Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Pain of the New Orleans Sports Fan

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Thanks for posting derick.

Failure is always an option Contributor
    Ok...

I do not post in this part of the board because I am in Chicago and not seeing the team on a day to day basis IMO disqualifies me from having an opinion about it. But I think it is time for me to say what needs to be said to those that say that ther people of NOLA have their priorities screwed up....

I am a Andrew survivor. A storm that devistated most of southern dade county. my family lost their entire lives to this storm and through it all, the "normal" things in life became increasingly important to the point of obsession. NFL football was the only time we could get a break from the suffering and devistation of not just a small area but an entire county

Katrina as a storm could have been much worse in the strict sense that NOLA did not take a DIRECT hit. but the storm of that magnitude set the dominoes falling. The levees broke and that is what (from the info I saw ) caused the most severe damage. Katrina and Andrew are similar, but Katrina took a Whole region of the country out. Andrew just swept from the atlantic to the gulf.

And you are wrong in saying trhat people dont think about 9/11 anymore. I think about it every freaking day . Why? you may ask because one of my closest friends is NYPD. and was on site afterwards and he still wakes up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. I have a family member who works for the Dept of Homeland Security and for them 9/11 is what fuels them to continue to work hard everyday and to stand at post and protect us...

In short my dear sir...

"Take heed how thou awakest thy sleeping sword of war... take heed..."

THAT IS ALL

St. Bernard Eagles for life NicosiaBuzz377's Avatar
    look i dont want to downplay any other disasters or natural occurances, but nothing compares to what Katrina did to me personally. NOT 9/11, NOT THE OK CITY BOMBING, AND NO TORNADO IN HISTORY EVEN COMES CLOSE. DONT EVER TRY TO COMPARE IT. I lived in St. Bernard Parish. My entire family, and 99.9 percent of my friends and 99.9 percent of their families were from there. NOT ONE HOUSE OUT OF 27 THOUSAND WAS SPARED, NOT ONE BUISNESS. NOT ONE PERSON FROM MY HOMETOWN WASNT AFFECTED, and to top if off, i have to drive through the 9th ward tragedy to get to my personal one. I lost an entire way of life as i knew it. I lost everything i have ever known, and everyone i ever knew was affected and contuines to be. Ive had friends fighting in the thick of Bagdad who have said that my hometown looks 100 times worse. not to downplay any other disasters whether they be man made or natural, but nothing will ever compare to what i have endued and my friends and family have endured. I was crushed during 9/11 and the ok bombing, but coming back to my home post katrina and seeing what i saw in my hometown cant even hold weight. How many people can honestly say thier ENTIRE city was destroyed? STB wasnt some small rural area like tornadoes usually hit, it wasnt metropolis either. IF I WANT TO USE THE SAINTS AND HORNETS AS MY OUTLET FROM THE PAIN AND STRESS AND SUFFERING I DEAL WITH ON A DAILY BASIS, NOBODY WILL EVER JUDGE ME OR TELL ME DIFFERENT, ESP SOMEONE WHO HASNT EXPIRENCED WHAT I HAVE, AND LAST I CHECKED ST BERNARD PARISH WASNT IN OKLAHOMA.

I happen to agree with WCH that the last comparable disaster was the 1907 San Francisco Earthquake (or the 1900 Galveston Hurricane if you want to go a few years further back). It's the closest in terms of total devastation to an area.

For a while, New Orleans was the New Atlantis.

St. Bernard Eagles for life NicosiaBuzz377's Avatar
    and another thing, if you guys from OKC dont understand the passion and love it takes to be a pro sports fan, then you support is fake and some smoke and mirrors to lure a team to your town. nothing more, nothing less. IF YOU CANT UNDERSTAND WHY I LOVE THESE TO TEAMS AS MUCH AS I DO, YOUR NOTHING BUT A GLORIFIED BANDWAGONER. no your worse than one......because you dont even have a team yet. If you dont understand why this man feels the way he does, you honestly dont deserve a team in any sport. filling seats dosent always equate a pro sports town. its the passion, the love you have for the team. IF THIS IS THE ATTITUDE OKC HAS, I HOPE OKC FALLS FLAT ON ITS FACE LIKE SAN ANTONE. if you dont understand this mans passion, quit fooling youself, because you arent major league.

Thread Information