Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Spanish Invasion is in Sacramento

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar

The Spanish Invasion is in Sacramento

The KingsCorner

By: Jason Jones

***BREAKING NEWS IN SACRAMENTO: SPANISH INVASION***

Oh lord, again? Jesus get the **** out of the sound booth Navarro!

Navarro on Intercom: Triste

What?

Sorry about that everyone, obviously since the Sim League draft this morning things have been hectic around the team office. So without further interruption we would like to welcome our newest addition to the Sacramento Kings family: Marc Gasol! The Spanish Big Man has already been well received by the team, most notably by fellow Spaniards Juan Carlos and Wally Szcerbiak.

Gasol is projected to start on Day 1 of the new season. The 7'1 265 big man fills a much needed role that was void from the team in seasons past. Marc is expected to improve the Kings abysmal down low presence and to secure defensive rebounds to prevent opponents from benefiting from second chance points.

Going into the offseason the Kings developed a plan. With the 2nd highest chance to win the lotto, our Kings would eventually net the #4 pick in the draft again! (*Off-topic and off-record but the lotto system can suck it*) Luckily the 2007 Sim League draft was loaded with centers and we ended up with who we think was the second best player in the draft that fit our teams direction and need. Not to take anything away from Oden and Horford who will have long and healthy careers and has our best of luck, but Marc Gasol is a player we feel can pair up well with the inside-out scorer LaMarcus Aldridge and with patience train him into an All Star.

The other skill that made us covet Gasol is that he is already a good and proficient low post offensive threat. The big man can post you up and decide whether to back you down, shoot, or pass. His basketball skills for a 7'1 center is unmatched by any other big man rookie.

So I know you're tired about me talking about him so witho--

Wally on Intercom: HOLA MARC!

****ing crying out loud now what!?!?

Yeah you think you're funny... get the **** outta here Wally.

Wally on Intercom: Triste

What? Anyways, here's Marc Gasol!

Marc Gasol: Thanks for the welcome and I'm excited to be here in Sacramento where dreams are made!

Marc, this is Sacramento.

Marc Gasol: Right! The city of fallen angels!

So Marc, besides the other two musketeers has anyone from the team reached out to you since the draft?

Marc Gasol: Yes, of course management has been talking daily to me since two week before the draft. Before my name was officially called I got a text from LaMarcus Aldridge welcoming me to the family, so we've been shooting messages back and forth.

Yes Aldridge is quickly grooming himself into the teams leader at such a young age. How do you see yourselves playing on the court at the same time?

Marc Gasol: Aldridge has many skills that are comparable to the European league I played in. He has a great jump shot from what I've seen at the mid range and as a young rookie had better post moves than expected out of college. I think the transition will be easy on this team as I can provide the presence much needed down low in the defensive and offensive post game, but I never restrict myself to one role. I want to be an all-in-one front court piece that can score, set picks and screens, move the ball well, and try to get easy second chance points through hustle and opportunity.

Sounds great but the Kings were not known for their defensive play this past season after the departure of Theo Ratliff left a hole, and now with the retirement of PG Terrell Brandon many think the Kings will be worse off than before. Care to reply?

Marc Gasol: Hopefully that's where I step into the picture. I know I'm a big man but size and weight aren't the combination to success on defense. I think me being on the court will improve the teams defense by itself but I know have a lot of work to put into multiple seasons and offseasons. My hope is that I can provide a valuable 30 minutes or more a game of good defense, but that doesn't start individaully. The team as a whole has to get better and get on the same page when we're on the court. It's easy to watch film and draw up ways to stop a teams offense, but it's a different beast when it comes to walking on that court and stopping the likes of Tim Duncan and such.

That and about $32 million in cap space to fill out 3-5 players, which is a big topic at our fans team forum. You have to be excited to see who else joins you as the new face of the franchise.

Marc Gasol: Oh yeah, $32 million doesn't hurt at all. From what the team told me in discussions before I was picked, they are looking to upgrade the backcourt, either with starters or role players, this free agency. They aren't restricting themselves to free agency though, they are open to trades where they see appropriate.

A lot of fans are upset about the new RFA rule that took into effect this offseason with the likes of Lebron, Melo, and Barbosa. Do you think the Kings will still go after these and other players with their current cap situation?

Marc Gasol: Oh I know they will. I would be upset if the team did not at least try to better themselves by bidding on the best players available that fill a need, and those three plus others are on the Kings wish list for sure.

A wish list is that right?

Marc Gasol: Oh, that's right league.

So Marc has learned he's not in LA and has a message for Kobe and crew.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Bosa is mine.
    Oh yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Bosa is mine.
    Over my cold hard cash

got the money and the wins though. Bout to become CP and the Hornets hand me downs.

So I'm assuming that you are both throwing out maxes if he hits the market...

Not certain. Max seems a bit much but if it comes down to it commish might have to match a high offer if it's even accepted.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Hornets will match any offer to Barbosa.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post

Sounds like incentive to give the MAX MAX

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post

You aren't pleased with Rip starting? Haha

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    More than willing, but Barbosa won't go anywhere

I'm willing to test your resolve with a Tax payer's exception!

Free agency will be interesting. I'm wondering about Melo's value as well

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    Free agency will be interesting. I'm wondering about Melo's value as well
    MAX THEM ALL

Sucks that RFA started this free agency web though I'm in much favor of the rule. But man there's some good talent there.

Still need to compile a list of UFAs, haven't even started that yet.

Also why hasn't anyone done a Free Agency article previewing the upcoming players?

It's too bad you didn't name this, the Spanish Inquasition

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    **** I need an editor. I really cheapened the title.

That or special thread retitle privileges

Or armada; you had so many choices ...

Now Asian Invasion would have been bomb if you had Asians.

Or armada; you had so many choices ...

Now Asian Invasion would have been bomb if you had Asians.
    I have asian(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrayWithAnA View Post
    I have asian(s)
    So does quail

Not even enough players until Len comes to do an Asian Invasion. If I actually knew any Spanish I think I could've done much better.

Maybe title of the song

Hi lost Seattle reporter, (seriously why am I in California?) have the Kings offered guard Leandro Barbosa a contract despite the fact that he is Brazilian? Could you see a rivalry forming between the Kings and the reigning Pacific champs?
    Last edited by BeeBall Reasons; 08-14-2013 at 08:15 AM.

So does quail
    About 9 days late, but...

Thread Information