Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunder acquires Tyson Chandler from the Hornets {multi-merged reactions}

Hall of Famer Contributor Ry4598's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    The salary cap is not going up next year - NBA projections are at best stagnant, so the cap will at best stay the same and most likely go down, meaning we're further over the luxury tax threshold than thought. None of this means the team won't spend in the offseason. All this means is that the team thought Tyson wasn't worth his contract - he hasn't been the same player this season as last, maybe he peaked.
    We don't have room to spend...

Well.Bye to this season, bye to west and paul too? Terrible news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry4598
    Yeah...i didnt really read before I posted that.

Shinn opened the checkbook thinking that it would be for a championship-caliber team. Turns out the evaluation of our team was pretty off, now Shinn doesn't wanna deal with the luxury tax if its not gonna give us a championship. Just poor management all around
    shinn ordered bower to sell our 1st round pick, which was a cheap move

shinn didn't allow bower to spend money to re-sign pargo (not a huge deal)

shinn didn't "open up the check book" for posey. he got a mid-level deal

no moves this offseason were going to make the hornets a title contender. the moves to make were (1) trading butler/james' expiring deal next for an all-star (2) making smart draft picks the next 2 years (3) making a good MLE signing this year or next

Swaggin' ya face off Contributor Dollar Theater's Avatar
    Not even getting a pick out of it is boneheaded at the very least. Completely incompetent at the worst.

very sad day in new orleans sports.
    "Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

— Lafcadio Hearn (Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn)

[Shinn opened the checkbook thinking that it would be for a championship-caliber team. Turns out the evaluation of our team was pretty off, now Shinn doesn't wanna deal with the luxury tax if its not gonna give us a championship. Just poor management all around[/QUOTE]

How do you explain selling our 1st rounder?
    How do you explain getting outbid by a team from Russia?

This is the product of a cheap owner who thought we would not be over the salary cap. Now that the salary cap is going to go down, and he is in danger of paying the luxury tax, we have to trade players.

Shinn should be ashamed of himself

Maybe the Hornets are really saving money for Wade or Bosh?? could it be?

We had to default on our beautiful house (Tyson Chandler) because the new trophy wife just HAD to splurge on that 5th luxury car (James Posey) this autumn.

What a horrible, horrible series of events that got us to this point. Think of all the bums who contributed to us losing a 27 year old quality center who was an even better human being: Morris Peterson, Mike James, Bonzi Wells, James Posey. Chandler's better than the whole damn lot of them.

Westbrook - Green - Durant - Griffin - Chandler that be crazy if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDeal
    Not with the Peja contract

Thats what hurts the most. We get NOTHING for him. Just release the dude. Now I have to watch a frontcourt of Armstrong, Wilcox, Ely, Marks and FN Bowen!!!!! Yeah our window of opportunity has closed real tight. There better be a deal in the works for some help. Legit help. This trade reminds me of Pau to LA for Kwame. LA got everything and Memphis got ZERO.

Quote Originally Posted by kidjock
    Shinn sold our first round pick

Lowballed Pargo

Look at our salary for next year. If the salary cap would have went up, we would be fine, the fact that the cap may go down next year is what kills us.
    Bower is the GM, Scott is the coach. They both thought that only getting Posey would get us a title. they thought we didn't need the first round pick, use the money to get Posey.

Pargo was a shoot first PG, obviously Bower and/or Scott thought Mike James could fill that role.

the salary cap is not going up, this is about the luxury tax anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet
    This move had to be done. Alot of people don't understand basketball on or off the court. TC salary was not even close to his production value on the court. He is overrated by many on this board. I'm glad the hornets made this move. It was best for the franchise. This reminds me of the day baron Davis was traded.

That was the day the music died for a lot of people here...

NO ALARMS AND NO SURPRISES PEOPLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet
    This move had to be done. Alot of people don't understand basketball on or off the court. TC salary was not even close to his production value on the court. He is overrated by many on this board. I'm glad the hornets made this move. It was best for the franchise. This reminds me of the day baron Davis was traded.
    You are wrong. The big difference with Baron was that we were rebuilding. We were "sold" that we were a competitor, but I guess that only lasted for 50 games. So much for "commitment" by this organization.

Devon Hardin is a specimen http://www.nbadraft.net/players/devon-hardin

Look, if they finally figured out that their all-for-naught strategy of mega-bucking peja AND posey then SELLING OUR DRAFT PICK for this year's title isn't working.
    Then, not only this trade, but also the firing of scott is in order !!!

Chandler is in foul trouble every game anyway. Now we have three bigs added, Devin hardin is a specimen, joe smith and wilcox can play center and we finally have enough bigs to have a back-up for west.

Now we need to only play JUJU (and Hardin)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDeal
    No, this does not get us under the cap.

Wow, were we really putting that many eggs in the inconsistency basket that was TC?

Quote Originally Posted by king a
    Westbrook - Green - Durant - Griffin - Chandler that be crazy if that happened.
    Better than us right now.

We got nothing, and we are strapped until Peja is off the books.

Anyone saying that we are gonna spend in the offseason or that this gives us flexibility is just kidding themselves. This is just trying to make up for a string of bad management decisions (Posey, Bonzi/Mike James, selling draft pick)....and now we have to sacrifice Tyson for that..

CP3> Westbrook
    Butler Peja< Durant
    DX>anyone on that team
    our center position > than tc.

i don't mind trading TC, because all of a sudden we have more front court depth. the problem i have with this is now we are going to be putting our faith in Bower and Scott this offseason to fill the hole TC is leaving because we're not getting Green or a draft pick. that doesn't sit well with me at all.

No more reading about Ty's blogs, I wonder if his ankle feels better now.

What the Hornets front office has done today quite possibly was the beginning salvo in the execution of a fledgling NBA fanbase.

You cannot get diehard sports fans in a relatively poor market to commit to a 43-game home schedule with the promise of multiple championship runs, then overcommit to marginal players, blow up the team in the middle of that first season, and not expect to pay dire consequences.

I predict (barring any other moves) that next year's season ticket base will drop from 11,000+ to 7,500 or so. They're losing at least 4 of my seats.

Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    None of this means the team won't spend in the offseason. All this means is that the team thought Tyson wasn't worth his contract - he hasn't been the same player this season as last, maybe he peaked.
    Say What, I'm not saying that we will not spend in the off-season. In actuality, this means we will be BIG TIME PLAYERS in the 2010 free agency. I just think that this move is a salary dump right now. TC is not playing any worse than when he first came here. How can you NOW say he is not living up to his contract?
    Reb 11, 8, 9
    Ppg 11, 8, 8

Thread Information