Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm sorry Mr. Bristow (the I was wrong thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    Based on the responses on this thread, I guess I was one of only a couple of guys who were wrong. You are right, "not many do". Reading this forum for the past 2 days, I've read so many opinions and predictions that would seem flat out wrong, but maybe I misread them...

If you are going to hold others accountable, starting with yourself isn't a bad idea (not talking to you Fuz, just a general comment).
    When he finishes the job, I'll be more than glad to give him all the credit or blame that he deserves.

Right now, although I know certain things had to be done before the team could get better, all he's done is cut out the "cancer", he still hasn't cured the patient. It's a bit premature to start the cannonization of Allan Bristow, even though he probably got the most he could for damaged goods.

I reserve my right to remain skeptical until I see the finished product. If Bristow continues to improve the talent level of the team like has thus far, then we'll be allright. If this is as good as it's going to get, we're in for a rough ride. He's done what's been expected of him to date and I'm pulling for him to keep that up.

Like Bristow said, these moves aren't about what we got now, but what it allows the team to do in the future - that's why while I am not happy with the return we got for BD, I fully understand why circumstances resulted in such a low return and I can reserve my full evaluation and admission that I was wrong until later.

Besides, I like the little smiley.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    I'm not just talking about Bristow S-W. I'm talking about the "NO WAY BD's traded", "they'll never trade both" comments, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    I guess the real test will be in a few years. Who here will be willing to admit they were wrong when they said this BD trade was a huge mistake. I know if it doesn't work out, I'll admit that it might have been a mistake . . . but considering the situation with BD, we had to do something. It's not like he wanted to play here or considered this his "franchise".
    Thats a tricky one. I don't know if "wrong" will be the right label. I think BD HAD to be traded by the Hornets. That doesn't mean he won't do well elsewhere. I think he'll settle back into being the same old BD, but I may be wrong. We'll see. Regardless of how he plays at GS or whereever else he may end up, the Hornets did the right thing in moving him.

I'm not just talking about Bristow S-W. I'm talking about the "NO WAY BD's traded" types of comments, etc.
    O.K., that wasn't clear. BTW, I was just taking your post as an opportunity to throw out some more thoughts.

Stupid couillon, BD!

None of that really matters.

The Hornets are about to build a new practice facility next to the Arena and exercise an EXTENSION on their lease. It's just more uninformed jibberish from the normal suspects.
    Leases are worth no more than the paper they are printed on. We all should be aware of that fact by now. And a practice facility in and of itself will not keep the team here. It's easy to bash the media when they say bad things about you, but the fact remains that there are perceptions about Shinn, the Hornets, and the city as an NBA market. The jury is still out on the first two because the honeymoon has been extended. As for the third, well, we haven't exactly been filling the seats.

I don't know enough about the situation in Charlotte, and whether Shinn is in it to win it or to guard his bottom line. But our bottom line is whether Shinn is committed to building a competitive franchise that consistently draws the fans. As I said, these moves have impressed me; now it's just wait-and-see.

We have this discussion -- about the national media -- every once in a while. All you have to do to get a feel about how wrong the "national media" types can be about big-picture stuff like the business issues facing a franchise is to search back through the posts from before the team formally moved. The ESPN guys and the CNNSI guys and other experts were convinced that it would never happen (heck, that's how ol' .02 got his nickname).

I would say that the best takes on what's really behind the BD trade can be gotten from the local media -- and they're uniformly in favor of the trade. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing such unanimity from this bunch on anything of significance in a while. (The Ricky Williams deal comes to mind.)

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime
    Fans who know a lot about basktball and the hornets will love the BD deal or atleast like it enough to see what comes out of it. youre everyday fans are gonna hate this because BD is gone and now they dont no what to do with theire Davis jersys. love this deal and i think it shows that Bistrow is one of the NBA's premier GM's. A lot beter then Gerry West(they guys who has selected more draft busts then anyone else)
    So are you trying to say that anyone who does not agree with you or the deal does not know much about basketball? That is a strong comment. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do not consider myself to just be an "everyday fan" and I do not like the deal. If it turns out that Bristow does a wonderful job rebuilding the team with the cap space and BD continues with injuries and is nothing special, I will admit that my opinion was wrong.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellessyou
    I don't know enough about the situation in Charlotte, and whether Shinn is in it to win it or to guard his bottom line. But our bottom line is whether Shinn is committed to building a competitive franchise that consistently draws the fans. As I said, these moves have impressed me; now it's just wait-and-see.
    All you really need to know is that the CLT fan base turned on Shinn when he started dating a cheerleader, he was also brought up on rape charges (but was found innocent). From that moment on the city wanted Shinn to sell the team, they didn't want to build him a new arena, and the fans forced both Shinn and the Hornets out of Clt. ESPN and plenty of other national media outlets took the CLT fans' side, so since then Shinn can do nothing right.

You don't build a practice facility if the team is going to move. And that is what we are talking about, since the day the team relocated here (before the first shot was taken in the arena) ESPN and other new outlets have said the team would not stay here long term. In fact most "predicted" they move again in 3 years, yet here we are 3 years later.

If you really want a good background check on this info and not just take our word for it, search here or through google for articles . . . only then you will see how hated Shinn actually is by the CLt fans and media. I usually take the media's side, they are really only reporting the news, I just have a problem when opinion is reported as fact . . . such as Stein or Ford saying the Hornets are in the process of moving to Vegas, Stl, etc. You might also learn why we call Alridge "ole 3 cents".

The best articles on the subject are going to be from the CLT Observer. Read those articles and let's us know if you think the media handled the situation fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by defuz
    The media is all hype. So many of these folks are jumping on the bandwagon of New Orleans bashing. We should all be used to it by now. The media in C A N A D A thinks we're the worst franchise in any sport? Yeah, they have a front row seat. What a joke. We're down now, so it's fun to laugh at and kick someone there.

As we have the worst record, any reporter who criticizes us simply points to our record as justification of them being correct. It's an easy way for them to inflate their own ego & reputation at our expense. It's crap. When we start playing better, which we will, I beleive that they'll jump on the 'up and comer' bandwagon. What they're calling terrible moves by Bristow today will quietly be re-labelled as shrewd cap moves a year from now.

So many reporters simply reflect the current conditions of what's going on and posture like they're some leading authority on what they talk about. Hey, morons, if I start saying how good San Antonio, Miami or Seattle are doing right now, does that make me a savy expert? No, I'm simply a parrot who can keep my eyes open.

Keep it up Bristow and Scott, I have faith in you.

G O - H O R N E T S !!!!!!!
    So true.

Hall of Famer Contributor CC_Pelican's Avatar
    I was wrong in calling Bristow Burger flip too. So lump me in the burger flip crowd with HH. I think Bristow's a sous chef now. He'll have to work more magic like HH said to completely garner the "Master Chef" status, but he's on his way. I've been amazed with the play we've gotten out of the newbies. It shows me that with a few good FA's we'll have a chance to beat most teams on any night. We've played with SA, SAC, Indy, while not having some real starters. I'm optimistic he'll land some good FA's and by the middle of next season we'll be looking much better in the win column. I'm in it for the long haul and its beats the other sorry pro franchaise we have by a mile. Tom should be taking notes.

I didn't expect both to be traded, but how on Earth could I possibly make an accurate opinion on that with the limited things I hear. I haven't even said publicly that I didn't think both would be traded, so why should I apologise, especially seeing though I aren't involved at all with the management of this team.

We screwed up so bad yesterday, the ONLY reason we have been competitive historically is because we traded our too-expensive-to-resign-on-my-budget players for slightly worse ones on better deals. Watch for the sky to fall down.

I want to say sorry to Allan Bristow too though. I'm sorry you are such a (mod edit - veiled profanity ) .
    RIP #13 Bobby Phills

So it takes me a bit to settle down and admit the BD trade was the right thing to do (I always knew it was, just hard to come to terms with when it happened) - I still think we should have gotten a pick - but we had to move him. Still not backing off use of yet. Not until I see how this all plays out.

Bristow was referred to as a "burger flipper", but in reality, when he was out of basketball, he was a lifeguard. Do we have a smiley for that? Maybe that can be his promotion for now...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    Still not backing off use of yet. Not until I see how this all plays out.
    Loser denial!!!

There is lots of denial around here. The evidence is posted all over this site.

Banned
    Bristow was referred to as a "burger flipper", but in reality, when he was out of basketball, he was a lifeguard. Do we have a smiley for that? Maybe that can be his promotion for now...
    This will have to suffice for now. Bristow's chillin' like a villain....

I just can't find a lifeguard smiley. Hmmm, Baywatch

seeking a higher level Contributor Wingman's Avatar
    Damn, who knew cap space could be so hot!!

So is the Million $ Exception like...... Monkey Girl?????

Best I can do for now.

Might be too sexy for Allan though.

Infinite Power is da **** Contributor GrandAdmiral's Avatar
    I feel vindicated.

Banned
    Lifeguard, eh? Try this one on for size....

NOLA

10 points for the apology.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! irish thug 527's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime
    Fans who know a lot about basktball and the hornets will love the BD deal or atleast like it enough to see what comes out of it. youre everyday fans are gonna hate this because BD is gone and now they dont no what to do with theire Davis jersys. love this deal and i think it shows that Bistrow is one of the NBA's premier GM's. A lot beter then Gerry West(they guys who has selected more draft busts then anyone else)
    This kind of comment really gets me ****ed. I'm not an every day fan at all.. I've loved basketball and the NBA forever and will continue to do so.. and it's really insulting for you to say that about the BD deal. Because personally, I think the BD deal was crap. Think about it for a second. Dale Davis wants a buyout. Which means that we traded Baron Davis for Speedy Claxton. No draft picks.

Aren't you the one who said Baron Davis is the best pointguard in the NBA? I don't think he is, but you're satisfied with trading "the best pointguard in the NBA" as I've seen you call him (injured or not) for Speedy freaking Claxton? All to get cap space in an extremely weak free agency? Not to mention, we'll have to pay a little more than what we normally would have to. Again, no draft picks. No draft picks. No draft picks. Vince Carter got draft picks. We got no draft picks. No draft picks. We got no draft picks. Not a single pick. No picks. Nothing. Speedy Claxton, money to overpay people like Kyle Korver and Stromile Swift with, and that's it.

I wanted to trade BD. But if I thought for one second that the only player we'd be getting for him was Speedy Claxton, I would have said hold on to him. I want to be proved wrong. HH's opinions make me feel a little better since I know he knows what he's talking about. I still just can't see it.

By the way you're one to talk about people knowing anything about basketball.. Mr. "Chris Paul is the best PG to come out of college," and "I'd bench Dwyane Wade every game if he were on my team." Yeah you know what you're talking about. Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by irish thug 527
    This kind of comment really gets me ****ed. I'm not an every day fan at all.. I've loved basketball and the NBA forever and will continue to do so.. and it's really insulting for you to say that about the BD deal. Because personally, I think the BD deal was crap. Think about it for a second. Dale Davis wants a buyout. Which means that we traded Baron Davis for Speedy Claxton. No draft picks.

Aren't you the one who said Baron Davis is the best pointguard in the NBA? I don't think he is, but you're satisfied with trading "the best pointguard in the NBA" as I've seen you call him (injured or not) for Speedy freaking Claxton? All to get cap space in an extremely weak free agency? Not to mention, we'll have to pay a little more than what we normally would have to. Again, no draft picks. No draft picks. No draft picks. Vince Carter got draft picks. We got no draft picks. No draft picks. We got no draft picks. Not a single pick. No picks. Nothing. Speedy Claxton, money to overpay people like Kyle Korver and Stromile Swift with, and that's it.

I wanted to trade BD. But if I thought for one second that the only player we'd be getting for him was Speedy Claxton, I would have said hold on to him. I want to be proved wrong. HH's opinions make me feel a little better since I know he knows what he's talking about. I still just can't see it.
    Word.

I really don't know what to think about the BD's trade because obviously we didn't get much. The part i don't like with this deal is that we don't have any player to build around and i don't see any in the free agency. Maybe there are some players in the draft who can claim that status but it's way too early to tell. We're just a team with no face, so i'm kind of lost.

So what do we do now ? We can basicaly draft any position except SG because every single player we have on the Starting 5 is upgradeable (is that even a word ?). My best case scenario would be to draft Chris Paul (there is no great PG in the FA) and sign Joe Johnson & Stro Swift in the Free Agency.

PG - Chris Paul
    SG - J.R. Smith
    SF - Joe Johnson
    PF - Stromile Swift
    C - Jamaal Magloire

Ok, so now we have freed up all of this money to go and do something. I think it is premature to throw out accolades to Bristow until we see how he spends all of that available cap money. That will be the true test of his abilities.

Thread Information