Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Shinn puts foot in mouth again (Times Picayune Story)

Okay Hornets execs....please keep us out of suspenders and show us how you're going to 'slither' out of this one. Or, will you just ignore it all together?

C'mon guys & gals...do the right thing....grow a pair and commit.....Do that, prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, and we're all over it and behind you 100%, ticket sales, merchandise and all. Whad-a-ya-say?

I believe this is how it will go down: OKC will prove everyone wrong about next year by selling out most of their games. I looked on the Hornets site to look at getting some tickets for next season in OKC and already they have sold out lower sideline, lower end (1st 3), lower end & club sideline for their season game packages.

I know the Hornets will be successful here next year because OKC wants to prove that it is a major league city whether it's the Hornets or some other team. I think it will be like OU football where it is almost impossible to get tickets at Owen's field and they seat over 82,000 fans.

People in OKC love the professional atmosphere and seeing other professional teams; I think it's a very bad situation between OKC & NOLA because this is NOLA's team but I know how business works. Greed control rich business owner's and that will determine whether the Hornets return to their proper place.

Don't let Stern fool you guys because he is in it too, remember he's an Attorney and they know how to play with words. Think about this, why would Stern award a city, state who doesn't have an NBA team to host the All-Star game if money wasn't an issue? LV is a money market and alot of my friends and family have left California to move to Nevada. Nevada has the fastest growing cities in the USA so Stern is just testing the waters.

Expansion is in the air and they are playing the game: LV, St. Louis, OKC, etc. Look at the wave that this has started. $$$$$$ This is good for the NBA overall to have cities compete like this. I bet the suits are licking their chops. Seattle, Portland and Sacramento have now stepped up and complained about major money losses. Why now? Because they know that other cities are interested in having an NBA team.

Say tuned for upcoming deceptive episodes.

ghostryder, one wrench:

If OKC proves beyond all doubt it's capability to shower an owner in cash, Stern's not gonna want Shinn to be the owner. He'll gladly stick by his guns of "honoring the lease" and send the Hornets back and use OKC against Seattle and Portland.

Your probably right, Avatar but I think Shinn will sell because he knows that he can get alot of money for the Hornets now that they are a up and rising team. He knows that he will not be wanted in NOLA, especially after the way that he treated them. He will probably sell the team or a majority share to some of the rich oil men in OKC.

They are trying to buy him out anyway but I think the lease is an issue. I just don't trust them in anything they do or think. It reminds me of when I was living in California and Raiders moved from Oakland to Los Angeles and back to Oakland, it was a big mess in Cali.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostryder007
    Your probably right, Avatar but I think Shinn will sell because he knows that he can get alot of money for the Hornets now that they are a up and rising team. He knows that he will not be wanted in NOLA, especially after the way that he treated them. He will probably sell the team or a majority share to some of the rich oil men in OKC.
    See, I doubt that Shinn sells. One, he's said that he's not looking to give up majority ownership of the team by a press release. (When you gotta do the equivalent of screaming from the rooftops it's not a good thing). Two, this is Shinn's financial rock, here's how me makes money. Finally, he is fully aware of one basic fact: If he sells the Hornets, he is out of the NBA forever!

All of that equals Shinn hanging onto the Hornets -- even with the plans of several folks in OKC to take the Hornets away.

I remember hearing Shinn once say the Hornets are his life and when he has no more life they will be for his sons.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Well, I am glad y ou have y ourself convinced, ghost. Shinn sells the team to Okie interests, who in turn break the lease in La. Which results in a court battle where La. attempts to specifically enforce the lease against the Hornets and their assigns. And assuming the Hornets and their assigns win, they are willing to pay the damage award, which is estimated between $30M-$75M + the relocation fee which is thought to be double what Shinn paid to come to NOLA ($30M), which will be $60M. So you guys buy the team for at least $200M, probably more, plus pay the $90M in fees to make the move. Total is up to at least $290M, probably more like $400M or $450M. And once you have accomplished all of that and are ready to pull the trigger, you think Stern will just sign off on the deal. After all, he isn't concerned about franchise movement in the league, especially where clubs have signed tight deals with governments in order to extract favorable lease deals with those governments. I mean this isn't a true business consideration, is it? At the end of the day, it's all just a business, right? Ok, well there you go. Thanks for plotting out the future for us. I hope you don't mind me distilling the facts to their bare essence, which is what I have done for you.

OKC Hornets 2007!!!

Time for some football!!!

I just know how business works whether it's the NBA or anything else. It doesn't matter who OKC get but there will be an NBA team in OKC within 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostryder007
    I just know how business works whether it's the NBA or anything else. It doesn't matter who OKC get but there will be an NBA team in OKC within 3 years.
    And I don't disagree with that.

The golden apple of discord is that the team that will end up in OKC will be the Hornets.

The Hornets have a binding situation to New Orleans. (And no matter how many folks say "Deals are made to be broken" they really aren't).

Orlando is now building a new Arena. That means that OKC's team will be either an expansion franchise OR the Blazers, Sonics or Kings.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    If I were to bet on it, I would disagree with you. Who's up for a move? I will give you this. I heard tonight that Portland has become David Stern's #1 priority, which I find interesting. Would he really allow that team to walk from that market if the government doesn't pony up money?

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    If I were to bet on it, I would disagree with you. Who's up for a move? I will give you this. I heard tonight that Portland has become David Stern's #1 priority, which I find interesting. Would he really allow that team to walk from that market if the government doesn't pony up money?
    He really may. But in order to get money, he will need a credible threat. OKC is that. New Orleans isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar
    He really may. But in order to get money, he will need a credible threat. OKC is that. New Orleans isn't.
    I still can't imagine the Trail Blazers leaving Portland, mostly because of the divisional realignment that would invariably happen in that event (seems like that was taken up in a thread a few weeks ago). All that and the team is reeling ON the court too, especially since both their Cs (Ratliff and Przybilla) are out with injuries. THAT has really killed them.

OTOH, Paul Allen, by some accounts, seems to be the living embodiment of the maxim that a fool and his money are soon parted.
    !

I don't see Stern, despite what anyone has said, being in favor of moving the Hornets out of NO if Shinn does sell them. Allowing this to happen, assuming someone comes along and spends the wads of cash necessary to do so, would mean that the NBA is seen as signing off on a deal where the city/state get screwed in their lease agreement.

Okay, okay, to those of you that say they don't get screwed because the new owners paid the penalty to get out of the lease, I understand. My bottom line is that I believe that the city/state do get screwed because their team is taken away, the obviously primary tennant of the arena, and the area looses a major part of the economy, as well as the bragging rights and pride/prestige of having a team.

If Stern would allow that to happen, he would weaken the standing of the NBA, and all the other teams therein for future negotiations for all of the other arenas. This would make his life that much more difficult, and in the long term would cut into both the league and all the teams bottom line with bigger escape clauses, less wiggle room etc.

Quote Originally Posted by defuz
    I don't see Stern, despite what anyone has said, being in favor of moving the Hornets out of NO if Shinn does sell them. Allowing this to happen, assuming someone comes along and spends the wads of cash necessary to do so, would mean that the NBA is seen as signing off on a deal where the city/state get screwed in their lease agreement.

Okay, okay, to those of you that say they don't get screwed because the new owners paid the penalty to get out of the lease, I understand. My bottom line is that I believe that the city/state do get screwed because their team is taken away, the obviously primary tennant of the arena, and the area looses a major part of the economy, as well as the bragging rights and pride/prestige of having a team.

If Stern would allow that to happen, he would weaken the standing of the NBA, and all the other teams therein for future negotiations for all of the other arenas. This would make his life that much more difficult, and in the long term would cut into both the league and all the teams bottom line with bigger escape clauses, less wiggle room etc.
    Ding, ding, ding. Exactly

What would prevent the new Cavs owner from selling the team (and LeBron) to someone interested in moving them to Louisville or Brooklyn? Why wouldn't the Raptors owners take a big check to move to KC? How would the NBA tell the Wolves owner to not force Minneapolis to come up with a big check or he's leaving for greener pastures?

And it would happen. Because cities and states would be less keen to give lots of cash and amenities to owners fearing that they'd pay through the nose and then get shafted. So, owners would court other cities and create a revolving door of teams.

We'll be back to the barnstorming days of the Globetrotters.

It's Over Now !WE BACK NEW ORLEANS!!
    NEW ORLEANS HORNETS FOREVER UNTIL THE END OF TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Top ViciouS

Great pic TV......

Wow, that arena looks to be in deplorable condition.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by defuz
    Wow, that arena looks to be in deplorable condition.....

But on the bright side, the new floor floats!

Thread Information