Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I'm sorry Mr. Bristow (the I was wrong thread)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cap money can help in ways other than going after a straight up signing of a FA who may not want to come here or would demand the bank if he did. For example, a sign and trade deal involving two, three teams or whatever . . . worked out in advance with the FA and the other team(s) who don't have the luxury of cap space.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mallday
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cap money can help in ways other than going after a straight up signing of a FA who may not want to come here or would demand the bank if he did. For example, a sign and trade deal involving two, three teams or whatever . . . worked out in advance with the FA and the other team(s) who don't have the luxury of cap space.
    I've been saying that for a few days, but the "doom and gloom" crowd won't discuss it. I can't figure out if it's because people don't understand or don't want to understand. It's all about "no one will sign here".

Our flexibility and options are almost limitless. There are other scenarios you didn't touch on that are possible as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mallday
    Maybe I don't see it, but I do not understand that scenario. I know logistically how it can happen, but logically, I cannot fully understand. Why would any team in the NBA trade us a star quality player that we can build around just because we have cap space? I just cannot understand how that is even a consideration. If another team is looking to dump a salary in order to get ready for free agency (e.g. the Clippers last year with Ely and House), I understand that. And we may be able to get a couple of those types of bargains. However, I do not see us rebuilding this team that way. What would we have to offer in a trade for a star quality player? I doubt we would give up our #1 this year, but maybe that is the scenario people are thinking of. That is our best tradable commodity for a star player IMO. I hope we at least get one building block in free agency (or trade if that is possible) in the offseason. An athletic scoring 4 who can defend or a lights out scoring 3 who can defend would be nice.

The Franchise Contributor rockerhornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    I know I'm a little on the crazy side .... ask anyone, they'll tell you I lost my mind ages ago.
    I didn't even know he had one in the first place . I was wrong as well.

Thread Information