Pelicans Report

Thread: Milwaukee Bucks Off-Season Media Series

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar

Milwaukee Bucks Off-Season Media Series

GM Ian Quailmen: Greetings Brother Buckers! And welcome to the 2007-2008 Milwaukee Bucks Off-season Media Series. It will be a series of press conferences and media sessions throughout the offseason to discuss moves taken by the Bucks front office to reach that goal all NBA franchises dream to reach but only we will achieve: a 2007-08 NBA Title.

Quailmen: As most of you are aware, this front office has been working tirelessly to retool and rebuild this team to meet the demands of the increasingly competitive Eastern Conference. Some moves have been heavily ridiculed; others have been praised across the league. Regardless, every move made this off-season was made for the betterment of this team and to play to our strengths, primarily former MVP Gilbert Arenas. Before introducing our new roster (and potential starting 5), I would like to extend my thanks and appreciation on behalf of the entire Bucks organization and fan base to those who departed us this off-season, including Tyson Chandler, Antoine Walker, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, and Tony Allen.

Quailmen: I would like to introduce 4 new off-season acquisitions, starting with our first acquisition: All-Leaguer Mehmet Okur.

Quailmen: Next of whom I would like to introduce was our 2nd big acquisition of the off-season: Rashard Lewis.

Quailmen: Doesn't he look happy? Also part of the deal to bring Rashard to us was the pick that lead us to picking our next future front court stud: Joakim Noah.

Quailmen: And our most recent move to fill the most glaring hole on any roster in this league. This move brought in one of the premier perimeter shooting 2-guards in the league who has plenty of gas in his tank. Please welcome All-Star Ray Allen.

Quailmen: Finally, I would like to introduce our cornerstone, our centerpiece, the heart of Michigan: Gilbert Arenas!

Quailmen: Instead of spending long-winded speeches preaching about the reasons of why we made the moves we made, I am going to open it up to the press in attendance for questions to me. Thank you in advance for your questions!

Hi who I am an who I represent are unimportant. The issue I would like to address is how you plan up to divide the scoring between Arenas, Allen, Lewis, Frye, Okur. Can you give us your likely scoring options and your projected ppg from each of those players? Will Arenas have an MVP season?

DLB: Are you planning on starting Noah and Okur in a twin towers set, or do you want Noah coming off the bench with Frye starting? Are you looking for more frontcourt depth?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Jason Jones from the Kings Corner. Arenas is one of, if not the, top scoring threat at the PG position. Do you think the influx of new scorers such as Lewis and Allen will decrease the amount of shots Arenas takes in order to get the offense setup?

Mike Trudell: Mike Trudell from Lakersnation.com here. Gilbert Arena's transformation from a score first to a pass first point guard has been well chronicled around the league. And while at it's surface it looks like a good transition, there seems to be rumblings by basketball fundementalist that it is counter productive to take the ball out of your best scorer's hands to become a distrubtor. We've also seen the Bucks transition from a team that almost won the East to a second round exit through this transition. Do you think this transition is actually good for the team, or have you explored the possibility that you may have overthought yourself last year and this offseason by placing so many other scorers instead of defenders around Arenas?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Hi who I am an who I represent are unimportant. The issue I would like to address is how you plan up to divide the scoring between Arenas, Allen, Lewis, Frye, Okur. Can you give us your likely scoring options and your projected ppg from each of those players? Will Arenas have an MVP season?
    Quailmen: Thanks for the question; you pose an interesting question. At the moment I would anticipate my top 3 Scoring Options to be:

1. Arenas
    2. Okur
    3. Allen

However, that will be something to be tinkered with throughout the season and especially after train camp occurs. But we imagine those 3 being in the top 3.

As far as PPG, I'm going to predict boldly:

Arenas - 18 ppg
    Allen - 19 ppg
    Lewis - 14 ppg
    Okur - 21 ppg
    Frye - 10.5 ppg

Obviously, numbers are fluid here, but I would be very comfortable with numbers like those. I also anticipate Arenas being a top assist guy as well.

Arenas: I'd like to answer the MVP question, if you don't mind, Ian. Awards and accolades are cool and stuff, but, you know, all that matters to me is winning that championship. And I will do whatever it takes, ya know, to put my team in position to be in the thick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    DLB: Are you planning on starting Noah and Okur in a twin towers set, or do you want Noah coming off the bench with Frye starting? Are you looking for more frontcourt depth?
    Quailmen: Our starting rotation hasn't been 100% set, but we pride ourselves on the flexibility and versatility of our big men. I think our rotation is somewhat comparable to that of the Rockets frontcourt line-up, which uses a mixture of offense-defense-balanced, 1-2-3 punch. Mehmet, Joakim, and Channing all can play the 4 and the 5 spots, and I think depending on the matchups, we'll play them accordingly. I prefer the term "Triplet Towers". Because 2 just doesn't cut it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    Jason Jones from the Kings Corner. Arenas is one of, if not the, top scoring threat at the PG position. Do you think the influx of new scorers such as Lewis and Allen will decrease the amount of shots Arenas takes in order to get the offense setup?
    Quailmen: As I had mentioned earlier, and as Gilbert alluded to, his points scored per game may be lower and his assists may be higher, but he will be putting our team in the best position to win. The amount of shots he takes could decrease though. That is understandable with having so many mouths to feed, but some of those shots that he defers, we like to look at those as extensions of his own shot going in.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Arenas: I'd like to answer the MVP question, if you don't mind, Ian. Awards and accolades are cool and stuff, but, you know, all that matters to me is winning that championship. And I will do whatever it takes, ya know, to put my team in position to be in the thick of it.
    ...says the guy who bragged about back to back All-Star Game MVP trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by TrayWithAnA View Post
    ...says the guy who bragged about back to back All-Star Game MVP trophies.
    I was going to quote arenas and say, thing you'd never hear Arenas say. certainly a lot of creative liberties on that one

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Mike Trudell: Mike Trudell from Lakersnation.com here. Gilbert Arena's transformation from a score first to a pass first point guard has been well chronicled around the league. And while at it's surface it looks like a good transition, there seems to be rumblings by basketball fundementalist that it is counter productive to take the ball out of your best scorer's hands to become a distrubtor. We've also seen the Bucks transition from a team that almost won the East to a second round exit through this transition. Do you think this transition is actually good for the team, or have you explored the possibility that you may have overthought yourself last year and this offseason by placing so many other scorers instead of defenders around Arenas?
    Quailmen: Hard hitting question. And I'll try to answer this to the best of my ability. One of the biggest issues last year we had as a team was that we were an Inside scoring centric team. Well, everyone except Gilbert. Meaning we had a hard time getting him open looks on the perimeter. Antoine and Shareef took an occasional 3-pt shot, but we needed another deep shooting threat. That was direction we decided on going in this offseason.

Originally, Mehmet wasn't even on our radar. However, once the Cavaliers made it known that he was available, we (like every GM in this league would) inquired about him. It required trading away one of our core and a developing defensive 2, but in return, we got an All-League Center who can not only rebound (had .5 less rpg than Tyson) but score inside AND out. Exactly the kind of piece we wanted to surround Gilbert with.

Next, winning the #2 pick in the lottery and reviewing/researching the draft class, we decided to take this one pick and turn it into something more. Rashard Lewis was and has always been on our radar; we've inquired about his availability numerous times over the seasons. His skill set to again shoot inside and out while being an above average defender is something all team's would love to have. Trading for him did cost us Antoine, but in return we received long-term cap relief, which allowed us to make our most recent move to acquire Ray.

Yes, we may have decided to trade out defense for offense this offseason. Looking at our starting 5, that is obvious. But after watching last year's Eastern Conference Finals from home and season the Hornets crush the Sixers, who were one of the most stout defensive teams last year, it became more apparent that playing great defense may not mean championship when you have to keep up the scoring pace with the Hornets.

Long story short: I do not think we took a step back this off-season surrounding our cornerstone with more big-time pieces that could give him more open looks. This is a move made in the direction of a championship.

Sports Guy Bill Simmons here, this roster is pretty much set for the next 3-4 seasons. After next season Lewis and Frye will expire and we only assume you will basically match any offer given on you're **ahem** favorite player Channing Frye. Other than Ray Allen everyone on your team is young whereas the Hornets in a year or two may start to look a little old. Do you think this team can take the crown from them in the Central Division and Eastern Conference in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    Sports Guy Bill Simmons here, this roster is pretty much set for the next 3-4 seasons. After next season Lewis and Frye will expire and we only assume you will basically match any offer given on you're **ahem** favorite player Channing Frye. Other than Ray Allen everyone on your team is young whereas the Hornets in a year or two may start to look a little old. Do you think this team can take the crown from them in the Central Division and Eastern Conference in general.
    Quailmen: Ah, Bill! Good to see you; surprised your head isn't buried in the sand after Ainge traded away almost every player of worth from your team! Nonetheless, glad to have you here in person.

I really do think that this team has what it takes to defeat the Hornets when push comes to shove. I think the offensive firepower is there so that when one player may be having a bad game, another can step up and fill that role. What is left to be seen is if our team will be able to keep up with the other top teams in the East. The Raptors are consistently good, the Sixers are (as mentioned earlier) one of the best defensive teams in the league, the Bulls are forever dangerous as long as they have James, the Pistons are constantly improving as well and resigned Luke Ridnour to a great (almost Arenas-like) deal, and the Knicks will be dangerous. I could keep talking about teams that have improved constantly throughout the East. The only one team that really hasn't taken a step forward is the Celtics, but we all know that they are preparing for a rebuild, not competing right now.

By the way, before it sounds like I'm constantly calling out the Celtics, I applaud their front office on the decisive and financially sound moves they have made this off-season. Quite masterful. It'll be an interesting watch to see them climb back up the conference standings in a few years.

Clyde Drexler of Fox Sports Houston:

You seem to have alot of firepower offensively. Speaking of firepower, I was an elite scorer myself whether it was for Phi Slamma Jamma, in Portland, on championships teams in Houston, and on Dream Team. I couldn't be stopped most nights.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Clyde Drexler of Fox Sports Houston:

You seem to have alot of firepower offensively. Speaking of firepower, I was an elite scorer myself whether it was for Phi Slamma Jamma, in Portland, on championships teams in Houston, and on Dream Team. I couldn't be stopped most nights.
    I remember watching you in #LOLSimLeague. You were pretty amazing, winning the title that one year.

Quailmen: Greetings again! Now that we've filled out our roster and progressed through Training Camp, we would like to introduce those players and open up to questions once again.

Quailmen: We would like to first off welcome back Malik Rose and Desmond Mason. Malik is a very underrated player who plays hard nose basketball and we are thrilled to have him back. And to Desmond Mason, we extend our welcome to him as he will fill the role of our backup 2-guard.

Quailmen: Next we brought in Dorrell Wright, who we have high hope for in a backup role. He had some set backs in training camp, but look for him to be a defensive presence on the perimeter. We also brought in Greg Ostertag to be a veteran presence for us on and off the court.

Quailmen: Lastly, a couple guards we brought in to provide more depth: Speedy Claxton and Mateen Cleaves.

Quailmen: Let's open it up to the media for questions.

Thread Information