Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: If we draft 5th...

Draft If we draft 5th...

...which is were we are slotted right now who is the pick? Let's assume Noel, Smart, McLemore and Porter are off the board. So with the fifth pick of the 2013 draft the New Orleans Pelicans take:

Victor Oladipo

The Case:
    We have other options here. Obviously, Trey Burke is tempting. He's got both the foot speed and lateral quickness we've been missing at lead guard. What's more he plays with intensity and is a natural leader. He can shoot and pass. But he's also undersized and not a truly elite athlete like a Rose or Westbrook. I'm higher on Vasquez than some (while freely admitting his limitations). On balance I'd like to stick with GV another season and see how he does with more pieces around him.
    Some mocks have us taking C Alex Len out of Maryland. I don't like that pick. I'm actually fairly happy with a front line of Lopez, Davis, Anderson, Smith & Amundson. A little undersized, but as so many have noted, there aren't that many true centers in the game these days. Len has potential but we have other needs.

Shabazz Muhammad is route we could go. Lord knows we need more offense and Muhammad can both slash and space from the wing. He has the look of a crafty scorer whose game will grow in the NBA. But he's not a guy right now who can break down defenders one-on-one and he's a little one dimensional with some character questions.

Unlike some of these other guys, I'm not sure I even see Oladipo as a potential All-Star. But he's the kind of guy who glues your team together, a max-effort defender who matches elite athleticism with intense desire and high character. He's offensive game needs work, but that's true for many prospects. Above all he's the kind of player that fits with what the franchise wants to build. Because of his wingspan and strength he can play the three even though undersized there, plus he gives you the flexibility to slide him over to the two if you do deal Gordon and pick up a scoring wing. Bottom line, Oladipo just feels like a player you want on your team. Outside of the top four, he's the guy I'd want the Pels to grab if they don't trade the pick or trade back.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I'd also draft Oladipo if it were to happen like that.

On his nbadraft.net profile it says he is offensively challenged(talking about Victor)
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

The chances of this team going into next season with GV starting at point are slim to none. He would be perfect off the bench.

Unless something surprising happens, I'd say its Porter, Smart, or Burke.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Charlotte- Nerlens Noel
    Orlando- Marcus Smart
    Phoenix- Ben McLemore
    Cleveland- Otto Porter
    New Orleans- ???

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    On his nbadraft.net profile it says he is offensively challenged(talking about Victor)
    1. His mid-range game needs work and he's far from fully developed offensively, but he is incredibly efficient and can hit the 3.

2. The nbadraft.net profile is almost a year old and was before this past college season even began.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    1. His mid-range game needs work and he's far from fully developed offensively, but he is incredibly efficient and can hit the 3.

2. The nbadraft.net profile is almost a year old and was before this past college season even began.
    It was updated march 3rd...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Charlotte- Nerlens Noel
    Orlando- Marcus Smart
    Phoenix- Ben McLemore
    Cleveland- Otto Porter
    New Orleans- ???
    Million dollar question right there.

He is a little challenged offensively for the NBA. But you can see the tools to get better there. With all the usual caveats, I'll point out that Dwayne Wade (who some have compared Oladipo to) couldn't shoot much beyond 15 feet when he came into the league. Don't think Oladipo has Dwade's potential, but I think his game will rise. He can already handle the ball and get to the rim and his shot is coming along. He shot over 60% from the field this year, the highest for any guard in almost ten years.

I'd package GV to move up to get Porter & a late 1st or 2nd rounder

Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    Million dollar question right there.
    I do think we would go Oladipo.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I would not be disappointed with Burke OR Oladipo.

im telling ya, we are gonna luck out in the lottery and get the 3rd overall pick trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    He is a little challenged offensively for the NBA. But you can see the tools to get better there. With all the usual caveats, I'll point out that Dwayne Wade (who some have compared Oladipo to) couldn't shoot much beyond 15 feet when he came into the league. Don't think Oladipo has Dwade's potential, but I think his game will rise. He can already handle the ball and get to the rim and his shot is coming along. He shot over 60% from the field this year, the highest for any guard in almost ten years.
    Wade still can't shoot beyond 15ft

I think we pick Burke but I'd prefer Ola. No I wouldnt, I'd prefer Burke. Man I dont know
    Last edited by All Metro; 04-15-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    I think we pick Burke
    Only thing, if we are picking Top 10 (even more so Top 5), that player will be a Day 1 starter. So if we take Burke, I see us trading Gravy. We would love to keep him on the bench, but it'll hard to have him come off the bench behind a rookie after starting for a full season. Same with Oladipo/Gordon, unless we experiment with him at the 3? But he's more of a 2-guard, correct?

Ok, lets say we trade Gordon, who do you want to draft? And lets say we are keeping him?

Yeh he is a 2 I don't see Ola at the 3.

If we trade Gordon Ola is the pick

I want Marcus Smart either way.

If we keep Gordon I don't really want Burke.

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    I think we pick Burke but I'd prefer Ola. No I wouldnt, I'd prefer Burke. Man I dont know
    welcome to my world, i want burke, oladipo and porter.

if we trade gordon i dont see oladipo being the pick, we will have no offense, if we lose gordon i hope we can luck out and get mclemore.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I do think we would go Oladipo.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Oladipo impressed Monty and the FO with the workouts he will do. Just from te work he puts in we all know he is a hard worker with the willingness to learn an be coached. That's Monty's favorite kind of player.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    I would not be disappointed with Burke OR Oladipo.
    I get a win-win feel out of that pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if Oladipo impressed Monty and the FO with the workouts he will do. Just from te work he puts in we all know he is a hard worker with the willingness to learn an be coached. That's Monty's favorite kind of player.
    I'm not sold on him offensively, but his defense and hustle will translate. And perimeter defense is one of our biggest needs. I also think Monty likes going small for a solid portion of time so I wouldn't be worried about him riding the bench. Anyone notice Gordon was at SF yesterday when Roberts and Greivis were in?

I get a win-win feel out of that pick.
    Agreed.

Thread Information