Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pistons Media Session - 2005

Pistons Media Session - 2005

Pistons GM: We have spent every dime of the salary cap and the roster is now set going into the 2005-06 Sim season. I'm gonna turn over the floor to any media members that have questions regarding the past season of acquisitions that have led us in Detroit to this point.

What is your starting lineup and scoring options? Who will move from the SF spot? Wallace or Jackson?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Starting lineup right now is Kaman, Wilcox, Wallace at 3, Jackson at 2, and Nash. Gooden and Martin should see heavy minutes too as the backups at 4 of the starting spots. As far as third scoring option, it's not gonna be Nash but could be either Wilcox or Martin.

New additions this offseason besides Nash and Wallace are rookies Jarrett Jack at PG and Ersan Ilyasova at PF.

Jack may have been the last of the second tier point guards available in the draft but should be a very good fit as Nash's backup. He doesn't have to be a scorer and can facilitate when asked to. There is some degree of stability at PG here in Detroit for the next 4 years.

Ilyasova is listed as a PF, which I already had 3 of with Wilcox, Gooden, and Haslem, but he can also fill in at SF as needed. Upside on this pick was that those three PFs are all expiring this year so Ilyasova can fill in depending on who resigns next offseason.

Overall that is the direction we wanted to go. On an 11 man squad, only four people will be held to playing only one position. Wallace, Jackson, and Martin will all split the time at 2 and 3. Wilcox and Gooden can fill in at Center when needed. Haslem and Outlaw should see limited minutes but they will be available at 3 and 4.

Since our last media session, after the Iverson trade, these are the big moves that have been executed and the end result of the Iverson trade. I will only try and justify the Iverson trade in that it helped me build the team my way.

Nash and Ilyasova for #6 pick
    Kaman for '06 1st
    Gooden for sixers '05 1st
    Wilcox for Cassel

End result of Iverson trade:
    Iverson for Martin, Jack, Haslem, and Wilcox

Bill Simmons, Sports Guy here so how do you feel about the end result of this trade? Do you feel an 11 man rotation might be too deep, do you feel in a superstar driven league you essentially traded a superstar for 4 role players? And is Stephen Jackson playing out of position now?
    #FREEQUAIL

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    Bill Simmons, Sports Guy here so how do you feel about the end result of this trade? Do you feel an 11 man rotation might be too deep, do you feel in a superstar driven league you essentially traded a superstar for 4 role players? And is Stephen Jackson playing out of position now?
    I think I'm 11 deep in roster only. I know my 8-man playoff group and they will get the majority of the minutes all year. In the end, I probably didn't land some of the big guys I thought I would in the draft, but those four and Gerald Wallace make me a better contender I think. My team centered around Iverson didn't produce many good results. I think I am ready to challenge in the division and in the playoffs as soon as this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TrayWithAnA View Post
    I think I'm 11 deep in roster only. I know my 8-man playoff group and they will get the majority of the minutes all year. In the end, I probably didn't land some of the big guys I thought I would in the draft, but those four and Gerald Wallace make me a better contender I think. My team centered around Iverson didn't produce many good results. I think I am ready to challenge in the division and in the playoffs as soon as this year.
    Of course, I won't be calling my own shot like they are in Houston. Lets see how the season shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    And to answer your question, I think Jackson can play the 2 without really sacrificing production.

Of course, I won't be calling my own shot like they are in Houston. Lets see how the season shakes out.
    I didn't call my own shots until I won 51 games last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    I didn't call my own shots until I won 51 games last season.
    I'm just talking about this season. I feel confident, but not overly confident. We'll see how it goes. I believe this is the best roster I could put on the floor.

Bill Paschke: Hi, Bill Plaschke here from the L.A. Times. I have a few questions ranging from expectations to the overall build of the team to a rouging one of your Rivals best players. First off, Coming from a team that gets larger expectations often, what are your expectations for this season and the next 3 years? Do you foresee having to preach patience and process to the media and the team going forward?

Bill Paschke:Secondly, When you were drafting and in free agency, what was your mindset going in? how did you make this new Project plan to rebuild so quickly? What made you choose to rebuild quickly as opposed to waiting maybe 3 seasons like the Raptors are doing?

Bill Paschke:Last and certainly not least, but you're crown jewel of a signing of Gerald Wallace came at the expense of one of your biggest rivals, the Milwakee Bucks. You've been down for the last couple of years and this rivalry has kind of cooled off, but can you talk about the targeting their free agent, your discussions with him and why he came to Detroit?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Will Maukie of BucksNation.com here.

I'm not bitter, I swear. But just curious, why did you go after a guy at a position you were strongest at when the position you were weakest at was balls deep this Free Agency? Don't give me that baloney of "Stephen Jackson can play the 2" gar-bage. If you remember correctly, Stephen Jackson was drafted by us as a 2 and only started excelling when moved to the 3. Options like Vince Carter, who took a paycut to play in Phoenix (maybe his heart was there), were still there.

I truly believe I speak on behalf of the BucksNation.com reader fan base when I say "Hope this move bites the Pistons in the ***. ENJOY THE REBUILD, GERALD. YOU TRAITOURS PIECE OF **** ****er dick ******* tit *******."

Not bitter, I swear.

I'll go ahead and address the same question that has been asked two different ways by the Lakers and Sucks beat writers.

There was one major need going into the postseason and that was point guard. My mentality was either drafting Chris Paul or Deron Williams or going after some big name free agents like Stephan Marbury who is still on the market. Having lost the lottery and drawing the worst case scenario pick, I knew all I would have available is Raymond Felton or BPA. I was offered Nash and pick 11 for pick 6. Nash and Jack seemed like a better option than Felton and chancing it at a big name point guard free agent. Since I address the point guard need in one fell swoop, I knew that my 1 and 4 positions were pretty well covered. To be honest, I took a shot at every major free agent at the other three positions. Okur, Johnson, Brand, and Wallace were all max money contracts I could afford. I also offered the most I could to Kobe, Garnett, and Webber. These were obviously far less than the max, but crazier things have happened. At the end of the day, Jackson can play both positions and I managed to address the need at PG. That combined with a strong front court meant that I had some wiggle room. My offer to Wallace also had a little bit of gamesmanship to it as well. The Bucks knew I'd offer a max for a very worthwhile guy and therefore they had to offer a max. He liked his fit on my team better I guess. Would have liked another player to have had Johnson, Okur, or Kobe, but Wallace's defense is a welcome addition.

Would have liked another player to have had Johnson, Okur, or Kobe, but Wallace's defense is a welcome addition.
    Will Maukie again.

So, you settled? Would've preferred other players, but meh, Wallace will suffice, you suppose? Great words for the defensive cornerstone of your team.

YOU HEAR THAT GERALD? Still... not bitter. Much.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Bill Paschke: Hi, Bill Plaschke here from the L.A. Times. I have a few questions ranging from expectations to the overall build of the team to a rouging one of your Rivals best players. First off, Coming from a team that gets larger expectations often, what are your expectations for this season and the next 3 years? Do you foresee having to preach patience and process to the media and the team going forward?
    Bill Paschke:Secondly, When you were drafting and in free agency, what was your mindset going in? how did you make this new Project plan to rebuild so quickly? What made you choose to rebuild quickly as opposed to waiting maybe 3 seasons like the Raptors are doing?
    Well, Bill, I am fairly confident that the strengths in my front court and my defensive focus will make me a force to be reckoned with right away. I felt like I had some key pieces under contract right now that waiting three or four years to develop would be missing a key opportunity now. I have some very talented guys on rookie contracts, and a stud SF that has four years remaining. I felt like I was only a few pieces away from being a contender in the East. If you remember right, my team was middle of the road with Cassel at starting PG. Adding Nash and Wallace has solidified my starting five and pushed some very capable bodies to the bench. We are very excited about the season starting, and luckily this core is under contract for the next three years.

Bill Paschke:Last and certainly not least, but you're crown jewel of a signing of Gerald Wallace came at the expense of one of your biggest rivals, the Milwakee Bucks. You've been down for the last couple of years and this rivalry has kind of cooled off, but can you talk about the targeting their free agent, your discussions with him and why he came to Detroit?
    I am not sure why Wallace chose to take a pay cut or to wave the seven year option, but I do know that we welcome the GWall and the renewed rivalry that comes with it. It honestly was dumb chance that he signed with us, and we assure Milwaukee that GWall and the Pistons will keep it professional when we are routing them in our four game regular season series.

DEEEEE-TROIT BAS-KET-BALLLLL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Will Maukie again.

So, you settled? Would've preferred other players, but meh, Wallace will suffice, you suppose? Great words for the defensive cornerstone of your team.

YOU HEAR THAT GERALD? Still... not bitter. Much.
    I assure you that he was towards the bottom of my list, but I don't think outside of signing Kobe I could be any happier with the results of Free Agency. I guess twisting my words could be hurtful to Gerald, but probably not as hurtful as waiting till round 2 of free agency to get that max money offer.

Will, U MAD BRO?

I assure you that he was towards the bottom of my list, but I don't think outside of signing Kobe I could be any happier with the results of Free Agency. I guess twisting my words could be hurtful to Gerald, but probably not as hurtful as waiting till round 2 of free agency to get that max money offer.

Will, U MAD BRO?
    As a fan, I can't control how the front office handles their finances with the team. I hear rumors that the original offer was a 7yr/70mil deal. Sounds like a starting point, seeing as Gilbert Arenas, a true team player, decided to help his team in the long run by taking a lower paycut to make the team better. Further reports indicate that the second offer was that of 7yr/107mil (starting 12.4). Not sure how throwing an extra 37million at a guy is disrespectful or hurtful. Oh well, he has plenty of dirty Detroit dollars to wipe those woeful waterworks of his.

Detroit Pistons, continuing the losing tradition since 2002.

GO BUCK YOURSELF, BRAH!

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    As a fan, I can't control how the front office handles their finances with the team. I hear rumors that the original offer was a 7yr/70mil deal. Sounds like a starting point, seeing as Gilbert Arenas, a true team player, decided to help his team in the long run by taking a lower paycut to make the team better. Further reports indicate that the second offer was that of 7yr/107mil (starting 12.4). Not sure how throwing an extra 37million at a guy is disrespectful or hurtful. Oh well, he has plenty of dirty Detroit dollars to wipe those woeful waterworks of his.

Detroit Pistons, continuing the losing tradition since 2002.

GO BUCK YOURSELF, BRAH!
    What does Milwaukee have to offer anyone as a free agent? Cheese? Cows? Motown? Oh wait...That's Detroit.

He took a $700k paycut in that first year and an additional 2.5% on each subsequent year. When you crack 8-digits, does it really matter? Plus our colors are RED, WHITE, AND BLUE!!! 'MERICA!!!

Take your communist state of Milaukee colors with you and GET OUT OF MY PRESS CONFERENCE!!!

...with all due respect

Clark Kent, Daily Planet:

Were you aware that the 11.6 offer was still about 6 to 8 hundred thousand less than the max of players with that experience?

Also, you have spoken very highly of your center and power forward who had scored a combined total of 17 points per game last year. Is there something that the normal people who don't happen to live in Detroit don't know? Is Wilcox faster than a speeding bullet? Is Kaman stronger than a Locomotive? Please help us mere mortals figure out what we don't know or aren't seeing. It's not like we have x-ray vision or anything.

Also, besides Stephen Jackson, where will your scoring come from? Will you be forced to put Nash high on the scoring options, limiting his distribution?

And rumors have it that you and the Bucks GM are friends outside of Basketball. If true, can you describe what kind of knife you used to stab him in the back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

One word: Spaghetti.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    If true, can you describe what kind of knife you used to stab him in the back?
    Hahahahaha

Clark Kent, Daily Planet:

Were you aware that the 11.6 offer was still about 6 to 8 hundred thousand less than the max of players with that experience?

Also, you have spoken very highly of your center and power forward who had scored a combined total of 17 points per game last year. Is there something that the normal people who don't happen to live in Detroit don't know? Is Wilcox faster than a speeding bullet? Is Kaman stronger than a Locomotive? Please help us mere mortals figure out what we don't know or aren't seeing. It's not like we have x-ray vision or anything.

Also, besides Stephen Jackson, where will your scoring come from? Will you be forced to put Nash high on the scoring options, limiting his distribution?

And rumors have it that you and the Bucks GM are friends outside of Basketball. If true, can you describe what kind of knife you used to stab him in the back?
    So you are saying the discount he took was even more than I originally anticipated? OK, don't really know what to say except I appreciate your financial expertise.

17 PPG... in 39 MPG. Haslem thrived during the Cassel games last year. I anticipate a more than capable PG in Nash can facilitate the PFs offense again. Kaman got 4 points a game in 9 minutes of play being log-jammed behind Yao and Amare. If he regresses slightly to 3.5 every ten minutes, we are still talking 10-11 ppg. I can live with that. He is a very capable inside scorer and will prove it this year. Maybe I stretched giving up a first for him, but with two years left on his deal, I am counting on it being worth it. Wilcox, Gooden, Kaman, and Haslem may not be flashy names, but they will succeed with Nash at the helm.

According to the averages from last year, my players averaged 101.2 PPG. Jackson/Wallace/Martin will be my scoring options at the beginning of the season.

I am sure that he is still slightly angered by the surprise signing. I would be too. This is a funny game and the ball bounced my way. I can't help that and won't apologize for it. I wanted to make sure he offered the max that Wallace was due. I'm sure the other two interested parties offered comparable max offers. I have to look out for what is best for the Detroit Pistons.

So you are saying the discount he took was even more than I originally anticipated? OK, don't really know what to say except I appreciate your financial expertise.

I am sure that he is still slightly angered by the surprise signing. I would be too. This is a funny game and the ball bounced my way. I can't help that and won't apologize for it. I wanted to make sure he offered the max that Wallace was due. I'm sure the other two interested parties offered comparable max offers. I have to look out for what is best for the Detroit Pistons.
    Yeah, I didn't think you realized that the max was 12.4.

I know you thought you got him at a slight discount, but it's even better.

I need a SF, but Wallace was too inefficient a scorer for my team needs so I didn't even bother.

*don't hate the player, hate the game.

Yeah, I didn't think you realized that the max was 12.4.

I know you thought you got him at a slight discount, but it's even better.

I need a SF, but Wallace was too inefficient a scorer for my team needs so I didn't even bother.

*don't hate the player, hate the game.
    I was thinking that 12.4 was the max that the team with his bird rights could sign him for. I haven't been in the market for a max money guy in a few years and it is well documented that the numbers previously posted are incorrect, so that is interesting.

I'm going to give him a shot as a scoring option with an inside focus, but I really think that Wilcox and Kaman can produce if needed. I expect my defense to carry this team. Should be fun to find out at least.

Thread Information