics should be just fine for measuring his effect quickly.

The lack of three point attempts prior to Anderson’s return has been conjectured to be due poor coaching or a lack of respect for the three point shot. This data perhaps supports another theory I had, one which Mike mentioned on the podcast: Monty was simply installing his system, and given the short-term absence of Anderson, asked his players to play within the role set for them in larger plan, the logic perhaps being that it is better to get the system installed rather than tinker with roles more than necessary.

Good read, and thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post

Be careful what you wish for

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It is not about who we beat, it is the claims people made now all of a sudden looking to be false with Ryno back.

He MAKES the team take long two's, doesn't draw up plays for three's, and keeps us at a slow pace. All suddenly false.
    LOL no, offense does still looks stale and against the Jazz last night they over helped on players when it wasn't necessary. The only difference I saw from him was when we went back to this playing that style and it wasn't working he would call a time out to fix it where as b4 he let them to continue to play.
    Last edited by 504ByrdGang; 11-21-2013 at 04:51 PM.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    #MontysFault

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Monty made some adjustments, sort of striking preemptively. It was either the start of the 3rd, or out of a timeout, can't remember which. But we started running full court traps for a few possessions in order to make them work for their buckets in the third(where we are notoriously stagnant), or when they were going on a run to sort of heat check them.

That was something I caught last night. Only once or twice, but it held us in position to win. Coaches can improve too, much like players. 11 games isn't definitively enough to say it won't happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post

. . .

Thanks, 42! Quality post.

What makes him a horrible coach? Just crazy if we have 2 more wins than we do now this isn't even mentioned. I believe we are one of the youngest teams in the NBA if not the youngest. You don't think that is challenging for a coach? Also adding a PG and Tyreke who have barely had time to even learn their teammates names much less learn a system. So when we start winning I'm sure it won't have anything to do with Monty it will be all of the young players figuring it out themselves. Just funny to me people wanna say he's a horrible coach when they probably have no idea how to draw up one single play.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    What makes him a horrible coach? Just crazy if we have 2 more wins than we do now this isn't even mentioned. I believe we are one of the youngest teams in the NBA if not the youngest. You don't think that is challenging for a coach? Also adding a PG and Tyreke who have barely had time to even learn their teammates names much less learn a system. So when we start winning I'm sure it won't have anything to do with Monty it will be all of the young players figuring it out themselves. Just funny to me people wanna say he's a horrible coach when they probably have no idea how to draw up one single play.
    I'm harsh on him but I will admit he not as stubborn as I once thought. He has gotten better at calling Time outs and fixed up his defense system a bit and rotations. He just needs to continue to be more open than he was at the beginning of the season (which it still is) when it was about "my system".

I'm harsh on him but I will admit he not as stubborn as I once thought. He has gotten better at calling Time outs and fixed up his defense system a bit and rotations. He just needs to continue to be more open than he was at the beginning of the season (which it still is) when it was about "my system".
    Not saying you don't know how to call a play either just some people on here I seriously question when they are beating the table how terrible a coach he is. I do agree with you on the stubbornness sometimes that is one thing I have a problem with. I would also like to see him be a little more energetic and emotional to light some fire under his players. Im getting kind of tired of him staring at players like he's Pop instead of coaching them.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Not saying you don't know how to call a play either just some people on here I seriously question when they are beating the table how terrible a coach he is. I do agree with you on the stubbornness sometimes that is one thing I have a problem with. I would also like to see him be a little more energetic and emotional to light some fire under his players. Im getting kind of tired of him staring at players like he's Pop instead of coaching them.
    I agree with no proven leader on this team and I wish people stop trying to make Jason smith that guy he needs to be. In late game situation or when we are behind he looks more confused and nervous than to rally his troops to make them believe they can win.

He wins the next two games on the schedule and we could be looking at a coach of the month candidate.

FIRE MONTYYYHHHHHHH

(sorry, it had been too long since someone had written it)

Don't worry, this thread will pick up steam again in December

Nah dw, next 3 games it will be back.

He improved in 12 games after not improving in hundreds?

The truth is, that is you look hard enough, you can find numerous flaws in every game by a coach.

We look harder after losses, it seems.

I personally believe 90% of what coaches do comes in practice. You get them prepared to play in practice, and once the game starts, it is kinda out of your control. Can he help players develop proper habits in practice? Seems to have done a decent job with AD. I need more time to see how he helps Jrue, Gordon, and Evans mentally before I make a definitive evaluation of Monty. I think All-Star break of 2015 will be enough time for me to have enough data to make my evaluation.

Thread Information