Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rankings since the Start of SimLeague

NBA Rankings since the Start of SimLeague

SportsGuy here, since we have a week off I took some time and decided to rank the teams since the beginning of SimLeague. There's no opinion (in the rankings at least) I strictly added up total wins and losses (playoffs included) and put the teams in order of most wins. So we finally have a rankings nobody can argue with, they are solely determined by how many games you're team has won or lost.

A couple of interesting notes:

-Only 8 teams have a winning playoff record
    -Only 2 teams have never made the playoffs
    -Only 4 teams have never missed the playoffs
    -Only 3 teams have made the finals twice
    -We still have no repeat champion

Onto the rankings (overall W-L):

1. Hornets (371-206) - I don't think anyone will be surprised to see the Hornets here. They are the only team with 2 championships, they put together one of the best regular seasons in the history of basketball a season ago, and are consistently one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

2. Lakers (342-242) - The only team in the league to have never missed the playoffs and has 2 finals appearances. This team never lacks superstars, and BSH always does a great job putting a team of superstars in the best position to win. Balls is always gearing up for the playoffs, probably could have taken the top spot if they were interested in racking up wins in the regular season.

3. 76ers (331-235) - Another team that has never missed the playoffs, and has made it to at least the second round the past 5 seasons. The Sixers really turned it around when they acquired superstar Antawn Jamison and Chauncey Billups finally became the player everyone expected. They also have the yearly favorite for Marcus Camby player of the year award winner, Marcus Camby.

4. Celtics (327-219) - Coming off a horrible injury plagued season the Celtics seem to rack up regular season wins, beat the Bucks in the first round and fizzle out. Had one good championship run in the playoffs but not much else. This franchise lives in salary cap hell, and is praying the old core of Hill, Shaq, and Webber can deliver at least one more run.

5. Grizzlies (320-225) - A staple of consistency, had a rough first year that netted them Joe Johnson, but has been a contender ever since. Has had the same core of Zo, Brand, and JJ for the past 5 seasons, and if it weren't for the Lakers I'd venture to say they'd have given Memphis at least 1 championship. Zo may be on the decline, but I think it's safe to say Brand and Joe Johnson are just entering their primes.

6. Wizards (319-244) - The 4th Eastern Conference team and 3rd from the Atlantic Division. It might have been a down year for the division last year but overall it has to be the toughest in the league. The Wizards are another rare team that has a winning playoff record and has made the playoffs every year. Kobe can make any team but Washington has done a good job pairing talent with Kobe year in and year out.

7. Warriors (313-251) - Whoever takes over for the Warriors might be taking on a dire situation but it's at least a franchise with some success. They played small ball and are the last of the four teams to never miss the playoffs. Once there though they are an even 36-36 never able to break though and win the big one. This is also the first team in top 10 to have multiple GMs.

8. Bulls (302-244) - Before the Bulls hit it big and won the lottery giving them Lebron they had some success. The big man combo of Chris Mihm and Raef Lafrentz allowed the Bulls to be one of only 8 teams to reach 300 wins. And now the future looks bright with a loaded roster this season highlighted by James, Lafrentz, Rose, Marbury, and Bogut.

9. Cavaliers (288-246) - The once proud owner of Timmy D still comes in the top 10. They've done a great job rebuilding after moving on from Duncan who was able to deliver one finals appearance before moving on the purpler pastures. Outside of that one finals playoff run the Cavs only have 3 playoff victories.

10. Raptors (285-242) - And rounding out the top 10 is the 7th Eastern Conference team. Soundwave took over a Raptors team and it's been a building process. He's got a good mix of younger guys and vets on solid contracts (it's been stated that Miller is at least trying to earn his). Has a losing record in the playoffs but has at least been there 5 out of the 6 seasons.

11. Bucks (280-255) - If this were a list of teams who were on an upward trend Quail and the Bucks would be much higher, but strictly from a wins standpoint this is where they are. Another team that has been to the playoffs consistently but has a losing record once they get there. It took a little while to build the team but they are looking good for the future.

12. Trail Blazers (272-262) - The first franchise to be on its third GM so far in the rankings. Came within a game from winning it all in 2003 but lost in game 7 to the Hornets. Then lost Kenyon Martin in FA due to the lack of GM, but Inner_GI seems to have them on the right track, hopefully he doesn't get them to a good place (like game 7 of the finals) then have to quit.

13. SuperSonics (263-266) - The first team in the rankings with an overall losing record. The main difference in the Blazers and Sonics is the finals run otherwise they are very similar. Both are exactly 248-244 in the regular season. The Sonics now have Chris Paul so I imagine they are on the upward trend as well expecting deep playoff runs as long as CP3 is in Seattle or OKC or wherever this franchise ends up going.

14. Mavericks (257-285) - Another team on it's third GM who seems to be heading in the right direction. This is the infamous kaitos team who was basically a feeder team for the Nuggets. How the feeder team is ranked higher (much higher in fact) is an obvious sign busta didn't know what he was doing. The Mavericks are the lowest team to have won a championship as well. Malone made them a super strong team and took them to 2 finals, then Kaitos completely butchered the team for a season or two, and now DarthVegito has them back on the winning track.

15. Spurs (255-280) - Now the lowest ranked team to make a finals. They have a winning record in the playoffs, and were a strong contender back when Pippen and Houston were still playing basketball. Now Pippen is retired and Houston is basically robbing the Spurs. They have some young talent, Jason Kidd, and Houston will be expiring next year, I expect them to get back to their winning ways. And Eazy-P has easily become one of my favorite posters if that's any consolation.

16. Rockets (253-266) - It's a do or die season for the Rockets. They have a losing record overall in regular season and a losing playoff record. This past year they made it to the Western Conf. Finals, can they continue competing in the West or will their identity crisis derail the dynasty they thought they've built.

17. Kings (253-276) - Another team that the loss of a GM severely handicapped. They looked very strong back when they had Vince Carter but the current GM was given a mess. But if the lottery goes their way they could be looking at a quick rebuild. They have the most playoff appearances of all the teams in the bottom half of the rankings and I'm sure NOLa. will improve on this unfortunate season.

18. Timberwolves (246-268) - They've had superstars but just haven't been able to quite put it together. Started off with Shaq and even paired him up with Gasol, but couldn't deliver the playoff run they wanted. They now have a nice defensive core with Boozer, AK, and Felton off a solid rookie campaign.

19. Suns (237-277) - Another team that has a much brighter future than past. They are in a great situation with Vince Carter, David West, Luol Deng, and a solid shot to win the lottery this year. With a great offseason expect Phoenix to make some noise in the coming years. This also completes the run of 8 straight Western Conference teams, maybe the East is just really top heavy.

20. Pistons (236-270) - Had Tray given 1/4 the effort from the beginning that he's giving now I would assume the Pistons would be much closer to the top 10 than the bottom 10. With a strong core of Nash, Yao, and Wallace the third workaholic should be able to join the conversation with his (ex?) coworkers about the playoffs soon.

21. Clippers (228-277) - With just 2 playoff appearances to their name everyone thought they'd get over the hump and make it back this year. They have a solid team highlighted by Dwayne Wade and Paul Pierce, but weren't able to make the late season push. They will get out from underneath of that horrible Courtney Alexander contract this offseason but will have to pay Wade and Hinrich. This is a big season for them but the next offseason will decide their future.

22. Nets (223-274) - They are in the final year of their 3 year plan I think? They don't have the finest history but they have superhuman Dwight Howard and that's all that really matters. He is going to absolutely dominate in New Jersey for at least another 2 seasons and they have some cap space to put talent around him this offseason.

23. Knicks (219-278) - Maybe the biggest disappointment in the history of SimLeague. I hope this doesn't push him off the edge to make him actually quit. But he had Amare, Yao, Parker, and Richard Jefferson. He seemed to have the #1 pick every year but always surrounded these great rookies with 1 year mega deals that never panned out. This team could have been a dynasty for a long time, but it looks like we will never see what could have been.

24. Heat (214-278) - The first of two teams to still be looking to find the playoffs. They do have a franchise center with Andrew Bynum and just made a move that will surely be enough to get them to the playoffs this year acquiring AI. They are in a division with 3 of the top 6 teams in these rankings making it difficult. I hear JNR has just really been focusing on his memoir "Getting High wit Stro"

25. Jazz (211-288) - Have only been to the playoffs once and took that series to 7 games. They appear to be trying a restart and that may just be the perfect plan. They have a good backcourt in Mo Williams and Ben Gordon, but lack the superstars it takes to compete in this league sometimes. They just parted ways with Walker who they've had since the league started, I'd say it's time for a change of scenery for both the Jazz and Walker.

26. Pacers (207-292) - It's strange seeing a team that came on so strong this season this low in the rankings. Broke through and made the playoffs for the first team this season and gave the eventual champs all they wanted in a 7 game series. With a rejuvenated Baron Davis and Ron Artest to pair with the always solid Jermaine O'Neal the Indiana Pacers will be a force to be reckoned with in the East for years to come.

27. Hawks (203-295) - I think the only team to be on its 4th GM the Hawks have never had a GM stay long enough to build any type of consistency. Trell has all but guaranteed to be in the playoffs for the next three seasons once he gave up three first round picks for Andre Iguodala so...we'll see how that goes.

28. Magic (195-297) - The perpetual rebuild continues. This team is always doing something I just don't think anyone ever knows what it is. With 5 picks in the next 3 drafts that could all be high lottery picks the Magic will draft good players let them develop then trade them for more draft picks.

29. Nuggets (193-305) - The only team with 300 losses. Busta tried using the Mavs to build his team up and did an amazingly bad job. The new GM seemed to have come in and saved the day and the core of Bibby, Bosh, and Stackhouse is a good one. Hopefully he can start to make up for all those losses busta can be held responsible for.
    #FREEQUAIL

Well deserved placement there. Gonna focus on getting better. Hoping that was my last losing season for awhile. Hinges on Martin and Ilyasova's development really. Lets hope for some good TCs.

I think 3 is perfect if I had beaten the lakers in the finals, maybe I would be 2.

This is an awesome write up. Really love it. The only minor tweak would be not being so set on ranking them by overall w/l. But well thought out for descriptions. good job man!

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    This is an awesome write up. Really love it. The only minor tweak would be not being so set on ranking them by overall w/l. But well thought out for descriptions. good job man!
    I think without Wins/Losses it becomes a popularity contest on the best GMs

Awesome write up. I expected to be in the 20s. Thanks Wuggie for treating Portland right.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner_GI View Post
    I think without Wins/Losses it becomes a popularity contest on the best GMs
    I'm not sure I agree. I'm not saying take a team with 50 less wins and throw them above someone; but within a few? Mavs are withing 6 wins of sonics have been to the finals twice and one the ship once. I realize that he did add playoff wins and losses, but the fact that they were used as a feeder team and are that close is remarkable.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Kings too high.

And trout IMO

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Kings were perennial contenders before you came in and ****ed the ship, bro.

I'm not sure I agree. I'm not saying take a team with 50 less wins and throw them above someone; but within a few? Mavs are withing 6 wins of sonics have been to the finals twice and one the ship once. I realize that he did add playoff wins and losses, but the fact that they were used as a feeder team and are that close is remarkable.
    I'm not well versed in the history of the league, but this makes sense. Portland had 3 GMs, one that didn't even post a single thing for 3/4s a season before me. That was just lovely. I think the rankings are pretty accurate to how it feels today, so no complaints really from me.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    I think the first question I had for commish was "Is that really my ****ing team?"

Yeah in a perfect world I would make these much more in depth. I think this is a good foundation for me and Xist to update at the end of every season. I'd like the future ones to focus on recent success and reward championships and playoff victories more. Mavs would be higher on that system but this one was strictly W/L. Mavs and Hornets are only teams that have .600 playoff win % if you don't round up.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post

Sorry, Nola.....

I'm a horrible GM. SJax got to NO because of me, Zo got to Memphis because of me, Antawn came to Philly by way of Orlando because of me, Miller got his payday because of me, Ben Wallace was just what BSH needed defensively, and I helped screw over the Kings.......wow.

HR Sim League

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think the first question I had for commish was "Is that really my ****ing team?"
    LOL. Tbh, I wanted Ratliff back in the day... Kings outbid me

Yeah and XIst was the first to greet me which went something like "Hey welcome to the league and I signed Carter **** you you miserable newb hahahahha"

Then 78 said he will crush me and upon looking at my roster I was quite certain he had index'd me. Not good.

Yeah and XIst was the first to greet me which went something like "Hey welcome to the league and I signed Carter **** you you miserable newb hahahahha"

Then 78 said he will crush me and upon looking at my roster I was quite certain he had index'd me. Not good.
    Maybe 78 was saying he will crush ON you... cuz he likes dick. Mainly (but not limited to) All Jefferson's

Archer season?
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Quote Originally Posted by LoCo89 View Post
    Archer season?
    YUP

Use to be favorite show. Change coming.

Use to be favorite show. Change coming.
    ?

?
    God, everything makes you uncomfortable. Just the tip?

God, everything makes you uncomfortable. Just the tip?
    Lol

Archer quotes have gotten me slapped by my girlfriend for over 3 years now. God bless america.

Bout right for the jazz. Tryed every offseason to add to my first two picks to be contenders just never happened
    #FREEQUAIL

Pelicans Sim League

2007-08 Record:15-11 winning!
    PG:Mo Williams SG: Larry Hughes SF: Grant Hill
    PF: Antoine Walker C: Greg Oden
    6th man: Ben Gordon

#FREEQUAIL

Twice I put together one of the best teams on paper and didnt even make the playoffs, idk what more I couldve done

Thread Information