Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Remember The Sheiks? Any other NOLA based bands worth mentioning?

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Welcome to the board. I hope you find what you are looking for. Check in often.

Time for some football!!!

All-Star
    I loved the Cold. I was an undergrad at Loyola when they were playing all over town. Babs was an important part of my fantasy world.

Vance deserves props not only for being Ellen's brother but as one of the creators of Mr. Bill of Saturday Night Live fame.

OH NOOOO!!!

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roylt28
    I cant believe I found this post. I was (am) a huge Sheik fan. I was there for almost every performance at Ole Man Rivers and at Jimmys. Me and a few friends became very fond of Michael and were there when he got married to a lovely girl Yvette ( they divorced) I kept up with Michael for a few yrs after he moved to LA but havent had contact in maybe 15 or more yrs. I live in New Orleans (Arabi) and lost everything INCLUDING 2 copies of "Going Public" lp , a homeade cassette of said LP and a early recording of a song called "I Know A Place" which was not recorded anywhere to my knowledge. If anyone who reads this has a copy of the album, I would be forever in your debt if you email me and allow me to copy , have you copy or in some way let me have a copy of those songs once again. Also please send me any links to any video or musical recordings of The Sheiks. I am so glad i saw this post and truly hope that one of you old tried and true fans will help me get back a little of what I lost.

When emailing me, please put "The Sheiks" in subject .

Thank you so much !!

[email protected]
    Check your private messages. BTW, in my message to you, I forgot to mention that I have "I know a place" on CD live from Jimmy's (probably from about 1978). Welcome to the site.

It is Like Coming home! How Ya'll Doing

WOW! I love this thread, so many memories; I am from Nawlin's, I moved away in '85 after graduating from UNO. I remember all these bands, I actually played in a few short lived bands at some of these clubs in the early 80's. Sheiks where always awesome; Zebra, I saw them many times in their early days.

I also remember a few others Bands, and many more whose names I can't remember.

One I remember was the "Red Rockers". More Punk like the Clash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rockers The Red Rockers had a MTV video, "China" which I recall had some clips from the stage of Tipitina. Here is a myspace music page with mp3 links and links to some youtube videos (seems to take some time to load, worth the wait).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=46062955

I remember The Radiators playing at Luigi's near UNO.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Radiators_(US)

Remember WoodenHead (rock fusion jazz)
    (just found this link) http://woodenheadmusic.com/index.html

Remember The Meters? (kind of before my time but open link: Cissy Strut)
    http://www.themetersonline.com/

Remember androgynous power-pop-rocker Lenny Zenith & Pop Combo or the Backbeats?

Also all the bigger national acts:
    Little Queenie & the Percolators
    Professor Long Hair
    Doctor John

I use to deliver the news paper to Pete Fountain's house in lake front area when I was a kid! One time I went to the door to get payment for the Times Picayune. I met Pete and he have me a bald is beautiful tee-shirt and an Album.

Some venues I remember, Luigi's (near UNO), The Warehouse & Tipitina's. Tipitina's web site (I just found out) has a list of bands that played there:http://www.tipitinas.com/content/artist.asp?type=music

Those where interesting days. It was before the Internet and cable TV and MTV was just happening.

"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez"

PS I haven't been back to new orleans in a long time and definitely not since Katrina. I have no family that lives in New Orleans any more, well except for the family mausoleums/crypt in the cemetery at the end of canal street.
    Last edited by gmcjetpilot; 10-02-2008 at 03:10 PM.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    gmcjetpilot, welcome to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot
    One I remember was the "Red Rockers". More Punk like the Clash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rockers The Red Rockers had a MTV video, "China" which I recall had some clips from the stage of Tipitina. Here is a myspace music page with mp3 links and links to some youtube videos (seems to take some time to load, worth the wait).
    Welcome to the site.

FWIW, John Thomas Griffith, now lead guitarist and vocalist with Cowboy Mouth was with the Red Rockers and was the vocalist for "China". Cowboy Mouth has done a remake of China (that JTG sings) that was on their EASY CD. It's totally different than the Red Rockers version, but it's good.

In another odd twist, when the Rockers were hot, the Sheiks long time road crew (Joe, Pete and Ross) defected to join the Rockers tour. Kind of brings this thread full circle.

Whoa. Those are seriously before my time. I think the only music I was into at that time was the theme song to Romper Room.

A lot of people around my age speak of Acid Bath in those same reticent tones. For those unfimliar, they were a metal band that frequently played Zepplin's in Fat City back in the mid-90's. Their blend of poetic imagery with melodic moans and guttural screams drew them as many comparissons to Jim Morrison and The Doors as anything in their own genre, and really set them apart from other similar bands. Just as they were set to release their second full album, their bassist died in a car fire and the rest of the members split up. Dax Riggs, the lead vochalist/songwriter for the group, still performs occasionaly with his current outfir Deadboy and the Elephant Men.

A few years back when I used to live in Chalmette, I would stop in to The Matador on my way home from work and catch whatever band happened to be playing. I saw Supagroup, Hazard County Girls and Glory Bee more times there than I can soberly recall. I'm not certain if they all relocated or not, but I don't see any of those bands performing much anymore since Katrina. I also would catch Quintron and Miss *****cat there and at their place, The Spellcaster's Lodge. I'm not sure they are a band as much as they are a muscial excercise in absurdity, but you can't help but love them for it.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH
    John Thomas Griffith is the lead singer in that Red Rockers "China" video. Here's a pic of JTG tonight as Cowboy Mouth played the Old Town Spring Crawfish Festival (just north of Houston). John is on the far left.

Notice Fred Leblanc (the drummer) wearing a Marques Colston jersey?

Wow, what a thread. Wish I'd have found it a long time ago.

I was fortunate enough to work in the NOLA music scene during the late 70's early 80's. I held a spot at Sound City more than a few times at both locations. It exposed me to local bands. I ended up being the soundman for the Normals, the Topcats & Oz/(turned into Lillian Axe).

The Sheiks were great musicians and friends. I'll never forget the crazy times had with them. One of the clubs that was not mentioned as a Sheiks place was the old PJ's at Haynes and Downman. Plus the gang of band/musician/tech friends that hung out at the shows. Deano Kruse really comes to mind. He and Leslie Martin "Marty" Denard were old friends and Dean idolized Marty and his guitar "technique". Foghat was after Nicky to play with them. Seems like after Ross, Pete and Joe vacated, it all went away. Ross owned and took the PA system and, although I spoke to Rob about what they were going to do, it never really seemed to come back together for them. Rob was the "quiet" drummer, but he was the financial/booking brains behind the outfit. Saw Joe working at auto parts store on Vets Hwy a long while back. We all used to do the BB Gun wars thing in the spillway after our gigs were done. What crazy days...

Being with the Normals had a few advantages; too bad it wasn't money. I went with them as far as New York, but to stay in a 36 degree loft on Grand St in SOHO with no money for cigs and heat for two hours a day in October, I came back to warm NOLA. There were too many personalities and egos there anyway. A shame, as the talent was incredible. I still see Chris Luckette and Steve Walters once in a while. Chris and I went to nursery school together! HA! With the Norms, I got to mix sound for the debuts, (and any time they opened for us), of two local bands that did well. One was the "Totally Cold", and we all know what happened with them. The other was a group called the Rat Finks. Who'd have known that a simple name change to the Red Rockers would do so much for them?

Lots of time and work at Ol' Man Rivers. Sherman was an absolute prince. The bands that played there! Patti Smith, The Ramones, The B-52's, Johnny & Edgar Winter, BB King (and the infamous kidnapping of Lucille), Rick Derringer and others. I was lucky enough to mix for Jimmy Robinson and Woodenhead. What an incredible local talent.

The direction I got from Carlo Nuccio got me here, through several junctions and his Facebook page. Carlo's brother, Jerry, was with the Topcats and I took over sound from Ted Modica, one of their first engineers. Carlo is an amazing musician and I can remember him being in a band with lots of the old friends mixture called "Seven". Double drummer rock band that played at "The Place Across the Street" from the Showboat. If I remember right, it was Carlo on one set, Jeff Hicks on the other; Ronnie Hufft on lead guitar, Charlie Cuccia (Jake the Snake) on vocals/guitar and I'm hazy on bass, might have been Mike Delaserta - great, but unsung musician. WAY before their time...

If I'm wrong on any of that, all I can do is blame it on the 714!

Sherman introduced me to a country band that literally eliminated my taste for doing live sound after being on the road with him for six months. David Alan Coe. Nuff said...

When at Sound City, we had the contract to do all the sound at the Blue Room, so there were lots of great gigs there. The Pointer Sisters, Temptations and Tina Turner come to mind. All pros, except for the Pointers. They were legends in their own minds.

Plus, installed the AV system in the Saenger when it reopened initially. Amazing experience. Crawling around in spaces that noone had been in fifty plus years.

Wow. If i sound self-centered, I'm catching up on what you guys have been writing for since 07! But I will be back. Harvey Hornet, we have got to know each other... Must have been the Fat Cat Club in Gretna or maybe Spankys?
    I know THAT hit a memory nerve!

Jes "gfgjester"

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Welcome to the board; don't be a stranger.

Jes,

I think Journey was after Nick.

You know that Dino Kruse passed away right? He and Marty were very good friends.

I saw Rob the other night at the Jimmy's reunion show. It was great catching up with him.

Actually, I just found out yesterday. Dean is how I originally hooked up with the band. He and Marty were guitar whores and Dean was always bringing different ones for him to try out. Jesus... Chrohn's. We all pay for our rock n' roll lifestyle in the end! Heres the info I found on him...

Self-styled guitar slinger and larger-than-life character Dino Kruse cranked out gritty blues rock and soul in his native New Orleans throughout the 1980s and '90s. He also worked as a deejay, veejay and vintage guitar dealer, accumulating colorful tales to match his rock star persona and presentation. Kruse died in November in Little Rock, Ark., following a long battle with Crohn's disease. Friends and former bandmates come together Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Benegal II in Metairie for a memorial jam session in Kruse's honor. Expected participants include Jeff Jicks, Charlie Cucci, George Neyrey, Jimmy Messa, Tony Sinopli, Stephie and the White Sox, Johnny J & the Hitmen, Kim Carson, members of AZIF and Danny Reid, the event's organizer.

Dean's Mom's little green house on Clearview and his beat up 64 Ford Comet convertible. Him and Reese, the old DJ from Fletchers...

MY GOD! What amazing times. BTW, I got an e-mail from David Brewton last night of the Normals. He's living near Athens, GA now and still burning the torch for the band. Chris & Steve are still local and brooding Charlie Hanson owns a bar in Chinatown, NY.

Man, am I glad I found this forum. Now if anyone could tell me what happened to John Jung, the guy who owned Sound City.

Thanks for ALL the great info y'all put here!

Jes

Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    I never got to see them play, I was a little young to get into the bars they played. But, I do remember they played a bar that used to exist here in LaPlace pretty often.

I had a cassette copy of their album once upon a time, not sure what happened to it.
    There was a popular bar was called the Chez Ami (directly across from Airline Motors) and another one behind the bowling alley that I've forgotten the name of (which is where I saw them once). More than likely they also played the Chez Ami because most touring bands played there (Black Oak Arkansas, Johnny Van Zant, TQ & The Topcats, etc.) but their show at the other club is the only concert I ever remember being held there......although I'm sure there were others.

Quote Originally Posted by gfgjester View Post
    Wow, what a thread. Wish I'd have found it a long time ago.
    I ended up being the soundman for the Normals, the Topcats & Oz/(turned into Lillian Axe).........We all used to do the BB Gun wars thing in the spillway after our gigs were done. What crazy days............Sherman introduced me to a country band that literally eliminated my taste for doing live sound after being on the road with him for six months. David Alan Coe............installed the AV system in the Saenger.
    Jes "gfgjester"

Whoa!!! How in the hell did I wind up on this site? I also toured with the Topcats (just after their original LP release) and before moving on to San Francisco/Los Angeles and much larger things. I also got involved with the Spillway BB gun wars (including the Banquet one year)--Jim & Tom Baldwin, Billy Gregory, etc........rigged a number of shows at the Saengar and now at the Mahalia.......and heard some stories about Coe tours (even when they were driving through the south in August the road was filled with snow)........Small World

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    One night at Jimmy's in the early 80's, I got a chance to see Greg Wright. He was a guy who looked a lot like Jimi Hendrix. Coincidentally, he played left handed. Like Jimi, he was a left hander who played a right handed guitar (flipped over). He put on an awesome show. He's in this very short clip (and many years after I saw him) at the very end on the left hand side of the screen.

. Others thought he was great too....he went on to play for Michael Jackson and Mick Fleetwood's Zoo (of Fleetwood Mac). http://www.greggwright.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    What about Razor White? Weren't they a local band? I seem to remember a couple of friends of mine being fond of them.

Anyone remember Multiple Places? Album was called Duncan, after the lead singer who had killed himself.
    . Phil Anselmo (of Pantera and Down) was the lead singer of Razor White....and yes, he had big hair, make up and a much higher voice. Psycho Steve was the drummer and is now a key figure of the Haunted House in Metairie (by the bridge) that makes a fortune every year.

Yep at Ole Man River's

WOW. Sometimes I love Google. First I am sure I know a bunch of you folks . My name is Danny Reid , I've been a 30+yr musician from N.O. I played in a few punky kinda bands WAY back before they called it punk. I moved to NYC and played for a couple yrs with Sylvain Sylvain of the New York Dolls . I also played for many yrs off and on with my old bud Dino Kruse R.I.P . Would love to know the real names behind the screen names , PM me if you need to

Aura

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Yep. Can't believe I forgot Zebra. If I'm not mistaken, the Paddlewheel and the Palace Saloon are one and the same (place). Penny Lane and the Topcats weren't my cup of tea but I definitely saw them a few times.

Other bands coming to mind are Royal Orleans (later to be known as Persia) and 24K. There was another local group that did Yes and Jethro Tull to the "T". They were called Aura.

B-97 did an album with all local bands. They used to play the cuts from their album on the air. 24K's song was called "I Gotta Know".

And how can I forget Ezra (and the only band better than them...Better than Ezra)?
    Thanks for the compliment. I was one of the guitarists in Aura. The band was together from 1978 until 1982. Members included myself (Milton Borel), Ricky Windhorst, Craig Courtney, Tony Serio, Mitchell Marks (RIP), Bill Millar, Dean Vallecillo, Scott Rodriguez, Steve Hill, Ron Keller and Melvin Volz. We did Yes and Jethro Tull but also did excellent versions of Crack the sky's tunes. Aura broke up in 1982 after trying to adjust with the times and adding songs by The Cars, The Tubes and The Producers, confusing both the audience and ourselves. We were great friends with both Zebra and 24K, since we were all managed by Big J Productions.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Oh wow, the names in this thread. Really brings me back

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Oh wow, the names in this thread. Really brings me back
    Different board. Different City

Thread Information