Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remember The Sheiks? Any other NOLA based bands worth mentioning?

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar

Remember The Sheiks? Any other NOLA based bands worth mentioning?

If you grew up in the New Orleans music scene in the 70's and 80's, I hope you had a chance to see The Sheiks live.

They often played at Jimmy's (uptown on Willow Street), Ole' Man Rivers and the President (riverboat). They also played a lot in Baton Rouge, Slidell, Thibodeaux, Gulfport, Destin, etc. The band often traveled up and down the "55 Highway" as they also frequented their hometown of St. Louis as well as regular visits to Memphis and Chicago.

Check them out on You Tube. I'm attaching "55 Highway" from a show in Baton Rouge in August of '82. "Kip714" has uploaded about 10 clips (so far) on You Tube. If you are a Sheik Freak, these are must see videos. If you search through Kip's files, you'll find Rocky Road, Already Been to the Water, I'm Blind, God Knows, City Lights, La Savage, and many other Sheik favorites.

The Sheiks are...
    Michael O'Hara (vocals/keyboard)
    Leslie (Marty) Martin (guitar)
    Nick Ferber (bass)
    Rob Sanders (drums)

A couple of years prior to disbanding, in an attempt to "go public" (commercial), the Sheiks added a second keyboard player and vocalist for a short period of time. His name was Billy Stroud.

I miss you guys. Thanks for the great memories!

Is this thing on?
    I never got to see them play, I was a little young to get into the bars they played. But, I do remember they played a bar that used to exist here in LaPlace pretty often.

I had a cassette copy of their album once upon a time, not sure what happened to it.

Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by stickman125
    But, I do remember they played a bar that used to exist here in LaPlace pretty often.
    Mox Nix.

Been there, done that!

Besides Ole Man Rivers, Jimmy's (the best times for me were at Jimmy's uptown) and the President, here are some other places I can remember seeing them...

The Saenger (opened for The Kinks)
    Slidell Hotel Bar (Slidell)
    Papa Joes (Baton Rouge)
    The Arches (Marrero on Lapalco)
    Mr. Bojangles (Gretna on Belle Chasse Hwy)
    The Spectrum (Thibodeaux)
    Night Town (Destin)
    Cheyenne Social Club (Gulfport)
    Jazz Fest (New Orleans)
    Palace Saloon (Lakefront New Orleans)
    Richie's 3-D (Kenner)

I've been to a place in St. Louis that they used to play called Mississippi Nights too.

I remember them opening for Huey Lewis and the News at Jimmy's. This is before Huey hit it big. Frankie and the Knockouts too.

I also remember the Sheiks doing a TV jingle/video promo for Channel 6 at Mardi Gras time.

Off the top of my head, this is all I can remember for now. Those days are still kind of foggy...

While the Sheiks were pleasing the rock crowd, another local band (this one somewhat "new wave") was hot in the uptown area. The Cold, featuring Barbara Menendez (vocals/keyboards) and Vance Degeneres (bass/vocals/Ellen's brother) also played the circuit of Jimmy's, Jeds, etc. Vance, known for his time on Comedy Central and as the creator of Mr. Bill, is now a member of Cowboy Mouth.

The drummer for The Cold, Chris Luckette, had been with another popular NOLA band (The Normals) prior to joining Barbara and Vance. The other members of the band were Kevin Radecker (lead guitar/vocals) and Bert Smith (rhythm guitar/vocals).

The content of this video was taped at Jimmy's Music Club, 8200 Willow Street, Uptown New Orleans! I spent way too many nights there in my youth.

The Cold released a CD a few years ago. It is remastered tracks of old performances. If you were a Cold fan, get it if you can find it! It's good. It's called "Cold Sweat".

...and since I mentioned Cowboy Mouth...heres a little of Fred LeBlanc and the boys! Are you with me?

Cake Magazine: "...on a bad night they'll tear the roof off the joint and on a good night, they'll save your soul."

The Cold played a lot of CYO and high school dances in the early 80s.

Good stuff.
    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

seeking a higher level Contributor Wingman's Avatar
    Zebra used to play St Edwards CYO a lot. Hey HH, what about Penny Lane and TQ and the Topcats (now just known as The Topcats)? I used to see them both at Lakefront bars like Augie Delagos and The Paddlewheel.
    Last edited by Wingman; 03-17-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman
    Zebra used to play St Edwards CYO a lot. Hey HH, what about Penny Lane and TQ and the Topcats (now just known as The Topcats)? I used to see them both at Lakefront bars like Augie Delagos and The Paddlewheel.
    Yep. Can't believe I forgot Zebra. If I'm not mistaken, the Paddlewheel and the Palace Saloon are one and the same (place). Penny Lane and the Topcats weren't my cup of tea but I definitely saw them a few times.

Other bands coming to mind are Royal Orleans (later to be known as Persia) and 24K. There was another local group that did Yes and Jethro Tull to the "T". They were called Aura.

B-97 did an album with all local bands. They used to play the cuts from their album on the air. 24K's song was called "I Gotta Know".

And how can I forget Ezra (and the only band better than them...Better than Ezra)?

Here is Zebra's "Tell Me What You Want" music video.

...and their CD promo which mentions them in New Orleans before they signed a record deal, Ole Man Rivers, promos from former Howard Stern show members Jackie Martling and "Stuttering" John Melendez and a spot by Michael Costello (Michael in the Morning).

Here's a Sheiks clip I really like. Michael was raised in a church environment. This song definitely has some gospel influence. Marty (the guitar player) was an incredible live performer. One of his guitars used to hang in the Hard Rock in NOLA. Not sure if it's still there. Some of the HRC paraphernalia goes on tour and moves back and forth between restaurants from time to time.

One night at Jimmy's in the early 80's, I got a chance to see Greg Wright. He was a guy who looked a lot like Jimi Hendrix. Coincidentally, he played left handed. Like Jimi, he was a left hander who played a right handed guitar (flipped over). He put on an awesome show. He's in this very short clip (and many years after I saw him) at the very end on the left hand side of the screen.

Is this thing on?
    What about Razor White? Weren't they a local band? I seem to remember a couple of friends of mine being fond of them.

Anyone remember Multiple Places? Album was called Duncan, after the lead singer who had killed himself.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Zebra, bra. They also played the Erster fest out in da parish, bra!

Is this thing on?
    Any old punk rockers remember Shell Shock? They were actually not bad.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WCH
    Zebra, bra. They also played the Erster fest out in da parish, bra!
    Da'bra.

Anyone have an image of that design you used to see around the city on Zebra tshirts around the mid-80s ... the one with the chess pieces.

The tip of your love!

/this rocks

...and if you didn't like that...you can just flow like a river

Hey, hey, hey...hey hey!!!

I'm a Sheiks fan

WOW, Harvey, I can't believe you & I don't know each other!! I saw the Sheiks everywhere in NOLA, Thibodaux, Memphis, St. Louis & Chicago. If you ever bought a Sheiks t-shirt, cap or 45, you bought it from me. I sold merchandise for them from right before they signed with Miller beer as a sponsor (right before the World's fair) to their farewell concert at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis. I started seeing every show back in 1978 though. Sheba was on my license plate and I spray-painted their logo on a few walls near Jimmy's and beyond. (Did I say that outloud?)
    I also followed the Cold during that time and was thrilled to see Vance back with Cowboy Mouth two weeks ago at Jazz fest.
    I have several videotapes of Sheiks shows, but I really appreciate you putting up the you tube clips! I never thought to look there.

I found a website of Michael's Christian musical that he wrote & is performing in St. Louis. Some video clips are here: http://www.michaeldreams.com/music.html
    The times they change, but the turban remains the same.
    This website also contains the unlikely blurb that Michael will begin performing in Branson, MO starting Aug 29th. (?)
    Anyway, it was much fun strolling down memory lane tonight and a wonderful lane it was......

Sheba, I most certainly DO remember you. I was one of the West Bank boys (back in the day).

I saw Cowboy Mouth in Houston a couple of weeks ago. It was great seeing Vance with them. I chated with him for a few minutes after the show...he's a cool dude.

I found that web site for Michael a couple of weeks ago. As a result, I've exchanged a few emails with him. He remembered my kid....who he took on stage with him at Jazz Fest MANY years ago. My kid was 1 at the time.

I'm pretty sure Michael is performing in Branson on a regular basis.

Glad to see you found our site.

seeking a higher level Contributor Wingman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    Da'bra.

Anyone have an image of that design you used to see around the city on Zebra tshirts around the mid-80s ... the one with the chess pieces.
    cover of their 2nd album?

Saw Cowboy Mouth again last week in Dallas! Freaking awesome!

/as usual

Here is an unusual CM performance...very solemn. They wrote this song as Katrina unfolded.

...and Cowboy Mouth on Regis and Kelly last week (from New Orleans). They also performed a piece of a new song called "Kelly Ripa". It was freaking hilarious.

"Kelly Ripa
    Kelly Ripa
    A mommy
    with the body
    of a strippa"

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman
    cover of their 2nd album?

that's the one.

The Sheiks

I cant believe I found this post. I was (am) a huge Sheik fan. I was there for almost every performance at Ole Man Rivers and at Jimmys. Me and a few friends became very fond of Michael and were there when he got married to a lovely girl Yvette ( they divorced) I kept up with Michael for a few yrs after he moved to LA but havent had contact in maybe 15 or more yrs. I live in New Orleans (Arabi) and lost everything INCLUDING 2 copies of "Going Public" lp , a homeade cassette of said LP and a early recording of a song called "I Know A Place" which was not recorded anywhere to my knowledge. If anyone who reads this has a copy of the album, I would be forever in your debt if you email me and allow me to copy , have you copy or in some way let me have a copy of those songs once again. Also please send me any links to any video or musical recordings of The Sheiks. I am so glad i saw this post and truly hope that one of you old tried and true fans will help me get back a little of what I lost.

When emailing me, please put "The Sheiks" in subject .

Thank you so much !!

[email protected]

Thread Information