Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: NOLa.'s Very Own Premature Power Rankings

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar

NOLA NOLa.'s 2nd Edition Power Ranking

NOLa.'s 2nd Edition Power Ranking

First, I want to say THANK YOU to the league for making my power ranking debut a fairly successful one. Was better received than I had envisioned. I just wanted to highlight the previous edition's moments:

• BeeBall brought up tanking in an arguement.
    • Much anticipated "HOW DID YOU DO THESE RANKINGS" and other madness that caused screaming.
    • Commish poked his head in but felt slighted. Then hinted at putting another championship trophy to his sig to rub in the fact he is only multi-champion team

And other stuff happened, but let's move on.

November is gone and we've already flew by the first full month of this season sim league. With the long offseason behind us in the rear view mirror, it seems this season is already flying fast. Either from the excitement or the outstanding level of commitment and activity from all the other 28 GM's out there this season is shaping up to be a real rat race. Stories presenting themselves so far? What about injuries plaguing both playoff contenders and bottom dwellers? What about Philadelphia's dominance in the early stages of Season 6? Will the Kings put together a winning sim at all this season? (Doubtful)

General managers throughout have and still are tinkering with their depth charts. Not very many have found their groove, and the ones that have their teams figured out are benefiting from the confusion and chaos in sim league.

So if you actually read that and didn't skip down, here's the rankings.

I'm guessing it is only fair to explain a little more into my rankings, so I completely trashed the other one and put this together so you guys can see some measurements I used. It's really a weighted-average ranking based off the league's production compared to yours. I know some may not like these at all and feel it's useless, but it was fun to make and has taken me a good chunk of hours these past few days to come up with. A quick breakdown:

• Team Score: Based off your roster. Can be weighted down heavily by fill-ins and still needs to be modified for better value.
    • Assist: More of a "Do you take care of the ball" and "Is the ball movement there for your team?"
    • Rebounding: Duh
    • Defense: This is still being worked on. Will explain later.
    • Shooting: How well you shoot the ball.
    • Standing: Takes into account your record and recent game performances.

There's still more I want to add before I completely leave this thing alone. It is set to update every time the index is changed so I get instant changes. Can keep adding more measurements if you guys like this and keep updating throughout. Let me know and good luck in Season 6!

6/28

Edit: Changed rebounding from total to marginal to adjust for pace (Thanks to BallSoHard)
    Edit2L: Small inflation error for team grades fixed. (Thanks to Conroy's suspicion of a spotty rank system)
    Last edited by NOLa.; 06-28-2013 at 03:45 PM.

WTF IS THIS?!?!?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND SO I AM ANGRY!!!

seriously though...what are we discussing?

million dollar question how are you scoring them.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    million dollar question how are you scoring them.
    ^^^^^^

How did you come up with the cumulative score?

Scoring breakdown you ****ing noob

You don't have to give up your secret ingredients but give us a basic baseline of what this score is influenced by.

This has exactly the response I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by TrayWithAnA View Post
    You don't have to give up your secret ingredients but give us a basic baseline of what this score is influenced by.
    It's not like he created a new and better PER. He is rating teams as a whole, I think... idk I'M CONFUSED!!!

I hope the suns owner does his power rankings this year. I enjoyed those a lot. This seems cool though. One power rankings based on a formula of some sort, and one power rankings based only on perception and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    It's not like he created a new and better PER. He is rating teams as a whole, I think... idk I'M CONFUSED!!!
    I like the idea of this being cumulative PER. Would give teams a better feel on their strength despite their records.

Quote Originally Posted by Make It Rain View Post
    I hope the suns owner does his power rankings this year. I enjoyed those a lot. This seems cool though. One power rankings based on a formula of some sort, and one power rankings based only on perception and personnel
    Agreed on liking both sides. Thanks Nola

i'm ahead of the lakers though so I like this

Hall of Famer
    Honestly man, I took one look at all of the teams this season and nearly blew a gasket. Parity (and smarter GMs) have gotten this league to the point where you honestly don't know who's hot and who's not until the sims start.

Oh, and please don't give me all the credit, Conroy's a big help and has just as much to do with the rankings as I do. Maybe we'll be able to do a midseason ranking and an expanded end-of-season ranking, but I really was uncomfortable ranking teams right off the bat.

HR Sim League

Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post
    Honestly man, I took one look at all of the teams this season and nearly blew a gasket. Parity (and smarter GMs) have gotten this league to the point where you honestly don't know who's hot and who's not until the sims start.

Oh, and please don't give me all the credit, Conroy's a big help and has just as much to do with the rankings as I do. Maybe we'll be able to do a midseason ranking and an expanded end-of-season ranking, but I really was uncomfortable ranking teams right off the bat.
    Awww. Hurt some feelings. It's better that way!

I like the idea of this being cumulative PER. Would give teams a better feel on their strength despite their records.
    If he's doing cumulative PER, I want this forumla. I'm still trying to find something to use for stats. All I do is track the progress of a certain gameplan.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    I need a name for this. Don't like my name in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xist2inspire View Post

Sorry Conroy. I wasn't aware you were part of those rankings. Kudos to both you guys. Mid-season ranking would be cool. I can understand that those rankings must take a ton of time

The "NEVER GOING TO EXPLAIN THE RATINGS" rating system.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I need a name for this. Don't like my name in it.
    NOLA's troll power ranking!

just kidding. It looks interesting, but I haven't a clue how it works.

Moneyball Power Rankings? Kinda hinting at the analytical side of sports ranking that has become much more common recently

If he's doing cumulative PER, I want this forumla. I'm still trying to find something to use for stats. All I do is track the progress of a certain gameplan.
    PER relies on split rebound stats which we don't have. I think everyone has their own formula at this point. No one formula is correct since PER is really difficult to really calculate.

Moneyball Power Rankings? Kinda hinting at the analytical side of sports ranking that has become much more common recently
    I second this.

PER relies on split rebound stats which we don't have. I think everyone has their own formula at this point. No one formula is correct since PER is really difficult to really calculate.
    I guess it doesn't matter. I'll save time by doing the eyeball test. So far everyone in Portland sucks *** this year(only 5 games, I keep telling myself). It's that simple.

I guess it doesn't matter. I'll save time by doing the eyeball test. So far everyone in Portland sucks *** this year(only 5 games, I keep telling myself). It's that simple.
    At least you're not Milwaukee who is putting the whole team on the trading block.

Maybe Nola's rankings will get him off the ledge.

Thread Information