Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raptors, On Picking Ross Over Rivers...

Draft Raptors, On Picking Ross Over Rivers...

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...terrence-ross/

If you read between the lines, the eighth pick came down to picking between Ross and Duke guard Austin Rivers, son of Doc. Here is Casey on Rivers: “He’s a point guard. He’s got to have the ball in his hands, where we felt like we still needed shooters. I think Austin’s going to be an excellent NBA player. But we needed shooters. [Ross] is a more accomplished shooter right now.”
    Sounds like they thought Rivers was the superior prospect, but that Ross was the better shooter and didn't need the ball so much (AKA he can't create with the ball), and that they drafted someone to pair with Nash. That's fine I guess if they want to build around a 37 year old PG, but I was shocked when they passed on Rivers.

Kind of ironic to me, because everyone else's knock on Rivers is he shoots too much and isn't ready to play point. Hmmm.

Hopefully for us! I was really nervous when TOR picked. I went on their forum, a lot of fans are disappointed because they feel like they should have picked Drummond. Here's an example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-um...e_gdata_player
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Kind of ironic to me, because everyone else's knock on Rivers is he shoots too much and isn't ready to play point. Hmmm.
    I've heard that the same reason you listed above is why his game is geared more for the pros than in college. In college, his style = "ballhog"...in NBA, his style = "someone who can create off the dribble and create his own shots"

@DatPurpleHornet

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Russy View Post
    Hopefully for us! I was really nervous when TOR picked. I went on their forum, a lot of fans are disappointed because they feel like they should have picked Drummond. Here's an example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-um...e_gdata_player
    Joked the F out! Seriously though, Toronto got them selfs another mediocre player, they passed up to much talent!
    Last edited by Trell; 06-29-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

Haha that video was classic. But after watching it, who the **** is Terrance Ross?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

they are going all in for nash

When you're drafting that high... you draft the best player, not a position of need. If they had Ross rated higher than Rivers, then they have to be happy. If not, then they made a bad decision.

Ross is a more traditional catch and shoot type of SG. I could see him having more of an impact than Rivers. If he can improve his scoring off the dribble. I think he was a stretch at 8 though.

My money is going to be on them picking Ross because Nash fits better. Rivers isn't as good of a catch and shoot guy as Ross and is ball dominant. Ross fits perfectly with Nash.

I think Nash ends up in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    My money is going to be on them picking Ross because Nash fits better. Rivers isn't as good of a catch and shoot guy as Ross and is ball dominant. Ross fits perfectly with Nash.

I think Nash ends up in Toronto.
    I always thought Nash wanted to go to a contender, and Toronto is not even close. Toronto drafting pieces for a player they don't have is dangerous and could really cost them in the long run if Nash decides to not play for his home country.

Personally, I had Lamb as the 3rd rated SG behind Beal and Waiters. I thought he would have been a better pick than Lamb.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

With the interviews, body language and demeanor, Lamb really turned off some teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    With the interviews, body language and demeanor, Lamb really turned off some teams.
    I can see that. Despite his talent, that can be a big negative.

Toronto made a BIG mistake passing on rivers.

Rivers has more potential as a scorer but Ross is much more well rounded and teams were worried about Rivers being a ballhog, not that hard to see why they took him

Another teams thinks Rivers is a point guard. Apparently we weren't the only team who thought he had potential at pg. Maybe people outside NOLA will stop calling this a bad pick

Quote Originally Posted by geauxbama View Post
    Another teams thinks Rivers is a point guard. Apparently we weren't the only team who thought he had potential at pg. Maybe people outside NOLA will stop calling this a bad pick
    I'm not big on collegiate stats, but he had more turnovers than assist that's troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I'm not big on collegiate stats, but he had more turnovers than assist that's troublesome.
    He was also playing with a bunch of guards and a Plumlee and was the primary ball handler. I'm not saying he's the perfect fit, but I'm optimistic he will work out as a pg or 6th man

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    He also didn't play with a scorer like Gordon and a player like Davis. Duke was young and inexperienced this year.
    "I am sorry if what I say hurts your feelings....Wait, no I'm not!"

Banned
    what else was there at 10

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Most of the 'negatives' against Rivers are outweighed by the fact that we're only talking about a kid who played a grand total of one year in college and is expressing an eagerness to adapt/focus on team first results. Davis shares this attitude so I'm sure some of that will rub off on Rivers, too. Also consider the fact that the talent surrounding him at Duke was nowhere near as good as the talent surrounding him now.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    Joked the F out! Seriously though, Toronto got them selfs another mediocre player, they passed up to much talent!
    Toronto has historicallt been bsessed with athleticism DeRozan, Quincy Acy, Dior Waiters, V.C., Weems blah blah

I wish we had taken Lamb still.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Most of the 'negatives' against Rivers are outweighed by the fact that we're only talking about a kid who played a grand total of one year in college and is expressing an eagerness to adapt/focus on team first results. Davis shares this attitude so I'm sure some of that will rub off on Rivers, too. Also consider the fact that the talent surrounding him at Duke was nowhere near as good as the talent surrounding him now.
    Rivers had a better freshman year than Russell Westbrook, the 4th overall pick in a stacked draft, had as a sophmore (and as a freshman he shot 55% from the line, which gives precedent to the idea that Rivers' 66 FT% was either an abberation or will be corrected.)

I'm fine with people picking apart Rivers' game, but I do have a problem with the superlatives people throw around, like "incredibly ball-dominant" or that he has a "broken shot"; with someone that young, the flaws are frankly not as important as their innate strengths and abilities. Very excited to have a player who at 19 is already one of the best dribble-drivers in the league.

Thread Information