Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pistons Media Session - 2005

SportsGuy back, I want to thank you for having the most entertaining press conference possibly of all time. And for your honest answers. I realize I'm the last person who should be bringing up max or near max contracts because my team hands them out like they are flyers for nightclubs on the Vegas Strip. But what was it in Wallace that you saw that is worth a max (or near max) contract, 14ppg and 7rpg even with stellar defense, aren't quite max numbers.
    #FREEQUAIL

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    SportsGuy back, I want to thank you for having the most entertaining press conference possibly of all time. And for your honest answers. I realize I'm the last person who should be bringing up max or near max contracts because my team hands them out like they are flyers for nightclubs on the Vegas Strip. But what was it in Wallace that you saw that is worth a max (or near max) contract, 14ppg and 7rpg even with stellar defense, aren't quite max numbers.
    The 2.3 steals and 1.8 blocks sure are nice too. I liked him as a young player to complement some holes on defense and rebounding i exhibited last year. He is an inside focused scorer and I am a team that was leaning heavily that way already. It makes 2-5 viable inside scoring options now, and he may just bring out the best in Martin. I have split minutes similarly to this in the past and think that Martin will still see 25-30 MPG and be successful. Sometimes you have to take chances to solidify holes in your general team outlook. Needless to say, I expect to be the most improved team. How big of an improvement that is, well, again, we'll just have to wait and see.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Will Maukie, again.

You're looking to Wallace for rebounds? TROLOLOLOLO. Hashtag Spaghetti

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Will Maukie, again.

You're looking to Wallace for rebounds? TROLOLOLOLO. Hashtag Spaghetti
    Jackson 5.5 rebound
    Martin 5.1
    Wallace's 6.5 will be an upgrade.

Jackson 1.4 steals
    Martin 1.0
    Wallace's 2.3 will be an upgrade

Jackson 0.2 blocks
    Martin 0.1
    Wallace's 1.8 will be an upgrade

Will Maukie, don't be a bitter ex-girlfriend. You're better than that.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrayWithAnA View Post
    So you are saying the discount he took was even more than I originally anticipated? OK, don't really know what to say except I appreciate your financial expertise.

17 PPG... in 39 MPG. Haslem thrived during the Cassel games last year. I anticipate a more than capable PG in Nash can facilitate the PFs offense again. Kaman got 4 points a game in 9 minutes of play being log-jammed behind Yao and Amare. If he regresses slightly to 3.5 every ten minutes, we are still talking 10-11 ppg. I can live with that. He is a very capable inside scorer and will prove it this year. Maybe I stretched giving up a first for him, but with two years left on his deal, I am counting on it being worth it. Wilcox, Gooden, Kaman, and Haslem may not be flashy names, but they will succeed with Nash at the helm.

According to the averages from last year, my players averaged 101.2 PPG. Jackson/Wallace/Martin will be my scoring options at the beginning of the season.
    Bitter? Who's bitter? Surely not I.

Haslem thrived on your team because someone else outside of Jackson and Cassel HAD to take shots once in a while. That's like saying a roach survived because some other rodent decided to leave scraps behind. The Pistons offense was anemic (and that's offensive to Anemic people worldwide).

(PS - this is all good and fun; I'm not really pissed or this bitter... just making things exciting and refueling a rivalry... just wanna make sure Tray knows that before he needs to borrow some of those Wallace dollars for tissues )

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Bitter? Who's bitter? Surely not I.

Haslem thrived on your team because someone else outside of Jackson and Cassel HAD to take shots once in a while. That's like saying a roach survived because some other rodent decided to leave scraps behind. The Pistons offense was anemic (and that's offensive to Anemic people worldwide).

(PS - this is all good and fun; I'm not really pissed or this bitter... just making things exciting and refueling a rivalry... just wanna make sure Tray knows that before he needs to borrow some of those Wallace dollars for tissues )
    Oh, Ian. You act like these words are hurtful. I'm proud of my teams depth and for the first time I won't have to fill in the roster with useless league min guys. Want to know why the Pistons have had a losing mentality? Because I wasn't very good as a GM. I'm not saying I am now, but I see what was needed on my roster and I think I have avoided a long awkward rebuilding process. I knew cashing in my Iverson chip would give me more opportunity to restart faster. Now that I know what is going on and the effort that needs to be invested to succeed, I have rebranded the franchise. My franchise. I got this.

Lets see if GWall has a better chance at division titles and playoff wins now.

Wrap up memo:

Starting 5
    PG - Steve Nash
    SG - Stephen Jackson
    SF - Gerald Walace
    PF - Chris Wilcox
    C - Chris Kaman

Bench
    SG/SF - Kevin Martin
    PF/C - Drew Gooden
    PG - Jarrett Jack
    PF/SF - Ersan Ilyasova
    PF - Udonis Haslem
    SF - Travis Outlaw

Scoring Options
    1. Stephen Jackson
    2. Kevin Martin
    3. Gerald Wallace

Any further questions?

Hall of Famer
    Hi, J. Felders from SI.com. Sorry I'm late, car broke down and nobody wanted to help. "Motor City" my a..........erm, looking at your lineup, you're putting a lot of pressure on Chris Kaman to be the anchor at the center position. How confident are you in his ability to do so? Are you looking to acquire some help?

HR Sim League

Wilcox and Gooden shared time at the 5 last year. They are more than capable to fill in there if needed. I still think that Kaman's ratings and previous production on an incredibly low amount of minutes show he has the potential to breakout. I think the biggest concern on everyone's mind was the unprotected first rounder I gave up to get him. Pistons management realize the investment that we made and both Kaman and the Pistons brass are fully comfortable with that investment.

Whether or not we are mentally deranged will have to be determined at a later date.

And in regards to your car trouble, maybe it's time to replace that early 90s Kia.

Dan LeBatard here for the Miami Herald. You've spent a lot of your time as GM going through the motions and not doing much in the way of appearances and sessions like this. Do you believe that your concentrated effort to be more active has resulted in a more intense desire to build a good team and compete for a championship?

Oh, and Stromile Swift paid me 150 dollars to ask if any of your players get high.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    Dan LeBatard here for the Miami Herald. You've spent a lot of your time as GM going through the motions and not doing much in the way of appearances and sessions like this. Do you believe that your concentrated effort to be more active has resulted in a more intense desire to build a good team and compete for a championship?

Oh, and Stromile Swift paid me 150 dollars to ask if any of your players get high.
    I appreciate the question. I joined the league in the first draft in round 8. Walter McCarty was my only pick on that team in that draft. The rest were simmed. I can't complain too much about it because my team proceeded to make the playoffs that first two years even though I wasn't very active. I spent the next three seasons only focusing on adding pieces to the puzzle. This past year after the Iverson trade I decided that I wanted to build something I could get into. I had seen how much fun everyone else was having with it and knew that I had to put in the effort to make it like that for me. I have probably posted half of my post count here in the past season. I am fully invested in the league now and am having a blast. I was waiting to make a move this off-season and adding Nash, Wallace, Kaman, Jack, and Ilyasova to replace a group of 7 scrubs from 2004's roster has me on cloud 9. Again, I am cautiously optimistic about the coming season since the East is so strong, but I am proud of the Detroit Pistons this year because I decided to be invested in it this year.

SportsGuy: Whoa! Don't take this the wrong way, but I had no idea you've been the GM of the Pistons since the 1st season. I kept hearing all this talk of inactivity and was confused. I thought you took over a season or two ago when you became really active. Again don't take this as an insult it's more of a compliment about recent activity.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    SportsGuy: Whoa! Don't take this the wrong way, but I had no idea you've been the GM of the Pistons since the 1st season. I kept hearing all this talk of inactivity and was confused. I thought you took over a season or two ago when you became really active. Again don't take this as an insult it's more of a compliment about recent activity.
    Understandable, I was one of the guys who was riding a depth chart I liked without submitting one weekly or talking on the boards. It was low on my list of priorities but I've dedicated the needed time to it lately. It's been a lot of fun seeing most of the teams be as active as they are and I would be doing the league a disservice to tone it back again in Detroit. I appreciate the compliment though. Better than hearing my name on the chopping block for sure.

Roster rounded out today by adding a few bench players to the team.

Jason Richardson who spent much of last year as the Lakers backup at SG and SF will serve the same role behind the Pistons' holy trinity - Jackson, Wallace, and Martin. Injuries are a common problem in this league and we were very lucky to replace the Jeff Trepagnier role of 'in case s*** happens' with someone of Jason's calibur. I am sure a lot of people would have loved to have him in a bigger role on their team, but these are the additions that generally decide the fate of middle tier teams.

Walter McCarty is also rejoining the Pistons as the 13th man. He is of particular interest to us because of his defensive skills, but seeing as the rest of his game is not very well rounded, he will probably only see spot minutes here and there. He is a capable enough player to slow the bleeding if the injury bug hits us hard.

Also, we were very pleased to see some of our key players improve in the off-season. We will be focusing additional training sessions on Kevin Martin and Chris Kaman's defense. Both saw improvements in the area during the off-season, but we would like to see them put in a little extra sweat to become bigger impacts on that side of the ball. With 60-70 minutes between the two of them, they will need the extra help.

We have seen some positive press lately, but I am trying to keep the team focused on proving it on the floor. We know that the East is extremely tough this year and we would count it a huge accomplishment to not only finish in the playoff picture but also to be looking at a home-court first series. Spirits are high in Detroit.

Last edited by TrayWithAnA; 04-24-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Correction: Gerald Wallace is gonna work on Defensive Rebounding.

Thread Information