Pelicans Report

Thread: Three Important Questions: Question 3# - Who gets top seed in the West?

Three Important Questions: Question 3# - Who gets top seed in the West?

Right now we have five teams within 1.5 games of each other for the top spot. Let's list them

1. Grizzlies - best winning %. Highest point differential in the league. Defensive juggernaut. Memphis is the toughest place to win. Two stars in Brand and Johnson. Bench is not bad either. Playing really well lately. 15-5 in the last 20 games.

2. Rockets - Offensive juggernaut. Second best point differential in the league behind the Grizzlies. First in FG% and 2nd in 3-point %. Strong rebounding and solid at most places. Suspect bench and poor FT shooting team. Hottest team in the league with a 10 game winning streak. 11-2 in last two sims.

3. Sonics - Another offensive juggernaut. CP3 is a phenom. Allen and Dirk are superstars. Can score at will. Questionable depth and suspect defense. But when they're hot, they're unstoppable.

4. Lakers - Defending champs. Best player in league. Tons of talent and depth across the board. Awesome defensively. Proven playoff winner. Can matchup well with everyone in a 7 game series. Still experimenting right now with gameplan and depth chart. Team could get hot anytime and get the top seed.

5. Warriors - Have cooled down since amazing streak. Consistently very good including the playoffs. Star power in Big Dog and Caron Butler. Not much interior scoring. Depth is not bad but not great. Alot of seasoned veterans who can lead. Tough out in the playoffs.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I think the Lakers are the best obviously. But I do think the Sonics or Rockets have the assets and flexibility to make a move to make things interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    I think the Lakers are the best obviously. But I do think the Sonics or Rockets have the assets and flexibility to make a move to make things interesting.
    I need to improve my depth a bit. Trading for Pietrus helped, but I think I need another piece on the bench.

I'm unsure if I can win the west in the regular season. The West is much much tougher. The Sonics really threw a wrench in it by being this good this fast. Grizz are always a threat. Rockets are damn good. Suns are a sleeper team. Even a team like the nuggets could give a 1 seed fits if they get it together. 1-7 the west is really good right now.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Just made a move to better allocate my depth. Hopeful Tinsley can help solidify my backup point guard spot.

No one thinks the Mavs can give a top seed trouble in the playoffs?

I have finally found my offensive gameplan(knock on wood). My lineup is pretty much set. Only have to tinker with my defensive plan, of which I'm already one of the top defensive teams in the league. If I improve that a bit I think I can seriously be a threat. I think my ceiling is the 5th seed, my floor is the 8th. Maybe I'm keeping my expectations high again as always but the way I played on the same level as the Sonics and Hornets, that's just not a fluke. I have the offense now to produce 100-115 on any given night. I don't think I get past the 2nd round, but I don't think it's that far fetched to say the Mavs could make it to the 2nd round. I may be a tad bit biased though

And to answer the question...Well it's impossible to answer. All of those teams are just really really good. I would say it's out of Memphis, Houston, and Seattle though. Wouldn't be shocked if any of those three win the West. No one of course would be shocked if the Lakers won the West. Once they stop toying with the gameplan and taking the Popovich approach by resting Tim Duncan , they'll start to shoot back up the standings. And we all know how Golden State started off the season. They fizzled a bit as of late but still wouldn't be shocked to see them pull it off either.
    Last edited by DarthVegito; 05-08-2013 at 12:06 AM.

I think my biggest issue is backup center. I'm fine with Pietrus as the backup SF, McKie as the backup guard, and Samaki Walker as the backup PF, but Brad Miller worries me. I may try Walker as the backup center as well, but I'm gonna ride my current gameplan while I'm hot.

Wouldn't surprise me if Memphis or the Lakers get the top seed just because of their defense and inside/outside scoring.

Thread Information