Pelicans Report

Thread: Memphis Grizzlies: The Student and The Teacher

Memphis Grizzlies: The Student and The Teacher

(I wanted to do kind of an in depth piece that wasn't just reporting on the team's season. After seeing some of the other media sessions, wanted to do one that had some personality. Decided to do something on Zo and Brand after the "Boys are Back" picture. Came up with this while not studying when I should. I know it's really long, sorry it was late, and couldn't decide where to end it. Let me know what you think.)

Hey, come by the Garden and check something out, bring your camera and give the guard my name...It'll be good

It's 11 PM on the night before the season opens, and this is the message I get from a friend with the Grizzlies. For those who don't know, the season opener is probably one of the busiest and longest days of the season. New people around, finding out new policies, trying to convince the new security guard that no, your media pass is not fake and you definitely are supposed to be there. All this exacerbated by the fact that the opener this year is an away game, and I would certainly need my sleep. However, I admit that I'm curious, so I begrudgingly get on my shoes, and walk down the few blocks to The Garden. In less than 24 hours, The Garden and the surrounding area would be teeming with Bostonians, both young and old, eager to see this years version of the Celtics add to the glowing record of the legendary franchise. Tonight though, it was a virtual ghost town, few people and even less cars on the way to the arena. I gave the guard my friends name, wait a few seconds for confirmation which I use to check my camera, and stride into the legendary home of the Celtics unaware of what awaits for me inside.

I head straight ahead to where the floor seats are and hear the unmistakeable sound of a basketball on the hardwood. It is strange to be in The Garden when it's empty, no scoreboard, no fans, no music. Just the lights and that basketball. I see my friend as the one dribbling the basketball and give him a questioning stare as I walk up. "Just wait" he says, "you,re gonna love it." After catching up with him for a second, I hear two guys start to walk up to the court. I recognize their voices as Alonzo's and Elton Brand's before I even see them. They're in shorts and their practice jerseys. They know me from the regular interviews, and recognize me as a member of the media.

After some small talk with them, I finally ask the question that I'm dying to know the answer to, "What the hell am I doing here?" All three of my companions laugh and Zo says, "This is something me and El do on occasion when we can't sleep before a game, though usually its when we're in Memphis."
    Brand chirps in, "Ya man, it's a pain to try to get into another teams arena at night. Basically had to swear on my mom's life that I wouldn't trash the arena or anything to get in. Mentioned that I would be with the old man," Zo chuckles, "and they were like oh well if Alonzo is there it isn't a problem, does he need anything while y'all are practicing. Man! I can't wait to get that kinda clout." "
    You got a long way to go young one..." the 12 year veteran states knowingly. Then Zo finishes, "We basically have a mini-practice between the two of us. Mainly involving playing offense and defense in the post." I quickly learn that Brand attributes these types of impromptu sessions as what has fueled his improvement over the past two seasons since Zo has arrived.
    "So something nice and easy just running through some sets?" I asked still a little confused.
    "Hell no! The old man brings me in to kick my *** for 30-40 minutes under the impression he's 'making me better.' I'm pretty sure he just likes to show me he's still got it and can beat me whenever he wants." Brand exclaims.
    "You have gotten better don't give me that crap" the 37 year old states.
    Brand shoots back, "Yea yea yea... Let's get started so I can get to bed, I'm shooting first for ball"

They take turns shooting three pointers until Brand sinks one and cheers wildly as he gets the ball first. Brand has never even taken a three in an NBA game, and it's explained to me that Zo usually starts with the ball. And so they begin, and I quickly find out that the back and forth between the two was not just for me benefit. These two players, who are normally reserved in their trash talking to opponents, are saying everything and anything to through off the other. It's a constant back and forth between the two and it's certainly fun to see them both let loose. It's a constant battle between the two and as always, a treat to watch Alonzo work the post with moves that he has honed over his many years in the NBA.

However, the youthful Brand is not without his own moves and defensive prowess. He visibly begins to get angry with himself as Zo manages to get around him twice in a row. The competitor in him comes our as soon as he gets down by a few baskets, and he furiously rallies to catch up, showing off his superior athleticism and shooting touch from mid-range.

As the session draws near its close, with Brand up by a few baskets, the wily vet puts together a sequence of plays that can only be gained through experience. First, he baits Brand into taking a shot by playing him off a bit. The elder statesman promptly sends the ball the opposite way when E.B. pulls up for the jumper (blocks count as turnovers) and scores to pull within one. On Brand's next possession, he backs down Alonzo, and as he pushes back, the 'chair is pulled,' and the basketball rolls away from him as he goes down. Alonzo promptly drains a fadeaway to tie the game at 20, next shot wins.

The last play by Brand, is not dramatic at all however. He receives the ball near the 3-Point line and quickly runs down the left side of the lane. He throws up a running hook shot that Alonzo is not ready for and sinks it. Elton falls to the ground throwing his arms up as Zo shakes his head in disbelief. He walks over and helps the younger man up. They both are laughing and smiling.

Even though they are now dripping with swear and panting, they graciously give me a few minutes afterwards to run through a quick, surprisingly candid interview with both of them.

3SOB: So how happy where you two when Zo signed back?

Zo: Extremely. Even though I didn't sign for the first contract Memphis offered, I knew I wanted to come back here. I turned down multiple offers and signed the contract as soon as Memphis upped their offer. I just knew I could still play at a high level and felt I deserved the contract. I plan on fulfilling my end of the deal since they trusted me.

EB: I was ecstatic. (Memphis GM) LoCo assured me that they were trying their best to bring the old man back, and that the contract was a formality, since I knew he wanted to come back and the organization wanted him back. But man, waiting those few days was killer, especially after hearing what the Bucks offered him. Hell, I don't know if I could have turned down that money.

3SOB: Speaking of money, this is a contract year for you Elton, any idea of what is going on?

EB: LoCo and myself have talked about it some, especially when it came to Zo's deal. He's a smart guy, he knows bringing Zo back is going to make me want to stay even more. I don't think Zo would be here honestly unless there was a good chance that I would be coming back. I love Memphis, and the city and organization love me back I think. They're the team that drafted me, and I would love to end my career here honestly. However, at the end of the day, it is a business, and I believe LoCo would understand me making a decision that is best for me and my family.

3SOB: That one was a little tough, but let's move to the present, what are you thinking this year for the Grizz?

Zo: There are a lot of tough teams as always, but I think we have a team that can really contend. Between myself El, and the Armadillo Cowboy (Joe Johnson), thats already a pretty good three that can matchup pretty well with most teams, but to add in Brevin and Peja, we think that is a really good five.

EB: Yea we're definitely looking to make some noise this season come playoff time. It takes time to get used to a team with so many new pieces, but we're confident Coach Hollins will have us clicking in no time. Very excited to see what we can all do together on the court.

3SOB: Alright guys, thanks for the impromptu session, and interview, it was awesome. Good luck tomorrow night.

As the clock rolls to 2 AM and I finish this post, I'm excited for this next era of Grizzlies basketball and hope it brings great success. I for one am excited to see how the Grizzlies will match up against an always talented Celtics team tonight, but also the rest of the league. Elton Brand says his team (as they most assuredly are at this point), is ready to make some playoff noise after some disappointing ends to the last two seasons. And to be honest, I'm inclined to believe him.

Zack Moore: 3 Shades of Blue, a Memphis Grizzlies blog. 3sob.com
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Very well done,, sir.

Amazing.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

That was awesome, felt like I was reading a grantland article.
    #FREEQUAIL

Thanks a lot guys! Glad y'all liked it

Good stuff Loco as always.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Do we get points for media sessions/articles any more?

Thread Information