Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Detroit Pistons Media Day

Detroit Pistons Media Day

Welcome everyone to Detroit again. These pressers have become one of my favorite parts about the season. First off I'd like to recap the transactions made in the offseason.

Pistons sent:
    Renaldo Balkman
    Jose Calderon
    David Noel
    2007 pick #51

Pistons got:
    Sasha Vujacic
    Steve Novac
    Brian Grant
    Jason Smith
    Jazz 2009 1st
    8 points

Pistons signed:
    Luke Ridnour - 5 years - $8M - 10%

Pistons declined:
    Travis Outlaw (resignings period)

Projected Rotation
    C - Yao - Gooden - Smith
    PF - Wilcox - Ilyasova - Ilyasova
    SF - Wallace - Ilyasova - Ilyasova
    SG - Martin - Vujacic - Martin
    PG - Ridnour - Vujacic - Ridnour

Scoring Options
    1. Kevin Martin
    2. Yao Ming
    3. Luke Ridnour

Last season marked our second consecutive season with an increase of 10+ wins in our record, and we ended our run of not making the playoffs when we finished for the fifth seed in the very tough Eastern Conference. Ultimately we got bested in five games by division rival, Toronto Raptors, but it is a good building block for future successes.

Mike Trudell: Good morning, Mike Trudell from LakersNation.com here. We've all been witnesses to the tremendous transformation your team has made in the last few seasons and i'm not sure anyone can deny you've done a great job building this team; but this offseason for the first time you didn't add any major pieces with you core in tact. With all that being said and know, what is it that makes you think your team can get over the hump in the eastern Conference playoffs? What are your realistic expectations for the season?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Mike Trudell: Good morning, Mike Trudell from LakersNation.com here. We've all been witnesses to the tremendous transformation your team has made in the last few seasons and i'm not sure anyone can deny you've done a great job building this team; but this offseason for the first time you didn't add any major pieces with you core in tact. With all that being said and know, what is it that makes you think your team can get over the hump in the eastern Conference playoffs? What are your realistic expectations for the season?
    I think growth is going to be our biggest addition this season. Our core group, the 7 or 8 guys getting the majority of the minutes, are all under 27 and have 6 or less years in the Association. All have shown phenomenal growth in their games over the past few seasons and we still think a few have big jumps left to make. Yao wasn't much of a defensive presence last year and Ridnour was in the top 5 in turnovers. We are planning on sending them to special training camps to address those problem areas. Also, our team really thrived towards the end of the year when we brought in Ridnour to play point, started Wilcox at the 4, and moved Ilyasova to our 6th man role. We look forward to going most of the year with that rotation which we hope is worth the same winning percentage that it was in the last month or so of the season last year. I want to crack the 50 win mark and challenge the division leaders for our first banner. Obviously with the Hornets, that is often an unrealistic expectation.

Our success hinges on Kevin Martin though. We had a few things in place for older, more-productive SGs, but we still feel like Martin is a more affordable, younger piece that fits well in the fabric of the team. After all, Detroit scouts still believe we are bound to see a jump in his offensive production. He showed signs of being that guy last year.

Do you feel like the team needs to find a 3rd scorer and what moves are you looking at in FA? Also, explain how the team took off after trading Nash and acquiring Ridnour?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Do you feel like the team needs to find a 3rd scorer and what moves are you looking at in FA? Also, explain how the team took off after trading Nash and acquiring Ridnour?
    Ridnour was a better long term fit than Nash was because he was younger, and most importantly, he was a better defender. It's really unfair to point at that single transaction to explain the tear my team went on. Week 17 marked the first time I moved Wilcox to starting PF and Ilyasova to the sixth man role. Wilcox would average 15.74 ppg and 9.57 rpg for the rest of the season.

Ridnour averaged 15 ppg on .456 FG% after being added to the scoring options, something he wasn't asked to do in Orlando.

If I can get 15 a game from Ridnour, Martin, and Wilcox while still getting Yao's 20+ a game, I don't think I'll need to address the third scoring option.

I have targeted a few additional free agents but with only my MLE, LLE, and league min contracts as options, plus pending luxury tax doom, I don't think I will be working the phones much more during the preseason.

Sports Guy Bill Simmons here, every champion in simleague history has had an elite superstar. The Mavs had Malone, Wizards had Kobe, my Celtics had Webber **wipes tear away**, Hornets have had KG, and the Lakers well I can't remember which elite superstar the Lakers had but they probably had 2 or 3. Do you think you have to have a superstar to win a championship and if you do is there one on the roster, can Yao be that guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    Sports Guy Bill Simmons here, every champion in simleague history has had an elite superstar. The Mavs had Malone, Wizards had Kobe, my Celtics had Webber **wipes tear away**, Hornets have had KG, and the Lakers well I can't remember which elite superstar the Lakers had but they probably had 2 or 3. Do you think you have to have a superstar to win a championship and if you do is there one on the roster, can Yao be that guy?

I think Yao will have to be that guy unless Martin turns into a completely different basketball player. That being said, Yao is not a superstar to the caliber of those guys listed and has yet to even compete for an All-Star spot. We're hoping here in Detroit that our depth will be enough to make up for the lack of a superstar. Lots of 'tweeners on the roster who can help in multiple different ways and help the team really match up against whoever we play. All of them are young and have been really developing well. Maybe we will have the perfect storm here in the next few seasons.

We are targeting a few more people at the 1, 2, and 3 to help with depth at those positions. As it stands right now we have 5 people between those three positions. Have a lot of depth at the 4 and 5.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrayWithAnA View Post
    I think Yao will have to be that guy unless Martin turns into a completely different basketball player. That being said, Yao is not a superstar to the caliber of those guys listed and has yet to even compete for an All-Star spot. We're hoping here in Detroit that our depth will be enough to make up for the lack of a superstar. Lots of 'tweeners on the roster who can help in multiple different ways and help the team really match up against whoever we play. All of them are young and have been really developing well. Maybe we will have the perfect storm here in the next few seasons.
    Will Maukie here from BucksNation.com. Did you just say weeners?

On a more serious note, after the Hornets, who do you consider the most competition for a playoff spot. For the past couple of seasons, the Central Division has been on a tear, owning majority of the Eastern Conference playoff spots. Competition is pretty fierce, and teams are all making moves to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Will Maukie here from BucksNation.com. Did you just say weeners?

On a more serious note, after the Hornets, who do you consider the most competition for a playoff spot. For the past couple of seasons, the Central Division has been on a tear, owning majority of the Eastern Conference playoff spots. Competition is pretty fierce, and teams are all making moves to get better.
    As far as playoff spots are concerned, I think the Bucks and Raptors will be there. The Bucks have a lot of key new pieces but their game plan shouldn't be that difficult. The Raptors have had the same group for the better part of a season and should have it down by now. As far as the rest of the division and conference, it's kind of up in the air. I consider our Pistons to be a top 4 team in the East but since the other three great teams share the division, one of us will be in fifth place. A hunch of mine says it won't be Detroit.

Clark Kent, Daily Planet,

Do you regret christening the Raptors GM as "The Great One"?

And,

Have you seen my Weiner?
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Jason Jones from the Kings Corner. First off congratulations to the Pistons on making the playoffs in a tough Eastern Conference, us Kings fans are hoping for similar progression as the Pistons these past few seasons.

My question is do you see your team making another push for improvement and do you feel your squad can gain home court advantage in the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Do you regret christening the Raptors GM as "The Great One"?

And,

Have you seen my Weiner?
    Don't regret it. The bigger the ego makes it more fun when I pass him this year. Just ask the Bucks GM.

You should really stop sexting other GMs in the league. It's getting creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    Jason Jones from the Kings Corner. First off congratulations to the Pistons on making the playoffs in a tough Eastern Conference, us Kings fans are hoping for similar progression as the Pistons these past few seasons.

My question is do you see your team making another push for improvement and do you feel your squad can gain home court advantage in the playoffs?
    The answer to both questions is yes. Obviously the Bulls are probably the team that will represent the Atlantic, but we feel like we have to be better than the Bucks or the Raptors and I think if history serves us right, the Bucks virtual lock to compete for the division means it will probably be a disappointing season. We just have to split with those guys and beat the teams we should beat. I think in 2 years we'll be the division favorites as some of these teams are getting older really quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if we were the ones pushing the Hornets this year. This lineup went 17-8 in the last 25 games of the season...with Yao missing more than half of them. I like our chances to continue to improve.

It doesn't take x-ray vision to see that the Bulls are in the Central Division. Have you been counting them out this whole time?

It doesn't take x-ray vision to see that the Bulls are in the Central Division. Have you been counting them out this whole time?
    Ooooooh, that was a big mistake on my part. Well, this is awkward. Lebron should carry that team to a good seed in the playoffs. Looks like my job just got a little tougher this year. Looks like there may only be one spot in the Top 4 between us, the Raptors, and the Bucks. Or the Bulls could tail off dramatically. who knows? I'm just as interested as y'all are. Should be an exciting race in the Central this year.

Central is stacked, as usual.

That is all.

Central is stacked, as usual.

That is all.
    And who know what to expect from Atlanta and Indiana? Pacers were a playoff team a year ago and the Hawks have one of the more fun teams on paper. Could we see 6 or 7 spots taken by the Central Division? If it were ever possible, this would probably be the year.

Pistons Training Camp Report

Yao Ming – Increased DF (B to B+) & Decreased IN (A- to B+), OUT (C to C-)
    Drew Gooden – Increased DF (C to C+), POT (D to C) & Decreased OUT (C to C-), HN (C- to D+)
    Ersan Ilyasova – Increased IN (C+ to B-), DF (B to B+) & Decreased OUT (B to B-), POT (A to B)
    Chris Wilcox – Increased HN (D to D+)
    Brian Grant – Increased REB (C+ to B-) & Decreased DF (B+ to B)
    Jason Smith – Increased IN (C+ to B-), POT (C to B)
    Gerald Wallace – Increased REB (B- to B) & Decreased POT (C to D)
    Steve Novak – Unchanged
    Kevin Martin – Increased IN (B- to B), OUT (B+ to A-), HN (C- to C) & Decreased POT (A to B)
    Sasha Vujacic – Decreased HN (B+ to B), DF (B- to C+)
    Marquis Daniels – Decreased POT (B to C)
    Derek Anderson – Decreased OUT (B+ to B), DF (C+ to C), REB (C- to D+)
    Luke Ridnour – Increased DF (A- to A) & Decreased REB (C- to D+), POT (B to C)

Cheers
    - Kevin Martin's Offense
    - Yao Ming, Luke Ridnour, Ersan Ilyasova's Defense

Jeers
    - Backup Guards As A Whole

Projected opening day Depth Chart:

C: Yao - Wilcox - Gooden
    PF: Ilyasova - Wilcox - Wilcox
    SF: Wallace - Ilyasova - Novak
    SG: Martin - Vujacic - Anderson
    PG: Ridnour - Anderson - Vujacic

Scoring Options:
    1. Martin
    2. Yao
    3. Ridnour/Ilyasova

IR:
    1. Daniels

Gameplan:
    Focus - Balanced
    Pace - Normal
    Trap - Normal
    Press - Normal

Considering how successful Ilyasova was in his rookie season, we have decided to move him back into the starting lineup after a really successful Training Camp. We feel like we can still get a lot of good effective minutes out of Wilcox, who averaged similar Per 36 numbers when coming off the bench last year.

As for the scoring options, it is pretty clear that we have seen the jump in Kevin Martin's ratings that we patiently waited for, and he will top Yao on the scoring options list. Yao consistently got a lot of shots at both the #1 and #2 scoring options with pretty similar PPG totals. Martin has struggled in the past at #2 or #3 and we think he will shine at #1 this year. #3 is still a tossup. Clearly the best option is Ridnour, but we believe that he and Wallace will continue to be efficient in the shots they get. Ilyasova had a lot of success at the #3 a year ago and we may lean towards him at the start of the season. As the season goes on, we will look at each sim's matchups to determine who is the best fit there.

Other notes: Anderson will backup PG, while Vujacic takes the minutes as backup SG. The two will swap places at third string. This is mainly for Anderson's better ball handling skills. We signed Gooden with the intention of starting Wilcox. Now we have determined that Wilcox will be our 6th man type backing up both PF and C, and Gooden will serve as third string at C. If he doesn't shoot the ball well early, we may give the limited minutes to our rookie, Jason Smith. Ilyasova will back-up Wallace at SF to get good minutes from the perimeter too. Novak will serve as third string at SF.

We have already discussed a few trade scenarios for Brian Grant and are likely to sit him for the 45 days he will be a Detroit Piston. We would like to make sure minutes are going to be given to the group we think can and will carry us to the playoffs.
    Last edited by TrayWithAnA; 08-20-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Any questions before we wrap this up? I know you are as eager as I am to see what the next season has to offer.

Can Ridnour live up to his ratings? A's in outside scoring, handling, and defense. Do you think he is as good as his ratings?

Thread Information