Pelicans Report

Thread: An open letter to all visitors from a New Orleans Hornets fan

An open letter to all visitors from a New Orleans Hornets fan

With proper credit to the folks at SaintsReport.com, it's about time we offered a similar message for all visitors to our site. Therefore, I have adapted this message, A must read for all visiting team's fans, for our site.

Hello and welcome to our New Orleans Hornets fan site and message board.

I'd like to take a few minutes of your time and clear up a few lingering misunderstandings, myths, and notions.

First of all, this is a website created by New Orleans Hornets fans, maintained by New Orleans Hornets fans, and devoted, primarily, to New Orleans Hornets basketball. While we enjoy having visitors (it must be the southern hospitality within us) we didn't leave the door open because we are hoping to have someone drop in who will change our way of thinking.

We are quite happy being New Orleans Hornets fans. Despite the past history of the team in its former city, we believe in providing the New Orleans Hornets with a clean slate and a fresh opportunity with their new fan base. You, of course, may take issue with that or feel the need to remind us of the team's and owners' past misdeeds, but if you do it here, it probably won't be taken too kindly - in fact it will probably be met with much hostility.

Although New Orleans has been without an NBA team for the past 23 years, we still have many knowledgable fans here who know a lot about the NBA in general -- as well as a host of other topics -- and have taken the time to learn quite a bit about Hornets basketball, along with a host of novices who are enthusiastically reaquainting themselves with the ways of the NBA. If you are here, as you say, to just talk basketball, then don't focus on the few here who may behave badly on occasion -- every team has them, we don't pretend we don't, we just ask that you let them be and they will move along. Rather, focus on the Hornets fans who are sincerely trying to engage you in conversation. They are plentiful.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking this is a <insert the name of any other NBA city/Charlotte> friendly environment. This site is named NEWORLEANSHORNETS.com / HORNETSREPORT.com for a very deliberate reason. We'll talk about upcoming games, player movement, basketball, and anything else but expect it to have an overall pro-New Orleans Hornets bias to it. If you've spent time on other fan sites, you'll have to admit that notion is fairly universal. We'll do our best to keep it as cordial as possible but bear in mind you are the unknown to us. You'll probably be treated in accordance with how you come across. Otherwise, just ignore the pea-brains.

We have a variety of opinions expressed here and demographics represented so you are making a huge mistake if you dismiss us as all hating the Lakers, Knicks, Jazz, you, or anything outside of Louisiana. But you've obviously chosen to be a guest in our home so take the time to familiarize yourself with our guidelines and the environment of the boards. You might decide you don't like it here but we've worked hard to get it to this point and we like it an awful lot. Besides, us New Orleans Hornets fans will still be here 24/7, win or lose, through thick and thin. And, remember, you sought us out and not vice-versa.

We do allow a lot of New Orleans Hornets bravado here because that is part of the Hornets experience. Don't necessarily expect equal time. More than likely you will read critical, disparaging, mean-spirited, and callous statements about things related to your chosen basketball team. Ever been to a pep rally before? Nothing about this site should have suggested to you that we are remotely interested in being all things to all basketball fans. Nevertheless, if things become personal in nature we'll address it. Just keep in mind that this board is moderated by real live human beings who dabble in having personal lives so things might not always be done in what you deem to be a timely fashion. We'll do our best and only expect the same of you.

We do draw the line at "smack talk" that violates our guidelines, though, regardless of who engages in it. Ask some of our members about how some of the unruly in our flock have been handled. (Shudder) If you want to talk smack, we have a board for that, but you will quickly find it a very lonely place populated mostly by outside visitors and the occasional local who is willing to stray into the fray.

Enjoy your stay here -- just don't allow that to interfere with our ability to enjoy your stay here.

Here's to some good-natured discussion and a good game.
    Peace
    Last edited by say-what-x; 07-13-2002 at 09:09 AM.

Say what?

Good stuff link man!!! You are OK for being one of SpongeRidge's cult members.

Failure is always an option Contributor
    Bravo Say whaT !!! A very professional and fair way to explain the board. I believe wholeehardedly in what you said

Hey Spongey Can I give Say What one of my points for that??? (Im serious)

ahh but say-what didn't get a point for it

Originally posted by CharlotteDude

Hey spongey - I suggested the exact same thing on March 4!
    How about another point for me too?

See:

Any way we could have a "New Orleans Only" Forum?
    Why should we have to have a special thread where we can go to talk about us. I thought this was a New Orleans based board foucsed on the Hornets and our city. How have all these other issues become bigger and more important (than us and our team) on our own site?
    Last edited by Harvey Hornet-x; 07-11-2002 at 12:39 AM.

Harvey, I think CharlotteDude just means the idea of the message that I adapted above. This would have looked odd coming from a CLT member. After all, this entire web site is primarily dedicated to discussion of all things related specifically to the New Orleans Hornets. Issues related to the NBA in general or other NBA teams have a place on the NBA Board, which is a part of our primary Basketball Talk grouping (but visitors should understand that even our discussions of NBA matters will have a New Orleans Hornets bias). Topics unrelated to the Hornets or the NBA, although allowed, are certainly secondary and should be posted on the proper secondary boards. These "other issues" and topics will never be bigger or more important than the New Orleans Hornets on this site.
    Last edited by say-what-x; 07-11-2002 at 07:47 AM.

It's all good CLTDude. I was really angry yesterday and was looking for a reason to further my position. I just refuse to sit back and listen to the arrogance anymore. You played no part in that at all. This is a New Orleans based web site and I want it to stay that way. The owners and/or mods accomodated our guests from CLT by posting some news regarding the expansion team, and all the crap started again. It provided a forum for them to start the old CLT/NO junk again. Somehow, they thought the news of CLT was more important than our Hornets. Then, it progressed into the I'm better than you, we hate the owners, etc. garbage ALL OVER AGAIN. If CLT news was relegated to the NBA News forum, it would put into perspective as to how it ranks versus the purpose of this board. But, that is not my decision. I think everyone needs to realize FIRST AND FORE MOST, this is a New Orleans Hornets web site created by and for fans of the New Orleans Hornets. I hope we keep it that way.

I just looked at the time line of say-whats open letter versus my tirade. I guess he saw it coming. Isn't that funny? Something made him post this letter a day before I went balistic. Could it have been my outlandish stories about being the founder of the Arena Baseball League or building a floating open aired arena for an NBA team to play on? Could it have been all of the fun we were making of each other and good times we had been having on the board? Could it have been my challenge to the Hornets to trade Davis and get something for him because he doesn't want to play here? Maybe he was worried some New Orleans posters would not be able to handle my opinion on that issue. Could it have been my accusations of George Lynch wanting out? Could it have been me and some NO posters disagreeing about the Alexander trade? Could it have been certain posters bashing on the Hornets owners, our city, and fans again? Even if bashing is done politely, I am still not receptive! Could it have been a certain city using our forum to explain why they are so much better than us and that is why they will get a new team right away instead of 23 years like we had to wait? Could it be the arrogant patronizing tone SOME of our visiting friends seem to have? What made say-what write this letter. I need to think about this one... It must be me...
    Last edited by Harvey Hornet-x; 07-13-2002 at 02:28 AM.

Harvey, not quite sure how exactly to respond to your post other than to say the reason I posted this was because over the last few days certain "visitors" to OUR NEW ORLEANS HORNETS site had developed an expectation that we should for some reason curb our enthusiasm for the New Orleans Hornets and cater to their non-New-Orleans-Hornets interests and sensibilities. I realized that simply trying to ignore those who would come to the board to criticize us for wanting to discuss matters on our main board with a New Orleans bias was not going to curb their divisive efforts. The title of the thread is after all addressed to our visitors, not the New Orleans Hornets fans.

As my post clearly says, this is a New Orleans Hornets board first and foremost. "We do allow a lot of New Orleans Hornets bravado here because that is part of the Hornets experience. Don't necessarily expect equal time. More than likely you will read critical, disparaging, mean-spirited, and callous statements about things related to your chosen basketball team. Ever been to a pep rally before? Nothing about this site should have suggested to you that we are remotely interested in being all things to all basketball fans."

Now for your many questions.......BTW, your post gives me the opportunity to further clarify to our visitors how this New Orleans Hornets fan-run community is first and foremost just that - a community of individuals dedicated to having fun while also exchanging differing opinions (sometimes in a heated fashion) about the daily ongoings of what is OUR NEW ORLEANS HORNETS, while still being able to remain friends.

I for one have enjoyed every last minute of the outlandish stories about your being the founder of the Arena Baseball League & building a floating open aired arena for an NBA team to play on and all of the fun we were making of each other and good times we had been having on the board. (after all, I was a willing and active participant in those threads). It was at this time that I realized that we had evolved from a loose gathering of people with similar interests into a community bound by a common interest in having fun while discussing our New Orleans Hornets. After all, if you can't laugh at youself, you're probably taking life way too seriously. Fun is and should be our first and foremost priority when it comes to discussing matters on this board and we certainly invite everyone to join the fun - just remember to liberally use those smilies.

Harvey, I never worried that some New Orleans posters would not be able to handle your opinion on the Baron Davis issue. You have helped shape what has become an insightful debate of the Baron Davis issue and free exchange of many opinions on each side of the issue, and your challenge to the Hornets to trade Davis and get something for him because he doesn't want to play here may ultimately become the team's only option. Sure there is a difference of opinion on the Baron Davis situation amongst the New Orleans Hornets fans, but that's what fans do - argue about player contract extensions and trades.

Could it have been Harvey's accusations of George Lynch wanting out? No, never even crossed my mind. I must admit I was surprised to learn that another player was expressing a desire to leave (albeit because of his wife) but those kind of things happen and usually the wife realizes that she does not control where the league tells her husband to play.

Could it have been Harvey's and some NO posters disagreeing about the Alexander trade? Again, there is always a difference of opinion amongst the fans when it comes to trades and acquisitions, but that's what fans do - argue about player trades.

Now to the meat of Harvey's post - "Again, Could it have been certain posters bashing on the Hornets owners, our city, and fans again? Even if bashing is done politely, I am still not receptive! Could it have been a certain city using our forum to explain why they are so much better than us and that is why they will get a new team right away instead of 23 years like we had to wait? Could it be the arrogant patronizing tone SOME of our visiting friends seem to have?" - Here you have hit on the motivation for my post. After reading a post by WCH on the suggestion board about how he thought the board needed to better explain it's orientation to our visitors like SaintsReport does, I thought that this post was warranted. And again, maybe it was you in some way - your unyielding dedication to focusing on discussing the New Orleans Hornets on this board - that also motivated this post. But be certain that it is my desire to return to the good times shared on this board by one and all - even in disagreement - that is my underlying goal.

Now get out there and post you couillon before you get choo rouge.
    Last edited by say-what-x; 07-13-2002 at 08:00 AM.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Originally posted by say-what
    Harvey, not quite sure how exactly to respond to your post other than to say the reason I posted this was because over the last few days certain "visitors" to OUR NEW ORLEANS HORNETS site had developed an expectation that we should for some reason curb our enthusiasm for the New Orleans Hornets and cater to their non-New-Orleans-Hornets interests and sensibilities. I realized that simply trying to ignore those who would come to the board to criticize us for wanting to discuss matters on our main board with a New Orleans bias was not going to curb their divisive efforts. The title of the thread is after all addressed to our visitors, not the New Orleans Hornets fans.

As my post clearly says, this is a New Orleans Hornets board first and foremost. "We do allow a lot of New Orleans Hornets bravado here because that is part of the Hornets experience. Don't necessarily expect equal time. More than likely you will read critical, disparaging, mean-spirited, and callous statements about things related to your chosen basketball team. Ever been to a pep rally before? Nothing about this site should have suggested to you that we are remotely interested in being all things to all basketball fans."

Now for your many questions.......BTW, your post gives me the opportunity to further clarify to our visitors how this New Orleans Hornets fan-run community is first and foremost just that - a community of individuals dedicated to having fun while also exchanging differing opinions (sometimes in a heated fashion) about the daily ongoings of what is OUR NEW ORLEANS HORNETS, while still being able to remain friends.

I for one have enjoyed every last minute of the outlandish stories about your being the founder of the Arena Baseball League & building a floating open aired arena for an NBA team to play on and all of the fun we were making of each other and good times we had been having on the board. (after all, I was a willing and active participant in those threads). It was at this time that I realized that we had evolved from a loose gathering of people with similar interests into a community bound by a common interest in having fun while discussing our New Orleans Hornets. After all, if you can't laugh at youself, you're probably taking life way too seriously. Fun is and should be our first and foremost priority when it comes to discussing matters on this board and we certainly invite everyone to join the fun - just remember to liberally use those smilies.

Harvey, I never worried that some New Orleans posters would not be able to handle your opinion on the Baron Davis issue. You have helped shape what has become an insightful debate of the Baron Davis issue and free exchange of many opinions on each side of the issue, and your challenge to the Hornets to trade Davis and get something for him because he doesn't want to play here may ultimately become the team's only option. Sure there is a difference of opinion on the Baron Davis situation amongst the New Orleans Hornets fans, but that's what fans do - argue about player contract extensions and trades.

Could it have been Harvey's accusations of George Lynch wanting out? No, never even crossed my mind. I must admit I was surprised to learn that another player was expressing a desire to leave (albeit because of his wife) but those kind of things happen and usually the wife realizes that she does not control where the league tells her husband to play.

Could it have been Harvey's and some NO posters disagreeing about the Alexander trade? Again, there is always a difference of opinion amongst the fans when it comes to trades and acquisitions, but that's what fans do - argue about player trades.

Now to the meat of Harvey's post - "Again, Could it have been certain posters bashing on the Hornets owners, our city, and fans again? Even if bashing is done politely, I am still not receptive! Could it have been a certain city using our forum to explain why they are so much better than us and that is why they will get a new team right away instead of 23 years like we had to wait? Could it be the arrogant patronizing tone SOME of our visiting friends seem to have?" - Here you have hit on the motivation for my post. After reading a post by WCH on the suggestion board about how he thought the board needed to better explain it's orientation to our visitors like SaintsReport does, I thought that this post was warranted. And again, maybe it was you in some way - your unyielding dedication to focusing on discussing the New Orleans Hornets on this board - that also motivated this post. But be certain that it is my desire to return to the good times shared on this board by one and all - even in disagreement - that is my underlying goal.

Now get out there and post you couillon before you get choo rouge.
    See Harvey, I stole your thunder!

Both of you guys know damn well why this post had to be made. It was all Harvey's fault. He tried to challenge Spongeridge with this discussion of an alternative to the Spongeridge Hornets. You remember, don't you? Can you say HARVEY COULLIONS? That's what got it started. I remember, I was there! I am not going to play for the Harvey Coullions. I have been taught to obey Spongeridge. Obey, obey!

Ehhhhh coullion, you are giving me the choo rouge!!! I know I played a big part in the arguing the other day, I was just trying to get to the cause. It doesn't excuse me for my behavior, but say-what's response to my post does bring some clarity to the cause of the problems on the board as of late.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Originally posted by Harvey Hornet
    Ehhhhh coullion, you are giving me the choo rouge!!! I know I played a big part in the arguing the other day, I was just trying to get to the cause. It doesn't excuse me for my behavior, but say-what's response to my post does bring some clarity to the cause of the problems on the board as of late.
    You were choo rouge at least one day before you claim to be! I am always choo rouge at least two days before I claim to be, but please don't tell anybody that!

Good addition say what.

Hall of Famer
    Ah, good. I feel like posting again. Back during the Relocation Wars, when Grandadmiral killed Harvey's father, the NO v. CLT sniping was legitimate and sometimes even fun. I assumed it would die down soon after we won, and we could get on with getting on. Then, to paraphrase the film Pearl Harbor, all this happened. I think it is linked to a few CLT people feeling their oats because of the proposal to put a new team there. They feel vindicated.

Regardless of the reason, it gets tiresome and I stopped posting for a while. I even couldn't get up the energy to post the joyous news on the Everything Else board that Gumbo was returning. I assume this has already been done.

Good post Say-what. It's great to be here.

Welcome back!

Westbank Hornet, I was wondering where you disappeared to. For a while I was begining to wonder if the S.B.I. had finally silenced you for the Golden Spongeridge incident and your disdain for the HubCappians.

And no, the Gumbo news I don't think was ever posted, although I did post it on SaintsReport. I must be slipping.

Banned
    if you want to keep it new orleans keep it in no so i don't accidentally stumble into this site and read all the bulls^%$ because you really sound a little well you know...

Travis Bickle Contributor cab694's Avatar
    Originally posted by natedog
    if you want to keep it new orleans keep it in no so i don't accidentally stumble into this site and read all the bulls^%$ because you really sound a little well you know...
    HUH? STUMBLE? WHAT? SOUND HOW?

Chairman Of The Bored

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous." -cab694

Originally posted by natedog
    Simple - You do not like it, don't come here!

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN

Simple - You do not like it, don't come here!
    I couldn't have said it any better, HF.

Thread Information